/spg/ - Smartphone General

Vintage Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: 1200px-HTC_Dream_Orange_FR.jpg (1200x900, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/
android.com/one/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

God I loved it when smartphones had those pull out keyboards. Shame none do anymore - the closest thing you can do is buy a slide out bluetooth keyboard case for the iPhone or Samsung's flagships.

Anyone here used weird phones?
What model did you use, and how was it?

Attached: 1516964997188709.jpg (447x335, 46K)

The sliding magnet mechanism is really satisfying too

Based G1 poster.

Attached: IMG_0017.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

Well, there is the Moto Z keyboard mod but it still hasn't gone into mass production

Is the stylo 4 a good buy? I can get it for under $200 but was wondering if there's anything better than this for the price range.

Attached: sty1.jpg (750x673, 271K)

>TFT
Literal bottom of the barrel SHIT

The phone has fast charging and a snapdragon 450 though. Are modern tft screens still that bad?

I can get huawei y6 2018 and redmi 5a for the same price. Which would you choose? I just need a not so dumb dumb phone. Theyre almost identical spec wise so what should i check out before picking one?

What rom does Jow Forums recommend?

Not a slide keyboard, and not exactly a phone, but the Gemini PDA has a physical keyboard and can take a SIM if you get the 4G model.

Attached: 1528372256793.jpg (1500x938, 703K)

Didn't know the G1/HTC Dream came in white. Looks really comfy.

Dunno if this is the correct place to ask, but is buying the Huawei Honor 7X on AliExpress safe?

I remember reading about that _years_ ago. What's the deal with the Moto Z? Do they still release updated hardware that'll work with the old mods? It'd be cool to have a more modern phone with a real keyboard, but it would suck if you were still having to settle for something years old.

When I bought mine that was the only color there was. Before the G1 I had a shitty HTC Apache windows mobile on Verizon. Happily took the network coverage hit moving over to TMobile. The difference from winmo to Android.. it was like. I can't even explain it. At the time, shit was a revelation.

I knew three people who had the T-Mobile G1 and they all had black.

The MotoMod dock is proprietary, and it's the same across all Z/Z Play phones, so yes the Mods will work, even if the mods themselves are old and the phone is brand new or vice versa

Motorola promised backwards compatibility for three years, so this year's Moto Z3-series phones will still support the all the currently released Mods.

Thank you for the informative responses. I think it'd be hard to convince myself the Moto Z is worth getting now that we're finally getting a phone that's fairly freedom-respecting. (Librem 5)

That's weird. I don't remember a black one at the time. I could be wrong though.

Why are you buying one of AliExpress?
I'm VERY skeptical of the Librem 5, until it's released it's Vaporware, and I've seen what the KDE OS looked like and none of these Linux Mobile OS are polished enough to be ready for the primetime
Once they actually get it to work on 64bit ARM, and they work the kinks out, it might be worth it, but not as a first adopter
Get a Z2 Force Refurb for under $300

Well, PureOS is already what they use on their laptops, so I think it's in pretty good shape already.

It's like 50 bucks cheaper there.

Did you check the bands? AliExpress usually sells the Chinese versions of Honor/Huawei phones, which lack important network bands for other countries.

I'm in the US using Cricket. You think that'll work?

Cricket is owned by at&t so any phone you get needs to work with them

If the seller is from Hong Kong or Taiwan, and the LTE bands advertised are the correct ones for where you live, then it should be ok
Theres hurdles in porting a desktop OS to a mobile OS, haven't seen PureOS Mobile in action yet, and it's probably due to pic related

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-10-11-06-22.jpg (1080x1852, 453K)

>Theres hurdles in porting a desktop OS to a mobile OS
We already have GNU/Linux for ARM. The only work I can imagine on the software side is making a GUI fit for mobile devices. I imagine the core OS will be largely unchanged. Just like I can run Arch Linux Arm on a Raspberry Pi and it works as expected coming from regular Arch.

>that pic
Interesting. I wonder if they'll reverse engineer the hardware if needed or just opt to use something else. IIRC they've helped fund libreboot in the past.

No, you need the US version. It's the only one with bands for the US carriers.

I guess I'll have to spent the extra 50 to buy it on Amazon or something. Alright, thanks.

Any news of the higher end nokia phones coming to US?

6.1 is good but if there's a chance of 7 plus or 8 Sirocco coming over I'll wait

Good mid-tier recommendations between 250-400€ ?

WHAT THE FUCK SAMSUNG LET ME DELETE THIS SHIT
F U C K 27%
TWENTY SEVEN
WHAT THE FUCK EVEN IS THIS?
IM SEETHING
IPHONE X HERE I COME

Attached: 20180710_082736.jpg (1080x1356, 143K)

>Buying samshit phones

Lol

t. poor

Enjoy your half hour battery life from all the garbage like

xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Nokia 7+/8 Scirocco are very unlikely to release in the US at this point.

There is Nokia X5 (5.1 Plus) and X6 (6.1 Plus) on the way, and rumours of a flagship device being in development (Nokia 9 or 10), but none have been confirmed for an US release.

opinions on the moto mod phones?
I've had mine for nearly a year.
It is kind of buggy sometimes but it's also my first android phone so I don't know if this level is normal
The extra battery life from the mod is great.
I only have that mod and the speaker but both are nice.

Redmi Note 5, Mi Mix 2
Nokia 6.1 / 7 Plus / 8
Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact
Honor 10

iPhone SE

That's not carrier bloatware you fucking idiot

>How to Uninstall Carrier/OEM Bloatware Without Root Access
learn to read English, pajeet

Adguard, blokada or dns66?

Got my Lenovo Z5 a week ago, 200€.
Really not a bad item, doog quildballity.

I mainly got it cuz I’m sofa-king impressed with the PR jippo and how disappointed so many fags got, also by how stupid they are not to recognize the genius marketing jippo. Will sell it on (taking a small profit), and replace it with one or several items also moving them on after taking small profits.
These are the coming phones I find interesting:
Mi Max 3
Mi mix 3
Nubia Z18
Meizu 16

(Might also order a smartisan R1 just for the hell of it.)
Ordering chink phones haven't been this exiting since the Jiayu G3 in my not so fucking humble opinion.

I also hold a firm opinion that 95% of the consumers have no use of spending more money on a SD845 rather than the cheaper and more energy efficient SD710, money out the window.

Attached: 8405969943_98b501a373.jpg (450x310, 26K)

Is it worth switching to Z5 from Zuk Z2?

Looks like the fucking Omnitrix

Anyone else have had a pretty decent phone that can do every thing they need yet keep feeling a stupid pressure/desire to upgrade ?

Had an iPhone SE for the past two years now and it’s still quite good aside from the battery

Attached: image.jpg (640x1136, 253K)

The SE is in a weird spot. Like a high tier in the body of a low tier phone.

I can only compare it to my OP3,and its definitely better than that, fast charge is a bit better on op3 tho.

My Galaxy Note 4 is around 3 years strong by now and still Just Works(tm) yet I want that 4k Sony meme phone for VR

I just got an ZX1 Compact in the US. can I get the fingerprint reader to work without bricking it?

I'm due for a free upgrade but have no idea where to start. I'm sick of Apple/Samsung

>Country
USA
>Carrier
Verizon unfortunately
>Features
Good battery and SD card slot
>Budget
I got 1K to spare but i'm looking for quality
I got a LG G5 which is pretty nice but the battery is fucking god awful

Yep. My htc one m9 has been great for the last 2 and a half years but I really want something new just so it's bigger and snappier and has an even more vivid siplay with higher resolution.

Yeah, just flash the UK firmware.

Advice Request:
I'm deciding between the new red Oneplus 6 for about 600 usd and the pixel 2 XL for about 650-720 usd on ebay
>Location
Southern USA
>Carrier
Unlocked, but compatible with shitty ATT

My current POS phone is a galaxy s6 that has to charge 2-5 times a day, gets really fucking hot, super slow/freezes, and has the front glass delaminating

The main point's iv got it to are (Not really matched/ordered)
Pixel 2 XL vs Oneplus 6

+Better Camera vs Worse Camera (not bad by any means however)
-Worse display vs +Better display (Quality and notch implementation)
+Better materials (metal) vs slipper glass (Will add skin)
+Better louder stereo speaker vs -shitty not as loud mono
+More/sooner updates vs Not as good software support
--Only 4 gigs of ram vs ++8 gigs of ram (Current phone has 3 and it is way to little for my use)
Squeeze vs notification slider (just a difference, both are good)

They both seem really good, but the only thing I'm unsure of is root-ability if anybody has info on that

Not him but I'm also looking for a phone in that price range. Excluding the Xiaomemes, which ones are considered the best?

Know the feel

Attached: nokia_n900_nappaimisto_auki.jpg (470x350, 25K)

am I more likely to get laid with a iPhone x
Sometimes I wish I was just a normie with a iphone

Prefer iOS or Android (stock or skinned Android)? Most important feature (performance, battery life, camera etc.)? Large or a small size? Notch or no notch. Planning to root or flash custom ROMs?

Need some phone recommendations for an android phone of around 200,-, i prefer it to be around 150.

It is for my mother so easy to use, enough space and okay camera.

Saw the moto g5s, is this still a good phone or have better ones come out? How is the nokia 5 or 6?

Also no huawei pls, she had one of them for about 1,5 years and already the battery is dying.

Living in europe. Thanks.

you ever try one of those laser keyboards always thought that was cool

Is there any decent android podcast apps? I'm using Podcast Addict but it takes like 10+ seconds to load a podcast when youtube loads 1440p videos instantly.

Switched from that to google podcasts recently and don't see myself going back

>have Pixel on Verizon
>Going on two years, considering upgrade
>Keytwo, P20, and OP6 catch my eye
>None work on Verizon, all would be a downgrade in service
>Keytwo has a worse camera and no guarantee of being able to use fixed apps with camera2 API
>P20 has no 4k video stabilization and is a bitch to use in the US
>Pixel 2 is uglier than pixel 1 and not enough of an upgrade
All i want is an 18+:9 ratio screen, no lag SOC, and better camera than pixel that works on Verizon. Oh yeah and no samshit.

>Prefer iOS or Android (stock or skinned Android)?
Stock Android
>Most important feature (performance, battery life, camera etc.)?
All of those are important, and a good display, so I guess something good all around.
>Large or a small size?
Large, I guess. Something that can be used one handed can also be an option. I'm 50/50 on this one.
>Notch or no notch.
No notch.
>Planning to root or flash custom ROMs?
Never did but I wouldn't mind being able to root.

The Play Music app or is there a standalone podcast app?

Nokia 9500

A true classic. Haven't charged it for 3 days

Attached: 20170627_010443.jpg (3264x1836, 2.16M)

Just wait for pixlel 3

Standalone

Hey out looking for a new telephonic communication device
I was checking out Xiaomi and Oneplus stuff but i dont think they work on the same band as verizon
Looking for something with a good camera (better than pixel 1 at least), 4k display, front facing camera (prefer no skin/bloat)
I plan on using verizon as my carrier
Thanks

how the FUCK do you center align text with KWGT this is infuriating as fuck and google tells me nothing

Attached: Screenshot_20180710-212713.png (1440x2560, 116K)

I think im in the same boat as you then
Im

Pixel 3 i expect to be just as much of a blunder as the pixel 2. I think I'll just hold out for P30 or Mate 30 and hopefully tmobile will be less shit then, or the Sprint merger will have been completed.

>downgrade in service
There is no noticeable difference between Verizon and AT&T

I looked at the coverage maps myself. In upstate NY at&t is dogshit

Upstate NY is dogshit, that's why it's one of the top spots people are migrating FROM

Comfy as always

Almost 4 years old phone

Attached: wp_ss_20180710_0001.png (720x1280, 114K)

Is the redmi note 6 coming soon or should I just get note 5

Isn't tmobile known for having good plans? The Sprint merger will probably end that

LG v30 plus any good? Getting one for about 55% off

Disgusting

Probably the best for a postpaid service right now
What makes you think T-Mo will let Sprint execs call the shots?

So when are we getting a second one?

Attached: 51Je2z+fioL.jpg (426x500, 42K)

What's up, guys? Looking to upgrade my phone in a few months (currently using a Moto G5+), and I'm mainly interested in upgrading my camera. I know that the G5+ has a good sensor, but my pictures all turn out like shit.

So, budget of ~$350, what kind of phone would you guys recommend that would work on Sprint? Is this budget reasonable, or would I have to stretch farther to get a good camera?

>He doesn't know
Let them all leave, more of the best place on Earth for me.

I wonder about that merger
I wonder if they will end up having to stay two separate entities or if they'll get rolled into one giant entity
I also wonder if all the spectrum Sprint has, even though the only good spectrum they have is 800 and 850, will be picked up by new phones released after the merger
If that's the case Verizon and AT&T will be fucked because of Sprints MiMo tech added on to all those bands will mean insane throughput and speeds

post em

Attached: Screenshot_20180710-133947_Geekbench 4.jpg (1440x2960, 472K)

get good faggot

Attached: Screenshot_20180710-210253_Nova Launcher.jpg (1440x2960, 907K)

single
multi
HTC m9

I have a Cubot Note Plus for myself, chink phone but really not bad, got it last year and it has type c, 3 gigs of RAM, 32 gigs of memory, 16 megapixel cameras front and back, fingerprint scanner and android 7. 2800 mah battery, lasts about a day but its not that bad. Over all pretty worth it for the £100 i paid on it

Budget 350 CAD.
Dont want a screen bigger than 5".
Want as close to stock Android as possible so the phone won't feel laggy after a couple years. I won't root my phone. What should I buy? I don't play games or use any apps. But I do a lot of reading on my phone and want a browser thatll feel snappy with over 100 tabs. What should I buy.
Using nexus 5 now and it fits all the criteria but I just finally broke it.

>all left justified shit
wow amazing you sure showed me

Nokia 6.1 ?

Thanks user. I will look into this. At first glance it looks pretty nice but the only thing that has me held up is the 5.5 " screen. Do you know any other spg approves devices in this size?
Also is this Nokia 6.1 completely stock Android? Or does it have some kind of Nokia skin?

By that mentality you'll wait forever

It's a part of the Android One program just like the rest of HMD's Nokia branded phones, so yes it is as stock as they come: android.com/one/

As for /spg/ approved devices, they're all Samshit and chinkshit brands. The heavier the skin the better, apparently.

would you guys buy an lg v20 barely used or a brand new redmeme note 5 with warranty? bare in mind maybe i could bargain the price of the v20 lower than the xiaomis.

>USA
>t-mobile
>$200 - $300
>must have at least 3GB of RAM and 3,000 mAh battery
>don't really give a shit about the rest
thanks in advanced lads

Attached: c74c2bw6lmnz.png (1668x1045, 2.53M)