(electronic ink) E-readers

Is electronic ink a meme? I wanna get a e-reader for both real books and wapanese comics.

Attached: FiskReadingMachine.jpg (1600x2211, 666K)

I build my own ereader by configuring a LaserJet printer to print the next page every time I tap the next button.

They have been around for a while and aren't going away. Superior for reading in low light and daylight imo.

It's really comfy
T. 25$ trekstor kindle ripoff

What are some good e-readers that aren't made by Amazon? I'd prefer to have micro-SD support.

Kobo is the other big brand but no idea how good they are.

>In August 2007 they were the subject of a brief controversy due to the unfortunate name of the latest of their i.Beat mp3 player series, the i.Beat blaxx, which is pronounced as "I beat blacks." After this was pointed out to them, they soon renamed the player the TrekStor Blaxx.

I have the newest Kobo (Clara HD) and it's fucking great. I thought 6" would be too little for mangas but it makes up for it in resolution. Only problem is double-pages, the zoom on pdf is trash but I've heard using KoReader might be better (it's pretty easily hackable).

It does its job well for books. It displays words like you ask it to and looks pretty good doing so. Can customize the text a lot and painlessly sideload new fonts.

Also, you don't need to fucking pay for the removal of any ads nor do you need to convert every single book (as with Kindle)

Don't support Amazon

Trekstor is a kek kompany. The pyrus e-reader that I have as far as remember got them sued for e-ink patent infringement. I got mine as NOS years after from some shady eBay seller.

I just wish the new Kobo's still included micro SD slots... E-readers seem like the perfect device for one, especially when you're limited to only 4-8 GB of internal memory.

Superior for reading period

E-readers are great. They're ideal for all of those fiction books that you read once and never touch again. You'll still want other books, like references or whatever, in print.
The only retards who don't like e-readers are people who have never moved in their lives, and think hoarding 200 pounds of books that they'll never read again is worthwhile, or people from /lit/ who purchase books for the sole purpose of showing them off on their bookshelf.

If you never connect your Kindle to the internet, you don't get ads, or at least that's the case on my PaperWhite.
But yeah, fuck Amazon.

Screw E-readers, I want a Fiske reading machine.
Why didn't it catch on? I can't find much info on it, just that it was made in 1922 by Bradley Fiske.
Was the printing the tiny letters too expensive? This invention would be awesome for people that like paper books, with 100,000 words on only 5 cards that would make books super compact. And really light to transport.

>real books and wapanese comics
go kobo my bro

source and read any relevant format from anywhere (cbz via calibre)

DRM-capable but it's not enforced or required

components except the GUI are open-sourced, so at least a little bit FOSS

I have to read a ton of scientific papers. The whole library of these papers is well into the tens of gigabytes.

Is there a good ereader that can be expanded beyond the 8Gb they usually come with to maybe a few hundred with a microsd card?

>tens of gigabytes.
That doesn't sound like epub/mobi.
You just got shitty scanned pdfs where every page is high DPI picture. None of eBook readers would handle this well. Fix those pdfs or you're literally need a powerful desktop just to view them.

What kind of papers are you reading that are tens of gigabytes? You can fit dozens of libraries worth of books on a thumb drive.
You either have scans of documents rather than decent files, or you have documentation for every scientific discovery in history. I recommend just finding the files in the proper format rather than try to read those on an E-reader.

Kobo is based. I bought the glo when it came out and its still going strong. There's even a custom rom for it if i remember right, but i haven't tested it yet

Don't want the goy to be able to keep all their chinacartoon papers in one place.

I don't know if this would help you're overall storage situation but you can losslessly optimize some of those huge ass gay PDFs with pdfsizeopt. You could at least squeeze a handful more books on the comically small internal SD card.

Use Calibre to convert and have a 2 minute chat with amazon support to get the ads removed for free. Kindle is awesome.

>Superior for reading.
Fixed that for you.

I thought the Clara DID have an internal microSD you can just backup, flash to a card and then extend the partition.
I know a lot of people were claiming the Kobo Aura 2 for the longest time was a flash chip and not a literal microSD, but then I heard differently recently, popped open the back with a credit card and upgraded that son of a bitch from 4gb microSD to 32gb.
6 inch is perfect for travel reading.

upboated.

Start getting gud at optimizing those nasty pdfs, doing OCR and making them lightweight, readable and searchable.
No, sumatrapdf is not "all you ever need" at this point

>doing OCR
How?

Attached: 1240471626292.jpg (330x636, 54K)

Basically pressing "do OCR" in PDF exchange viewer. It adds invisible OCR layer that allows search and select while not fucking up visual layout (you're still looking at scan) 100% recommend.