What default DE should I choose for a Debian? Gnome and kde is a meme, lxde fast after but ugly...

What default DE should I choose for a Debian? Gnome and kde is a meme, lxde fast after but ugly. Is there any downside for xfce and mate?

Attached: images.png (195x258, 5K)

>using a DE
topkek

GNOME it's the defacto standard now for DE's.

xfce is amazing. Only thing you may have to do is install compton to fix screen tearing, everything else just werks, while being super customizable and extremely light weight. Highly reccomend. Mate is apparently alright but I've had bad experinaces getting it to work on my laptop (though I have a feeling that was due to the iso I was using rather than the DE itself). Use it if you like old GNOME, really. lxde only really exists for people on old machines who for whatever reason can't just use a WM instead.

>xfce is amazing
their file manager is shit

>lxde fast after but ugly
if you want a "pretty" OS, debian is probably not for you.

>their file manager is shit
Actually ok I agree with this somewhat but
>not managing your files from the terminal
Come on, user.

Thunar is shit, but it's not like you can't install Dolphin once you get to the terminal after install.

Gnome is bloated, slow, and Nautilus is dog shit

>Gnome is bloated, slow,
So is Linux so what's your point?

Still, just about every distro has a GNOME port. It's the standard, despite being bloated and having a shitty tablet UI.

KDE is pretty good and Mate is god tier. I’ve used Mate on several low-end PCs and it runs great. KDE is good too, but it’s more bloated than Mate.

>used on 100% of top 100 supercomputers on the planet
Yes, user, the Linux kernel is slow.
Go download a WM and get back to us.

>i think they use an unmodified Linux kernel in supercomputing.
They do it because it's cheap. Solaris ran better supercomputers. Linux is just a bloated clone of solaris

Gnome uses more resources than other DEs I’ve used. I installed Debian on a desktop with Mate and it lagged hard. When I replaced it with Mate, that was no longer the case

i3

I still would rather not have a bloated DE with a shitty file manager. Gnome turned to shit after 3 launched.

mate is a fork of gnome with less functionality.
Mate is gnome from 2003.

use GNOME without advanced search, so hard wow

> using a graphical file manager

I’m aware that Mate is a Gnome 2 fork. It’s my primary DE. Gnome used to be good but the devs started fucking up after 3 launched
>mate is gnome from 2003
There are themes and Mate tweak to make it look more modern

>not using a graphical file manager

Attached: 4C736ADD-A4B9-4C13-BBCF-06B5B098845D.jpg (388x602, 34K)

Is this a standard MATE thing?

Attached: hash.png (934x557, 56K)

Yes

>Linux is just a bloated clone of solaris

Attached: magic.png (558x508, 211K)

>Needing a gui so you can right click that gzipped archive

Attached: 1515953102230.jpg (318x314, 15K)

If you're a linux user then you just need something that will allow you to use 3 xterms wide. Otherwise you're just trying to replicate MS Windows (poorly).
You should probably just use windows.
Use the technology that best suits you, don't follow the Jow Forumstards talking about software freedumbs.

I started on the terminal. Having a GUI makes things easier

For some things, sure.
For file browsing though? Not for me.

Cinnamon is pretty comfy. Great extensions for window management too. Not as light as xfce but much more pleasing to use for me.

I still don't get why file management is so much better on terminal. It literally takes twice as long to copy and move files selectively among other stuff. I get the arguments for batch file deletions and extension conversion, but those are about the only good things when it comes to using the terminal for file management

You get really, really good and fast at it when you've been using it for years. Much like a GUI.

tried installing debian twice
installer broke both times
back to Linux mint

Attached: Capture+_2018-07-10-08-36-03.png (1440x2417, 1.23M)

Understandable

I've had occasional run ins with XFCE but that's because I'm a superuser autist, otherwise I've found it to work pretty well and is less bloated than the dreaded foot.

Ive used xfce too. It's ok, but I still prefer Mate. It's a less-bloated version of the dreaded foot

then one day you make a typo and your filesystem is gone

Exactly why I prefer GUI as well

>Mate is gnome from 2003.
That's not a bad thing

How does this even make sense?
You could do the exact same thing.
This is exactly why rm -rf / requires
--no-preserve-root

What about SCP? What about network shares? What if you mount a network share and need to do something with a file or directory in that share?
What about permissions?
10x faster from the cli.

People who use GUI's as their primary way to navigate the filesystem are Linux Lite users.
But let's go ahead and pretend gnome-open is adequate.

There's another problem with rm and that's when you use it on the wrong directory by accident. You're basically FUCKED if you have no backups. I did that once accidentally via a bash script. Luckily I had backups, but I lost about a full day's worth of work because of it.

Yeah, this is true lol. I've done the exact same thing a few times.

I believe rm has "safety nets" that can be deployed, but it's too much trouble, so I usually don't use them. It's better to be safe, than sorry though. Always ensure which directory you're in and the potential ramifications when using rm

>lxde fast after but ugly
how can it be ugly? it uses the gtk theme

Attached: 1497773773122s.jpg (224x250, 8K)

i3wm

I wouldn't bother using a typical DE unless you just really want the Windows look and feel with taskbars and all that. I just use OpenBox, no DE. Hell, even on Windows I replace Explorer with BlackBox.

This.

Cinnamon. I like the clean look it has.

You "broke" the installer? lol fucking how?

just run windowmaker live and call it a day

>plebian

> xfce

tearing

Is it possible to configure a window manager to automatically figure out new screens?
Having to alter the config each time would be a mess. I want a system where I can dock my laptop and have it just werk.

Attached: 1386684589.gif (500x380, 344K)