13 inch vs 15 inch laptops

Discuss.

Attached: retina-macbook-pro-13-review.jpg (1080x870, 149K)

15 manlet

17.3"

12.3inch handheld masterrace

12.5!

hurr

Attached: RE1yd9v.jpg (582x327, 33K)

give me a 17 inch laptop that weighs the same as a 12 inch laptop and I'll be very happy

12.1"

13 >15
I have a 15.6 inch laptop and I fucking hate it

Honestly I love the idea but there I haven't found any that aren't shitty or bulky. Recommendations welcome.

Why?

>Honestly I love the idea but there I haven't found any that aren't shitty or bulky.
hey I went and asked every laptop manufacturer about this for you and they all told me 'too expensive xD'
not sure what to make of that

>why
Too bulky, it's annoying to carry anywhere else. Next time I'll buy a 13 inch one. Also
>15.6 inch screen
>1366x768
I don't know why is this allowed

Have you ever looked at the XPS 15? I'm contemplating buying it as it's one of the smallest 15 inch laptops but I' concerned about the weight. At the same time I fear buying a 13 inch laptop as it I fear it not being enough for as I want to use the laptop as my single computer.

Attached: dell_xps_15_fhd_hero1.jpg (1600x1200, 408K)

How good is the battery? That's the thing I care the most on a laptop. The current one I'm using had around 12 hours when it was brand new and now it last 9-10. It's an Acer E5-511g

15 inch is perfect. 12/13 inch is too small to work on code; 17 inch is too big to take around with you

13" if you're a normal person who just needs to do light-duty computing tasks - web browsing, taking notes, word processing, backing up photos, etc. - on the go, especially if you either have a desktop at home or can hook up the laptop to an external monitor.

15" if you're a professional who needs to do serious work in the field - video editing, serious photo editing, light CAD, etc., but still needs to carry it daily.

17" if you're a professional who needs a very powerful system and needs to travel with it but will leave it in one place most of the time - i.e. you'll fly somewhere and set it up in a hotel room or temporary office for a few weeks.

15.6''

Size doesn't matter. You're using one fullscreen window at a time either way. You connect monitor(s) if you need more.

I also have a 15.6" (asus x555lj); the problem is it weights 2.3kg, I recently bought a 13" mbp and couldnt be happier its lightweight for everyday use.

13 is ideal if you have a remote lab environment or stash all your shit somewhere accessible.
15 is good since they usually come with decent graphics cards that can drive 2 4k monitors.
i always buy 13 for personal, request 15 for work.

13 inch. Laptops are supposed to be portable supplementary machines to your desktop and aside from the direct hit to portability from the size increase 15 inchers often include things like dedicated GPUs which are buggy and murder your battery and cook your laptop to an early death. Honorable mention to those that also decide to ruin their ergonomics by including a numpad.

13" HIDPI IPS display, 15w CPU, NVME M.2 SSD, 16GB LPDDR3, 60+Wh battery is the current kino of laptops.

14.1" master race reporting in

This. Literally the best size and aspect ratio.

13 is ideal for powerusers
15 is for noobs
/thread

Attached: 1531101571771.png (827x883, 724K)

13 15 17
>LAPLETS

LMAOING @URLIFES

Attached: hdx20.jpg (670x971, 127K)

Who thought that was a good idea?

you've never used a laptop before, have you?

the same people that scream ___LETS

14" screen in 13.3" frame master race

14” master race

>dedicated GPUs which are buggy and murder your battery
It's really not that hard to configure optimus correctly
>Set iGPU as global default
>Set individual applications to use dGPU as needed

15+ are nice if it's your only computer.
13 are fantastic for portability. significantly lighter

My impressions come from my friend with a gaymen laptop so maybe it's gotten better since then. I use linux so I don't even bother with laptops with dedicated GPUs.

I know people who ship desktops and monitors around the country for work, a 20" laptop might actually be a nice option for them.

>>Set iGPU as global default
>>Set individual applications to use dGPU as needed

>gaming at all on a laptop
>being a windows soya

Attached: unknown.png (1142x815, 1.3M)

15 if it’s going to be your only computer.
13 if you have a desktop or willing to plug in an external monitor.

21".

Attached: 81tqTwYL1qL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1017, 101K)

I sit in bed with my laptop and have Jow Forums and a YouTube video side by side.

How is that one window? You stupid fucking cunt.

Powerbook G4

>eye tracking on a 21" laptop

This 'tis epic.

As an owner of the 2017 XPS 15, stay far, far away from these heaping piles of shits. Two dead pixels within 3 months, customer support is absolutely garbage, and once the laptop gets at all hot it throttles itself to the point where even YouTube is lagging. To add to this, the WiFi card is Killer which is trash as well. Some people report issues with coil whine and bad SSDs.

is that with or without the two inches of bezel?

13" and 15" are referring to trackpad size.

lg gram

I was thinking of getting the 14" Asus UX430UA but the amazon reviews have not been very complementary. Very hard to decide on a good sub-€1000 laptop.

Is 13/14" a bad choice if I want to use my laptop for Netflix? Is 15.6" better?

I own a Pro 4 for 2.5 years, and I find the screen size a little too small tbqh with you senpai. I think a programmer needs a little more screen, and I will likely switch to a Surface Book 15" in the coming years.
I agree that the 3:2 aspect ratio is the king.

>I agree that the 3:2 aspect ratio is the king.

Not for media consumption though.

13/14" is definitely doable, 15.6" would be more comfy though.

13, 14 at most if borders are thin.
A laptop for me is supposed to be compact and portable. If I need real power, I can wait to use my desktop at home or ssh to servers at work. I pretty much never need that much power when outside anyway.
If you prefer big ass 17" portable workstations, great, but they are just not for me.

>the WiFi card is Killer
lol, that shit still exists?

A lot of people don't have desktops as well though.

Me too

I think it depends if you're not hooking it up to an external monitor then 14-15 should be what you go for.
14 or 15 though?

I have 12.1" and want ~14". I suppose 13" would still be too small to vertically split code panels without having ant letters.

Again, the Pro 4 owner from before.

>Not for media consumption though.
The Surface line makes it up by being a fucking tablet that you can carry around, move anywhere you want, to your lap on the couch without uncomfortably warming your legs or damaging your sperms.

As for everything else, vertical length actually makes everything more productive, and too much horizontal width actually makes things uncomfortable. This is why there is a "Wrap posts longer than 75% width of the screen" setting on Jow Forums, why many websites throw empty columns around if your browser window is too wide, or text editors (e.g. VS Code) has a centered mode where you narrow down your editor's width, centered.

The one and only downside of Surface Pro's screen is that it is a little small for some use-cases. In which case, you should be on a Surface Book 15" instead, anyway.

Pro line is used as a tablet more often than the Book line, I'd presume. It is uncanny to have a tablet screen any larger than Pro's, so I don't blame Microsoft for not providing a larger screen variant of the Surface Pro. Nobody would probably be into it. I should just go for the Book 15".

14" master race reportin in

as someone who used one of these regularly for a while (long story) can confirm the screen is beautiful for what it is. Worth it but kinda lame still nonetheless, it's not something to bring everywhere.

>I know people who ship desktops and monitors around the country for work
Fuck that. I'd rather get a 'gayman' laptop. At least then I'd have total control over it, being that it'll be a carry-on item.

>he thinks he can just walk into the classroom with his 15" laptop like it's all cool now
>implying we won't roll up on his block
>implying we won't scramble his HDD with a magnet
>implying we won't key his pre-owned AE-86
>implying we won't run up in his home and shoot then dismember all relatives and/or pets

the audacity of his

Attached: Lou_Richie_BlackVulture.jpg (600x450, 194K)

They fixed literally all of those issues in the 2018 revision of the laptop.
Sorry you got fucked on the 2017 one.

I'm super happy with my XPS15. Got it for 50% off through work though, not sure I'd really want to spend nearly 2k on the model I have.

>pre-owned AE-86
It's a 33yo car. Of course it's pre-owned.

Bezel makes a huge difference desu

Attached: B5919212-F6B9-4BFE-B848-F8AA422DAA5F.jpg (1600x1200, 371K)

13: laptops are meant to be portable. If you want something bigger that's annoying to carry get a proper desktop

only a boomer would know

>only a boomer would know
Would know what? The age of the car? It's in the name.

BBC sized laptops are the way to go.

20 inch minimum.

MACSHITTERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

I'm post-practicality, old man! Try again!

14 inch or 15 inch with tiny bezels is perfect size:

- Full size keys.
- Fits in any non-gay backpack.

How should they feel about this?

Attached: mxp2.jpg (3328x1698, 421K)

APPLEL SHOULD SUE

LIKE A MACBOOK WITHOUT THE RETARD BEZELS

I find 14" a bit small for coding but I enjoy it pretty much everywhere else. Will probably go again with a 14" inch for my next laptop anyway since I don't code that much on my laptop.

But 13" with an aspect ration of 16:9 would probably be unbearable.

I've thought about buying this thing but I love MacOS (I know, gay). Maybe I'll just make the jump over since Apple hardware is garbage.

Do people really get annoyed by the weight of a laptop? How sickly are you if carrying a laptop that is a little heavier a problem for you?

Install eOS or other common distro and rice it.

I think 15" laptops have too large a footprint. The weight is typically fine.

one is bigger

Yeah, a lot of people do that as well. Most still ship a second monitor around to go with it, though.

If you care about weight:
13"
If you want to actually somewhat work on it:
15" or 17"

I like 13in when done as a 2-in-1. Hell, I prefer that size in any form factor. My last laptop was had a 17.3in screen, and it was a pain in the ass to lug around campus and use in class. My now smaller laptop is perfect for bringing anywhere.

why the fuck would you want to use a broken distro instead of High Sierra, or the next one to come Mojave?

thats the mbp 2016, I have the 2017 model its ok i guess

Laptop displays should be 15 inches and 15 inches only. Anything smaller is too small to be useful and anything larger no longer qualifies as portable.

>15"
too large

13, or 14. 15 was a mistake and 17 was a travesty

15 is the Goldilocks size. It's perfect for laptops. Not for tablets. Not for desktop monitors.
It's perfect for laptops.

See this is why they make laptops in different sizes, because you couldn't be more wrong (unless you were one of those heathens claiming 17" laptops should even exist)

>tfw 13.9 inch

I've got no problem with my penis size so a 13" display is enough.

>because you couldn't be more wrong
Explain.
>(unless you were one of those heathens claiming 17" laptops should even exist)
Did you even read my post? I said anything bigger than 15" is too big for a laptop, but anything smaller is too small.

Anything other than the XPS is oversized.

>Explain.
15" is simply too large for a portable machine.
>Did you even read my post?
I did, and my response was that the only way you could be more wrong was by liking 17" laptops.

15 inch is nice for using around the house and shit, or to set up semi-permanently in places. Too big to comfortably travel with though, and battery life usually isn't as good.

13 inch is ideal for travel, x series thinkpads are excellent with their dual batteries, you can easily get 10+ hours out of them.

>threading your own post

>my use case is all use cases
I never maximize windows.

>15" is simply too large for a portable machine
lay off the soi

Attached: soyimneverlearn.jpg (4032x3024, 1.05M)

I'd have to consume it to lay off it

>laptop for ants

>15" is simply too large for a portable machine.
No, it isn't. 13 inches is far too small to do anything with; you might as well use a netbook with that. 17" is far too clunky, to the point where you'll have trouble finding backpacks that will even accommodate that size.
15" is right in between them; it's perfect. If you'd like something more portable, get an iPad.
>I did, and my response was that the only way you could be more wrong was by liking 17" laptops.
Ah. Your wording sounded more suggestive.