I just got gigabit internet but when doing speedtests I only get around 330mbps on a 5g wireless signal. the laptop has

I just got gigabit internet but when doing speedtests I only get around 330mbps on a 5g wireless signal. the laptop has
802.11ac Wi-Fi networking;4 IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible

according to some googling ac wireless cards should support speeds over 1gbit so why am i stuck at 300 mbps?

Attached: 7455178244.png (350x200, 21K)

bump

how far are you from the router? 5g has shorter range than 2.4ghz

3 feet

The simple answer is that wireless transmission of data sucks

on 2.4ghz i never break 100mbps

might as well just use lan.

then use ethernet you fucking nerd

It depends on your router. If your router does 866mbps AC then that’s only 433 up and 433 down which is close to what you have. I think the new wave 3 AC routers or whatever will have true gigabit wireless

Attached: C778569D-729A-4DCA-9733-83C4AE082C22.jpg (4608x3456, 1.12M)

To prove it, if it true Gb, then trying to download a file, then compared it.

What's the router model?

>according to some googling ac wireless cards should support speeds over 1gbit so why am i stuck at 300 mbps?
There's more than one type of 802.11ac, you have a shitty card, a shitty router or both.

>laptops in 2018 having an ethernet slot

lol

Not wave 3, 802.11 ax will have gigabit wireless

Any other devices using the wifi? Or even passively connected? Devices only capable of older wifi protocols will make every other device use that protocol. Or at least wait for their god awful transfer rate.

I've noticed Nintendo DS causing this problem frequently.

do you have shitty laptop?

the verizon fios router/modem combo they give to all customers. saysg1100

Your basic bitch 802.11ac setup isn't going to be even close to gigabit speeds, the ever ubiquitous Intel 8265 has 867 Mbps on paper and maybe half that in the real world, cheaper 1x1 cards are nowhere near as fast as even that. That's half-duplex as well, so uploading and downloading are going to be competing for that one link. You're essentially cockblocked by your wireless, grab a length of Cat6 if you want to use all those megabits.

Invest in better router.

>Devices only capable of older wifi protocols will make every other device use that protocol.
OP is using 5ghz

>wireless
No shit retard

To get over 1gbps you need an expensive router, the most i've seen from the FiOS router is ~600mbps and that was right up against the router.

Realistically to see 1gbps speeds you need to be using a 4x4 wifi card and the only common laptops with those are macbooks.

I've seen a macbook when paired up with a Ubiquiti 4x4 access point hit 945/945mbps over wifi from about 10 feet.

But that is basically the BEST case scenario using two very expensive products, the access point was $300+, the laptop as $2500+

In most cases you simply wont see anything over 300-500mbps over wifi.

Attached: 2018-06-30 18_22_53.jpg (1149x403, 55K)

>wifi sucks
You're even worse than OP

>Wifi is cucked by speed limits

actually he's right it does suck

>buys garbage hardware
>then says that all hardware sucks
High end ac wifi could do what OP wants.

I have an early 2014 macbook air what wifi card does that have?

2x2

so these speeds are normal then? I also get the same speeds on my iphone 7

it's 802.11AC 2x2.

So max you'll see is probably 400-500mbps, and generally you'll see less than that, probably 200-300.

Wifi is shit and you never get the advertised, don't like it get one of these, your laptop has USB doesn't it? Don't like it, then deal with your current speed.

Attached: 71NMeVTevGL._SL1248_.jpg (1248x947, 107K)

iphone 7 is also 802.11AC 2x2.

You don't need more for facebook anyway.

cute

Gigabit does not equil giga byte.

There are 8 bits in a byte

>wireless
i see that you don't want speed and good latency

gigabit is ~940mbps

or ~118MB/s

He is seeing ~300mbps, that's obviously got nothing to do with bits vs bytes.

Maybe your router is shit
also nice quads

Those aren't quads, newfriend.

your router is shit, probably

wifi is a two way street, could just as easily be the client device that is shit, not the router.