/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync; 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: Altair 8800.png (1920x1080, 2.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/1016360673318612992
pcpartpicker.com/list/mTwvZR
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3328-silverstone-rvz03-mini-itx-case-review-for-gaming
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=344001440,256001440&H=120,240&p=1&A=1&sort=price&page=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084
pcpartpicker.com/list/bpvMFt
youtube.com/watch?v=L8T2gzIkw78
pcpartpicker.com/list/swJQRJ
youtube.com/watch?v=HIgveGhJYrc
youtube.com/watch?v=yVnCCMI--Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=rLru2yueeis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have an fx8350 build at the moment
Should I keep holding out for 7nm
Or is there something better I can get now (cpu, mobo, ram) for around $300

Can I get a recommendation on a good gaming pad for FPS? I use a Model M and repeating keystrokes take a suffering.

Attached: yellowcat.jpg (662x960, 40K)

>tfw stuck with 4GB of RAM
;__;7

FUCK YOU DELL!

twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/1016360673318612992

Attached: 1495812218308.png (1228x1502, 944K)

Is an EVGA 650 G3 good? Is it worth getting a G2?

Hey, does anyone have a download link for winblows toolkeet?

I fixed my list a bit, as someone suggested in the previous thread.

Any suggestions? I'm mostly trying to convert my current build into a horizontal, smaller form factor (the Air 240 can be place horizontally).

pcpartpicker.com/list/mTwvZR

So when can I buy a 5k display that doesn't require a GPU with thunderbolt 3?

Attached: 1530583106653.jpg (240x240, 13K)

G3 > G2 and yes, very good PSU.

I'd get a Strix X370-I/X470-I to get more power phases, a SE-AM4 NH-D15 or NH-U12S and one of these mITX cases
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3328-silverstone-rvz03-mini-itx-case-review-for-gaming
The monitor looks fine but you could get a 1440p G-Sync IPS for that price
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=344001440,256001440&H=120,240&p=1&A=1&sort=price&page=1

Attached: h105ocgraph.png (600x600, 383K)

Are there any Micro-ATX mobos that would be even better than those mITX mobos?

The Air 240 can technically fit a Micro-ATX, but it would prevent me from adding in two more 120mm fans, later on.

Would a Micro-ATX be worth it over an mITX with two more 120mm fans?

I've read some iffy reviews on the Aorus x470 Ultra Gaming Mobo, does anyone have first-hand experience with the board?

How's this 1080? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084

Attached: 1501129443390.jpg (148x216, 7K)

threadly reminder to wait for navi and zen2

Decided to hold onto my dying 8 yr old laptop until these fucking RAM prices become reasonable.

Any word on when that is or if ram makers were officially sued for collusion.

THE RAM IS TOO DAMN HIGH

Reminder that I'm going to buy a 1080 and unironically use it to play Minecraft and there is nothing you can do about it.

>finish my first ever build
>feel ecstatic
>now I really want to build a second one
>still a poorfag
>will have to wait several years until I can afford to do this again

Attached: 1348326169466.gif (372x262, 1.72M)

"I have a new computer! I want a new computer!"

People like you are why Communism has followers

It's not about the computer, it's pretty much just an anime machine anyway. It's about putting it together with the parts you've laboriously picked, like high stakes lego.

whats high stakes about building a pc? every part is standardized and any retard could assemble one.

What is the absolute BEST but really cheap (~30$) keyboard? Reason I ask is because although i have a nice mechanical keyboard, it's quite loud and I'm living in a new place where I don't want to have the obnoxious keyboard slapping sounds, and I'm content with using a cheap keyboard for now.

Any recommendations?

Attached: 1416271735691.jpg (3264x2448, 485K)

It's high-stakes if you're a retard

budget is less than $1600 using a 60hz 1440p monitor. Main goal is a good gaming / encoding box that is cool/quite anything I should change?

pcpartpicker.com/list/bpvMFt

Will Zen 2 affect 2600X prices in any significant way, or should I just go ahead and buy one?

The money invested

I literally hesitated to buy cucumbers recently because they felt too pricy at 33 cents per cucumber. When you're this much of a poorfag, putting together a $1000 machine is quite a thrill.

What game is that?

>poorfag

You're either exaggerating, or you shouldn't be dropping $1000 on a computer

Looks like one of the crysis games.

it's a game you can't run at max settings

It's true that I'm not that poor, rather I choose to be stingy to an unhealthy extent (e.g. mostly just eating rice). I've been doing this for years and as a result, I can occasionally afford pricy items like a computer or a new bike, despite having a pretty low income.

I'm the same way, I get it.

What's the % of income that's acceptable? Is it 30% like rent?

How do I tell how many power phases a mobo has and how many should I want for a Ryzen 7 1700 that I still haven't overclocked?

Even poorfags can afford an $1000 computer if they don't have things like addictive substances to upkeep. If you make 1600 a month, 20,000 a year you can easily afford a computer if you rent a subpar apartment, don't have a lot of monthly fees, don't eat out etc. It basically depends how much of a hermit neet you are. A computer and an internet connection basically allows you unlimited entertainment so it's actually relatively cheap for improving personal happiness. Compared to shit some "poorfags" do such as scratch tickets, alcohol, cigarettes, weed, going out to clubs and stuff a computer is mega cheap. Hell even something like playing Warhammer 40k has a pretty good entertainment per cost ratio if you factor in how much time it actually takes to do any sort of skilled painting.

Zen+ will obviously be discontinued when Zen2 hits so eventually there will be stock clearance sales and the like. What you really should be asking yourself is whether or not you need the CPU before next year.

I'm sure my laptop can limp along for another six months, but to be perfectly honest, the PC is partially a graduation gift for myself

Money isn't as big of an issue, and I openly admit that part of the thrill of this purchase is that, for once in my life, I'm not being stingy as fuck on everything. I really need a new PC (my current one struggles running even simple old games because of so much wear and tear from being carried around for five years), but it's nice to be able to throw some money around

Is getting a win10 key from some grey source site problematic? My friend bought one last time he did a new build, and his system works fine ever since. Is there any reason why I shouldnt do the same?

Real talk, how shit are these 1060s with the single fans? Also is there some good uplifting news about the miner shits imploding yet? You know, make you feel warm and fuzzy?

1. Funding Russian mobsters
2. Just get a cracked version

I just ordered a 1060 with a single fan so they better be fuking good bro

Bit i already have one installed, i just lost my licence bc the transfer to new mobo+cpu. I dont want to reinstall everything

I have a 1060 3Gb single fan, the thermals so far have been good, though it's a little loud.

Though I do recall when looking at reviews, it seemed as though the single fan 6Gb versions tended to have shit thermals.

What are the odds of fucking up one of the capacitors in a cable while managing/routing them? Should I treat the cables like tissue paper? I'm really unlucky and stupid and anxious.

They're fine. Several of my friends use them and temps are good, especially the evga one.

>lost my licence bc the transfer to new mobo+cpu
That's what you get for not linking your Microsoft™ account, goy!

Should I get 1 1tb m2 ssd or get 2 512gb m2 ssds and put them in raid 0? Kinda seems like a no brainer, but are samsung 970 pros already at any data caps or will putting those in raid 0 offer a noticable speedup?

Can anyone answer my question?

My previous pc just died on me out of fucking nowhere, so I couldnt.

EVGA SC is fine, other models are shit

you google the name of your motherboard and read the specs on the store page

How do people feel about Asrock motherboards?
Was considering a b450 pro 4 for a Ryzen 7,1080 build.

If you were a richfag would you buy a $1500 ultra high system or a $1100 high end system and pocket the rest?

Just look at buildzoid's youtube content if you want to find a good AM4 board for OCing.
youtube.com/watch?v=L8T2gzIkw78
Lots of other videos that go more in depth on some boards too.

>b450 pro 4
I'd look at MSI since their X470 mobos have been great and their B450 line is supposed to come with BIOS flashback

$1500 is high end dude, over $2000 is ultra high end

X470's are overpriced in Aus for some reason.
I'll check out their B450's though, thanks

Look for sales on the C6H, just use bios flashback to get it updated for Zen+. High end X370 boards are still good, as long as you have a way to update em.

Are there sources that focus more on Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX motherboards for AM4 overclocking? I'm trying to do a build in an Air 240 case.

2400G+b450 board when they come out+8GB RAM would be around $300 and better than what you have now by far.

I'd get a medium level 1440p system for ~$1600 or so.

ASRock boards are good. Their highest end lacks some features that you'd have in a

The EVGA one seems to be fine, namely because it has a proper heatsink and heat pipes.
The ones that are effectively an Intel stock heatsink on the GPU are fucking garbage.
Cooling performance per dBA comes down more to number of heatpipes and heatpipe quality and fin area, then fan diameter, then number of fans, in that order, for the most part.
The dual fan EVGA ACX 3.0 outperforms the triple fan Gigabyte G1/Windforce by A LOT in both thermals and reduced noise, for example.

When I'm shopping for a GPU without experience with the cooler, I try to look at pictures that show how good the fin area is if I can't find a good and reliable comparison review that compares it to one that I know the noise of.

For AM4?
Well sometimes AM4 boards have the same VRMs as an ATX counterpart so you can go by the ATX one.
When it comes to PBO support, that's something you can get from BIOS updates as well.

I think he did a big B350 video where he details why most are so terrible for OCing.

How would a Phanteks P400S case go with a 286mm GPU? Pcpartpicker says that there may be issues.

pcpartpicker.com/list/swJQRJ

If this is a solid build, I'm going to buy it

The only thing I'm concerned about is the mobo, primarily because I have no fucking clue how to choose between them (and I've been told that the brand is what really matters)

>he did a big B350 video where he details why most are so terrible for OCing.
They are for 8 cores. Though they're fine for the 6 cores, especially if you have some airflow over your VRMs.
Most of them seem pretty much designed to maybe run a 2700X a bit over stock, and nothing more. Which means you have decent headroom on a 6 core.

That's an extremely specific question. Are you asking people to google for you?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/swJQRJ
>8600k
>wifi card when board already has wifi
>Define S when you can get Meshify C for the same price

Not "solid" by the mere fact that you think an 8600k is somehow a good CPU and worth paying $280 for.
Do you even already have a Gsync 144hz monitor, as well? There's no point in spending over $300 for a GPU if not.

>getting sick of waiting on b450
Goddammit I just wanted to build a new poverty-station with decent graphics in a small form factor.... Reeeeee!

I've been searching phrases like 'P400S big GPU' and nothing comes up

I'm upgrading from a laptop, so I'm getting a monitor

What would you recommend as an alternative to the 8600K? An 8700?

holy shit dude
>big GPU
>large graphics
>big card!!!
>steve hurt puny google!
it's called "max GPU length"

2600X or 8700

Attached: firefox_2018-07-10_00-36-32.png (918x178, 33K)

>What would you recommend as an alternative to the 8600K? An 8700?
Ryzen 5 2600X
Intel isn't the performance per dollar king anymore.

It's primarily for gaymen - does that make a difference?

a 2600x

>GTX 1080 no longer on the list
well well well, a year ago I upgraded to a GTX 1080 FTW2 and now your telling me it's shit.

Attached: 1510195615136.png (652x598, 648K)

no. The new i5s are 6 core/6 thread affairs. The AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and 2600X have 6 cores and 12 threads.
That one change makes a massive difference. The intel chip have have a higher average framerate, but it can and will stutter since most games prefer at least 8 threads. So i5s are already being tapped out at 100% CPU utilization in games. You'd get maybe 2 years out of it before HAVING to upgrade to continue playing modern games The Ryzen chip on the other hand has 12 threads, and will last as long as an 8700K. And when you finally do need more than 12 threads, a drop in 16 thread option will be cheap since the Ryzen 7 chips exist.

Attached: 1530048125420.png (1920x1080, 3.24M)

That settles it

Thanks, man

Even for pure gaming, 2600X is better.
A handful games max out all 6 threads of the 8600k, at which point programs you have running in the background can end up causing stutters and hitches as they fight your OS for CPU time.

It's better to have the extra threads from SMT and not use them, than to need them and not have them. Makes for better consistency. Even if you might occasionally lose out on a bit higher average fps in some cases, the more consistently high minimums are better to have. Plus you'd have a better upgrade path with the 2600X, and it winds up being cheaper.

It's not that it's shit if you got a year ago for $450 already.
It's shit when you could just get a 1070Ti or Vega56 and have roughly the same performance for generally significantly cheaper.
It's worth getting a 1080 if it's like the same price as the 1070Ti,

should I go all out with build 2 or save a few hundred with build 1?

Attached: what do.png (1414x2200, 429K)

scrap both and save money with Ryzen

but i care about performance

It's not a huge difference if we're being honest here.

like 30% faster on most things. Worth the extra hundred dorrar

>like 30% faster on most things
not really It's under 10% in most newer titles.
The only thing that's really big between them is the clockspeed, and if Ryzen were able to get to the same frequencies as Intel, AMD would monster them.

stock 8700k > stock 2700x
oc 2700k > oc 2700x

If Im gonna get a nice ass PC, why would I skip on the processor of all things? gotta have the best, or within 5% of it

Will my 8800 run crysis on ultra?

god you're stupid.
Ryzen isn't FX

just make your point already

Why isn't the gtx1080 recommended? It's currently at a sweet spot between 1070ti and 1080ti because it was largely overlooked by miners

Ryzen:
>comes with a good cooler
>less than a 5% difference at 1440p

see:
>It's shit when you could just get a 1070Ti or Vega56 and have roughly the same performance for generally significantly cheaper.
>It's worth getting a 1080 if it's like the same price as the 1070Ti,

moot and disagree, next?

So I have $700 USD put away to build my first desktop so far. My goal was to get to $1000 but at this point those last three hunnid are going to be really slow coming in with rent and food and everything else.
The two main uses I want for it are video/photo editing and vidya.
Would I be shooting myself in the foot buying it now? I already have a monitor and mouse and keyboard so the full $700 would go to the build

If I wanna run modern games at high settings minimum at 1440p@144hz, would it hurt to get the GTX 1080Ti? Or should I wait for the next generation of Nvidia cards?

Attached: 2f86208ef66e0d05077de495607f269c43fe11e505d66df693fe0f117bada490-v.jpg (264x292, 56K)

>oc 2700k > oc 2700x

Attached: 3770k vs 2600x real world.png (1024x1200, 163K)

>disagree
youtube.com/watch?v=HIgveGhJYrc
It's a very minimal difference.
youtube.com/watch?v=yVnCCMI--Bo

>stock 8700k > stock 2700x
They're very close
youtube.com/watch?v=rLru2yueeis

Attached: Ryzen-gaming-memory-opt_5.png (639x482, 53K)

your video just confirms my instinct to go with 8700k though

You said it's over 30% faster, and at 1440p, it's less than 5% faster, and at 1080p, where most people game, it's less than 10% faster.
Nowhere near the landslide you assumed

It's literally written in the OP.

for some things it is, just not 1440p gaming. for almost all things its better though, so why bother with a ryzen 2700x? Im not trying to save money, Im trying to build a ballin ass PC for under $2k

Well yes I know that but I wanted some personal opinions if I should just wait instead.

>oc 2700k > oc 2700x
Holy shit this is so fucking wrong it's not even funny.
I'd laugh if I thought you were memeing, but I'm certain that you're serious and just an actual retard.
You think the 2700k is going to make up for the roughly 100% difference it has with 1% minimums by overclocking it 25%? >it's 30% faster at 480p gaming on a 1080ti!
Nice goalposts.

With 3466 CL14 RAM on both, MCE enabled on the 8700k and PBO enabled on the 2700X, the difference at 1440p is pretty much nothing. Even at 1080p, there's not much difference