Your excuse for not being on OpenBSD?

I'm waiting

Attached: openbsd.png (489x400, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/monsieurvideo/get-flash-videos
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
streamlink.github.io/
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a job

I want browser with Flash :^)

I'm on it.

does it have compatibility with Linux programs?

Waiting for that "BSD is a meme" copypaster. Any moment now.

Nope, you need to install linux subsystem and maybe can install some linux software.

does it at least have a good amount of packages?

>Linux subsystem
Where is this magical thing? OpenBSD dropped Linux compatibility a while ago because Theo did not have faith in the maintainers to keep it secure.
t. OpenBSD user

Google it and you'll find the OpenBSD mirror with the package list.

They removed the Linux subsystem

FreeBSD has compatibility with Linux 2.6.16. Not sure if netbsd's linux compat is older or more recent versions.

>Your excuse
Why don't you tell me why I should use it all first?

github.com/monsieurvideo/get-flash-videos
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
streamlink.github.io/

Come home Linux man...

Attached: 587356.png (845x620, 98K)

I'm not talking about video

Need TRIM and APM / energy efficiency.

this

Not obscure enough :^)

Attached: NetBSD.png (1200x938, 71K)

It's very impressive that that copypasta poster didn't show up yet.

need excel and matlab for school and the only computer I have is a laptop

open to suggestions doe

Dual booting can be very practical if you can set it up.

can't hyperthread

>matlab
I'm pretty sure this supports Linux natively
>excel
Do you actually need Excel or just spreadsheet software?

OpenBSD is a meme

>trim bla bla bla
>multithread bla bla bla
>bla bla bla bla

Attached: openbsd.png (599x198, 16K)

doesn't support my hardware

kernel bugs

He is getting tired.

shit nvidia drivers
awesome system otherwise, i use it in one of my servers

I'm still here. Currently rewriting the pastas to combine them together, clarify things, add some new points, etc.

autism has gone too far

incoming fake news

you have no idea

>Do you actually need Excel or just spreadsheet software?
Do you actually need toilet paper or just wood?

It's all children's toy compared to an actual database.

I don't want to take the required diversity training

Triple monitors support wasn't working last I tried. I keep trying occasionally though.

Cuck license

i dont like puffy fish

Shit performance compared to linux
Yes the drivers were all working

quick everyone say positive things while the memer is distracted! i'll start:
unveil(2) is gonna be dank.

>Linux Programs
Do you not know how to compile """Linux"""" programs from source?

I am though...

It's not even gonna be in this thread. You'll have to wait.

tmux is awesome and on base.
Documentation is top notch, never had to Google a thing (only third party software, but it's rare).

XD

Attached: lel.png (653x361, 43K)

No, it doesn't.
Only programs that BSD maintainers have submitted patches to and eventually fork so they don't have to maintain compatibility.

Drawback is you stop getting updates and they start removing features.

When will unveil(2) be released?

my single board computer (or whatever they call them) I want to use a router stopped posting after I installed openBSD. It's an unrelated issue that has kept me from using it more. It was working with FreeBSD, which is strange, but whatever. I'll get to it later.

Nvidia.

>BE/4wes0mE
ar u southafrican racist?

Question. Why is unveil being made and how is it different from pledge?

The installer is literally "hit enter to win" on everything from Thinkpads to Sun workstations.
W^X is neato.
bioctl working with hardware RAID beats the shit out of vendor blob tools on Linux and Windows.
It makes fantastic mail and DNS servers, as well as routing/firewall appliances.

I don't need it, Linux is enough for me.
I wish OpenSolaris was still a thing though. I liked OpenSolaris.

I need my DAW stuff, so I use Windows.
I make money working with Openshift, which also means Kubernetes and Docker. For this I use Linux (specifically CentOS)
My machine has a Geforce GT 710 in it and I'd like to have full use of it, so Linux and Windows it is.

That's not to say I've never used OpenBSD. I has an OpenBSD machine a coupla years ago and posted screenshots in various desktop threads. And I have a machine sitting next to me that I plan on using with OpenBSD but I really need to find a video card that's fully supported in order to make the most out of it.

I'm not comfortable using software with a license designed to take the hard work of talented independent and public servant developers and serving it freely to a jewish owned company that profits off ridiculously expensive hardware and barely functional software.

Quit spreading misinfo, plenty of shit compiles without any patches.

Dragonfly is better. Also Berkeley is for _________ .

What a joke

excel, regressions are not as good on localc

because i actually need programs. might be a good choice if i ever want to make a server though

Illumos is still around.

>using a spreadsheet for regression analysis instead of R or Numpy/scipy

>I wish OpenSolaris was still a thing
it's called OpenIndiana now.

FreeBSD has more drivers.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-07-02 14-31-41.png (1280x1024, 663K)

>CuckBSD

I like virtual hugs

no proper support for the Visualize FX graphics accelerators on the hppa port

Can’t do anything of substance without the Linux compatibility layer, making it a needlessly complex way to arrive at the same toolchain as Linux.

For one, the file system I/O is too slow, leading to major performance drops relative to, say, Linux which are not related to the security benefits of OpenBSD. Also, I have some binary-only software which only works on Linux, or sometimes only on Windows (but usable with Wine). I would have to set up a Linux virtualization environment for this, and I'm not sure how mature OpenBSD's efforts are in this regard.

Thinkpad x201
obsd -> everything works
freebsd -> can't suspend/resume many acpi buttons will not function.

Winner OpenBSD.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

>People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
People should document their innovations so that others understand how to implement them, what is allowed and what is not allowed. Otherwise, you're forced to emulate a specific implementation, and that can be sub-par in many ways. OpenBSD has their own libc extensions anyway, so this argument is silly.

FreeBSD is objectively the right choice for average users, wheras OpenBSD is the right choice for highly-confidential servers and security freaks.

Jow Forums's only gripe against FreeBSD is the CoC. already they've been complaining about *hugs*

doesn't change the fact that it's a superior OS

There it is. I was getting worried about you.

>FreeBSD is objectively the right choice for average users
not on a laptop.

Want another issue? I cannot get graphics acceleration on freebsd for my laptop because they are extremely sorry at updating their Intel graphics drivers.

>superior OS
isn't it just a linux wannabe?

What is the point of ZFS?
I never see it in any datacenter as it's only supported by Sun admins. Aren't corporations getting ZFS functionality in other ways?

>obsd -> everything works
Even Bluetooth?

i agree that FreeBSD is WAY TOO SLOW with supporting new hardware.

if they only dedicated some time to this they might have a snowball's chance in hell against the avalanche of linux overrunning the market

freebsd needs to support common hardware much more quickly. it's foolish that they don't. they are only hurting themselves.

I have bluetooth turned off in the bios.
I forgot it existed.

im talking about all the bs file formats .rpm's, .debs,etc

Attached: 1531252212408.jpg (600x450, 45K)

This. Note that their CoC doesn't help.

the trusty anti-OBSD guy. finally!

should we copypasta the responses you've already gotten, so that you can copypasta your precanned responses?

well BSD is older than linux... it was the Berkeley University version of Unix that they got the license from Bell Labs for...

OTOH linux was linus's undergrad term paper project

BSD outdates linux by quite a bit; the only reason it didn't take over more quickly than linus's kernel was that it had legal issues. ATT/Bell filed suit against the BSD people because "muh unix"

>ATT/Bell filed suit against the BSD people because "muh unix"
Well, ATT didn't give a shit until BSDi started selling BSD Unix to people directly.

>BSD is older than linux
so is windows, doesn't mean it's better

The BSDs are supposedly dying
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html

No CUDA and no vydia. Into the trash it goes.

>no drivers
>slow as fuck filesystem
>no trim
>no games
the only reason to use this as a desktop OS is cp

pledge restricts what syscalls a process can make, but not what the arguments can be. So for example a lot of programs have a pledge that allows reading/writing of files, but it would would be nice to only allow certain files to be opened (say, the command line arguments, or the SSL cert database).

>CUDA
really? anyone who works on video cards is a nvidia shill. fuck off and die; let processors do processing and let video cards do video. nuff said

Dumb meme. Package maintainers sometimes have to patch stuff but 95% of the time stuff compiles natively.

>Only programs that BSD maintainers have submitted patches to and eventually fork
Complete bullshit. The only project I can think of that got forked that way was LibreSSL, which had a thoroughly incompetent upstream.

I seriously can't think of a single Linux program that I use that doesn't run natively on OpenBSD. No doubt there are some but either it's fairly trivial to port or you can run it in vmm if absolutely necessary.

If you need proprietary shit like Matlab or Adobe, that's another story. But the stuff Linux-on-the-desktop people actually use? Already there.

>CUDA
Proprietary Nvidia shit.
>vydia
You won't be playing AAA blockbusters but there are lots of emulators and several indie games (Stardew Valley, Owlboy, that sort of thing).

>Proprietary Nvidia shit.

that works and is available under Windows and Linux.

>You won't be playing AAA blockbusters

does that really matter? Lotta good games for Linux available via Steam.

-joke tier package manager
-joke tier hardware support
-joke tier init
-"I wish this was a joke" tier philosophy ("GPL is not free enough for our default install, these proprietary firmware blobs are totally fine BTW")

Needs TRIM. Also Linux is easier.

/thread