EFF is a scam

Anyone here donated to EFF? I remember donating $50 like 3 years ago. Well, I just read this investigative report and EFF is nothing more than a corporate lobbying front for Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc.

>But the truth is that EFF is a corporate front. It is America’s oldest and most influential internet business lobby—an organization that has played a pivotal role in shaping the commercial internet as we know it and, increasingly, hate it. That shitty internet we all inhabit today? That system dominated by giant monopolies, powered by for-profit surveillance and influence, and lacking any democratic oversight? EFF is directly responsible for bringing it into being

Read the whole thing. It's shocking how corrupt EFF is:
thebaffler.com/salvos/all-effd-up-levine

They had me fooled! Were you fooled?

Is EPIC any better?

Attached: 1515347543123.png (1200x836, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thebaffler.com
apple.com/legal/privacy/law-enforcement-guidelines-us.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Privacy_Information_Center
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This makes me scrared of google even more. They have their claws hooked into everyone.

Attached: Clipboard01.png (3840x578, 248K)

>a corporate lobbying front for Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc.
Which is why they lobby for that California GDPR?
>thebaffler.com
Do you have an actual source?

fuck off stallman/FSF shill

>shilling for FOSS enterprise/software
That's not how it works.

You're a shitty author and an even shittier liar, stop advertising your dumpster fire that you call an article on Jow Forums

This is why the US will never get a consumer privacy oriented law like EU's GDPR... Google and Facebook have bought off everyone. It's impossible to get anything meaningful passed.

>You're a shitty author and an even shittier liar, stop advertising your dumpster fire that you call an article on Jow Forums
Here comes the jewgle/facejew shill. Fuck off and die.

EFF is not a friend of FSF.

>Which is why they lobby for that California GDPR?

LOL'd fucking hard. It's a fucking farce. Google or FB will kill that law and make it irrelevant.

>facejew
You're not even trying anymore

The author is a fucking moron.

Her qualifications as listed:

>Sally Thurer is an independent art director, graphic designer, illustrator and animator in New York City

Nothing technology related.

>Apple had the ability to unlock the phone, but it refused—on principle. Apple CEO Tim Cook decided to turn this minor confrontation with authority into a major public relations spectacle—a high stakes drama in which Apple played the hero and defender of the people, throwing its sleek (designed in California, assembled in China) corporate body upon the wheels and gears of America’s odious government surveillance machine. In a letter to Apple customers, Cook claimed that providing even one-time access to the FBI in what was clearly a legitimate criminal investigation would forever endanger iPhone and cloud users around the world. Silicon Valley and big business—including Google, Facebook, Amazon, AT&T, eBay, and Intel—sided with Apple and backed it in court against the Department of Justice.
Sally is too dumb to understand that the creation of a backdoor for one phone would set the case law precedent to unlock every phone, and that a separate branch of iPhone codeline that disabled protections could be leaked/hacked by a nation state, individual hackers or teams, another corporation, leaked by an Apple employee with a grudge, etc.

>The author is a fucking moron.
>
>Her qualifications as listed:
The author is Yasha Levine you shithead. That woman made the graphics.

continued
>EFF should have been leading the charge. And yet in what was arguably the greatest public dispute concerning the planet’s largest social networking platform, EFF was AWOL—nowhere to be found. As I continued scanning the privacy group’s website in the weeks after Mark Zuckerberg’s appearance on Capitol Hill, all the advice it offered to irate and concerned Netizens seeking to preserve their privacy on Facebook were pro forma notifications telling them to opt out of platform API sharing and download EFF’s Privacy Badger ad blocker extension for Chrome—a browser made by Google, a Silicon Valley surveillance giant.
Sally is too dumb to realize that Privacy Badger exists for Firefox too, and that the EFF has put out articles criticizing Facebook and telling users to protect their privacy in other ways for years.

EFF changing from protecting ISPs and a few hackers alone to broader goals comes in with the org growing along with the net and digital issues impacting the cigizenship more.

Why are you trying so hard to discredit? Why are you defending google and other shady corporations?

Attached: 1514950609133.png (1007x765, 1.16M)

Just stop. You're too retarded to even live.

Mea culpa, but the author misses the point anyways. The fact that someone can blog about technology issues and not fundamentally understand how under legal precedent Apple giving the FBI firmware that would bypass the iPhones protections on passcode bruteforce would not impact every iphone user because the FBI would have it anyways.

If you're too dumb to understand the actual implications of what the author asks for and her blatantly shitty criticisms, get the fuck as you understand nothing about tech.

Attached: 1505896417583.png (784x727, 531K)

Fuck off of Jow Forums

here
Correction: Yasha is a man, I made an assumption off the name. Point being, Yasha's criticisms are ill founded regardless of his gender.

>Yasha Levine is a Russian-American investigative journalist and author. Levine, who was born in the Soviet Union, is a former editor of Moscow-based satirical newspaper The eXile
Am I supposed to take this guy seriously?

What is EPIC?

exactly my point

>Apple had the ability to unlock the phone, but it refused—on principle

is the point though. they could unlock the phone because clearly they have the backdoor.

as a person you can't be compelled to incriminate yourself, but the government has the right through a court order to compel a vendor to do what they can to defeat it. there is no other industry where this doesn't already happen. Apple already has every single faggot's "private keys" in escrow, governed by an opaque system set up and governed by apple. by their own admission, they admit as much or an alternate means of defeating their own security (backdoor)

jesus fucking christ.

He's the only one making sense. Encryption either works or it doesn't you dumb bitch. If you unlock one iPhone or the FBI you've unlocked all of them.

>as a person you can't be compelled to incriminate yourself, but the government has the right through a court order to compel a vendor to do what they can to defeat it.
not in non-dictatorships, which is why the FBI gave up the fight over the San Bernardino shooter and went to Cellebrite for an exploit based unlock instead.

>there is no other industry where this doesn't already happen.
in computers backdoors exist for everyone, it's why we've had different treatment. Apple sends off private keys to the secure enclave and can't retrieve them by design for this reason

>Apple already has every single faggot's "private keys" in escrow, governed by an opaque system set up and governed by apple
only if the person uses icloud/imessage and then those private keys are in cloud. if you don't use icloud backup, the icloud messages on apple's servers are not retained for longer than the time to deliver to all devices, and on device side are undreadable without unlock.

actually read the amicus brief you dumbfuck

Stop sucking apples dick so much. You people are pathetic.

Apple blows in hardware (like how the butterfly keyboards are utterly defective) and makes serious software issues (e.g. how they design each iOS release to slow down your iphone so you want to buy a new one) but their stances on the San Bernardino shooting are absolutely correct.

It's like
>mcdonalds says they want to be able to serve coffee over 100F (38C)
>you agree that coffee should generally be served above that temperature
>HURR DURR MCDONALDS SHILL

Get the fuck off of Jow Forums you fucking idiot.

>Admittedly have a backdoor in an over glorified tpm
>Phone fags can't be assed to actually type real secure passwords
>Use shitty nonfree hardware to try and make low complexity passwords secure and also store literal hardware secrets.
>Still gets btfo'd, either bypassing failed attempts lock out or literally acid washing and exposing the ic and reading it directly.

K bud. Apple was in the wrong, especially since they literally admitted to known flaws that they themselves introduced or probably had his key on ice in backup.

Obvious hit piece, corporate shill begone.

Now that's a name I've not heard in quite some time.

I knew years, YEARS back when first humble bundle became a thing that EFF is a fucking jew-infested shitscam.

Idiot. Apple will give away all your cloud data without requiring a subpoena. They also install NSA backdoors without telling anybody (Prism). Lastly, their security is shit which is why locked iPhone are getting cracked easily with GrayKey.

>Idiot. Apple will give away all your cloud data without requiring a subpoena.
apple.com/legal/privacy/law-enforcement-guidelines-us.pdf
only under the ECPA

>They also install NSA backdoors without telling anybody (Prism).

>They also install NSA backdoors without telling anybody (Prism).
prism is shitty and bit the entire agency. the leaks revealing things like prism caused apple to take a harder stance on privacy and refusing government requests, e.g. mandatory encryption under ios 8

>Lastly, their security is shit which is why locked iPhone are getting cracked easily with GrayKey.
graykey and cellebrite are skilled firms working on firmware limited hacks from the frontend, that's always going to be cat and mouse. cellebrite and graykey finding exploits is totally different from apple being compelled to make backdoor firmware.

here
google's default privacy is way shitter btw, search history and such are backed up in the cloud. at least google lets you disable search/map history while retaining sync and have a passphrase separate from the account passphrase that allows you to use sync while keeping the data (passwords, web history, etc.) unreadable to google in the cloud.

>corporate shill begone
but they are the corporate shill.

CaliGDPR is shit though. I read the bill, besides not actually really protecting Californians, it only fines the corporation a maximum of $7500. Which is pocket change to these multi-national corporations who funnel money through several banks just to avoid taxes.

EU GDPR gives fines of 20mil euros or 4% of the companies annual GLOBAL turnover.

>it only fines the corporation a maximum of $7500
lol.. what a joke.

the amount is so low that if you bring the lawsuit, you won't even make back attorney fines.

>What is EPIC?
The actual privacy lobby:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Privacy_Information_Center

EFF is just a corporate front masquerading as a privacy lobby.

What is this Jow Forums-tier FUD?

>FUD
which part is FUD? please point out mistakes.

They will be destroyed.

They have lots of money... courtesy of all these huge corporations...

You fucking idiot. GPDR and laws like it only serve to strengthen entrenched monopolies as they can more easily afford compliance.

This guy reeks of FSB propaganda.

I mean sure, google and facebook are evil, but I don't need some shady joo who got shipped to the USA for some reason.. to tell me that.

Contribution Information
Amount $5.00
Date Received May 3, 2016, 6:22 pm

I donated 5 dollars, don't remember the reason but it had to do with a prize for a desktop thread competition or something

You don't need any compliance if you don't collect any private data from a user, Moshe.

>thebaffler
are you retarded or just too lazy to google? literally the original anti-corp magazine

Attached: 1525668688047.jpg (250x217, 10K)

>You fucking idiot. GPDR and laws like it only serve to strengthen entrenched monopolies as they can more easily afford compliance.
kek'd. did you hear that from Google and FB corporate astroturfind shills?

As are you shill.

>shilling privacy and being anti-google and anti-kikebook is bad
kek'd
stay mad, scum.

They will be destroyed.

kek most reliable source ever
bet you use those magnetic bracelets too

Why do you think they supported the Net Neutrality law?

I knew they were trash for ~5 years or so now.
They did fool me for a good 8 years though.

>kek most reliable source ever

it's all public domain, idiot. go find something wrong with it.

My guess is that they supported it because it was good for their biggest donors: Google, Facebook and the like.

So the actual fight is Telco corps vs data hogs ?

According to OP the EFF picked their side.

>So the actual fight is Telco corps vs data hogs ?
yes.
>According to OP the EFF picked their side.
you have to remember that telcos are now huge media companies that own TV networks, movie studios and lots of IP. EFF will support Silicon Valley big business first and foremost.

Doesn't sound good for end-users. What about huge content providers like Netflix, are they in-between or ?

Also just checking
>> 66666666

>the EFF, an organization that has lobbied against Google, Amazon and Facebook; an organization that has created several browser addons that actively block social media widgets and trackers, an organization that lobbies for Do Not Track, the GDPR and against censorship and copyright holders choking the Internet; an organization that has publicly denounced Facebook, Google's and Amazon's anti-consumer practices and anti-privacy practices
>the EFF is secretly a cover organization created by Google, Amazon and Facebook to overthrow governemnt regulations because it was founded by rich people and therefore it's evil
Wew lad.

not to mention, you can easily disable graykey but pushing an apple configurator profile that disables self-signed enterprise apps

>can't read
wew lad

Let's see, I already hated GNU/FSF and GNOME so now I can add EFF do the list.

What's left, Linux foundation?

Attached: ce3wXGj_d.jpg (640x1138, 30K)

I read it and it makes no sense. The author assumes the founders are evil and represent corporate interests because they're rich and therefore everything the EFF has ever done, somehow, pushes corporate interests forwards.

The writer assumed the conclussion and then misconstrued all their actions to fit that assumption.

Attached: 1518549119409-a.jpg (625x552, 52K)

Read half of it and Jesus Christ is that article shit
>it's about the EFF
>suddenly fuck le drumpf and brexit was Russian hackers
I don't like the EFF either but what the fuck

you're shit.

>What's left, Linux foundation?
Pretty much. They don't pander to anyone but users.