How would you describe a "good" gaming laptop?

i know Jow Forums hates gaming laptop so i'd like to present this question, how would you make a gaming laptop good? are there any gaming laptops that you consider at least half decent?

Attached: lenovo-laptop-legion-y530-hero.png (725x515, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602
microcenter.com/product/507831/OMEN_15-dc0051nr_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>gamin laptop

Attached: 1525886733555.png (380x349, 70K)

S A G E R

&&

C

L

E

V

O

Sager/Clevo are great except for the shit keyboard.

Just buy a laptop with a Ryzen APU if you want something actually useable/portable and not look like a faggot.

No numberpad. No island keys. No backlight. Trackpoint. RISC, preferably Power. No OS pre-installed.

honest? just get a kickass desktop and a relatively powerful but small ultrabook. you will save your back, get more enjoyment out of the desktop, and have two systems instead of one.

Dell XPS 15 with GTX 1050ti.
I wouldn't go further than that when it comes to graphic performance in a laptop.
More is less in this case.

Attached: xps-15-sleek-profile.jpg (1920x1040, 145K)

They're more expensive than older mainstream models with equal performance.
For the Nth time, some people are forced into the laptop life by circumstances.

Dell overheats really hard, don’t get one if you plan to game on it for longer than 30 minutes.

Get the 999$ Hp at microcenter with 16gb ram 8750h i7 and 6gb 1060 instead.

>For the Nth time, some people are forced into the laptop life by circumstances.
Then get a light notebook. gaming laptops are the WORST of both worlds, not a compromise worth having

You don’t know what you’re talking about, have you seen the new gaming laptops? It’s not like pre 10xx series where the performance was completely trashed compared to their desktop equivalents (980m slower than 770).

And look at the new Gigabyte/MSI/Lenovo/HP gaming series, especially the ones with 1060’s don’t look too heavy at all.

OP here. I have a similar setup but instead of ultrabook, i have a budget gaming laptop with gtx 1050. Pretty good for gaming and especially doing 3d work on the go (game design, 3d modeling,etc)

>ever recommending HP
The XPS does fine, if you don't want something that overheats when gaming, you shouldn't buy a laptop in the first place.
Just don't push it to the maximum and you're fine.

Attached: 18mnf67cq5ijfjpg.jpg (619x330, 36K)

This, it took me a a few months of part time to save up for a med range desktop, later lucky enough to have someone gave away his Titan Z.

>gave away his titan z
damn what are the chances of that?

>Dell overheats
>get the HP
You don't specify any models you're talking about, are you asssuming that the XPS overheats because you had some cheap shit Dell that overheated? Jesus Christ, it sure is summer around here.

Attached: yvzsla.png (1000x809, 157K)

That picture is probably older than OP.

Good laptop:
- Has a good battery
- At least 120 GB SSD
- silent
- cheap

Good gaming laptop:
- has a good video card, at least a 1050 ti or superior
- at least 512 GB SSD
- cheap

For a gaming laptop you have a good graphics chipset, the CPU / intel HD just isn't going to cut it.

Good cooling system. Decent card (not high-end since you can't max on laptops anyway). I had a Clevo 15" that was pretty comfy. Could run most things on medium/ high. You'll probably want to plug in an actual keyboard though if you don't want to cramp your hands.

Just the right thread. I'm picking between Anus' GL502VM and GL553VE right now. The former has a better graphics card and a G-sync, while the other one has better cooling and a better keyboard. What do?

True

Attached: laptop-reliability-report-comparison-768x553.jpg (768x553, 171K)

go back to /v/ desu

/v/ isn't technology.

Even the high end workstation laptops like P50-series are forced to throttle when pushed which is pretty fucking sad for a 4000€ laptop. Most even have hardcoded power limits yet they still overheat.

>upgradable ssd, ram, cpu
>thunderbolt/free M.2 nvme for external gpu down the road
>good cooling
>using liquid metal instead of thermopaste
>ips screen with free sync/g-sync
>cheap ($500-$1k)

>lists all that
>cheap ($500-$1k)
Did they build a perfect communist society in whatever utopia you come from yet?

bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602
It's possible

What an ugly piece of shit.

Remove the iGPU from this list and go straight for a eGPU and you're golden.

Anything that can play most things on low OP, I travel a lot OP and let me tell you, sacrificing graphical fidelity for battery life is the wisest choice.

>Remove the iGPU from this list and go straight for a eGPU and you're golden.
That would be golden. Laptop makers don't put thunderbolt ports on cheap laptops without iGpu.

They don't put them on cheap laptops period.
Also, if they do they still might fuck you over with 2 PCI lanes instead of, which means you get only 20 GB/s instead of 40.
It's basically a scam where they advertise TB3 but it's technically not much faster than TB2, like Lenovo does with the Thinkpad T480/T580, T480s etc.

I slim chance a suppose. I was shocked for the next three days after putting it into my desktop to replace my r9 390

>ALL Dells overheat
Based on your sister's vostro?
>recommends HP
I've seen how shitty elitebooks are. I can't imagine how godawful consumer HP must be.

This is the laptop I got, got a really good deal plus I used my warranty from my other one. It runs well so far, no complaints. Was only $200 with the money back from the warranty

HP Zbook 15/17, Lenovo Thinkpad P51/71, DELL Precision, etc.

Thinkpad P-series with a GeForce chip instead of a Quadro.

I know you think you're forced into a gaymen laptop, but you're not. It's your choice to be a /v/ fag.
That being said, I fell for this meme and it's absolutely not worth it. Just get one of those slim devices with a 1050Ti so you can do whatever kind of work you usually do and forget about games.
If you truly wish to play something then just get a proper desktop. My life improved considerably after I got one and paired with a lighter and more efficient laptop.
Now I can just TeamViewer into my home and do whatever kind of heavy work (EM simulations and stuff like that).

look at the thermals and specs all other things don`t matter

The MSI GS65 is nice. Only problems are thermals, so you may reach 90 degrees if you aren't careful about airflow

>t. Dell PR

P51 with proper GPU would have been perfect for me. I don't game on laptops.

I meant the xps

Also, he wanted one for gaming. Idiot, all gaming laptops are made with consumers in mind.

>just get a kickass desktop and a relatively powerful but small ultrabook. you will save your back, get more enjoyment out of the desktop, and have two systems instead of one.

there are people with jobs and real needs, to whom a "small ultrabook" just won't do, stop perpetuating this imbecility you absolute cunt

I was ripping on """gaming laptops""" in a discord yesterday when someone sent me a link to this:

ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550VE-DB71T

Doesn't seem half bad? I still wouldn't bother buying but I could understand why someone would.

AERO 15X OR G65 IF U WANT SLIGHTLY LESS BUILD QAULITY //////TRHEAD

ok cunts then riddle me this

I need 16gb ram, an i7 and 128gb ssd, the minimum price I find is 1200-1300 USD

that is for a thinkpad l380

for that price I can get a dell g5 with much fucking better specs, an hp pavilion with the same specs but with a bigger ssd (pcie) and a mx150, and a lenovo/hp gaming laptop with a 1050ti and an i7 7700hq

now I dont want a fucking gaming laptop, but I want the best that money can buy

help a nigger out

Cunt, do you have a microcenter nearby?

microcenter.com/product/507831/OMEN_15-dc0051nr_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Bought this a few weeks back for 999$.

Don’t really care if it breaks down in two years, but seems pretty decent in terms of build quality. And it runs pubg and dota fine.

>Cunt, do you have a microcenter nearby?
no my dude, I live in stupid europe

I've had an old acer for 5 years now, and I'm fucking tired of it blowing the fans while running matlab/anaconda etc etc

I've tried running linux on it, but it's not worth it

I keep hearing ppl here say HP is crap, it can't possibly be worse than haswell acer

It seems like all the gaming laptops with kickass gpu's only get like 2 hours of battery life. So basically you have to be plugged in to game. Kind of defeats the purpose.

How does it defeat the purpose? Most unless you are literally camping in the middle of the woods, you are gonna have access to an outlet.

No one expects good battery while playing games. You would need a goddamn 5 kilo battery or something.

Sucks to be u, I luckily have my parents living next to one, even though I live in Europe.

But yeah EU is fucked lol, same specs here cost 1400€ in the netherlands, while I paid €870.

Your best bet is some i5 with a 1050ti

I’ve got one with a 1060, and seem to get about 4-5 hours of shitposting depending on what I’m doing in the background (torrenting/watching youtube)

>gaming laptop
Gigabyte Aero 15 X

Everything else is shit, lacks power, or will melt when your mouse hovers over Crysis.exe.

Do they make laptops with graphics cards that don't look like they're designed by a 10 year old with red backlit keys and GAMER all over them?

Zephyrus/Aero15

I've been eyeing this one. Besides the shit design, functionally it is what I want. I spend a lot of time in the lab late at night with a lot of free time while I wait for reactions to run, so this would be an off-laptop for me to just have fun with.

you should be submitting papers to JACS instead orgoboy

Inorganic actually. About to be sumitting one to Langmuir.j

Meant for

well done

This. The Envy x360 is a solid choice.

But not the 13 inch. It has thermal issues even when idling. If you don't believe me, go to your local best buy and put your hand on it.

Most Important
>good thermals
>easily maintained
>quiet cooling
Very Important
>decent panel quality
>decent keyboard quality
>well placed ports (not near exhaust)
Mildly Important
>reliable ssd
>reasonable price point
>usable touchpad
Not Important
>battery life
>g4ym3r color scheme
>bloated software suite that makes up for shit hardware defaults

Sager/Clevo are the only ones who reliably hit all these points, but you pay for it. Asus and Acer do a good job from time to time, as does MSI on their higher end laptops. Alienware and other boutique cringe charge through the nose and seem to forget some every time.

-good cooling
-good build quality
-more customization options in terms of hardware

as it is right now if you want high specs, or balance, or even something with above average battery life, you have to buy into the whole package. I wish I could choose my exact GPU, screen, battery, and CPU. there are tons of gaming laptops with powerful CPUs and weak GPUs, where it should be the other way around. I should also have to option to not purchase storage/RAM and install my own. ditch the disk drive too, it's just massive space that can be used for cooling/battery. oh and VA screens, with the option for gloss, light AG, heavy AG.

Attached: 1331770952901.png (689x518, 275K)