Struggling to find the perfect laptop

Hi, I'm a uni student, and wanna purchase my first laptop, and I'm new to this and don't know where to start.
I don't want it to be a "gamer" laptop, but I want it to be capable to run lighter games eg:lego games. I was thinking an i5, 6 gigs of ram, and HDD only (I can settle with 500 gigs, but prefer 1tb). I don't need CD/DVD drive, nor numeric numpad, I want a casual machine that can do basic student stuff, is okay for movies and occasionally, some games, and better-than-mediocre batteries. Also I was thinking 15.6", but I don't care about full HD. My max budget is 620-650 $. What would you recommend? Also side question, should I buy a laptop with built-in windows 10 or clean and should I buy the OS separately?

Attached: HP-245-G4-P1b38PA-Laptop-9697-1[1].jpg (540x394, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E480/p/20KNCTO1WWENUS2/customize?
gearbest.com/laptops/pp_786412.html
amazon.com/Acer-SF314-54-56L8-i5-8250U-Windows-Silver/dp/B07BJT451N
gearbest.com/laptops/pp_648196.html?wid=1349303
bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-dark-ash-silver/6124570.p?skuId=6124570
amazon.com/HP-Flagship-Touchscreen-Quad-Core-FX-9800P/dp/B07F5L6XJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531087936&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hp envy x360 amd&psc=1
aqua.hu/acer-aspire-a315-41g-r97s-laptop-win-10-home-fekete-nxgybeu012-633758.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why the fuck would you pay for the OS twice. Do some basic research.

15.6 sucks ass to carry around, get a 14". Gaming on laptops is a meme but trash like Lego games should run on an integrated GPU.

www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E480/p/20KNCTO1WWENUS2/customize?

T420/T430

What is with the THICC bottom bezel?

I meant, some stores preinstall windows 10 and sell the computer for a higher price, but some just sell the hardware with only ubuntu installed

Look into something with a ryzen 2500/2700u. I picked up a hp x360 a week ago and I've been pleasantly surprised by the apu so far

I would follow this suggestion, despite there's no "new" T420 or T430.

If you think do you wanna buy HP, I will suggest you to buy asus instead.

way too expensive, my budget doesn't strech that far. max is 650$

>gearbest.com/laptops/pp_786412.html

Attached: notepro.jpg (1280x853, 230K)

>telling a moron to buy and deal with chinkshit
lol

>implying all products nowadays aren't made in China, even the Macbooks.
>also, you're an idiot

hardly anyone does this, and the price difference is insignificant

>unironically recommending an OEM chinese manufacturer, with zero support in western countries, to a moron asking for laptop advice on Jow Forums

you are trolling or a fucking retard

only difference is the tech support, that's about it.
IF Xiaomi were to sell these laptops freely in the US and even open a few stores and offer warranty like the rest of the US brands (Apple, HP, Dell, etc), people would buy them asap.

Just because a company isn't popular in the US doesn't mean they make shit products.
Besides, even the big players here outsource all their shit to China anyways.
>not really a better "quality" product by any means, just capitalism at its best.

your price kind of fucks you over on anything halfways decent for anything more then basic tasks for new laptops
amazon.com/Acer-SF314-54-56L8-i5-8250U-Windows-Silver/dp/B07BJT451N

consider getting more money, looking at 1-2 gens ago, or used.

you are recommending something with zero fucking support, a shitty, dubious at best warranty, unproven track record, for ~$200 OVER HIS BUDGET, to someone with CLEARLY VERY LITTLE UNDERSTANDING OF HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE

do you have speedholes in your forehead?

Attached: aa6.jpg (1000x989, 106K)

>you are recommending something with zero fucking support, a shitty, dubious at best warranty, unproven track record, for ~$200 OVER HIS BUDGET, to someone with CLEARLY VERY LITTLE UNDERSTANDING OF HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE

>Typical 'murican

what does this even mean, even if that shit had a good warranty its 200 fucking dollars more than what his budget is

If you care about aesthetics, get the Huawei mate x, otherwise, get a t470s or last gen carbon x1.

>Huawei mate x
>650$
chose one

Bu... but it does have a good warranty, just not in the US though.

Well, if he can't afford to buy it, then he should clearly not spend money on shit.
Just save up to pay bills and other stuff that's more important.

buy a cheap laptop and a desktop

>just not in the US though
and that's where he apparently is
>save up 800$ US for a chinkshit laptop with mediocre specs
fuck off, chang

>save up 800$ US for a chinkshit laptop with mediocre specs
>implying major pc manufactures don't already do this
>being this new

Attached: yeah_ok.gif (200x200, 1.92M)

>I'm a uni student, and wanna purchase my first laptop

Ah summer.
When we get the EXACT SAME question asked 10 times a day,

-> 2nd hand Thinkpad now fuck off back to /b/

>can same specs for less with a warranty and service center based in his home country
>no get this instead

¥200 has been deposited in your account.

you just described the shittiest possible laptop, which happens to be the exact description of every walmart 600$ laptop from hp/asus/acer/toshiba ecc.

it's big and heavy but in that price range has a shitty unbearable screen, battery life sucks cause it's not an ultrabook, the i5 cannot serve you well even in a big form factor but it will overheat because of cheap shitty coolers, ram is not enough to be cheap but not enough to be enough, the HDD is a terrible choice cause after the first day it will become so slow it will be like living in 2009.

Buy a used macbook from 2013/14 if you want a decent ultrabook or buy an x230 if you want the ultrabook experience in the 200$ range, with the rest of the money you can buy a ps4 and a TV for gaming. a computer like the one you described belongs to the trash

e480 with the 8130u, 8gb ram, 1080p IPS screen, and 500gb hdd should run about 670 usd. wipe the drive and install ubuntu or something. the lego games are old enough that they should work fine in wine.

you would be much better off saving up another hundred bucks to go for an l480 like posted though. the e series is basically the shitty consumer ideapad internals rebadged as a "thinkpad", whereas the L series is the T series internals with slightly cheaper build quality. just don't drop it or some shit and you'll be fine.

acer stopped making 100% utter trash around last year or so for its mid spec swift line. no word on its reliability but the specs arent bad:
i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD

Different user here. I just ordered a dell inspiron 15 7000 with an 8th gen i7-8550U, 8gb of ram, 1TB hdd

Did I buy a mediocre product? Will this thing inevitably suffer from overheating issues like crappy HP laptops?

Dell usually has cooling figured out, you could have done alot worse.

Thanks based user :^)

Consider a refurbished Dell

Or...

still low priced consumer trash
well i don't know but how much you paid, anyway those are usually very well built, even if i don't know how much stuff like the hinges will last.
the CPU should be decent, 8gb is a bit too low for the rest (hopefully you can upgrade) and the mechanical HDD is always the bottleneck. buy a SSD as soon as possible, they're getting cheaper, hopefully you can afford a 512gb one

Fortunately, the laptop can be upgraded up to 32gb of memory. Ram prices are kind of high though. I'm looking at 16gb. I'll consider getting a SSD for the right price as well.

¥200 has been deposited in your account

Post your chink garbage machine

>swift 3 is trash
>inspirons are well built
d e l u s i o n a l

unless you got it cheap as all shit you fucked up, Precision>Lattitudes>inspiron

Post receipt for the money sent

Fuck. Well I'm only paying 250ish for it but I could've possibly gotten something like precision instead.

do you even have paypal in your third world shithole

Is this on sale yet anywhere in the EU or do you have to buy and have shipped from China?

Depending on specs, wouldn't mind having one and throwing arch on it.

>shithole
>born and raised american
>America
>shithole

Well said user.

I think Xiami has a store in Spain, so they do offer them in the EU afaik.

Why is it so hard to find;
>13" laptop
>16GB RAM
>i5/i7
>512gb SSD
>QHD
>10 hours+ battery life
>£1000 or less

Would you recommend this instead:
Dell XPS 15 Model 9570 i7-8750H/16GB/512GB SSD w/ GTX 1050 Ti Graphics Card with 4GB GDDR5

Thing is, I don't want a laptop that has the fan constantly running, which I fear something like that would suffer from due to the GTX. If it stays silent while not playing any games then I'm good. There's some dude on amazon saying the fan runs all the time anyway.

Do you really need "new"? T430 has USB3, SATA3, you can upgrade the WLAN card to get ac support, you can fit a 1080p IPS, you can fit a quad core, and you can swap the keyboard for an xx20 one.
Yes, I'm shilling T430 because I own one. I see no reason to switch to something newer though.

Do you rather have your PC melt or be cooled?
Your pick really.

OP here, thanks for the answers and advice. so, what are my best choices? chink, used, or poor thinkpad, that's all?

But it is 15"...

Gearbest has it priced as £626.94 before VAT and import tax....

20% VAT and god knows how much the import tax is?

I simply mean, I don't like dealing with a laptop constantly running its fan when I'm performing menial tasks like surfing the web. It's obnoxious and for some reason HP laptops majorly suck at cooling the internals so fans never stop running in my experience.

give me reference about this

>quad core
if you can, I would buy one.

They have other models too:
>gearbest.com/laptops/pp_648196.html?wid=1349303

Not that it will get super hot anyways if you just do light tasks on it.
For gaming that's a different story...

You can indeed use QC. You can't use AC without a very technical BIOS flash.

I have the perfect laptop for you OP
bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-dark-ash-silver/6124570.p?skuId=6124570
>$650
>looks like a blacked out macbook
>Decent hardware
>15.6" touchscreen and Windows Ink support if you wanna spend extra $$ on a pen to write on it with
>hard drive is really easy to replace if you want a SSD

This thing is pure sex trust me

Attached: hp-envy-x360-01.jpg (770x433, 45K)

I hear that the envy line is good but build quality is pretty meh and it is worth paying the extra for a spectre. Thoughts?

acer made pure shit until yesterday and suddenly is better than dell only for 2 decent models?
i don't even know them, but i bet 2 good reviews won't make an entire lineup reliable after years of cheap trash

No 16GB RAM model?

I don't see the problem with this.

Go for a Thinkpad

okay but I live in Europe, so we don't have bestbuy and my country's stores are selling it for way more, I don't know why though

As someone who's used both the intel and AMD variants of the Envy (and the intel Envy that isn't a 2 in 1), and the Intel version of the Spectre, that is 100% accurate, yes.

Maybe because they're showing you the one with the Intel processor, not the AMD one? Idk. There's also a bunch on Amazon if you use the words "hp envy x360 amd". First result I got:
amazon.com/HP-Flagship-Touchscreen-Quad-Core-FX-9800P/dp/B07F5L6XJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531087936&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hp envy x360 amd&psc=1

because if you're going to demand those specs you have to pay for them, lmfao.
settle for a 14" with a FHD screen and you can get that price. the only decent 13" you'll find are the thinkpad carbon, X series, and dell XPS

A Yoga 520 or 720 maybe?

hows build quality?

Traditional laptops are clunky as fuck. See if you can get a recertified Microsoft Surface from 4 or higher.

Jow Forums doesn't think about this but laptops are clunky as fuck to use when you're actually out of your home. A device where you can literally detach the whole keyboard is a godsend.

But anyways any laptop should also have a touchscreen because they actually improve productivity. Normally we think touchscreens are shit for input because our phones and tablets only come with a touchscreen. On a laptop that already has mouse and keyboard input you can use the touchscreen to click shit much faster.

Attached: Surface_Pro_4_in_library[1].jpg (1513x1298, 517K)

>pay for the OS
What
Microsoft has free downloadable windows ISOs in their website

t. basedboy

If you are okay with a used laptop and an "Ultrabook" laptop (meaning thin, SSD only, and non upgradable RAM), a good option is the HP EliteBook 1040 G3. I own one and it's a fantastic laptop.

Had my Inspiron since 2013 and it's used every day. It gets hot when gaming, but no other issues at all

Thanks for the info user

Not him but kinda funky. I've opened it up so that might be partly to blame, but it creaks if you forget to pop a tab back into place. I've been using it as a 2 in 1 and flipping it every which say and despite my complaints, I'd trust it. Everything but the APU is replaceable so that's good too.

get a job and buy pic related

Attached: apple-macbook-pro-touch-bar-15-inch-2017-4194.jpg (770x433, 44K)

>nothing but 4x USB C and a minijack
nope

OP here, how about this one?
'Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G-R0TY'

is this the one with the outdated processor?

holy shit that's gorgeous

okay, OP here, I may settle for this:
aqua.hu/acer-aspire-a315-41g-r97s-laptop-win-10-home-fekete-nxgybeu012-633758.html
sorry for linking hungarian site