You hear about that systemd? What a load of crap. I'm sticking to good ole' Gentoo with my init scripts

>You hear about that systemd? What a load of crap. I'm sticking to good ole' Gentoo with my init scripts.

Attached: 1527981950878.png (1868x1140, 644K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Commits-2017
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sounds good to me

>tfw boomers were right all along

OpenRC isn't an init script

Awesome. Rock on.

Attached: 1530384285200.png (247x250, 59K)

>inb4 "im new to loonix, what's wrong with systemd?
There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

to expand upon the DNS issue, pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

millennials will never know the joys of editing a single line in an init file and having something work the first time

and for the cherry on top, the infamous motherboard bricking

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

based boomers

>Finally ready to install slackware on this new beast, now where did i leave the dvd pile...

Attached: 1529951686785.png (633x640, 280K)

Stop with this meme, it's already dead.

Attached: 30 Year-old Boomer.png (682x423, 21K)

Systemd is afraid of me...I have seen its true face. The Red Hat offices are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the devops engineers will drown. The accumulated filth of all their scope creep and faux-modularization will foam up about their waists and all the RHCEs will look up and shout "journalctl --verify"... and I'll look down and whisper "File corruption detected at /var/log/journal/7f05594d144642409bdc68efc5295853/user-6106.journal:000000"

Attached: QdryIwM.png (444x325, 171K)

You're the kind of person that would post a boomer picture to mock people that don't want a dystopian dictatorship.
You prefer to get shot by a firing squad than listening to people you consider old.

The searchenginejew is just trying to fool you

how many people actually use resolvd?
I mean, why use it when dnsmasq exist?

then again, networkd is pretty dope.
what I don't get is why people still use netctl even when they have systemd installed.

networkd + dnsmasq is the way to go

Attached: 1510625195800.jpg (500x718, 52K)

>dnsmasq
>not bind

also the predictable and permanent enpXs0 names is a meme.Try adding another network card in your comp.

SYSTEMD is shit, that's all.
potring kys now

Dude, those exist even on non-systemd installs.
I have it in GuixSD, and I seem to recall Void having it too, but I could be wrong.

Although I definitely agree on the new names being shit. What is an "enpXsY? And on top of that they're longer than necessary. MacOS has them as en0, en1, and so on. It's a little retarded because the wifi connection is an "en" interface, but it's short and sweet, and doesn't add unnecessary length.
I think the interfaces in loonix used to be ethX, wlanX, and such. What was wrong with that?

>memory leak
Works on my machine.

>Large attack surface
You might as well give up Linux and stop using a browser.

>scope creep
Systemd is a collection of tools, most of which are optional.

>default DNS
Systemd lets you change the defaults if you don't like them.

>conspiracy
If you don't like it, fork it.

The manufacturer didn't follow the UEFI spec.

>Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram...
Werks on my machine :^)
>Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
So? The Linux kernel has 25 million lines of code[1]. If you care about "lines of code" as an attack surface, you shouldn't be using Linux at all, you should use OpenBSD or a microkernel.
Either way, it's not like sloc really matters for if there is a vulnerability or not. There are plenty of people auditing both the Linux kernel and Systemd.
>Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep...
>There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.
You could just opt not to use Systemd's DNS support, or change the default setting.
Also, Systemd is FOSS so you can feel free to fork it yourself and put better defaults :^)
>Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
This same logic applies to the Linux kernel also, see what I previously typed.
The Linux Kernel added 2.5 million lines of code in 2017[1]. That's more code than the entire Systemd project combined.
>inb4 hurr there are more eyes on the kernel development
WRONG. There are _literally_ binary blobs in the kernel that nobody can audit without signing an NDA. Systemd is fully FOSS so you can see it all yourself.
Not to mention projects the NSA literally put into the Kernel like SELinux.
[1] phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Commits-2017

Is this an argument against Systemd or the Linux kernel? I can't really tell.

>Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep...
Sweetie there is "scope creep" because systemd does the tasks in that gif way better than the competitor :^)

good list of common sense reasons that provoke angry responses makes me believe common sense reasons even more.

The NSA apologists have arrived
Fuck you, potring internet defence force

Why would you create that image, when systemd resolved isn't even enabled on almost all systems, and the default DNS isn't even used because it's overridden by the distribution? If you have to devote so much time to something that is disabled and unused and overridden most of the time as one of your primary arguments, you clearly don't have very good arguments.

resolvd is designed for containers. It makes managing DNS and networking for containers sane. The same goes for a lot of the things that systemd includes. The idea is that you can sandbox services like apache inside containers almost transparently. You would add a single line like UseContainer=yes to the service config file and everything Just Works.

systemd haters think that this is bloat and they would rather spend months hacking on shell scripts to make this work instead, because they know shell but don't know C (so they can't read systemd's source code).

This shitty 30 year old boomer meme is forced as fuck