/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync; 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: 1460990098061.gif (951x534, 708K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/2TFrcY
pcpartpicker.com/list/b93kw6
ebay.com/p/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-3-7GHz-Eight-Core-YD1700BBAEBOX-Processor/235133854?iid=223043650071&chn=ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anime is cool but niggers aren't.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2TFrcY

purpose: watching youtube videos until a good game comes out

what did I fuck up

Attached: 1287115971398.jpg (640x480, 83K)

If this isn't all you need to move your PC around and use it your PC is too big

Attached: 2018-07-08 12:36:44.283.jpg (4160x3120, 2.18M)

I think CPU heatsinks look boring. I wish they used similar heatsinks as in mobos and maybe cover them in some sort of shrouds and add leds.

Attached: 2018041110304462_m.gif (460x460, 505K)

>Intel

Attached: IMG_20180708_220048.jpg (3453x2075, 2.23M)

Heads up € anons!

Asus is currently having a cashback promotion on some motherboards along with some Intel SSD:s. Claim time opens on the 11th of July.

The promotion should be open for Belgium, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Germany, Austria, Italy and Greece.

Attached: 1497223265731.gif (500x281, 531K)

How do I tell if a vega 56 has samsung memory? Will it say on the card somewhere? Or is it just inference from how well it clocks?

loop loop.

Those mouse buttons are so far apart. Looks uncomfortable.

Why would you want an Intel SSD, though? Except for 900p/905p with StoreMi.

You can't tell unless you open the box and inspect it in something like GPU-Z which will tell you. Some of the same models can have either, like the nano PCB ones.
Even some Vega64 models sometimes have Hynix.

there's a trick, just go to the computer store, order the vega, when they ask for your name just say sam and while they go check in the back of the store under all the nvidia boxes sing as loud as you can, the waiter will go WTF and tell the manager I'm looking for a vega and sam sung, BINGO, manager will make sure you get a samsung. Did this 17 times and it works

I've got my pc up and running but when I touch the outside of the case I'm feeling an electric current running through it

That can't be good right?

Intel 760p have pcie speeds and 3d nand memory, and comes with 5 y/w.

With the cashback it gets cheaper than samsung 860 series, so why wouldn't you?

>paper stats
Test shows that they're barely better than a fast SSD, but at cheaper than a fast SSD as well then that's actually good.

Nope, that does not seem good.

my pointer finger usually ends up resting on the side of the switch, I've never really noticed though.

Bought this for the removable cable and socket-installed omron switches since all my old mice died from the switches wearing out.

Why would you lug around that fuckhueg power brick. Why not just get a small case with sfx support so you can have a little more compatibility and better cooling?

Does StoreMI benefit from pairing an HDD with an NVMe SSD, as opposed to a SATA one? I can't find any direct comparisons.

Why don't you just mount everything but the keyboard on the computer itself and then put a handle on that? Seems like it would be less annoying than having to deal with all those separate components.

I used to think external bricks were dumb too, until I started to look at them as relocatable volume.
Aside from how long the cable is, it makes the computer easier to pack away.

total volume including the brick is only 4.3L.
(also the brick has a max output of 400W)

It's really not a lot of components.
Tower
Power brick
Mouse
Keyboard
Monitor
Thats only one more component than someone bringing literally any desktop anywhere has to carry, but mine is significantly smaller.

Can this LED phase please go away already

Were going to look back on this shit in 10 years and cringe

Anyone know of some good deals for a 1070ti or 1080?

>It's really not a lot of components
Sure, but if it is meant to be easy to transport then you could make it even easier to transport by condensing it down into a single unit.

so i have a decent desktop that the hdd failed since they were carried over almost a decade ago.
i have a working laptop with a terabyte of storage and windows 10 installed.
can i download the drivers of my desktop motherboard, its gpu, and perifrials to my laptops hdd and just slap the laptops hdd on the desktop and completely skip the windows installation?

Attached: b490a98ebe43c061b4c72f105342bd94--sasha-gray-bad-girls.jpg (720x720, 60K)

ofc? You can do wahtever, the only limit is the size of the fast drive and that you use only two drives.

You can do optane + SSD
nvme+ssd
nvme+hdd
ssd+hdd
whatever.

What happened to her face?

Yes, but is there actually a noticeable improvement from using NVMe considering all the stuff being moved from one side to the other or will it be bottlenecked by the hard drive speed anyway?

Beautiful gif

>considering all the stuff being moved from one side to the other
It's tiered storage, not cache.

which one Jow Forums msi one or asus? pairing it with a 2200g and if none wat should i pick instea? 10 dollars more or so will be fine

Attached: which one ?.jpg (1080x960, 197K)

VRM looks pretty much of the muchness? I'd probably choose the Asus on the count of their bios

Find a better VRM

Is this a good deal?

Attached: OfferUp.png (879x826, 810K)

How about this?

Attached: OfferUp 2.png (879x642, 657K)

On an mATX?

Don't spam bait. It's off topic for /pcbg/

Can you wait for b450 boards? Probably worth it. Might get a decent 4+3 or 5+3 board.

>In excellent condition, used for less than a year
xD
They pay you $250 to take it right?
>custom blazing fast laptop

Absolute poop
get this: pcpartpicker.com/list/b93kw6
get an used ssd and case off ebay

Asking again
How much would you pay for a 980ti? The questioned model would be an armor.
I see some on eBay for like 400€ or so, but I offered 230€ but he offered back 310€, maybe I can get it to 270 or so

im a sped beginner what are VRM? also when do u think theyll be coming out? i would like to get my first build done this month.

I'd get the one with 4 ram slots.

I recently paid $280 for a used GTX 1070. No way I'd pay over $300 for a used 980 Ti. But I'm guessing computer parts are more expensive in Europe.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I tried installing AMD Overdrive and it literally broke my Windows installation, even though I didn't actually do ANYTHING in Overdrive, I literally just installed it and rebooted (I just wanted to use the temperature margins). I couldn't even remove it from safe mode because of how it was fucked beyond repair. Thank FUCK Wangblows has a system restore feature.

This is the last fucking time I ever install a piece of software created by a hardware manufacturer. Jesus fucking Christ.

Attached: 1452214887668.png (483x442, 135K)

Are they that low? I should have sold some of mine when they were still going for near MSRP used.

Do you even have a CPU that is supported by AMD Overdrive? Like an old Kavari one?
Still shouldn't have nuked your Windows, though.

What do I look for in a good power board?

Attached: 964746C9-F484-4BFF-AFA9-31A821433133.jpg (384x384, 5K)

What would you do with $2000 for the best liquid cooling setup with occasional gaming? focuses: emulation performance, fast boot/load times, decent overclocking with quiet fans

Possibly willing to scale this down to $1600 or so for minimal performance loss, but dont just suggest random shit without a reason

Attached: pc build.jpg (841x1210, 226K)

you're spending about $1400 more than you need to if you're just going ot be doing "occasional gaming"

>gaming
So the 970 is useless, then.

>liquid cooling set up
Idk look for cases that specially support thick 280mm radiators.
Obviously a custom loop is best. Most AIO are shit and loud as fuck. You'd also want something with sound deadening.

but I want a fast computer to last me for 4 years. Or maybe I could downscale and replace in 3

what 970? Actually Im just gonna go with the 1080 at this point. Or hold out for the 1170

You don't need the best PC to emulate games.

I need 60fps at 1440p playing breath of the wild. Same with 30 fps on cemu playing pokemon us/um

Are old graphics card worth?
I can get a r9 380 for $140.
Or a r9 270, hd 7870.
Used to have a hd7750 but it wasn't very good.

Are there any case manufacturers that make cases with case designs similar to Lian Li's PC-O11 Dynamic cases? I really want to build something out of an unconventional case, but want nothing to do with an open frame. Preferably with ATX support, which narrows options considerably it seems.

you can get a 1050 ti for roughly the same price

Not here from what I've seen.
Is it much better or anything?

>pay $2k to emulate Cemu at 60fps
>6 months later a Pentium can do the same after Cemu is optimized better
top kek

Used 980/980ti is pretty decent.
Used RX480 as long as you feel safe buying it incase it's defective.
>I can get a r9 380 for $140.
Not worth it at all. Heck I sold one of my 7970s, which was probably better, for $100.

Nothing as compact as the 011. Closest thing would be your usual cube layout cases like Corsair's Air 540, but they're huge and don't optimise space the same way the Lian Li case does.
There's a reason the PC-011 Dynamic was as highly revered as it was, an that's because there's nothing else like it.

I can get a Vega 56 for a lot cheaper than a 1070 ti.
Should I go for it? I heard Vega needs to be overclocked to be decent.

It'll be going in a Ryzen 7 2700x, 3200mhz ram PC.

You should go for it even if it were move expensive than 1070Ti since Freesync is much cheaper and gives more options.
>I heard Vega needs to be overclocked to be decent.
That's not untrue at all, but it's something that takes less than a day to figure out and a tweak at most. In the end you wind up with something better for cheaper, and imo it's fun.

Why the 8400 isn't in the OP when it is recommended so much?

Attached: 1506478334259.png (500x447, 355K)

because it's objectively garbage compared to the Ryzen competition.
>Muh FPS!
and completely ignoring all 6 threads tapped out.

Attached: 1530048125420.png (1920x1080, 3.24M)

OP was either posted by an AMD shill, or a false flagging Intel shill.
Either is just as likely

I was afraid this was what it boiled down to. I'm having a hard time trying to find one since I'm not in the US.

It was very good compared to the 1600/1600X at the time but not worth it compared to the 2600X now that that's out.

Because shills think you should pay 100+ for 2600x to get 2 more fps. In EU it's over 150+€

what game?

Don't mind him he's posting fake screenshots

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-30-12-55-46-948_com.google.android.youtube.png (1920x1080, 2.2M)

whats the game, you buyer's remorse recovering faggot?

Ausfag here, I know what you mean. The big online retailers here don't seem to be Lian Li stockists. I'm hoping with LL's push into the more mainstream gamer desktop market with better value steel constructed cases will lead to more public demand globally.
I to want to build in an 011 Dynamic pretty badly...

Lian-Li is gone and won't be coming back, they pissed off the distributors here.
They were huge here 15 years ago.

If you want Lian-Li cases, just buy from Newegg or Amazon japan.

Watch dogs or some shit

How are Seagate hdds bad or is it just a meme?

Attached: 5F8FF19D-6AB6-495A-9FB9-BE6717BFEBFB.png (2048x1536, 455K)

So looking around I found
>used gtx980ti for $350
>used gtx1060 for $215
>used gtx1050ti for $125
>used gtx1060 3GB for $150
>used rx460 for $85
>used rx570 for $215
AMD stuff is pretty rare here.

Highest (yearly) failure rate of any brand name HDD, especially the 3 TB models
consider chink SSDs over seagate HDDs

And a 7970 for $75

is it still worth it to get a xeon e3-1245v2 after meltdown and spectre? I've read last week openbsd devs disabled hyperthreading because it makes Intel cpus vulnerable

980ti for $300 would be okay. Talk the person down to that.
RX460 is less than what your current 280 and 1050Ti is about equal to it.
570 for $215 I'm assuming is 4GB and just marked up too high? Talk him down to $170 and that'd be okay. Assuming it's not a shit Gigabyte or MSI Armor model, that is. Even still that seems a bit high to not have warranty, though. Only MSI has transferable warranty afaik.

Those would be the two best options I think if they can be talked down to reasonable prices.

Why when you had those R7 1700s going on sale for like $160? Some boards even support ECC memory. Just better in every way. Higher IPC. Unlocked multiplier is supported officially. Higher perf/watt. Double the cores/threads. I don't get it.

What about Also I'm just listing what I found, I don't play games much, certainly not those latest AAA games, so I'd rather keep it around $100.

wow, you're right! R7 1700 is the way to go. thank you, user

What are some creative things that RGB can be used for?
Technically it's fucking useless but since the LEDs are nice, might as well make use of 'em.

>buying into a dead socket

The problem with the 7970/280/280x is that it uses a minimum of 100 watts when you plug in a second monitor. It's very power inefficient by today's standard.
>Also I'm just listing what I found, I don't play games much, certainly not those latest AAA games, so I'd rather keep it around $100.
RX460 would technically be all you need, but it's considerably behind the 1050Ti or the RX560 for that matter which you didn't list.
1050Ti is probably the best value there.

On sale, mind you, if you're looking for cheap multithreading. I assumed you were going to put 2 e3-1245 v2 in a dual socket board. A 1700 is just a superior version of that.
Though those sales are drying up as stock for the previous gen disappears.
If you can wait, the same will probably happen with the 2700 when the 3000 series launches.
I am seeing one seller with them at $190 at least, which isn't bad. ebay.com/p/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-3-7GHz-Eight-Core-YD1700BBAEBOX-Processor/235133854?iid=223043650071&chn=ps

>What are some creative things that RGB can be used for?
hypnotizing men into sissies

So it's down to 1050ti or 1060 3GB, both about the same price, $150
Or RX560 for $110

Forgot to mention that I don't care much about power consumption, though I'd rather not have to buy a new PSU (current one is 450W)

Someone stop me from buying this thing

replacing my 250gb mx200

Attached: 81ZPmxx9ZdL._SX425_.jpg (425x283, 13K)

RX560 performs like shit on weaker CPUs.

Why?
I do have a pretty old CPU.

Buy the OEM version it's slightly cheaper.

>I do have a pretty old CPU.
Ask AMD.

Attached: $.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

my mistake i was getting a 500gb 970 evo. still skeptical getting a nvme drive

>still skeptical getting a nvme drive
Why? You aren't falling for the spinny disk meme are you?

not him, how are these drives installed?

They go directly into m2 slots on the motherboard, they're pretty much PCIe lanes using a different connector.

I've seen some cute mITX boards that have the slot on the back of the motherboard too.

how are the fixated ?

Screw.

Why is the 1050Ti suddenly $25 more expensive? You said $125 earlier.
I'd really try to get a 4GB card for a reasonable price.

AMD's driver actually has lower CPU overhead than Nvidia's. The problem is that, ironically, it's more single threaded. So it'll do better on something like a newer Pentium than an FX 6300, if I'm remembering correctly.

As opposed to a regular fast SSD that performs perceptively the same for 99.99% of users.

Tiny screw with a spring mechanism on the male end. You can see the half hole on the left side. Watch a video of m.2 installation. Pretty much the same as minipci

I'm just pulling prices from listings as I go.
Some people say even the 3GB version of the 1060 is still considerably better.

Small screws that go into the right key (most common is 2280), male end goes into the soldered m2 port.

Think about it, SATA6 maxes out at like 550MB/s but M2 drives can get 3000MB/s read, the SATA standard wasn't built for solid state and now it's the bottleneck.

M2 drives are crazy fast on a whole new level, you'll only be able to appreciate how fast after buying one. Don't be memed by the poorfags.

is m.2 better than sata ?

tiny little bit that no one will never notice.

well, i have no ssd right now so I may aswell get the slightly better one

Nvme. And it's more expensive so obviously yes.

M.2 is either SATA or NVMe. NVMe drives are at least 5-times faster.