Do these things suck or what?

Do these things suck or what?

I don't have wrist problems at the moment but I did have a non PC related wrist injury and surgery. Would it be prudent to switch to something like this to reduce wrist strain?

Does it even reduce wrist strain?

Attached: 8ANRh.jpg (500x500, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B078HH8GVN/ref=psdc_430565031_t5_B0763LFQ6X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why don't you try one?

Because that would just be my anecdotal experience and also ones with scroll wheels aren't cheap. Like 40 or 50 bucks.

This + Dvorak...
Imagine purposely drifting away from standards just to make your safety zone even smaller.

>why don't you spend a lot of money just to try something out and if you don't like it you can't return it because you've obliterated the package and the product itself is unbroken so the store won't accept the return and you'll just end up with a paperweight that you'll never use
great advice lad

>Do these things suck or what?
That specific trackball sucks, yes. The Microsoft trackball is much better. That said, a Wacom tablet is better still. I've had one since the 90s and have avoided wrist strain entirely.

You can't open the packaging accurately?

I'm not interested in a memer hipster keyboard layout. Won't benefit me.

Wait you mean using wacom tablet as a mouse? Why?

>Dvorak
Did you mean to say "workman"?

Relying on "anecdotal experience" when it's your *own* experience isn't really a problem, you know.

I have a trackball that sits under the thumb (Logitech M570 maybe?). I suspect I'd like the type you pictured a little better, but I got the one I have for free at a Brooklyn stoop sale.

I definitely prefer a mouse, but use the trackball when I'm in a cramped space (e.g., using my laptop in an easy chair). I don't have wrist pain, so I can't comment on whether it helps with that. But I can say that my formula for avoiding pain:
* TKL or smaller keyboard
* spending a little time on typing technique
* learning keyboard shortcuts and customizing to add new ones
* Using hand exercisers (admittedly inconsistently)
has kept carpal tunnel away from me, and I think that's something, given that I also play double bass

It is If I feel like I get less strain and its a placebo.

Also what is tkl? I have very good typing technique but I don't use shortcuts much. I play guitar too by the way.

If it's more obscure then hell yeah!

TKL = Tenkeyless--it's a keyboard layout, and is a normal keyboard minus the numeric (tenkey) keys. You might also look into 60% if you're interested...and I won't evangelize, but I do think using mechanical switches is a good move.

> placebo
A placebo that works for you isn't a bad thing. But that's not really my point...rather, if you are *feeling* less stress in your hand(s) due to your ergonomic decisions, that's a much better indicator of what will really reduce your chances of injury than a generalized study. There are so many variables to your personal ergonomic setup that in the end you're just going to have to make a personal decision about what works for you.

Oh, I didn't mention the advantage of TKL or other compact keyboard formats--they allow you to have your mouse closer to the center line of your body, which can reduce strain, particularly on your shoulder.

I don't really see how a smaller keyboard helps though. I'm used to a Microsoft comfort curve. I've been using it for almost a decade.

I still don't want to throw away money on a trackball until I get more input. I've never had the opportunity to use one.

I tilt my keyboard a bit so I would think this would be supremely minor.

OP, I have the Elecom Huge and have also used a Kensington Expert Mouse. Both are excellent and I can't recommend a trackball enough - there's no way I will ever go back to a regular mouse.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1500x1113, 244K)

I don't know what you mean about tilting your keyboard, but losing the numpad gets the mouse about 6 inches further to the left for me, and even more when I use a 40% or 60% keyboard. I think it's worth it. Anyway, that's off topic...trackballs aren't just a meme and they're probably worth trying out. I doubt you'll find a double-blind study that "proves" this, though. If you can't risk $40 or so, you're probably going to want to ask around and borrow one.

Expensive.

I can't imagine them being as fast to use as a normal mouse but I am slightly interested in them now. They are priced much higher than typical mice.

You can return anything if you have the packaging in the EU in 14 days.

I think they are absolutely worth it given the amount of comfort you gain. My job is programming: I'm more than happy to pay for good equipment.

Not in eu

how can write smooth line on such not flat plate that is hand

pants on head retard

You can say so.

Attached: nuh8kgdfdg211.png (2043x663, 152K)

> how can write smooth line on such not flat plate that is hand
Did this go through Google translate or something?

Attached: 1521397628327.png (512x512, 244K)

buy it from amazon then, you can return it for any reason iirc

They aren't really meant for wrist strain - you can just use a wrist rest for that - they're for people who broke their wrist and can't physically use a normal mouse at all.

Attached: comment_Rfo8HoGSyLWBSEL0WnZ21slnIxQLWRhA,w400.jpg (400x379, 17K)

i always feel shaky when using one. i wonder how long it takes to get used to

Wrist rest with how I use a mouse wouldn't be possible. I sit on 500 DPI and use my arm over wrist movement.

Try a vertical mouse instead?

about the only thing you can do is try out some cheaper trackballs.
i think the m570 logitech one is getting cheaper now that there's a new, expensive model. Thumb-balls are probably the easiest to get used to when coming from a regular mouse since your hand is almost in the same position for buttons. I use one of these are game with it fine, but logitech's click switches tend to fail with heavy use.

the elecom posted earlier uses your index or index+middle finger for control, and is also really good. Takes a little longer to get used to compared to thumb-balls but eases hand stress in a different way (some folks have trouble with their thumbs or have finer movement with their fingers rather than thumb). microsoft made an excellent one in this form once upon a time....

kensington ones are another choice, and solid manufacturer, with their larger ball and scroll wheel. huge ball means you can use your palm or any finger, easing hand/wrist stresses in yet another way.

there's also weird shit like pistol grip track ball, could be interesting but manufacturer is crap.

I have a kensington trackball for about a year now. It was really cheap and feels like it, but I love it. Trackballs are definitely not for everyone.

The accuracy is much lower. If you have to do a lot of precision clicking, it can become really frustrating.

They use very little space, and your hand doesn't travel far from the home row, which is really nice. If your windows activate under the mouse cursor, you can flick the trackball and get to where you need to be with ease. Sometimes this is even faster than a key combo with i3

The ball gets dirty. Oil and dead skin from your hands will rub-off on the ball and accumulate where the ball meets the inner housing of the trackball. The rate at which this happens depends on a few factors, and how often you'll have to clean it will vary. For me, it's a very gradual thing, and the cleaning process is easy, but some people have to do this once-a-day.

how can write smooth line

Are you asking a question?

you get used to it, find it hard to use a normal mouse after using a trackball mainly for a couple years now. also mostly use the clit mouse on my chinkpad so it is mostly alternative mouse types for me.
started with the one you posted, now on this one. probably not for everyone, but i like using it.

Attached: CST2545-5W-GL-L-Trac-Glow-Trackball.jpg (800x602, 109K)

BLOOD TYPE: BLUE
ANGEL IDENTIFIED

Attached: maya-ibuki-neon-genesis-evangelion-the-end-of-evangelion-66.7.jpg (210x240, 13K)

ussing a kensington expert mouse , i will never go back to a normal mouse.

it is fucking easy to get used to it , and the extra buttons will make your workflow so fucking easy ..i wish i knew about it sooner.

looks pretty neat. What do you use the extra buttons for?

kek

>Having bitch wrists

Lmao, eat some meat and exercise, basedboys.

I've found this interesting ergonomic keyboard + mini trackball 2 in 1: amazon.co.uk/dp/B078HH8GVN/ref=psdc_430565031_t5_B0763LFQ6X

I wonder if works well...

Forgot image.

Attached: Perixxtrackballkeyboard.jpg (1500x1500, 166K)

I have an Elecom HUGE. I don't competitively game but I found it fine for coop games and casual time wasters. Like having the extra buttons over the Kensington expert. You should spend top $ on human interfaces. Audio, whether it be speakers or headphones, monitor, keyboard, pointing device, splurge on a drawing tablet if you'll find use out of it. CPU /RAM /mobo/disks I dont care about nearly as much

This is interesting. I was also debating on a clit mouse and keyboard for the desktop.

the Huge is the comfiest browsing mouse ever made

>a non PC related wrist injury and surgery
fucking pussy, quit your cryin

Get a fucking slit and screw in your wrist faggot. You're not cool for enduring arthritis nor tough, just a fucking idiot.

If I can minimize my risk of issue later on I can try.

Don't fall for the bait, user. They survive by sucking negative energy out of your dick.

I have a deft, upgrading to deft pro. I've also had a marble mouse, and mx570, and whatever the thumball elecom is/was.

because he's a nigger

I use that exact model. It works great for me, found it way comfier than models with the ball under the thumb. You can configure left inner button + ball to act as a scroll wheel on GNU/Linux.

cmon dude, i was just messing with you

but seriously, how much does it hurt to know you're a fucking idiot?

nothing to see here, just checking

I have one of the ones on the left. Bought a replacement trackball for it because the internet said the ones that come with it suck ass, and from the two seconds I decided to test their theory, they were correct. Best money I've ever spent in my life, and it's alleviated my wrist pain and allowed me to use my computer for long periods of time again. Can't recommend it enough. Just don't get a trackball where you use your thumb to control the ball.

Attached: 1523069645577.png (700x900, 282K)

does the 'huge' work for average sized hands?

Anyone know where to buy aftermarket balls? I found a site once but can't find it anymore. I just want a 55mm magic 8 ball

I prefer index finger track balls like in the OP, one nice benefit is I find them to be more accurate than a track pad and 'almost' as good as a mouse so I use it to do work on my laptop from the couch.

They are ok but sucks alot to play gaymes

Really? I play a lot of games like divinity for instance and I was thinking this might be good for that.

I fucking love my CST. It saved my career because I can actually use a mouse now without my hand just killing me.

as someone with tendonitis, I don't believe you for a second, writing makes my wrist hurt much more and much faster than using a mouse