Post reasons you can't exclusively run Linux

Attached: rendering-with-autocad-logo-Feature_1290x688_KL-1-1026x500.jpg (1026x500, 72K)

I have a job

making shitty pointless threads like this one is possible with any operating system

Attached: 188828-nv_optimus_3d_original.jpg (3233x1413, 1.47M)

i want my things to just work without having to google + cli everything

gaymen
> inb4 >>> /v/eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Attached: drivers.jpg (800x500, 190K)

School. A lot of GIS stuff is Windows only. And proprietary. And closed source.

But I don't have Windows installed on any of my machines, I remotely use our school computers for that.

this
pc is where you install linux

Not even unique to ubuntu, error popups more than macos/windows update popups. Wack.

Attached: ubuntu-apport.png (525x176, 24K)

GAYumz

Don't have enought time to learn the softwares that replaces proprietary ones, like Photoshop and Ableton, and I use both of them a lot.
I use a lot of external hardwares and sometimes is a pain to make them work properly while in Windows I just plug and use.
I really want to switch completely to Linux but it makes my life on the computer harder.

Attached: mao1.png (523x574, 96K)

I have way too many video game niche cases to ever ditch a Windows partition.

This is a prospective from a man who likes computers but it doesn't work in IT.
I'm using Windows 10 right now.
I tried to use Linux as my default OS until 2012, but with no luck.
Last time was in September 2017, I tried to switch Linux full time, first with Ubuntu Gnome, then with KDE Neon and at the end I've tried Manjaro Linux. Linux on desktop is an annoying experience to deal with because of all the driver problems. Free or Open Source softwares are great (I basically use >90% FOSS on Windows too) and I like the libre culture.
Windows is basically shit and has problem too, but c'mon, 25 years of Linux and we're still dealing with audio, graphics and missing GUI options? It seems linux users didn't understand already that people who works behind Linux (the kernel) gets money only to make it better for server or IoT usage. Even one of the Linux Foundation founders don't use Linux on desktop because of those problems. If you want to support Linux as desktop you have to support FSF, not Linux. Those are the good guys.

It's not totally Microsoft's fault if Linux is still half-backed. Even today where 80% of computer usage is browser based Linux is still not suitable with his quirks and strange stuff you have to deal with to make it at least usable.
I like Linux on desktop BTW, it has great DEs and tiling WMs, font rendering is good and ricing is very fun, bash has a good syntax compared to cmd or powershell (lol); but just try to do anything other than those activities, and you'll realize you need Windows.

But you can use Optimus on Linux.

Videogames, but that might change soon since Totalwar Warhammer 2 is coming to linux soon. Other than that I might need to use itunes to reset my iphone in the unlikely event it should malfunction. But I guess I could use the gf's laptop for that. She refuses to run linux sadly.

Attached: shyratto.png (1632x1224, 3.75M)

None, that's why I'm not using Wanglows or CrackOS

Post reasons you can't just walk everywhere instead of using a car?

cant think of one, been using linux exclusively since last spring

I don't have any, i use gnu/systemd/linux exclusively

Yeah either with bumblebee / primusrun which is slow and doesn't support Vulkan or with nvidia-xrun which requires you to log out and then bacj in to switch GPU.

Krita is NOT a replacement, the brush settings and user interface in general leave much to be desired.

Anyone who does any sort of work has a hard time of using Linux exclusively, all the Linuxfags on this board just watch anime and shitpost all day.

Attached: pts.png (420x120, 28K)

I work on Linux and I do real work not digital art.

>Post reasons you can't exclusively run Linux
Because I need GNU as well

Ricing out your desktop isn't "real work"

Artists get paid, you know. It's a real job.

>Not even unique to ubuntu
Yes, it is. I used Ubuntu before and it would crash a lot but ever since I switched to Arch everything's been running smooth.

Wrong. Android doesn't use GNU nor does Alpine Linux.

Fuck off, Baphomet. He said HE needed GNU, not Pajeetdroid or some obscure distro.

I use GNU/Linux as only OS at both work and home and make $90K a year. There is no reason to use Windows.

>Baphomet

notepad++
displayfusion
autohotkey
.net
itunes
process hacker
not needing to do workarounds for games and programs that don't support linux

>notepad++
>itunes
You deserve having to use Windows.

I don't see what is wrong with notepad++ but deserves to get fucked by his botnet for iTunes.

12.04! No fucking wonder, update nigger.

I'm a shitter who likes to play video and not ready to take the full dive into Linux. I am taking baby steps, however. Just overwhelmed at the moment with all of the information regarding Linux. I prefer out of the box it just works kind of shit as a consumer; but as an enthusiast I understand how powerful the "machine" behind the machine is and how it's in my best interest as an aspiring IT drone to learn Linux as well as the utilities it takes advantage of. Again, it really is just a lot of information.

transparent.png

OSX has autocad support wouldn't have some one ported that to Linux yet or did autodesk stop supporting OSX autocad?

no one even uses autocad any more its all revit or special programs or they literally draw stuff up in google sketchup drafting programs are not exactly complicated.

PHP developer here. Linux is probably the best choice for any web development due to the ease of installing packages and the prevelance of Linux on servers. Still dual boot at home though, but I could stay on Ubuntu for weeks without really missing anything aside from Photoshop.

>likes to play video
video games*

Uh, sorry, but what do you even mean? You're willing to praise GNU/Linux, but your complaints are vague. What are these problems you were having? Not to say they don't exist, I'm just curious.

>Artists get paid, you know
Sure they do

>seemingly unfixable screentearing on a laptop with nvidia optimus
>nogaems on desktop

I have an rx550 and sometimes sound from that wont work at all.
Amdgpu dc driver is still shit.

vydia gay mes*

>Artists get paid, you know.
this is how I know you actually don't have a job

Every time I've tried to switch to Linux I've ended up horribly breaking something trying to get all the drivers set up and every time I've gone searching for help I've been called a dumbass for not being able to comprehend complicated config files and bash commands.

Also this.

solid edge
the whole erp
proper office (libreoffice, openoffice, freeoffice, etc are literally unusable for anything more complex than a shopping list)
work time keeping server and client
accounting software
tax software
cnc machine communicating server
signage server
Teaching 50 people aged 30-50 using linux

There is no single person on earth who hates microsoft more than I do, but this corporate world completely runs on windows and there's nothing you can do about it. Wine doesn't run half of these shits, and there are too much compromise when looking for apps that run on linux.

geany
handled by your wm and other programs
plenty of scripting capabilities and keybind customization
not sure about .net
I think there are programs for iOS interaction, and of course dozens of music players
what is process hacker?
the lack of support is due to them being non-free. I suggest avoiding non-free software when possible.

Games.
Literally all of my linux wizard friends dual boot windows to have a usable PC.

Is this bait or just straight out of r*ddit

Join an IRC channel so you can ask questions. Also the man command is helpful, just try not to get overwhelmed. You can search man pages with the / key, and the apropos command can tell you which man pages have info on a keyword.

First thing is pretty true. Nvidia isn't very friendly with their support. I recommend just using intel graphics, or amd if you really need it...

Don't you have a screenfetch/desktop thread to be posting in?

The only thing I don't do that you suggested is joining IRC channels. I'd really rather not.

I absolutely could but Windows 7 is just so damn /comfy/

my fucking printer doesn't work on Linux

My MLP folder.

Drivers for what? Hardware support is primarily automatic and part of the kernel. Exceptions are GPU driverd and some non-free stuff for wifi depending on the brand.

No native ZFS.

btrfs, though

I've exclusively run linux for more than 10 years

So you've not used either?

There's no reason to use anything besides fat32.

Multisim & ultiboard
Riverbed (if some user has a better software recommendation I would be grateful)
Keil uvision
Hardware drivers. Windows objectively have better but closed source drivers.
Windows just werks, ease of usage.
Gaymes although I stopped wasting my time by playing games.

What kind of nigger hardware do you people run?

The last time I had hardware that wasn't supported on a fresh install was 2014. Even then, the driver was easily available and installed with 10 minutes of research.

It is not that fucking hard to consider linux compatibility when you buy your computers. If you've been "trying" to move to linux for years, you should know this.

You can ignore basically all of it if you want. Install what programs you need and don't bother configuring everything.

I set up linux mint for my parents three years ago and they have had no complaints.

Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
Only reason I'm still on Windows.

4 GB file size limit

None. I'm using Linux exclusively. For work, I have dedicated osx and windows laptops, provided by my employer.

What fucking hardware is giving you trouble for christ sake? I just installed manjaro on a 8yo laptop yesterday and shit went fine.

dismal battery life compared to windows

that's literally the only reason, i have a console for video games and i like linux a lot more than windows

photoshop
pixelmator
final cut pro
after effects
cinema 4d
non shit gui
non shit file manager

>no one even uses autocad
Use it every day. Revit sucks for electrical design. Architects like it because it means they don't have to think about anything, but it sure isn't making their buildings any prettier. Revit does help in dealing with obvious conflicts, i.e. HVAC ducts, but not that long ago Revit used to fix conflicts by DELETING FUCKING EVERYTHING with no way to undo.

But I'm kind of a curmudgeon. Autocad reached its pinnacle with version 12 and has kind of gone nowhere interesting since. Also, the Lisp interpreter is awesome.

oh look, its this thread again
>legacy bullshit from my youth that Im too lazy to convert over to linux + dont even remember how to really code anymore.
>windows 7 just werks while linux would disconnect my vpn randomly within ever hour and force me to torrent with my real ip making linux a literal liability, meanwhile windows in a vm running on the same linux install will maintain the connection just fine
other miscellaneous shit that other people are too lazy to support for linux and refused to release the code so that other people can convert it over.

Easy.

Attached: Wmp.png (256x256, 36K)

I'm a brainlet

A job doing what?

I do all aspects of my job easier and faster than I did on MacOS or Windows.

t. web developer.

Official linux slogan: "don't need it."

how much functionality will hipsters give up to be different?

Portable\s.*

>Artists get paid

Attached: 1518491020573.jpg (290x290, 46K)

Name 1 thing that you can't do in the bash shell on mac that you can't do in Linux?

Being willing to use different software is not giving up functionality.

Best reason: I don't give one fuck about switching from Windows that I've used my entire life.

Attached: Tracer_Salute.jpg (330x243, 32K)

>Linux can't do things Windows can
>Windows can do anything Linux can and do more
Wow, dude, you people really love making terrible decisions just to be different.

For me it's:
- Adobe Software
- Cubase (even if I gave Cubase up I would still need 3rd party VSTs which arent available on Linux)

But that's it for me. For example I definitely don't think that Office would stop me from switching completely. I never used word for anything except for small letters. I wrote my thesis with Tex which I could have done on Linux.

The Fallout games. But I'm running those on a different machine from my main computer, which exclusively runs Linux.

Some categories I'm seeing here or have seen before:
>professional hardware design software (CNC/CAD/physics sims)
>professional creative software (DAW/painting/photoshop/video editing)
>vidya
Those categories ARE underserved on Linux. There's some excellent software that partially covers some categories. For example, Blender's video editing features are a small portion of what it can do, and it's a great editor, but it's not as good as something like FCPX. There's a few DAWs out there for Linux that are genuinely good, but Linux's audio stack is pretty bad for professional music production. The professional hardware design side is almost completely unserved.
If we want industrywide support for Linux, these areas HAVE to be developed to a point where it's hard for anyone to suggest the proprietary alternatives for usability and power. Blender is an excellent example of this.
The other two categories I see people complaining about is stuff like Process Hacker (bloated GUI around the Windows equivalents of basic programs like lsof and top), and Office Suites. The first are bullshit, and deserve no development effort, as there's already so many excellent core GNU/UNIX tools for it. The reason those tools are useful is a consequence of Windows as an environment, not because of a user's needs.
The office suite area is also very well served under Linux, just in different ways. LaTeX, like it or not, is a catch-all, superior-in-every-way superset of Word. There are a huge number of amazing LaTeX WYSIWYG editors, its source is universal UTF-8, and a few sane default tweaks to templates/editors (full UTF-8 support, arbitrary font selection) would make it a perfect normie-tier replacement. Excel is a crazy powerful piece of software, and I'm sure that there are things it can do that aren't implemented in LibreOffice Calc, but for the vast majority of use cases, Calc and mathematics libraries in any given language cover it.

He's probably bitching about a laptop,which can be tricky getting touchpads and backlighting to work. If he's talking about an actual desktop computer, I 100% agree with your statement. It really doesn't get much easier.

inspect and modify the source code to the UI layer of the OS

It is when your software barely works or not at all.

Idiot.

Hipsters originally used apple products but I guess the poor hipsters who are too hipster even for apple have to use obscure barely working operating systems like linux.

Just look at every linux user.. weekly distro hopping, can't decide on one because none of them work right, constantly baby sitting their crappy os.. random inexplicable breakage it honestly feels worse than windows ME

If you are a working adult with a life you'll use a working adult's OS that is MacOS or Windows.

>There's a few DAWs out there for Linux that are genuinely good, but Linux's audio stack is pretty bad for professional music production.
DAWs are not even the real problem, the problem is not being able to use third party plugins which is absolutely necessary, especially since you can't use Cubase or Logic.
>The office suite area is also very well served under Linux, just in different ways. LaTeX, like it or not, is a catch-all, superior-in-every-way superset of Word. There are a huge number of amazing LaTeX WYSIWYG editors, its source is universal UTF-8, and a few sane default tweaks to templates/editors (full UTF-8 support, arbitrary font selection) would make it a perfect normie-tier replacement. Excel is a crazy powerful piece of software, and I'm sure that there are things it can do that aren't implemented in LibreOffice Calc, but for the vast majority of use cases, Calc and mathematics libraries in any given language cover it.
I agree.

As for vidya, this is a HUGE reason most people don't switch. There's some great ways to make this work, like running Looking Glass + VFIO to have transparent and full-speed Windows games run as windows inside a Linux DE. Those ways are either hard to set up and require special hardware (VFIO + Looking Glass), or are buggy and unreliable (WINE, even though it's a wonder of software engineering, isn't ready for most people's needs). What we need there is, unfortunately, 3rd party developer support. Yes, older games could definitely work using WINE-style wrapping, but new releases are only somewhat working, and are working on a per-game basis rather than full support. If WINE were better, and DX8-12 could be perfectly emulated with sub-ms additions to latency, then we'd have a fighting chance. But for now, that situation in particular is rather hopeless for general users. The best option has been for years, and probably always will be, specialized hardware + VFIO.

>if you can't baby sit a broken piece of shit os constantly and deal with its random inexplicable breakage that one other person has experienced in the last 10 years you are a brainlet
>linux users literally cannot face how shit their os is and will go to any lengths to blame their users

my life

I use linux at work

Most speedrunning related software doesn't work with wine

Attached: IMG_1884.png (286x519, 46K)

It is unique to ubuntu. Kubuntu/Xubuntu etc are also ubuntu, and those are probably the only things you've tried

>windows
>macos
>"for adults"
>impying these aren't dumbed down babby OSes made for computer illiterate retards

>console for video games
>being on Jow Forums
choose one, you are going to get hardcore shit on by everyone here

>a web developer knows any kind of C
The only source code that is important is the one you write freetard.