There is no reason to use Linux exclusively anymore

There is no reason to use Linux exclusively anymore

Attached: greater than using powershell.png (859x401, 15K)

Are you somehow implying that using bash and a subset of the linux userland is what makes using linux worthwile?

But windows stinks.

There is no reason to use Linux in the first place...

half of the coreutils don't even work lol

It is a full linux kernal that runs under Windows. I can even have X windows after installing xming.

>can't run GUI applications

Yeah, but I can have that under Linux, too...

Try and build something from source on WSL.

But you also have poor hardware compatibility and no support
>implying

Attached: implying.png (1920x1080, 176K)

lol name one GUI-only application you run on Linux every day

Quite the opposite. For me there's literally no point to use Windows.

Here's a reason
>using / for folder structure like god intended

a webbrowser

The compatibility layer is still missing many syscalls

Attached: 1530744200135.jpg (669x500, 77K)

>implying
But you also have tons of malware, build-in botnets and an update system that takes ages to update basic stuff
Whereas I have the same hardware compatibility (by not buying retarded hardware) and support (none, just like with Windows)

>Windows

Attached: 1521259552314.jpg (690x460, 62K)

you can run GUI, but you can't really run anything significant.
Also if you want to develop something close to bare-metal (CUDA for example), you can't.

looks fine to me
checks out

Attached: a webbrowser.png (1920x1080, 149K)

>poor hardware compatibility
GNU/Linux has more hardware compatibility than W10 and W7, because of directX hardware requirements.

Call me when you can use KDE and Dolphin with composition and replace just the whole fucking Windows thing. I wouldn't mind running Windows 10 in the background for compatibility if it was just... running in the background. The UI is terrible.

i agree

>But you also have poor hardware compatibility and no support
I've had much more hardware related issues with Windows for the last 5 years.

just this. windows doesnt become less cancer just because you can run linux in a vm on it

I wouldn't mind windows if it wasn't for all the mandatory updates all this other crap that comes with it

It's not a VM so yeah you have no idea what you're talking about sorry

You don't know how to turn them off?

t. running update free for half a year now

whats the difference to it being a vm precisely?
I know it's not a vm, and wine is not an emulator.

it's still running inside cancerous microshit botnet products.

You can have X on windows without linux, using Cygwin/X. Linux is not really about bash or X or anything these days, it's a way to get away from corporate spying and to become more free than a regular sheeple, showing them that life without a microdick up your ass is possible, free and not complicated at all.

It's worse than VM. VM emulates the machine and gives Linux total control over whatever resources are allocated to it. What windows did, they have total control on what features of kernel are active, and how slow the whole thing runs. Right now it doesn't have cached I/O, for example, so anything you do on linux subsystem is retardedly slow, barely usable in many cases even. That way, more people can go "wow linux sucks, I should learn powershell instead of shell".

>using windows
>having a large attack surface
No thanks user

Can you fork yet?

>there's no reason to escape one botnet, because said botnet has bash

getting rid of the microsoft botnet is the main feature of linux

not having to use windows is a pretty great reaso by itself.

> using windows's built-in terminal

Attached: xterm_2018-07-10_20-18-00.png (740x386, 19K)

I use an electron based terminal for giggles.

Attached: are you a boy or a girl.png (960x620, 23K)

>not using the far superior ConEmu

Attached: ConEmu.png (812x560, 40K)

You say that but overwhelming majority of people who use Linux will slather on the botnet, whether it's from data mining companies like Discord who offer their service for free, music subscription services that have to ensure you're paying, alternative office suite options with the same amount of telemetry, or even opting for google services everywhere.
The days of Linux being used almost exclusively to get away from the botnet is a thing of the past.

>keeping the tab bar enabled
user!

So? They still don't use windows and stick it to the man. You can't escape the tracking, if you think about it, you're under CCTVs all the time. But you should disagree with that. And support the opposing force in any minor way you can.

Only the mindless care about something like this.
Virtual machines exist for a reason.

>thinking your toys are anything close to the real thing
ok, it can barely run anything substantial, much less what i use linux for
besides...I know what i want, i want complete and utter control over my system, i've optimized my workflow to the smallest of details, why would i ever hinder myself with windows, whatever proprietary crapware i'm required to use runs in a gpu-passthrough VM
your attempts as well as microsoft's are beyond pathetic, thinking this impresses anybody but tech journalists who've never really properly used a computer in their lives

Attached: file.png (225x225, 71K)

>i've optimized my workflow to the smallest of details
What are you working on?

>syscall translation is slower than a crippled downie
No thanks. I don't want your Pajeet spyware with a gimped version of Bash.

Any way to run this on LTSB? When I tried it said that ots not compatoble with this release of Windows

back to the ricing thread you go sweetie let the adults talk now

I might do that once I bought that 128GB RAM secondhand workstation.

I know this particular thread is bait but why do some people actually use this?

I'm using linux exclusively but I'm definitely not doing it for its 'nice convenient user interface'. People who use linux do it because they like having full control over their system and to escape the invasive botnet that windows unfortunately has become. Having a windows 10 system with a linux environment on top of it is literally the worst setup I can imagine.

It'll only use 100GB RAM but feel buttery smooth, do it!

We have a lot of build automation and helper scripts written in shell, but we also support windows. Instead of rewriting them to batch/python/whatever or installing cygwin or whatever, we can now run everything semi-natively.

I can't... I need my video games user. Linux isn't enough.

t. owned by russains

>linux userland
Literally GNU

Attached: root mean square man pointing.jpg (600x450, 45K)

>kernal
You have nothing to add to this conversation. Please leave and drink bleach.

What? That anemic,weak,shit? It's garbage. Run Linux in a VM if you're going to bother with Windows.

they cant be turned off retard, it just ignores your settings in every imaginable place

i installed pro N in 2015 on my personal laptop at the time and i havent gotten any of the major releases since then, will post exact version tomorrow evening(eu) if thread is still alive
for the last 6 months the only thing keeping it from updating is me deliberately not leaving enough free disk space

I've done group policies, disabled services, everything, it makes literally no differance

I'm dreaded by the thought i might have to actually use thatachine next month

b-but i like it.
see no reason to go back even with that.

>
> this much effort to disable updates
> needing to expose yourself to vulnerabilities just to use your computer
> being scared of your OS vendor throwing fuckups at every corner
Why do you prolong this suffering?

Attached: binbows.jpg (500x364, 55K)

I have a lot of programs for uni on it and i'll just wipe the whole thinf when im done

also as i impied, i've barely used it once i got my work machine and put fedora on it

>SQL Server not supported
>Cannot update versions because everything breaks

Dropped.

>Calvin Harris

It's a good ass song and if you disagree you're wrong

>kernal

it's spelled "carnal", ese

eyy es mi carnal from el barrio!

true. it's a bit old but it just werks

Attached: 2018-07-02_12-12-55.png (1680x1050, 1.06M)

>implying anyone autistic enough to use the 2% os would not be aware of botnet shit to avoid
>projecting your own insecurities this hard

so you like all the shit linux does wrong

stockholm syndrome OS lookin ass nigga

>implying there was ever any

>autism

sudo?
checkmate

microsoft is blatantly lying once again

>vidya
>adult

Reminder you could do all this shit before with cygwin.

>Linux screenshot has a bunch of random images open
normal
>Windows screenshots has a bunch of random images open
retarded

I actually use it on a daily basis at work since I have to use windows due to some proprietary software, WSL is actually pretty good for most stuff.
But man, let me tell you, windows is so fucking slow that it drives me mad sometimes. Opening anything can take almost a second or two.
I still use Linux exclusively at home because I feel more comfortable with it, but you surely don't need to use it exclusively if you need/prefer windows for some reason and can deal with WSL bugs/limitations.

>memetext
sweetie, shut the fuck up and let the adults talk

i used cygwin for a number of years and always felt it was a hacky piece of shit. WSL isn't perfect but i had far less trouble using it than cygwin.

just because you don't have the willpower to avoid discord it doesn't mean every linux user is as weak-minded as you are

playing vidya gaem is not adult, adult

Windows users are so bizarre. I'm over here using my GNU/Linux distro that just works

sudo?
checkmate

does WSL not have sudo or something? honest question, because I haven't used Windows for years

what

it does, and by default AFAIR, i don't use it anymore

I recently started a new job in a Windows shop, after having used Linux exclusively for the past 15 years or so.

Because of $$$.

And Windows is so shitty.

Having this Linux compatability layer is like "taking the good with the bad", whereas if it was just Linux you could just "take the good".

There is no reason to use windows 10

Can't you get them to let you use a GNU/Linux workstation?

right-click run as administrator is not sudo dingus

EEE.

"Administrators" don't even have full control in Windows, only the SYSTEM account does. hilarious that even if it's your hardware, if you run Windows on it then you don't have full control

>There is no reason to use Linux exclusively anymore
Never was.

have you even used wsl

Attached: sudo.png (980x505, 51K)

I suppose I could, but ultimately I'm working on a product that is targets Windows only.

I mean, it makes sense that this place is so entrenched in the MS ecosystem. I don't care for it, but like I said, $$$.

I'll probably hate my life in three months or so.

Can't you get them to make it cross-platform?

>export DISPLAY:=0

linux sure is simple

Similar to how only the root account has full control on Linux. If you want full control on your "administrator" account you can take ownership over the files you want to change.

you can become root on linux trivially. you can't become SYSTEM on windows trivially

Being able to do it trivially doesn't mean it's a very good idea to fully become root. You perform actions as root through sudo instead of leaving your system files open to be edited by your regular account.
Moreover, it generally isn't necessary to modify system files on Windows because everything is configured through group policies and the registry, which you can do on an administrator account. But if you really need to take full control over system files, you can.

Retard

Attached: satanialaugh.webm (854x480, 852K)