>MICROSOFT SHAREPOINT ENGINEER
>FULL STACK RUBY ON RAILS
>WEB DEVELOPER
>WEB DEVELOPER
>JAVASCRIPT? JAVASCRIPT!
>MONGODB!
>JAVA! JAVA ALL THE TIME!
>.NET! .NET ALL THE TIME!
I literally feel sick at the thought of graduating, having fucked my own ass bloody writing research papers, getting published, and working on my thesis, just to end up in some dumbshit webstack netbean factory
I get that a paycheck is a paycheck, and I'm not bitching about needing to know industry tools (which I do), but I mean
What the christfuck does anybody do all day? Just maintain the same retarded bullshit codebase all day of abstract factories and WPF event handler MVVM nightmares?

Attached: 1516099641590.png (500x455, 86K)

If you wanna stay in academia then ask important people around your school what to do, but without any real networking those are the jobs you have to look forward to.

> presumably smart
> goes on indeed and searches "programmer"
> is upset at what he sees

yoikes

Look for an engineering job or what the first reply said.

There is basically fuckall chance, a PhD could be interesting but then I'd just be utterly unemployable. About 15x more PhDs are awarded by schools than exist faculty positions every year, and faculty positions opening are extraordinarily rare.
I mean I'm well networked, just networked in academia, I have some connections from previous jobs but that was doing Software QA, which is basically writing boilerplate test after boilerplate test to run through your automation infrastructure, and the only reason I liked that job was because I got to build said infrastructure

>Oh a career fair
>Ah, I see, Java factories
>Lets check all these websites for every keyword I can think of
>Ah, webdev and Java factories

>just networked in academia
Chairs / Deans have friends in high places, hell even your advisor probably knows something that can save you from pajeet-tier work.

Yeah I was being a little mean. You're really not wrong.

Engineering firms do some interesting stuff where you can apply your work but you have to look pretty hard to find them. There are smaller ones and then there are places like Boeing and such. I had a Computer Engineering friend who did some very interesting work you might like.

If you liked writing researcher papers. rnd at engineering firms might be what you're looking for? I had another friend work at some smaller engineering firm working with vision technology. Dot mapping spaces. He did a lot of research there, seemed interesting.

The smaller places are really under ground and hard to find. They don't care if you know about them so I'm not really sure how you would find them.

>go 50k in debt attending college
>the only career advice guidance offers is to search monster.com which is one of their sponsors

Attached: coincidence.gif (300x169, 501K)

I'll poke at more engineering firms, but it seems like what they're mostly looking for are classical engineers with a bit of autocad or python knowledge.
If I could get a job doing research somewhere that'd be ideal but it's just feeling increasingly impossible

Look at startups in big cities. I'm an masters student doing machine learning/NLP at a mature startup in NYC

>monster.com
fuck monster, supposedly they were good 10 years ago, but then they got bought out by some other outfit. I was signed up for monster for about a week and kept getting calls about selling insurance over the phone for weeks after I deleted my account. Best yet, the recruiters would call and ask who they called.

If that's your cup of tea, there are always interesting startups looking for someone for developing technology. That's what I did after my MSc... Doesn't pay very well and you don't have much job security, but you have lots of freedom and the work is mostly interesting

Just to add, if you go this route, look for startups with people in charge who are older and experienced in business strategic planning

I think this is a good way too. I think working for a very large company often turns uninteresting very quickly.

What is your thesis about OP? (just asking the general theme, e.g. security/ML etc.)

Your research is probably very relevant to some company's interests. Talk to your PI if you can. My MSc buddies got into good positions at Yahoo Research etc. thanks to references from the lab.

Distributed computer visualization techniques, I unfortunately didn't luck out on joining the ML meme bandwagon though I have used it extensively in other papers

Nothing comes to my mind personally, but you should try speaking to your advisor and supervisor as I said. They will have connections most likely.

Don't worry about the bandwagon, it's going to crash soon. I had been in the field close to a decade now, the amount of bullshit seeping into the field since it got hyped is insane. Pajeetification is overwhelming.

In the worst case, start a blockchain based visualization company, 300k$ starting. :P

Good luck.

When you leave university you realise all of the theoretical work you did just gives you context. In reality to be employed you often have to learn the workings of propriety enterprise software

The more advanced jobs you're looking for are out there, but they're much less common. You just have to know what to look for. That being said, perhaps you should actually try to see the merits of other technologies rather than autistically avoiding them because of some preconceived notions. That's how professionals approach unknown territory. Children choose things to explore based on emotion.

Also, as someone employed mainly in backend development for an enterprise software company, the field is cool. Most places are moving towards using git (finally), and microservices, containerization, big data (I know it's a meme but I mean real big data), event sourcing, etc. are all being adopted across the industry despite being relatively cutting edge practices. It may not be your thing, but the server based and/or web application field is completely different from how it was 10 years ago and is starting to get into some really cool shit from a scalability and performance perspective.

go work for walmart

The essence of the job is still the same though. It's like saying "We have shinier pickaxes and drills!" to a guy that does not want to do mining as a mining engineer.

Another point is that the argument that you made could also be made for 2008-1998 difference. You'd be saying the same thing in 2028, "Oh it's not like we're in horrible 2018 anymore". Every "We are officially adopting X" blogpost will be inevitably followed by "Why we are moving away from X" post a couple of years down the road. This is neither engineering nor cool.

t. former backend Scala engineer that moved onto relatively pajeetless pastures

>dumbshit webstack netbean factory

Attached: 1357302676343.jpg (351x440, 44K)

oh no! how are you supposed to impress your coworkers with your vim mad skillz and your riced i3 now that you're forced to use visual studio

welcome to the real world

Actually, now that I think about it, backend is relatively sane in this regard. The probability of having to write or maintain Javascript code as a programmer is much higher in comparison to 1998 - I fail to see how things are getting better over time for software (((engineering))).

>how dare you refuse to shovel shit when i do

welcome to having respect for one's highly skilled labor

That's my secondary fear honestly, that either the whole industry is going to implode like the .com bubble, or it's going to stay on this trend and be reduced to generic office work of "oh good you can use excel"

I've used most industry tools (actual industry tools, not "lmao i used github and tfs once" because those aren't tools, those are requirements) and using them isnt the problem
Its *that being the entire job*
I'm not gunna turn my nose up because they said "We use RedisDB!" (which is hilariously shoddy) but every damn job I come across is DO YOU JAVASCRIPT? WE JAVASCRIPT. WE ONLY JAVASCRIPT. THIS JOB IS TO JUST JAVASCRIPT THE JAVASCRIPT JAVASCRIPT.
Javascript accomplishes a lot but it does it in the same way Perl did. And I say that as an avid Perl fan. CAN you write OOP parallel programs in Perl? Yes. Should you? No you insane bastard. CAN you write everything in javascript, from GUI to backend DB? Yes. Should you? Fucking christ no stop trying to make it happen

>It's like saying "We have shinier pickaxes and drills!" to a guy that does not want to do mining as a mining engineer.
Nail, head, hammer, etc

no respect for noobs like you, go write some fizzbuzz on python

>codemonkey
>highly skilled

Attached: 1531157684941.jpg (1424x648, 88K)

sure, happy shoveling

the guy literally says in the OP that he does not want to become a code monkey as a published msc. reading comprehension is a good skill, even for neets

>Java is bad

Sucks to be you OP, having stupid preconceived notions about a programming language. My company does some high tech, bleeding edge shit with Java for the military.

so much butthurt
please tell me you use a mechanical keyboard so i can laugh even harder

To clarify, I meant that manual labor of mining is not something a mining engineer is supposed or wants to do - convincing him to do it by promoting newer tools is not really meaningful in that regard.

What's wrong with Ruby on Rails? Isn't it like, a website where you can learn JavaScript and Ruby?

Java and .NET are great, and I appreciate them immensely, but I don't want to work in a netbean factory. There's a clear distinction.

I'm about 9 beers deep now cause I bummed myself out so I can't tell if your ironically shitposting
Rails is fine *as a personal system*. It, Django, Node, Angular, and every other fucktarded bash-turned-oop scripting language should not be used on any kind of deployment bigger than a 50-person company
Google realized that way too fucking late and is why they built Golang, and then built an entire transpiler system to desperately try and recompile YouTubes unfixable, sluggish, horrible backend into something that wasn't the slowest pythonic pile of shit on the planet

Ruby at least has genuine concurrency support but its still slow as piss

I legit don't know what the shit Ruby on Rails is though.

$ rails generate scaffold Post name:string title:string content:text
Congrats you have a CRUD blog framework in a single line
Django is like that, but in Python, and somehow shittier and slower than Ruby, which is already slower than Python, so it makes absolutely no sense
(hint: its because Python's coroutines, objects, and threading are a cheap addon hack and Ruby was built with it in mind)
(both are still garbage)

Keep your spirits up. Your situation is not as bad as you feel it to be right now. I am sure that you will soon come across opportunities that genuinely interest you and matches your skillset, believe me.

Have you updated your Linkedin profile? (I hate the website, but what can we do)

What, were you expecting job listings for "M Sc CS with zero practical experience"?

I'm for sure just being a mopey fuck right now, I just gotta keep at it, job hunting is still job hunting no matter what.
It just really bummed me the fuck out to cruise through job listings for two weeks and see nothing but...well, shit. Shit that pays very well, sure, but no challenging shit. I was never in it for the paycheck.

I was hoping the industry wanted anything other than maintenance workers or Web 6.0 App Genines

I know buddy, I know. Good luck, again, and make sure to talk to your PI.

What do you want to do?

sounds like some entitled bullshit going on. why do you think you should have a nice job with just an MSc. unfortunately a degree does not mean much, try showing people what you can do, not what you've got.

Nigga, an MSc is bullshit. Nobody cares about your education, but rather your skills. I had zero formal education and walked into a £25k a year job. I have since been promoted and earn 48k. Just find a job and stop being an entitled little faggot.

>There is basically fuckall chance, a PhD could be interesting but then I'd just be utterly unemployable
Industry PhDs exist.

Attached: haha_hilarious_maymay.png (500x455, 52K)

Is this loss

are you in spain by any chance?
Because that's normal over here.
Additionally, expect to be earning 16-18k, 20k if lucky.

iS tHiS lOsS??!?!

>I got a degree in a field I hate and now I am upset that I have to work in it
is this a meme?

I guess so. STEM was shilled pretty hard so you can bet that a lot of the people smart enough to not major in feminist dance theory but not smart enough to really think about what they want to do or that maybe a university education is just not their thing hopped onto it.

wouldn't this make more sense if he put himself on top of the computer since root is considered the "highest level directory"

not smart enough for science eh

CS faggots aren't smart enough for anything

>Software QA
I don't think there's a single non-Pajeet QA person left

>>FULL STACK RUBY ON RAILS
Is it possible?

Attached: 1521127241725.png (992x976, 1.55M)