/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: X200.jpg (1504x1000, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kingston.com/us/company/press/article/50222
marvell.com/storage/ssd/88ss1074/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hey, it fixed itself!

the p52 is perfect for losers who want extremely precise FPS while murdering people online

recommend me a good affordable 12"-13" 1080p thinkpad or other laptop with ethernet port

>That'll be $2000, gaijin. Plus import fee.

Attached: 1514835182425.jpg (682x545, 76K)

Someone sell me an X200 please

About to install debian on my ThinkPad X220 what's Jow Forums's favourite desktop environment?

i3

no

Unironically Unity. I had been using KDE Neon for a long while, and switched back to Unity today to see if I could repeat something on a different DE. Asked in the fglt thread today how to 'get rid of the orange' in ubuntu 16, and user introduced me to 'themes' lol. Never knew about them, wasn't into ricing much.
Unity w/Vertex-dark theme, and Arc icons, with the fonts ticked down a point, and if you like Fira... shit is cash.

I just bought a refurbished thinkpad x220 off of amazon, but it can't connect to my router. It sends error error 163851. specs in pic related

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-10 07-35-35.png (519x193, 21K)

Rate my almost-fully upgraded E6520, has backlit keyboard and USB 3.0 expansion slot card.

I have debated the i7 Extreme chip but I don't really need it the QM does pretty well and even turned all the way down handles everything nicely, but would be nice to have 800mhz RAM

Attached: spec.png (665x536, 61K)

Was able to pick up a T410 for $120. Did I get a good deal?

Attached: 1344280563601.png (213x260, 62K)

That takes desktop processors?

xfce

just use windows

you autists need to grow up

First the macbook shill, now the windows shill, we need to purge this general.

t. autist who modifies his conf files and thinks he's a hacker

get a real job and you'll see that lincucks is only for poor people and a small subsection of turbonerds

Best S model to get? Willing to spend up to £800idh.

>Best S model to get? Willing to spend up to £800idh.

800ish can't type

Are used thinkpads actually a good deal as a daily driver for normie purposes on Windows?

why get an S? they are just gimpy versions of the real computers

My laptop destroyed itself. I need a new machine ASAP. Any recommendations for getting a thinkpad around akiba? I heard great things about x230 and t430?

Yes, as are Dell Latitudes
t. Magnesium case Sandy Bridge i5 w/backlit keyboard for less than $200 a couple years ago. Added 4GB ram so 8GB total, and swapped in a 256GB SSD I had laying around. Runs like a top. Put a 2TB HDD in a caddy that slides into where the DVD drive was, and another one in an external case hooked up to the eSATA port.
Shit's comfy af famalam desu.

I have an x230t I am selling. I have had it for 5 years, and bought it used for school in 2013. I won't lie, I did not treat it as well as I should have, and it has done an amazing job of serving me. Even though it's 6 years old at this point and the chassis is fucked up it has been a fantastic workhorse. Still powerful enough to work as a portable workstation for most things. I've had it get banged around in my bag while travelling, it's fallen onto the ground a few times, just years and years of harsh working conditions and it still keeps chugging along

i bought it for 500 when I got it, and have gotten way more than 500 out of it.

my i7 x230 even more so, since I got it cheaper and was using it as a desktop

get an i7 x230 and put an ssd in it.it's a top tier laptop

Attached: IMG_20180702_192811023_LL.jpg (1000x1333, 385K)

oh yea forgot to say

there's no dock for my p52, but the dock for the x230/x230t is cheap and works really well. adds the option for a dvd drive/hard drive and a bunch more ports

best of all it works off ac

No but there is a mobile i7 Extreme chip for it, the 2960XM

opinion on my order?
>ThinkPad T480
>Part Number : 20L5CTO1WW
>Estimated Total: $ 1,006.72 USD

E6530 detected

Of all the laptops I've owned I am absolutely in love with the E6 series and the magnesium shell bottom.

>he doesn't have dual (hotswap) batteries

Attached: memepad.jpg (1186x608, 77K)

A485 FUCKING WHEN

Lightness > slight boosts in power/battery life in my use case
But if the regular ones are that much better then what's the recommended one in my price point?

What thinkpad would you recomend for someone that codes alot? Im looking for long battery life, light weight and runs really smothly, lets say price range is at 2000 $

If I’ve never opened a thinkpad beyond replacing RAM or cleaning under the keyboard, how hard or time consuming will it be to replace the ribbon cable for the display? (A T500 specifically.)
I got a replacement cable, just wondering if I can pull this off in an evening or if I have to set aside a day this weekend.

Attached: 113D6B66-C587-4975-8F44-1D62A878D28C.gif (260x146, 933K)

Really simple, mark everything you do in memory and dont mix the screws. Tutorial is helpful if you want to be sure about something you do.

rec me a thinkpad under 200

T430

>E6530 detected
>Of all the laptops I've owned I am absolutely in love with the E6 series and the magnesium shell bottom.
It's actually an E4 series, but has a lot of the same features for a lower price of entry. But, like you said, it's a dream to use. The keyboard is great, the backlight is a bonus. I've got a couple add-in cards for it (ethernet and USB3) for when I need more connectivity options.
The best part about the Dell options is that they are over looked by the memepads, and thus cheaper.

Take pictures before/after you remove anything. That way you have a visual of what was done. Better yet, record yourself during the teardown.

What's a good Thinkpad with an excellent screen? Was looking at a used 3rd gen X1 or something

Intel has to be paying off Lenovo, these Ryzen ThinkPads are taking way too long to come out.

should i get t580, p52, p52s, p70 or p71

got the 2.5" 240 GB SSD for my X220 for $50
did I fuck up?
kingston.com/us/company/press/article/50222

i don't have a desktop btw which is why im cosidering a 17in

Attached: 1530932342705.jpg (450x800, 57K)

If this doesn't have a dram buffer then you fucked up

idk desu

the p52 is already huge

get a model with dock compatability

meaning maximum different kinds of ports? do uk which model has that? i don't

Does anyone use a T60 with a advanced doc as a main system?
>The pcie is tempting.
Also has anyone added a t7600g and overclocked?

So have been buying parts for a t7200 1400x1050 x60 build, but I was thinking maybe I should have went the t60 route. They accept 2160x1440 panels on the 25".

Attached: IMG_20180526_085625.jpg (3200x2400, 1.15M)

I'll be giving this to a friend who is about to commence his CS degree. I think he will appreciate using deb more than winshit.

The p52 does not have a dock it can slot into.

I found out about this after lenovo recommended one to me, said it was compatible, the rep I talked too said it was compatible, and it wasn't.

So Look at these guys
P52s, L580, L480, T580, P580p, T480s, T480, X1 Carbon Gen 6, X280

It says it uses an 88ss1074 controller which is called "DRAM-based," but I couldn't find any more specific info
marvell.com/storage/ssd/88ss1074/
the uv400 has a dram buffer with ddr3 with the same buffer so I'd expect this one to as well, even though there's no information about it
it gets up to 79,000 iops which is close to the samsung evo 850 at ~100,000 iops, but this one also is encrypted and a shittier manufacturer

>I think he will appreciate using deb more than winshit.
>>>man I am so glad user is making me troubleshoot obscure bullshit instead of doing homework

*2048x1536 sorry desu

not everyone is as retarded as you

Installing libraries on windows can be a pain.

If his friend wants windows that bad he can pirate himself a copy. If he is in cs and can't do that he shouldn't be in cs.

Attached: windies10.png (277x299, 21K)

>the absolute state of wincuck shills

F

I'm picking up a t420 tomorrow, I've done plenty of research on possible max ups for almost all possibly upgradeable components.

Are there any experiments that you Jow Forumsuys have done to modify your t420's beyond known or normal max builds..?

You can coreboot it and stick an ivy bridge quad core.

There is a t420 with a Nvidia GPU.

There are 1920x1080 screen mods.
>Max builds are cooler for older hardware though. Tbh I would just get a t520 or w520.

whos this gorl

Recently bought an X220 and been having problems where it will turn itself on after I put it to sleep or hibernate. Is this a common problem with them?

Give me a Ryzen ThinkPad and I'm never going to buy a laptop ever again. I'm not replacing my X230 until one comes out.

The A485 is supposed to release this month.

Attached: IMG_0141.jpg (4032x3024, 1.66M)

What can I do with a X220 tablet?

Thinkpad X1 tablet or HP spectre 2-in-1? For Thunderbolt and mobile gaming. super light is better.

Thinkpad x200t and a desktop.

I got a T430 for 75$ so i dunno man

>Thinkpad x200t
>mobile gaming
>current year

Its also something so ugly any decent person shouldn't be seen in public with it,

Mobile gaming. I actually snicker a bit when people come in with 10lb """gaming""" laptops to uni classes.

X60s are the best because they actually fit on the tiny lecture desks.

Also for the cost of either of those laptops you can buy a used dual xeon workhorse, and a half decent GPU. Also a older thinkpad.

Attached: ctrlc_ctrlv.jpg (2592x3456, 975K)

I aready have an eGPU, there's only a few TB3 equipped Thinkpads out there.

Chicago?

College station, TX.
Sorry desu. If you have the egpu already I guess it's a good choice. I'm just more of a fan of the older thinkpads.

Would mpcie or Express card work?

You must be like 50.

Anyone noticed that trackpoints are broken on newer version of Linux distros? Some common library issue?

Does anyone re-cell batteries? I have a Dell KJ321 advertised as brand new and it will not recharge on the Dell PSU and the seller doesn't do returns, figures.

ty ahead anons. Let's say setup is(non-daily, specialty use):

x220 coreboot w/me cleaner
8gb ram
Qubes os

What is a memepad T series or any with a bigger screen. Must be easy to coreboot (no soldering)

>he doesn’t have a nub
>his keyboard has scaled down keys and a vestigial space bar
I have a cf-c1 which has the same exact layout and it’s retarded. The circular trackpad is retarded too.

If they’d fix the keyboard and add a nub it’d be perfect.

does lenovo have a blog or something? why is Lenovo so quiet about the A485 when it's supposed to come out? No reviews yet? Did lenovo accept a deal off intel to delay the A485 or something

>cf-c1
Jokes on you, I have an even smaller spacebar but a usable trackpad and a touchscreen that actually works.

Attached: meme2.jpg (862x796, 81K)

the used market is plentiful as shit with a over 10x reduction in price for used, fully working units. zero import fee if you use zenmarket, just expensive shipping (~4 days from japan to middle of the US)

i'm about to get a 4240-2cm thinkpad for free. just some questions about it 1) can i upgrade it to an i7? 2) is putting an ssd in it worth it?

Will I be fine with an hdd on an x230? It has an i7 and 12gb of ram. I only run debian and do word processing stuff with it. What I dislike about hdds is that they can be kinda noisy, will this be a problem? Also is there a 4tb hdd for laptops? All I can find is the seagate one and it doesnt look very good.

ThinkPad E420 for $150, is it worth it?

no.

x230 or T430 ?

i've been using a t420 for 4-5 years and bought it for $115. Used it for almost everything and it's still working(using it now). Anyone recommends an upgrade that parks between that price range as well?(like $100-130)

T530?
You can add a quad core ivybridge with coreboot. It would cost you around $100 including the rpi and soic clip. If you use the vgabios windows 7 should work.

Why are they adding stuff like a touchscreen and such but keeping a single mono speaker?

i might leave this old lap at home for my sister. So i'm buying another one (used)

If you got he money, go for the x1 Carbon (newest you can buy) or the XPS 13 developer edition

In that price range your best bet is a questionable w520. It will probably have a quad core, but your gonna need to hunt down a deal.

Windows is for work. I can use whatever the fuck I want in my own time you priusfag

That's kind of shit

P52s

>except he does

How autistic are you?

They're both good

remove 10
newfag, Tomoko