Let's talk about MoCA / Multimedia over Coaxial

Let's talk about MoCA / Multimedia over Coaxial.

Is anybody running MoCA 2.0?

My rig is upstairs, router is downstairs. WiFi is that great for gaming. Right now I'm using a $99 Ethernet over Powerline adapter. I'm honestly pretty happy with it so far. House was built in 2000, wiring and circuitry are decent.

I have a 300 down, 10 up line. With EoP I'm getting roughly have that, about 150 down, still about 7-10 up.

Latency hasn't been too much of an issue, I get about 60 ping where I would normally get 50-55 ping.

However, I'm always looking for the best connection I can get without drilling through the ceiling and such which has lead me to MoCA 2.0:

"Offers actual data rates up to 1 Gbps net throughputs

Performance modes of 400 and 800 (bonded) Mbps net throughputs also available.

Greater than 90% outlet coverage.

One in one hundred million packet error rate (PER) with 3.6ms latency.

Sleep and standby low power modes.

500 – 1650MHz operating frequency."

It seems to fully implement this properly it would set me back $150-160:

- Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02) $156.52

- Filter, MoCA "POE" Filter for Cable TV Coaxial Networking ONLY $5.90

- 2-Way MOCA Splitter 5-1675Mhz $5.96

Thoughts

Attached: 41v9f4CmCxL.jpg (500x500, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg468mq.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bumping for interest.

For the price, just get CAT6e and RJ46 connectors or CAT5e and PVC pipes.

>I have a 300 down, 10 up line. With EoP I'm getting roughly have that, about 150 down, still about 7-10 up.

It doesn't matter if you get bottlenecked by your ISP, for local connections you always want 1Gbps Ethernet.

I have seen bonded MoCA 2.0 hit 850mbps+ with 1gbps fiber internet.

It adds 2-5ms of ping.

lmao nigga cat6 is like 40 cents a meter

You could go a better route and have somebody run cat5e or cat6 through your walls and have 2 drop points (one by your router and the other upstairs).

Why run new cables if he has coax which can do 1gbps just fine?

Just buy some off-lease MoCA routers like the NVG468MQ. They're like $40 and you get 4x4 802.11ac with it.

I use some WCB3000N for my spare bedrooms and it's fine. I don't know what else you need to know about them other than "it just werks". I don't have gigabit internet tho.

Attached: 41jQbLEe1ZL[1].jpg (500x500, 23K)

or stop being cheap and get ready for 10gb networking and 802.11ax or even ay/az in the next few years

Because it would cost a lot less.

MoCA 2.0 is good. My grandparents run it.

It will not work in every home. If the coax is good grade, if your splitter can do 500-2500mhz, if you install a PoE Filter (less than $10) on your incoming cable line- you can hit a gigabit.

Where you run into trouble is if there's some crazy source of interference (exceedingly rare) or if your builder was an asshole and put sub 2000mhz splitters hidden behind walls to extend lines.

Buy them at a store with a good return policy like Amazon and return if they don't work. Secondary protection of extended return policy on a good credit card will cover ya.

One less single point of failure.

This.

If you have to break the walls, you might as well run the piping and correct wiring in the first place.

MoCA would be half interesting if you were trying to repurpose an existing outlet or something.

Attached: 1301539848889.gif (646x812, 10K)

>10GbE being cheap within our lifetime
not going to happen, screencap this post

MoCA can be a lot less costly and do the job beautifully depending on home construction.

Smaller home, drywall, ethernet runs are a breeze if you're handy.

Larger home, plaster or spray foam, running new wires can be a nightmare without major renovation.

You can currently get fiber shit of lease for few bucks.

Thanks for the helpful answers. I ordered the 3 pack bundle off amazon Splitter + Filter + 2-pack. We'll see how it goes.

why even have ethernet anymore if everything is gonna run moca.. for fuck sake pick 1 thing
either do all coax in house and fiber for long runs or fuck off

rip OP

I do ethernet for most electronics and let my Tivos manage themselves over MoCA for high bandwidth low management traffic.

Depending on your situation MoCA can be dead easy and a great addition to your network. Don't be a dummkopf.

Why so angry?

>everything is gonna run moca
Literally only my rig upstairs is

>for fuck sake pick 1 thing
>or fuck off

Literally calm down.

Everything downstairs is ethernet because I went into the crawlspace and ran CAT6 everywhere under the house. I can't do that upstairs cleanly.

>"only" $160
What a rip off.

Oh it's totally a rip off. But Actiontec virtually the only company that has significantly invested into the MoCA technology, and as such are pretty much the only people offering a well built solution. It is what it is. I think $100 powerline adapters are more of a rip off.

I can justify $160 if it's the best option on the market.

there were alternatives ITT but I guess you didn't read it

who said that?
I said either use ethernet or fucking moca stop doing both things
next it's gonna be like the fucking monitors and have 30 differnet ports for video when display port or miniDP is all that should exist

I did. Only CAT6 was mentioned which isn't going to happen

wrong, maybe next time read the thread

Attached: $_57[1].jpg (1600x1200, 169K)

you convert the coax MoCA back into ethernet on the far end of the run, all your devices except maybe a TiVO or similar is gonna run off ethernet still, that doesn't change

That's retarded logic though. Why would I run one or the other exclusively. It makes absolutely no sense to run MoCA downstairs because I already ran CAT6 under the house and that's how everything is connected down there. There is absolutely no reason to buy another moca adapter for downstairs.

I don't want to drill through the ceiling for the upstairs so my logical option there is moca. I really don't understand your thinking unless this is some kind of bait

it's called a bridge user, and it's a fuckton lot better than powerline networking

stop cucking and spoon feed him

arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg468mq.pdf
off lease for $20-40 each, I already said this user

probably a brainlet that couldn't set up two routers anyway

I actually use these right now, the performance is great.

AMA I guess. I have 4 of these in my place. get no packet loss, and 1Gbit both directions.

Attached: d7768766-d693-47cc-8b61-fd14d9f1a1c0.jpg (1152x1536, 162K)

Good for gaming (latency/ping)?

Did you try Powerline adapters before this? If so, how did they compare?

Did you get the splitter and filter?

Describe your setup in relation to the router, modem, and coaxial cable to modem.

It's cheaper to run cat6 if you do it yourself.

>Good for gaming (latency/ping)?

No notable latency.

> Did you try Powerline adapters before this? If so, how did they compare?

I didn't, as the aim was to get better than the ethernet in the walls.

> Did you get the splitter and filter?

They're running point to point with no other connection.

> Describe your setup in relation to the router, modem, and coaxial cable to modem.

Fibre Box => APU2 gateway + AP => Moco -> Moco => APU2 + AP

Aim was to have good backhaul to the second gateway, the first been four floors down from the other, and having a 5Ghz AP on it which has pretty low range. Gets solid 1GBit down through the entire system down to the second APU2.

also bumping