Nbn

>arrive home after 2 weeks for work related stuff
>as i park the car realise my house had some white box at the front
>go to investigate as it's some nbn box, try to open it up but but it uses a seurity screw
>realized soon telstra will FORCE me to switch to the shitty slow nbn

Pretending i don't know it's there, anyone here also have it recently installed? If so how is it?

Attached: 20180710_144554.jpg (4032x3024, 3.91M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pjdUOskIBlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you can't even rotate an image so that it posts properly, how do you expect people to take any notice of you.
And if you're with Telstra now than this is a golden opportunity to get out from under.

Put a cock in it.

So get a security bit and unscrew it. Is this a new house you never realized had this box, or are you renting?

Open it for what purpose? This is an old house owned by me and paid off. Completely my property.

They most likely instaed it last week when i was gone.

So the hose is yours, and they installed something without your presence and agreement. Well off it goes off from the walls.

You could of had chad fiber to your house instead of 20+ year old virgin cable if the liberal didn't get back in power

>Open it for what purpose?
You said you tried to open it, how the fuck should I know why you want to?

Sounds like a violation of the NAP. Time to mine your property and install claymores.

what country is this?
usa?

how the fuck can anyone come up to your house and install cables and boxes and shit without your explicit agreement?

germanfag here. I really can't get my head around this. I'm equally puzzled about software licence terms in the usa.

in germany, if you own something (like a house or a piece of software), you own it - that's it. no one can come up and fuck with it in any way

He accidentally rotated 90 degrees clockwise instead of 180 degrees clockwise, silly Australians.

unless you're jewish from 1933 - 1945 amirite?

Looks like a madison box which makes your connection technology HFC.

That's actually kind of good. HFC is capable of the same speeds as the current fibre implementation.

Granted a majority of the HFC network had to be rebuilt but at least it will be fast.

i want Jow Forums to leave

its better than playing the node cabinet lottery , you have FTTP

Attached: bills2.gif (800x540, 2.65M)

Guns are technology, friend.

Op here, forgot about the thread. It's HFC but i heard it's still shit and out dated. Right now on ADSL2+ i get 15MBPS..

How do you know? It looks like a basic nbn connection box every house should get, picture related got the same one.

Madison box looks thicker when i google it.

Attached: NBN_HFC_premises_connection_box_12.VI.2016.jpg (766x1268, 354K)

DOCSIS 3.1 can push up to 10gbps so its far from outdated. Coming to nbn HFC later this year. On nbn-HFC theyre offering 100/40mbps.

My non-nbn HFC connection will do 100/5mbps all day everyday.

Shit, even with 50mbpos i'd be happy as fuck coming from 15mbps. I'm curious to see how the telstra guys will connect the other box inside, and where they will install it when i can finally order my NBN and transfer over.

My room is behind the house... and i know the modem needs to be connected to the nbn box which sucks cock.

nbn is faster then adsl retard

Do you have foxtel? its literally the same cable.
it just terminates as a coaxial plug on the wall.
You'll get an Arris NTD that plugs into that, then you get an RJ45 CAT6 out of that, that plugs into either your ISP provided router or your own if you want.

>the NBN is slow

Used to have it, still have the connection in my bedroom and one in the loung room. So i can have the modem etc.. in my room if that's the case? Literally don't need a thing installed the house then?

Attached: 20180710_202042.jpg (4032x3024, 3M)

I hear nothing but complains about NBN.

Also this is what i originally thought they will need to install inside my house now. One madosn NBN box outside and then another box inside.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

>I hear nothing but complains about NBN.
yeah oldies crying their fax machine wont work and then some old cordless phones don't work

FTTH reporting in. Who's jelly?

Nah, i keep hearing about the drop outs, and very very slow speeds and inconstant speed drops.

nothing NBN specific.

Just isps. All report avg peak time speeds now as required

>a piece of software
You don't own software.
And you don't own the electricity and gas meters in your house either. Nor do you usually own the router of your ISP.
But of course you're right, they'd need permission to enter your property regardless.

dunno, should i be? whats your speed?

Can't really complain

FTTN

Attached: 7459048354.png (350x200, 21K)

Fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=pjdUOskIBlc

Man i'd love such internet. Every cunt was telling me HFC was shit.

thats what my NBN was there was that 18month period where you didn't have to move to the NBN where it was 96/40 all day all night.

Doubt telstra will spend the $ to get it back up. They advertise 80mbps anyway peak time

Aussie BB is at 90+ peak for $99 not bad

For people that have NBN;

>How long after they installed the madison box at the front of the house / unit were you able to connect to the NBN?
>Can you take photos of anything they installed inside the house?

Telstra is an Australian ISP, retard. They can’t do this type of shit in the US either.

Attached: image.jpg (900x900, 513K)

Yep. NTD just plugs into one of those and you're off to the races.
Assuming those wall plates are still wired that is.

HFC = FTTP = Most sought after and considered the best nbn™ connection due to its superior speed

Just 3 more months until FTTC. Been stuck with 400 KB/s NDSL for years.

See Australian Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth)

Only people complaining about nbn are idiots

Its still going to be faster than your adsl
I got like 4mbps adsl2 and now 32/16 mbps

Fuck off Hans nobody takes you seriously

>>How long after they installed the madison box at the front of the house / unit were you able to connect to the NBN?

Bump faggots.

if you're talking about FTTH then you have to book an install for the shit inside the house to be installed that can be 1-14 days

once it's installed though it's like 24hours tops and then from then onwards you can switch providers in like 3hours

What about FTTP, does shit need to be installed inside the house as well like that of FTTH?

sorry i meant FTTP anyway

yeah you get a box inside + battery backup like pictured

Attached: nbn-ntd-installed.jpg (800x600, 42K)

How the fuck am i supposed to believe that my HFC is supposed to be good when it just uses a standard garbage foxtel port? when everyone else like the FTTP guys have a full on fiber box installed inside the house?

>finally get NBN
>it's FTTN
>max out at 26 mbit

Attached: 1460280773165.jpg (766x960, 80K)

is that your max line speed or your just paying for 25/4 or whatever

max line speed

>You'll only be stuck on Optus' HFC network in the long run if you're one of the 25,000 premises in Redcliffe, QLD where NBN has already installed the necessary networking hardware. Most of the Optus HFC network, the same as Telstra's, is being switched over to FTTdp or FTTN tech.
>HFC NBN is not great; you're dealing with one of the highest contention ratios on a relatively slow technology, which means that while your peak download speeds may be acceptably fast, they'll slow in busy periods. Upload speeds are consistently terrible on HFC. If you have it, you have our condolences. But hey, at least you have the NBN in the first place?

I lost the fucking nbn lottery

Attached: 1519073453951.jpg (4479x2813, 1.98M)

How do you find out the speeds for telstra? I imagine 130 a month is for 100mbps?

Attached: 3213.png (983x925, 93K)

100/40

Why are you missing the speeds?

they're all 50 btw

$30 for speed boost to 100/40

Have a look at aussie broadband

$99 i think for 100/40, no modem but no plan either

Attached: Captdure.jpg (976x937, 144K)

Because Australians are kiked, ignorant, submissive faggots who eat shit and ask for seconds.

Nice, i might just get the $80 deal since i don't give a fuck about foxtel, and get a speed boost for 100/40.

Nope. That's an extra $25 a month.

fuck them

i want to pay only $100 for 100/40 unlimited without the foxtel, been with the buggers since 2007. I better get some discounts.

what's your data cap atm

they bumped everyone up last year

think im unlimited (ADSL2+), aint log in my bigpond email for years.

if you're contract is out contact telstra they offer deals to recontract

i got 50% speedboost for 4 years now (just recontracted)

some get it for free but i cbf typing all that shit out again in live chat to see if someone will do it

this. Why are niggers allowed to lurk in your house when you're not present? also wtf is a nbn box? lmao don't you burgers have fiber? topkek

can someone tell me what it feels like to have fast internet?

Attached: gdfgf.png (861x331, 40K)

that is fibre.

A tech then gets permission and connects from that box to inside the house

>Burgers
He's strayan. Burgers have fiber.

t.1Gbps fiber burger

OPs case he has HFC so that box and the cable all belong to telstra / the government, and no other equipment needs to be installed since they used the foxtel cabel and connect to that.

i'm pretty sure they are allowed since they basically just upgrade the lines.

ah, my bad. I've heard most burgers don't have fiber just like Aussies because of their huge underdeveloped landmass. (except cities, duh!)
I wouldn't let anyone near my house, forget installing shits on it without my explicit permission and supervision.

>in germany, if you own something (like a house), you own it
except when you stop paying your yearly land tax and it gets taken away :^)

Or the government decides it's a nice fit for the local Syrian refugee :^)

Honestly, as many problems as the NBN has, I'll still take it over ADSL or cable. I effectively had no choice when I moved into my current place; it's NBN or nothing in my building. But it is faster and more reliable than ADSL was at my old place.

used to have NBN then it got ripped out and went back to the old ADSL2+ Foxtel cable

Attached: garbage.png (753x129, 29K)

>used to have NBN then it got ripped ou

had another anger burst, jamal?

>I wouldn't let anyone near my house, forget installing shits on it without my explicit permission and supervision
Generally utilities are allowed onto your property for installation and or maintenence of the public utility.

Water, gas, electricity, etc are freely allowed onto your property without prior notice or consent.
They can't ENTER your home, but they can check exterior meters and connections, as well as needed maintenance.

Depends on your local laws, but generally that's the case. If the water company needs to do a meter reading at your house you can't exactly stop them from wandering around your house and examining your water meter. Same with ISP equipment and similar.

You are correct. Government owned water and electricity agencies can check my exterior meters freely. privately owned companies can't.

>HFC NBN this time next year maybe
>4 megabit ADSL until then

Attached: f3381016128.jpg (1280x848, 368K)

>5G will render the NBN obsolete in a few years

Attached: 1485886098705.png (318x308, 52K)

>achieving a $10000 excess data bill in less then 5 minutes

Mobile plans have already significantly increased to being near infinite, 5g will catch up eventually

>"infinite"
>*speed capped to 1.5mbps after 40GB

Utility easement

Assuming you're already their customer, or theyve gotten permission from the HoA or similar local organization, you're shit out of luck.

Even private utilities can have utility easements on your property giving them a right to access it abs maintain it. If you've got a fence around your yard, they're freely allowed to enter it. Again, they can't go INTO your home without permission, but they can generally access the exterior without issue.

not enough backhaul for towers to compete

notice how your phone goes dogshit at major events, they can't handle many users

works fine for phones because people roam in and out of towers

now picture 1 tower just doing 100 homes and people roaming through

The Optus HFC network I can understand because it was such a poorly implemented and maintained network, but the rest sounds like complete crap.

On HFC cable for 11 years now (Telstra/Foxtel - Melbourne Metro)
2007 - 32mbps
2009 - 50mbps
2012 - 100mbps
2018 - upload bumped from 2 to 5mbps

When NBN switchover happens this year it'll be 100/40 and 500/250 is proposed under DOCSIS 3.1 when the network becomes certified.

Never experienced the 'contention ratio' or 'peak download' issues you speak of.

DOCSIS 3.1 can push up to 10gbps over coaxial cable. And it's coming to NBN later this year.

HFC is a VERY close 2nd to FTTP

>DOCSIS 3.1 can push up to 10gbps over coaxial cable. And it's coming to NBN later this year.
>HFC is a VERY close 2nd to FTTP
FTTP/FTTH is still better value in the long term.

Even in the US, the country's largest DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 operator (Comcast) is installing FTTH/FTTP fiber in the more wealthy population dense areas of the US. Comcast offers 940/35mbps DOCSIS, or 2/2gbps FTTP fiber.

>Aussie BB is at 90+ peak for $99 not bad
they're good cunts desu

I've got FTTP through them and never have speed issues. They spent a pile of shekels on their own backhaul network over the last couple years so they have capacity to spare now.

that's not true, if you own something in germany it's actually just rented from the government

Not arguing FTTH/FTTP over HFC. FTTP is better.
Look, if you happen to live or have an opportunity to move to a place that has HFC, but not FTTP, is that really a deal breaker?
Just cannot understand the logic of 'lost the nbn lottery'

I'd sure as shit take HFC over FTTN
As an end user either FTTP or HFC technology is perfectly fine.

FWIW Comcast or the USA in general is a not a good comparison. The USA's telecommunications network architectures are not similar to Australia and the business dynamics are VASTLY different.

>been with the buggers since 2007. I better get some discounts.
boomer pls, there is no loyalty to the customer anymore

if you're switching to nbn go to aussie broadband and get 100/40 unlimited for $99 a month

telstra are fucking rubbish and have been for years

t. ex-customer

The NBN was originally supposed to be a copy of what Verizon FIOS did in the US. they just fucked it up by dropping FTTP so easily.

Also my point about Comcast was more about the fact even with a MAJOR leader in DOCSIS networking they find it makes economic sense to deploy FTTP anyway despite the fact it has no interoperability between DOCSIS.

>brainlets still think wireless is going to magically beat having your own very large private chunk of spectrum contained within the fibre

>tfw I have a 1000/60 connection over DOCSIS 3.1 for 47 ameribucks.

Feels good to live in a first world country.

same Oh I forgot to add, no fair use limit as well.

>inb4 you make like $1500 a month

115/5 on the old HFC here. I just like that no slowdowns at any time of day (pull full 115mbps even at 7pm peak). Will like the upload but losing around 20mbps or so (as nbn apparently wont go much past 90mbps) will suck.

DOCSIS sure makes for an effective reuse of existing HFC network.
inb4 'im applying FTTN logic'. I'm not. 10gbps over coax is an actual reality. The best copper would ever do is 100 in the best of situations.

If NBNco had held Telstra and Optus to better contract terms, the HFC networks would have been handed over in considerably better condition than they were.
Arguably all the repaired sections of HFC should have been converted to FTTP but thats spilt milk now.

Verizon FIOS is another bad example. It relied on a mentality of 'its ours, and nobody else can have the hookup', as a result as soon as traffic leaves the Verizon transition points, theyre stuck slumming it with whichever competitor owns the next. Great way to deliver the ISP's junk TV and streaming services, and just about nothing else.
USA's telco networks are built upon 'walled garden' logic and it results in a poor experience for nearly all involved.

Comcast was/is a major leader in DOCSIS - But as stated, are subject to widely different business dynamics and interests.

You have HFC, it ISNT garbage.

People complaining about NBN have a fttn connection, or are dumb cunts that are still with telstra\optus who have invested absolutely zero in to their POIs.
Guess what causes slow downs and drop outs in congested areas ;)

I'm on TPG, HFC NBN, get 97\38 at all times, good latency, good jitter, and they're the no frills isp, the other ones give similar performance with other perks (for more).

ADSL is trash, now you actually have good options, why are you complaining?

>tpg

top kek

>as a result as soon as traffic leaves the Verizon transition points, theyre stuck slumming it with whichever competitor owns the next. Great way to deliver the ISP's junk TV and streaming services, and just about nothing else.
That's every ISP in the country

And Verizon backbone peering is by far better than almost anyone else.

Hell they even managed to fix their YouTube peering issues in the last 2-3 months that have been an issue since last year.

Besides, the fact verizon has their own network from Boston to Richmond means any service hosted in New York, New Jersey, or Northern Virginia (a good 75%+ of internet traffic for the north east) is going through mainly FIOS owned and operated fiber.

Steam is a decent example, I get 3-5ms ping to official valve servers in Dota or counter strike.

Try getting that with Comcast

> i heard it's still shit and out dated
> Right now on ADSL2+
What, ADSL isn't outdated?

I'm exactly the same as you, pretty much hit 115 down all the time. I'd trade some download for upload though. I'd love 40 Mbps upload

Are you even from/in Australia?

been on FTTN for 2yeras now

0 issues, speed has dropped from 95 to 86 or so at peak but other than that good speeds all round