/wdg/ - Web Development General

Prev thread: → → →

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4&feature=youtu.be

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 1456449140972.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

socketo.me
indeed.nl/vacatures?q=javascript&l=Utrecht (provincie)
indeed.nl/vacatures?q=front end developer&l=
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17497164
javascript30.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for racially pure workplaces, and Python.

shit, posted this and didn't notice the new thread... reposting:

anyone? also, does anyone know of a ready-made opensource webapp/wordpress plugin/whatever that works like this? how difficult would be to make one with, say, django?

My skills are 80% front-end, but I accidentally applied for a Full-Stack Developer position and they ended up hiring me. How fucked am I? I know how REST works, at least.

entry level? what platform?

Not entry level. I have 1yr experience at a terrible 3-person startup. It's supposedly React and Python. I know a little Python, but never used Django or anything like that.

Did they even do a technical interview? If yes, you should be fine. Some companies allow people to learn while on the job.

I did, it was 4 straight hours of Javascript. I passed it all.

// backend = PHP //
lets say I'm on a page, and I want to post some data, do some server-side validations and perform some logic and other shit like database I/O, load session, and then include the next page in my flow
how would I handle errors? normally I would ajax off, then on success check for errors and display them. but how do I go to the next page server-side, but in case of errors return that data back to be handled?

Any Angular devs in here? What's your preferred syntax for subscribing to an Observable?
A)
this.service.Get().subscribe(ret => {
this.value = ret;
}, err => {
console.log(err);
}, () => {
this.SortValues();
});

B)
this.service.Get().subscribe(
ret => {
this.value = ret;
},
err => {
console.log(err);
},
() => {
this.SortValues();
});

C)
// Other?

>Angular devs
Why do you have so much worthless code there?

never used angular but this is what I would do:
ret => {
this.value = ret;
},
err => {
console.log(err);
},
() => {
this.SortValues();
}
);

>. I know a little Python, but never used Django or anything like that
Time to learn, do a Django tutorial now. And then another one and another one.

Mind going into a little more detail? It probably looks meaningless since things are named abstractly

I actually meant to do this for B... oops

ret => this.value = ret,
console.log,
this.SortValues
);

Or even put it on its own line if that's all you'll do.

I think you're confused on the typescript/angular syntax. the { } are necessary after each =>, and each arrow function (=>) represents an action (ret is return value from the observable, err is the error it might throw, and () is for doing something after the observable is done getting its data).

So it's not Javascript, then?

What's the best way to show a graph with php/jquery?
Not using highcharts

It's for a technical test

it's typescript, so close enough

Hey guys, I recently came across some random .js file on my macbook and opened them up. I have no idea what in god's name is going on. Help would be appreciated.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 11.30.35 PM.png (1280x681, 406K)

Is this just the source code or something for facebook?

I got nervous cause there's weird shit in there and I didn't know where else to go. Sorry if I'm just being retarded.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 10.33.42 PM.png (1277x80, 62K)

looks like some minified facebook bullshit. probably harmless. I'd ignore it.

Nothing to worry about, it's a generic Facebook beacon script, unless you're doing anything illegal there's nothing to worry about. It's just sending information of what you're doing on the computer to Facebook.

Ok, thanks. There's no way its sending info you fuckers lol

haha lmao xD what does it matter anyway? ur not doing illegal things r u?

That's minified React code. It's basically what happens when Facebook writes a React app and compiles it.

Facebook itself is a React app these days. I guess you saved their js file or just accidentally CTRL-S on Facebook one day.

How long have you guys been learn to code? How long did it take for others to take you serious as a programmer?

Attached: anons first date.png (585x662, 929K)

Mvc design pattern and handle it in the controller senpai, almost all other logic should be in the model but errors should be handled in the controller specifically to be able to reroute with proper http vars passed

yeah man that's kinda what we are doing already. we are rolling our own bare bones MVC. Currently I'm intercepting the inputs, ajaxing off to a controller method, doing some validations (uh probably I will have to call off to some functions for some logic as we currently dont really have a real model) and then returning errors.
problem is how do I handle loading the next page in my flow? I thought I could just header off in the controller method if there were no errors, otherwise the success callback would handle them. but that didn't work out. I don't really want to redirect client-side here. Should I even be ajaxing? I'm kinda lost atm.

IN DJANGO. Is there a way to use generic edit views and build forms with more than on model? I have a user model and an address model, I want to create a form from both, I'm using generic edit views but I can't find a way to bring out the address model into it, don't tell me I need to use a functional view.

Attached: 23.png (342x387, 207K)

Sup. I was that guy asking you questions but I fell asleep.

Your idea sounds complicated, but since you've completed a project over a 3 month period then I think you're the right kind of idea guy to get a big project done. There aren't a lot of idea guys that can, so feel proud about that.

For the project you listed I would be using react with a PHP back-end and react-native for the mobile apps. You will want a native app unless you are absolutely sure what specific devices will be used so you can design accordingly. Shit like phonegap sucks. I have 3 apps out with phonegap and they all blow on older devices.

and by roti I meant `return on time investment`.

I do not know of anything premade to make things easier for you.

People take you seriously when they see you finish a big project or you're making a lot of money from prior projects.

You know people take you seriously when they ask for your help more than they ask others for help.

I love javascript lads, it just works. And it works everywhere
And it's fast
and it's got all the jobs

fuck, I just love js!!

npm install literally-anything-you-want

Honestly when i tried to learn react native to do a project i wanted to kill myself.
I ended up just doing it in android studio with good old java , super comfy.
Sometimes the javascript meme goes too far. But i guess it's ok if you really need the IOS port.

>npm install leftpad
wow, such a hacker

Trying to make NPM not shit itself between updates is pretty hardcore stuff desu senpai

i'll fizzbuzz in your front AND back end kiddo, nothing personel.

What is the shittiest syntax on any language and why is it JSTL?

Attached: doggo.gif (270x188, 1.81M)

You're making a false assumption, there's no consensus that JSTL is the shittiest syntax or in fact is even shitty. You should establish and prove your assumptions before proceeding to use them, to do otherwise is poor debating technique and exposes the weakness of your argument.

Chart.js

Say I make a game. What 'stuff' do I need to research on to give it a multiplayer feature so people can play against others live on the internet? I say 'stuff', cos...you guys know, web dev is a fucking mess. Libraries, tools...?

In terms of technology, it's not fundamentally from a real-time chat room. You could use that in your research.

Socket.io was the old choice but people meme about it now, maybe look for recent alternatives that people are meming will kill socket.io dead.

Why do people act snarky when asking for help?

Cheers, I'll use socket.io as a lead.

I wasn't intending to be interpreted as snarky, just felt in the mood to bitch about the web dev ecosystem at least once today.

Stop letting your emotions control you. You aren't a baby anymore.

>Socket.io was the old choice but people meme about it now
Yeah, Socket.io slows down your app considerably compared to using raw websockets. And it requires a client-side library, which I think adds a tiny bit more support for older devices by defaulting back to flash or something.

But you don't need that client-side library, you can just use plain websockets, since they're built into the browser platform. Then you can use a server-side library for websockets, like uws (micro websockets).

Oh, also, Socket.io is only for Node.js, whereas uws is written in C++ and has bindings for Node, Python, and maybe some other languages. And there are sure to be websocket servers for basically any web language that you use.

wtf php has web sockets? socketo.me

This changes everything if it doesn't suck balls.

Just moved over from Hugo to Gatsby. Shit's cash. Gonna play around with making a 'full' pwa this time around through it, seeing how well it really fares.
Don't get why people are really sleeping on static sites still, seems like there's still far too much propaganda left over from early 2000's.

Does anyone know what EU countries are good for webdev jobs? I am from the UK (but can get an Irish passport if Brexit changes anything)

I just want somewhere that has a property market that isn't mental like here in London. Was thinking about Central/Eastern Europe.

What are some php open source projects I can learn a lot from by browsing through the code?

Maybe some forum software?

Here in the Netherlands you have an extremely amount of webdev jobs available.

Although I bet the wages aren't as high as in the UK. And you should be learning Dutch for it, which should take you 8 months or so.

Phpbb. Bulletin board. Lot of random forums out there still use that shit

*extreme

As soon as i think that JS clicked with me and i figured out the logic, i try and make something on my own and just stare at the editor not knowing where to start.
Shit's frustrating.
I'm determined to learn, and really enjoy it, but it can be disheartening when i sat here for 9 hours and seemingly haven't learned anything new.

I should really start with simpler JS projects i can complete and build my knowledge on that. What did you do when you started out? Any suggestions of really simple projects (which don't include APIs as i don't know how those work yet)?

To be honest that wasn't the correction you needed to make, "an extreme amount" could mean very high or low.

However it is clear from context that there are lot's of jobs, out of interest what is the cost of renting a place like? In London with an entry level web-dev job you would need to spend about 50% of your wages to rent a tiny 1 bedroom in a shit area.

Websockets are a general standard, not specific to any language (obviously other than the client-side implementation in browsers being in JS). There are websocket servers for basically any language.

>wtf php has web sockets? socketo.me
Didn't it always have them? I thought websockets basically started with PHP

Your correction is incorrect, the change from extremely from extreme on the other hand is necessary and implies an absurdly high amount. Extreme is rarely, if ever, used to imply a low amount of something.

>Extreme is rarely, if ever, used to imply a low amount of something

That's just not true

Hate to break it to you, but it is. How are you a native english speaker and don't even know this lmao

Well, unlike London, Dutch cities don't go on for miles on end.
If you can't afford to live somewhere, you just go live somewhere else. You don't have to live where you work.

Renting in the Netherlands is expensive. Usually more expensive than getting a mortgage, even though houses over overprived. And you will also get a bigger house for the same price that way.

If you have a steady job you can get a mortgage of 4,5 times your yearly income. But you have to bring a bit of your own money as well.

If you have a low wage and rent social housing from a housing corporation costs 650 euro a month. And you might get government subsidization.
Renting a house on the private market can easily cost you 800 to 1100 euro a month. And you get even less of your moneys worth.
A 250.000 euro mortgage is about 850 euro a month. And you actually save some money that way, as you can get it all back when you sell your house.
The most well known housing site (and only relevant one really) is funda.nl so you can check housing prices there. What gets you basically nothing in a western city, my get you a house with a pool in the east. But then you'd have to travel longer.

When it comes to salaries it's hard to really say how high they are. I think it's normal for a webdev to earn from 3k to 5k a month. I saw a vacancy today for non-IT trainees today that offered 2900 euro a month.
I currently also see a lot of PHP functions for 4k a month. Ruby on rails for 3300 to 5000.
Although in the Netherlands it's normal for starters to earn a very low amount and then climb in salary very fast in 1 or 2 years. It's not uncommon to earn 2400 as a starter with no experience and over 3200 one and a half year later.
I also noticed there is an increasing demand for SEO experts (lol?) and the wages for them are actually quite good. They seem to earn just as much.

If i'm using canvas in react and do drawing in componentDidMount, will canvas reset if i change state of the component this canvas belongs?

Wow, that was really helpful, cheers. Are there many Javascript jobs going?

Should, but also this is also piss easy to test

To add. I live in an expensive area. But if you move 10 minutes further the same sized houses are literally 100k cheaper.

Well, I live in Utrecht.

indeed.nl/vacatures?q=javascript&l=Utrecht (provincie)

bump

indeed.nl/vacatures?q=front end developer&l=

Is web dev doable for someone who failed calculus?

Absolutely.
We have just the job for you.

> A 250.000 euro mortgage is about 850 euro a month
> 250000/850 = 295 months
> spending +24 years paying mortage when you don't know what might happen in the future
> being this goy

You only buy a house if you have the capital ready

What would you people recommend me to learn as a web developer?

I am halfway decent with Rails (I got payed for making a bigger Rails project in the past), but lately I've been thinking about learning something different.

Is Node/Vue worth doing or is it similar to Rails?
What would be a nice addition to my stack?

>inb4 php, not touching it again

Programmers
Hate
PHP

>payed
>not paid

Are you being ironic or is it that you really don't need to worry unless you want to do back end development?

npm install gf

:(

Phaser and socketio

It doesnt get easier than that combo.

You might only need calculus in webdev, if you're dealing with WebGL stuff, otherwise it's pretty much non existent.

>What would be a nice addition to my stack?
I don't think you get what stack means

Why would you need calculus in backend more than in frontend?

No I always thought it only had web workers.

Been using php for 5 years and looked up php websockets dozens of times for projects.

>gf

Imagine that you're a girl. What would she see in you that would make her consider being your girlfriend?
what qualities do you have?

Algorithms for big data?
Guess I'm safe then.

>A 250.000 euro mortgage is about 850
Christ, at what length?

In the US a 30 year mortgage on a 180k house is like 1400usd a month.

He just needs money.

Whatever dude, I'm not an englishmen.

Oh common, are we arguing the wording here?
Fine.

"What would be a nice ALTERNATIVE / ADDITION to Rails to me more interesting on the market?"

I feel like Rails is avoiding JS too much.
And while Rails is "fast enough" for most things, it's not exactly "lighting blazing fast", if you know what I mean..

Attached: web_dev.jpg (1080x2220, 337K)

I have a girl thst likes me.

Learned she slept with her married boss and destroyed their marriage.

Visited her last night and her car display showed her messages and she was texting 2 other dudes while she was coming to see me.

I have no redeeming qualities. I work hard and am obsessed with business. I stopped getting girlfriends when I stopped being a swole and jabbing test prop and tren ace.

you're probably just looking in the wrong places.

>don't shit where you eat

I don't know where the right places are.

Maybe I'll join a book club.

30 years.

The difference is that Dutch people dont go into credit card debts for consumerist shit. The people have a culture of saving. So the interest rates are lower.

Pretty good discussion of PostgreSQL vs MongoDB (plus various other DBs):

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17497164

Reminder monogoDB 4 has transactions and is ACID.

javascript30.com/

I'm currently doing it, but it doesn't solve my issue. I code along with Wes and perfectly understand why he is doing what he is doing, and what each line of code does.
But if i was to start on my own, i'd had no idea how to approach the problem.
Many problems there are far too complicated for me as well.

Just starting JS, but further down the roadmap it says I should then learn BEM. Is there any learning material that teaches beginner JS in the BEM style at the same time? It seems wasteful to learn bad habits, then later try and correct them, why not just teach correctly from the start?

Do Eloquent JavaScript, read documentation, buy a few Udemy courses and keep on with the JS 30. When I was learning JS I found repetition to be key and things just started to click and look familiar after a while.

As long as you know what it is you want to do, you should be able to find a way to do it through google/SO/documentation, which is what you'll end up doing at least 2/3 of the time for your first year or two on the job.

>been postponing learning javascript and have been hacking everything together using other peoples script which I edited
>just started to learn it
>I knew everything (the basics) they teach all along
aaaaahhh

okay this is epic