/wt/ WATCH THREAD

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=m986siwzefs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Attached: 4-14.jpg (928x928, 69K)

What are some good minimalistic analog chinkshit watches?

Auto or quartz?

Watches aren't tech.
They're jewelery

Surprise me. I've $20 to spend.

Stretch that budget a bit and you can have something somewhat decent with a DG automatic mov't

Attached: file.png (1374x834, 492K)

Oh nice.
Any watches that don't have branding and other markings on them?

just look by yourself on alibaba and such

>power reserve indicator is far bigger than the seconds dial and fucks up the hour markers
fucking WHY???

Attached: seiko3.jpg (1223x987, 232K)

I can't decide which one looks worse.

Attached: Seiko2.jpg (1009x1015, 273K)

>Watches aren't tech.
Except for all the tech, right?

>They're jewelery
Because many laptops, smart phones, monitors, mice, keyboards, desktop cases, graphics cards, ... aren't designed to be appealing, right?

Besides, so many watches were designed exclusively to be functional, and are only considered "beautiful" because of how utterly utilitarian they are.
Examples are the Rolex Submariner, the Navitimer, the Seiko Tuna, ...

I bought my first watch yesterday (ignoring digital watches I had as a child and some cheap shit later on), waiting for delivery now. Hope I didn't fuck up.
It's Seiko 5.

Attached: seiko.jpg (550x347, 38K)

This one could maybe be salvaged with some replacement hands that don't have 2 miles of overhang out the back, do something about that shit looking power reserve and different hour markers but those last 2 are probably near-impossible

It's not to my taste but you can't really fuck up with a cheap seiko 5.

Good choice; I'd recommend swapping the stock strap with a leather one, if you find the bracelet feels too cheap

that thing is perfect!

Attached: 1817645810_44ce7d321b_o.jpg (700x467, 277K)

>considered selling half my crypto in jan for a rolex steel sports watch
>told "le watches not an investment meme"
>crypto since then -80%
>rolex explorer +5%

Attached: Bird_Noose.jpg (720x701, 56K)

>putting your money in 1's and 0's
>not putting your money in a well respected brand's watch that people will want to own a 100 years later

also if it for investment, get a gold one

No, steel sports Rolex are the ones that tend to keep or increase their value.
If you want to invest in gold, buy gold.

If I have a watch with a lug to lug length of 46 and find it a little large. Would another watch with the same lug to lug length feel or wear the same or does it depend on a lot of other factors?

There's also the actual diameter (without the crown), but probably one of the most important factors in how large a watch wears is the size of the dial and crystal.

A Seiko tuna for instance is about 48mm in diameter, which is supposed to be huuuuuuge; BUT the actual outside of the bezel is only 41mm, and the dial is actually pretty small.

There's also the shape of everything.
Again taking the Tuna as an example; the largest diameter is at the "bottom" of the watch, near the wrist. The "top" part (furthest from the wrist) is much narrower.
This means that, to really see the full diameter, you have to look at the watch absolutely dead on. If you don't, you're not seeing both sides of the largest diameter part of the watch, making the watch visually smaller.

46mm is a VERY small lug-to-lug measurement btw, if the lugs actually overhang your wrist at 46mm, you probably have a 13cm wrist circumference.

>rolex explorer +5%
on what planet

Currently servicing a vintage quartz movement that doesn't exist on the Internet. No pics, service sheets or parts. If I break something or it doesn't work because I didn't put it together right it's fucked.

Attached: sweating_niggtrooper.jpg (843x422, 141K)

Who the hell is "MCO Quartz"? Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe this shit is Ronda-related. The whole construction kinda feels like vintage Ronda, though maybe it isn't anything.

Attached: 20180710_130512_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 2.82M)

Are you the guy who is always angry at his customers?

YES

I kind of like the idea of a anger problem having watch maker, being constantly on the brink of mental break down and working on delicate machines at the same time kek.

I like it when I actually get to work on the watches, but it kinda gets annoying when I'm working on an old automatic and the normies keep pestering me every five minutes with their crusty, dirty, shitters.

Pic related, some grandpa brought me an ETA 2783 from the 70's, along with a 1971 Seiko 7006, bless him.

Attached: 20180710_121112_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 3.03M)

Hay guis let's post some Soviet digitals.

Attached: Elektronika 5.png (984x676, 1.18M)

How do you feel about the 6139 6002 angry watch-man?

Attached: 6139.jpg (1399x921, 286K)

I serviced a really busted up 6139-7002.

It's an excellent movement, it would be one of the best automatic chronograph movements ever made if it weren't for that fatal flaw of the vertical clutch wearing out.

I don't really wear this watch as it's extremely beaten up, and the chronograph function is useless. Good thing I got it almost free.

Attached: IMG_20180208_163023.jpg (3264x2448, 1.24M)

Attached: Sreen Shot 2018.png (2090x1434, 1.59M)

>quartz
No thanks m8. I'm only considering those other ugly chronos because they're spring drive for $2500

So you'd recommend one? Are they going to be running out of parts any time soon?

>No thanks m8. I'm only considering those other ugly chronos because they're spring drive for $2500
YOU COULD GET A LANDMASTER ^_^