Why is there so much fucking math in the CS program? How did you guys get through it? Don't get me wrong...

Why is there so much fucking math in the CS program? How did you guys get through it? Don't get me wrong, eventually I start to get it but it still annoys me to no end. I'd rather spend the time and energy actually getting better at programming not doing fucking math shit. Or am I wrong and all this math will actually make me better?

Attached: 1521441562407.jpg (1252x1252, 118K)

pls reply

Math is the tool you need to properly translate your ideas into usable software. Programming is easy.

Should have gone into IT if you hate CS math.

I study information systems which has all computer science lectures but only one math lecture in a semester.

If you can't handle calculus, discrete math, and maybe a little linear algebra then please stay away from my office, thanks.

McDonald's isn't an office faggot

Calculus and basic physics are essential for traducing any problem into formulas and then a solution
For programming? its a waste of time and a meme, unless you go for very specific fields, I wish to be wrong because math is fun but it doesnt really apply into programming

From what I've seen there's a lot less advanced CS courses in that degree

What fields?

making games

As a rule of thumb, if it heavily depends on a GPU then it requires math

You don't practice math, so you'll suck at it. Change your major to art or lesbian dance theory.

how can one complain about MCQ's ?

The thing I don't like about math is that I forget it all because I don't use it. I was watching a youtube video about a coding interview where the kid had to take a derivative of a polynomial and I couldn't even remember how to do it.

I'm graduated from EE, I lost interested in math, and do not developed to interested in it, due to the lecturer not making me interested in math.

I'm not brogrammer, I've work, as freelancer IT Technician, Network-Engineer, and Infosec, that's job is less touching with code though a few side of infosec require programming language, even some require heavy understand on spesific programming language.

By not being a brainlet

>math is fun but it doesnt really apply into programming
Is this a joke?

I don't get the foreign terms for the computer related majors, in Germany everything seems to be called Informatik.
Can someone explain what IT and CS is?

Attached: 123asdefsadf.png (730x268, 33K)

Well Mr.Dumbfrog, instead of crying rivers, get the math your professor give you and go fuck around with it.
Create some fun shader shit with the math.

Du hättest eine Ausbildung zum Fachinformatiker machen sollen oder auf eine Fachhochschule gehen, anstatt auf eine Universität. FHs haben oft auch Software Engineering oder Praktische Informatik Studiengänge für Leute die nur Programmieren und keine wissenschaftliche Ausbildung wollen.

auschwitz auschwitz flammenwerfer arbeit arbeit auschwitz flammenwerfer

I'm not OP, just curious.

Gibt halt en Haufen Studiengänge die ähnlich klingen Informationstechnik, Informatik und technische Informatik zb., da blick ich nich mehr durch.

Vorher Studienberatung fragen, Unis habe oft einen Tag der offenen Tür odet sind an Jobmessen wo man die fragen kann. Die Namen bedeuten leider wirklich an jeder Uni was anderes, außer bei den großen Themen. Informationstechnik ist meistens Richtung Etechnik, die Amis meinen mit IT das was bei uns in Ausbildung zum Fachinformatiker gemacht wird, nur mit mehr Programmierausbildung statt Betrieb.

Math isn't hard for a genius!

Attached: care.jpg (125x125, 10K)

I'm glad I didn't post otherwise we would have had this.

KoG BTFO

nice try

I got through all that math shit by cheating and I got top marks.

Literally nothing from those classes is useful to me now and I earn a shitload as a programmer.

The losers who preach the importance of math in CS just feel the need to justify their wasted time and energy.

No.
Understanding and nailing basic concepts is essential for programming but you probably won't use more advanced algebra for any of your programs.
I know I haven't and I've been working as a developer for over five years at this point.

This "advanced" algebra is there to teach you abstract thinking, not as part of your job training.

Kek. I bet you're one of those "programmers" who will have 5 years experience and can't code fizzbuzz.

This guy gets it.

you just need to know lamda algebra. or something like that. but if you dont, just get used to syntax of different languages and a month of straight up working with them will be like second nature. if you have a problem somewhere its just trial and error.

i got a cert in systems analysis from ucla extention and it taught me more than my shit years in a university. actual hands on without all that prereqs. i dont need prereqs, i actively learn through youtube about history, documentaries and other shit to be well rounded. plus im not exactly white so i dont have to be taught anything about diversity because i didnt grow up in the suburbs where its the epitome of white flight.

i dont actually program all my shit, i just decompile other peoples projects and change asset files and fuck around with code and then recompile and see if it works. then i just publish my app for like a dollar and make some pocket change everynow and then. ive become familiar with that decompiled code called smali or some shit. whatever. im a programmer now since i make some money. not much but hey fuck you. its a step in the right direction for my 30 year old ass that never gets taken seriously or never gets any validation on anything.

Let's say you want to make a program that takes a video file and does slow motion on it. So you search the web and learn, that the problem is called optical flow estimation. You search for papers that describe algorithms to solve this over 30 years old problem and discover, that you don't understand _shit_ in these publications. It's all math. Why is it all math? Because simple solutions that did not require math were already checked and didn't work out. To proceed, people had to used more advanced theoretical tools, so you can see various techniques from linear algebra and calculus. Computer Science is strongly about algorithms research, which requires mathematics as a tool to proceed.

CS is a subset of mathematics.

No, because in CS there are also elements not found in the Math set.

kek

So why study calculus and physics then?
CS should only force algebra on you

Different kinds of abstract thinking, that's also the idea behind pushing general education classes on students: So they are exposed to many possible ways of thinking.

>calculus 2 semesters
>statistics
>discrete math with proofs
>graphs separate as an extension of discrete math
>algorithms and complexity in general, more focus on implementation
does CS bc need more math?

kek and check

Been programing for over 10 years. Never needed anything more than gradeschool math.

Nice meme though.

tfw took calculus 3, discrete math, statistics based in calculus, and physics based in calculus for my CS degree.

math was literally the easiest shit, probably easier than the humanities because it ain't subjective.

what part of "programming is easy" didn't you get

there's more to software than "programming"

e.g. customer comes to you and says "I own a trucking company, and I want an app like google maps for my fleet so that I can move the maximum amount of product with the minimum amount of man-hours."

how would you even start?

I wish there was more math as I am actually a decent mathmatician and a shitty programmer

do a math major, you'll earn more.

Math >>>>>> dog shit > humanities
Math will generally have one answer with few or one approach, which means the answer you get will be generally what your professor wants. Humanities relies on your professors personal opinion of the world, which is generally some liberal nonsense. So whatever papers you write and the behavior you display in class will already determine your grade, plus how ever your professor feels about you in a subjective matter. I wish technical degrees did not have humanities bullshit included.

You're school just sucks

Math in CS is a fucking joke.

>actually getting better at programming
>not doing fucking math
You're not gonna make it

Web dev is not programming, you fag

Dumb shit, kids already know what they want by 14 or 15, which is sex, but since most cant get it, they start to define the interests that will lead their lifes
"Ways of thinking" my ass

Backend is
Frontend javascript is

But you don't even have a job so nobody should be taking you seriously.

No one takes you seriously

Getting through the math wasn't easy. I had to retake matrix algebra twice and integral calculus once.

The worst of it: I spent 16 years in IT, and never used any of the math I spent so much time (and college tuition) learning. I've forgotten it all now.

The year after I graduated, my school created a new program that replaced a lot of the math with accounting. I might have done better with that option.

The thing people don't get about programming is that learning a programming language is the easy part. It's incredibly easy, so easy in fact that it's accessible to retarded wannabee hipsters who just discovered W3Schools.

Designing correct and efficient algorithms? That's the hard part. That's the part that requires actual brains and mathematical thinking abilities. That's the part you will have to devote most of your time to if you want to get good.

Most people are not willing to learn the hard, mathematical, seemingly unnecessary part of programming. They learn enough to implement a basic 2D game in Java and stop there, and then they wonder why their programs suck balls.

You need that math for the actual computer science side of things, especially if you do anything related to machine learning.

>Jow Forums is full of brainlets
Honestly not impressed.

Vector GIS analysis and miles-ranking algo.

for each road going towards destination:
if road_allows_big_rig:
push road to map
set map[road][length] = road.length
set map[road][delta_towards] =
squareRoot((destination.X - road.X)^2 + (destination.Y - road.Y)^2)

for each road in map:
for each other_road going towards destination,
where (other_road.coordinates / ((pi*(road.length/2))^2 * scale) as circle):
if road.coordinates in circle:
if other_road.delta_towards < road.delta_towards:
map[road][roads_in_front] += other_road;
else if other_road.delta_towards > road.delta_towards:
map[road][roads_behind] += other_road;
if destination in circle:
map[other_road][leads_to_destination] = true;

for each road in map where roads_behind == null, road_counter, route_counter:
start:
if (road.leads_to_destination):
set routes[route_counter][path] += destination;
set routes[route_counter][distance] =
{
distance = 0;
for each road in routes[route_counter]:
distance += routes[route_counter][road].length
return distance;
}
route_counter++;
road_counter = 0;
continue;
else if road_counter == 0:
set routes[route_counter][path] = road;
else:
shortest_road;
for front_road of road[roads_in_front]:
if road[roads_in_front][front_road].index == 0:
shortest_road = front_road;
else:
if shortest_road > roads_in_front:
shortest_road = front_road;
routes[route_counter][path] += shortest_road;
road = shortest_road;
road_counter++;
goto start;

Now compare the distances of each route. Out of space.

that takes too much time, kid

No it doesn't. I wrote something similar for a contract. It's insanely parrallizeable, unrollable, and computationally simple. Running this on a low-end 6th gen CPU you can get ~30,000,000 routes on American highways, in an hour.

But no one needs 30mil routes. You need a couple hundred, once every month for a medium-sized mom-and-pop shop. You can throw that extra compute time into optimizing for traffic, road conditions, tolls, rest stops, etc.

Swapped to IS, it's great being the only person who can write actual programs.