RISC-V: ARM cowers in fear

ARM launches "get the facts" style campaign against RISC-V.
In other words, they're sweating icy cold sweat.
riscv-basics.com/

Attached: 1502329785077.jpg (1920x1200, 1.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5127
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=SiFive-Open-Boot-Code-Coming
lowrisc.org/
arm.com/-/media/global/company/arm-risc-v-infographic.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig.
old.lwn.net/Articles/738225/
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=150148952705168&w=2
github.com/NetBSD/src/tree/trunk/sys/arch/riscv
lists.j-core.org/pipermail/j-core/2017-August/000645.html
lists.j-core.org/pipermail/j-core/2018-January/000781.html
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
youtu.be/G3kGSbWFig4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't believe ARM pulled an Intel style marketing move

>muh glued together

>content of page is a giant image
Nice accessibility there, assholes
Wonder if they made any embarrassing spelling mistakes while they were at it

Attached: arm-risc-v-5-things-to-consider.png (860x1076, 67K)

Can't say about spelling, but they're full of shit.
It's basically a FUD campaign by desperate people.
ARM is most threatened by RISC-V. They already do know they will soon not be seeing any new licenses.

using risc is a risk

No RISK no ISK.

lol as if risc v is in any place to challenge arm low power chips..

ARM complaining about backdoors.

Attached: 65320646.jpg (460x345, 44K)

LOL.
Softbank be sweating bullets.

Everyone said the ARM purchase was overvalued. Guess they were right.

I didn't know ARM was paid to post on Jow Forums

oh shit, arm is literally shaking in fear over future loosing licensing deals

HAHA, YOUR REIGN OF TERROR ENDS NOW, ARM

between this and chinks starting to mint threadrippers, i feel like this industry is finally going to have its asshole "disrupted"

China Begins Production Of x86 Processors Based On AMD's IP

yeah you need to be a shill to know that risc v isa isnt going to challenge anything serious because its not being built for such job in the first place

I didn't know RISC-V could afford even a single shill

And why it's built for?

The mere fact ARM made this campaign shows that RISC-V poses a risk to them

much like a pen, power in in the holder, not the object
i will love to see you arm shills squirt in debt once you are out of licensing deals. you are already on the "begging everyone to stay with you" step, next is offering your discounts and own ass to customers who don't migrate onto greener pastures outside your walled garden
you have a good one now :^)

When you exclude all variables that involve cost, all it's left is logic.

Who would win?
A multi billion company buying domains to shit on competition a la jewntel style
Or
A pdf document written in a basement?

Reminds me of Microsoft's Scroogled campaign

Attached: Scroogled-268x300.png (268x300, 65K)

This

pic related

Attached: download.jpg (640x409, 27K)

LOL can you believe the audacity of these niggers?
>what is spectre

Attached: arm security lol.png (569x208, 13K)

Sounds like RISC-V is some good shit. Looking forward to see them in the stores.

RISC-V's already been challenging low power ARM chips for a while.
You're some 6 or more RISC-V workshops behind, user.

Meh, the only thing RISC-V has going for it is lower license fees for designers/foundries. Doesn't seem to change much for the end user with how chip makers are acting:

> SiFive markets the RISC-V CPU, billed as an “open source CPU”, and many open source enthusiasts got excited about the prospect of a fully-open SoC that could finally eliminate proprietary blobs from the boot chain ...
>
> However, even one of their most ardent open-source advocates pushed back quite hard when I suggested they should share their pre-boot code. By pre-boot code, I’m not talking about the little ROM blob that gets run after reset to set up your peripherals so you can pull your bootloader from SD card or SSD. ... I’m talking about the code that gets run before the architecturally guaranteed “reset vector”.

Still, better than ARM, but for high end, I would look at OpenPOWER

Looks ok on mobile.

Attached: Screenshot_20180709-164621.png (1080x1920, 265K)

ARM basedcucks on suicide watch.

It looks BETTER on mobile, because the content is text instead of a stupid image.
At least they could have made it a background image and kept the text as text. Dumbasses.

src
bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5127

This whole argument from ARM can be blown up with one simple thing in regards to security. Open source. Anyone can look into the schematics and design of this chip while the ARM chips are only looked at by the same people who made the mistakes. I sincerely hope RISC-V fires back with this fact

Not necessarily and not with current chips.
SiFive won't even share the boot code.
see

Oh, didn't do my do-diligence. I hope they do release it, especially for those who like to actually know what the fuck is happening in their CPU

Just get a Talos II (OpenPOWER) if you really care about that sort of thing.

Attached: T2P9D01-no-SAS.png (1182x862, 1017K)

>get dual-socket multi-grand worth MB without CPU instead of SoC board
How old are you and how long until they teach you logic where you study now?

>SoC board

Then you don't care about that sort of thing. Simple as that. Don't get all up in a tizzy.

kek, fpbp
I guess they don't have any competent web devs. Too much in marketing.
This
Kek, ikr. One of the selling points of RISK V is that researchers and others actually can look at the architecture whereas before they couldn't without signing a NDA.

You need a new complaint
I'm now considering a SiFive, even though they're a thousand bucks
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=SiFive-Open-Boot-Code-Coming

Sweet
Don't know how I missed that announcement; thanks.

It was a week ago
I can see how it would be easy to miss
I'm now waiting to see if it actually happens

I now wish for RISC-V to become a proper development platform. Fuck ARM and their dominance.

It wasn't easy to miss, I even read phoronix.
But I managed somehow.

lowrisc.org/

Attached: logo-med.gif (306x209, 7K)

How is the software support?
In particular Linux and Kodi.

Linux with X and webbrowser was demonstrated recently.
Porting efforts at Debian and Fedora are doing quite well.

Nice to hear, thank you.

Don't forget they're coming out with an expansion board. PCIe, M.2, and SATA support

Attached: PCIE.png (600x625, 322K)

I personally don't care much about sifive's closed implementation. I'd rather experiment with an emulator at this point.
The open efforts such as rocket, boom, pulpino, lowrisc are far more interesting.

Hacker News commenters thought this was a fake at first, but seems like it's genuine.
arm.com/-/media/global/company/arm-risc-v-infographic.png

Attached: Microsoft_Linux_ad.jpg (1600x1200, 126K)

$99 Linux board when?

Probably a year or two

Remember ARM is a multibillonary company.

Soon to be less than that unless they adopt risc v.

>Doesn't seem to change much for the end user with how chip makers are acting
The open ISA will still protect the user against monopolization, but it will be easier to enter the market.

s/but/because/

RISC-V is to modern ARM what 2005-2009 ARM was to then-modern x86.

x86 stayed a bloated clusterfuck of legacy ISA, ARM was still a small ISA focused on efficiency.
Today ARM has become/is becoming a bloated clusterfuck while RISC-V is a fresh and more efficient design paradigm. Top end ARM cores are comparable in relative size/power use/instruction throughput as x86 now. They've become what they were against, and what they defeated.

Sure, China licensed the ZenV1 core and related IP. They're also limited to selling within China and using whatever fab tech is within their borders (28nm currently). So not only do they have to backport an inherently low clocking 14nmFF design to planar 28nm, they're using a x86 design finalized for HVM in ~Q3 2015.

China making their own Zen-Lite CPUs, using 40% more power at likely 10-15% lower Ghz, is a threat to noone.

Does J-Core (open source SuperH) have a future?

Attached: CfkoN9cUEAAw4Bh.jpg (1200x741, 143K)

Should RISC-V get popular, I can see them working on (closed) high-end RISC-V cores. They ain't going bankrupt just to stick with their ISA.

Hmmmmmm true. I could see them making some parts open so that people feel safe after spector and meltdown but keeping some parts closed.

Money can't win this.

Anyone?

wew lad, RISC-V it's barely usable as a high end microcontroller, the fuck are they doing so soon
Anyways, they could easily lead the RISC-V market with their designs and licensing schemes
Instead they go full kike

even if RISC-V would only work as a microcontroller it would still be a threat to that market which ARM is one of the dominant ISAs

> Open Super H
That sounds fun desu. Hopefully that also helps the Casio calculator hacking scene grow.

And Saturn and Dreamcast hacking. Maybe we'll see a day when it becomes possible for enthusiasts to build a free FPGA version of these consoles a-la en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig.

HMC doesn't license, it owns the IP, it's a chinese company that AMD has 51% stake in, it then licenses the IP to a chinese company that AMD has a 30% stake in.

Amazing. I wonder if they delivered with the board. Their site seems inactive since 2016.

I work at Arm and this was the talking point of the day. Pretty much everyone though it was a terrible campaign and thought that the person who approved it should be fired.

beside 1st point others are just retarded

Can you provide any insight on this?
old.lwn.net/Articles/738225/
>It was said that everybody within ARM is in favor of solving the problem by open-sourcing ARM's driver — except for one recalcitrant high-level manager.
is there any update on this? do you know who this guy is? Anything?

The first point is pretty bad too. They're saying "yeah it's true that RISC-V has no license fee, but there's more to the costs than just that". But that doesn't help their case at all. Which would you prefer? Paying both the licensing fee and the costs of implementation, or just the latter?

Fucking ARM, how can they consider that "Reduced"? Low cost and backward compatibility are all that matter. RISC-V will eventually win on cost and VAX will win on backwardness.

>VAX will win on backwardness
Is there any indication that VAX will be coming back in some form? That might be kinda interesting

no, i was trying to stupidly defend x64 by mentioning an even more complicated architecture

why am i not surprised catholics have no idea how to meme

>Christians are to be taught that he who gives to the poor or lends to the needy does a better work than buying pardons;
no he was a shitposting commie. fuck martin loser

>and VAX will win on backwardness.
Yes, if you want backwardness then VAX is for you.

Friendly reminder the year of the OpenBSD RISC-V desktop is coming soon

marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=150148952705168&w=2

What laptops run on RISC-V

>the RISC-V instruction set architecture allows IP vendors to add private extensions
As long as the software devs can target a common set of instructions so the programs can run on all CPUs I don't see how this is a problem (like how current x86 cpus have SSE4 and avx512, but the devs release a version that will run on everything)

NetBSD already supports it, kid

github.com/NetBSD/src/tree/trunk/sys/arch/riscv

Attached: DdqHAa_W0AIuDch.jpg large.jpg (2048x1536, 404K)

At least this one was accurate. Remember most people still have no clue that Google basically owns everything you put on it.

>pk, is a lightweight application execution environment that can host statically-linked RISC-V ELF binaries. It is designed to support tethered RISC-V implementations with limited I/O capability and and thus handles I/O-related system calls by proxying them to a host computer.
Whoa, does this make RISC-V the new Java?

Reminder that it's pronounced "risk-five", not "risk-/v/".

Can you talk to the one guy who is against releasing Mali source/isa
And get him to release Mali source/isa?

DON'T COPY THAT FLOPPY

this.
please respond, mister ARM user!

They aren't quite dead. According to the mailing list: lists.j-core.org/pipermail/j-core/2017-August/000645.html
>We have not done a release in a while. Not because we stopped, rather the opposite (customer deliverables).

This is an interesting post on the history of CISC and RISC.
lists.j-core.org/pipermail/j-core/2018-January/000781.html

HMC effectively is an IP holding of AMD (operating in China), and the other subsidiary is effectively the Chinese.

Abstract the ownership through two hoops, none, or a dozen, what I said was still technically correct.

Yeah, annoyingly. It's not like Bing is any better by comparison though, they're all turds.

>that site's certificate is nothing like ARM's site's certificate
>it's an anonymous GoDaddy one
nice attempt at falseflagging you stupid cunt

Except existing RISC-V cores are already outdoing many of current ARM cores.

everybody who has a foot industry know its a false flag but its funny as fuck to watch Jow Forums trying to believe

Precisely. This keeps the actual ISA from becoming cluttered, if anything.
Vendors can do whatever they want with extensions, but that won't make e.g. Debian build the system with a shitextension enabled.

But it doesn't mean it's bad for videogames or anything.

>having a foot industry

previous thread:
reminds me of pic related

Attached: marketing.png (1076x969, 107K)

wrong pic...

what to expect in the future? something similar to:
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

Attached: ryzen glued.jpg (1500x844, 181K)

>Can you talk to the one guy who is against releasing Mali source/isa
>And get him to release Mali source/isa?
Seriously, if anything is going to cause RISC-V to disrupt ARM it's mali, the majority of ARM SoCs are ruined by their mali GPUs, the second the OEM stops paying ARM for driver updates the device is basically useless and unable to get any updates. RISC-V doesn't have a GPU yet however there's one group working on using hundreds of the low power RISC-V cores as a GPU and there's always the chance of a RISC-V SoC turning up with licensed AMD radeon cores or an AMD SoC. You can't demand every OEM pay for GPU driver updates and lock GPU features as DLC then expect compete in anything besides $50 chinese devices, ARM you stupid cunts.

>glued together
Intel is scared indeed.
youtu.be/G3kGSbWFig4

Someone removed the "FUD" campaign from Wikipedia's RISC-V article, a ARM shill?

Attached: 1 (1).jpg (600x850, 835K)