/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

any stupid questions.
windows, linux, apple, RedStar OS, ask them all here

Attached: dhcp.jpg (533x1199, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=14446
github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus
frys.com/product/9451601?source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqvjviZOW3AIVxI2zCh3HSwjcEAQYASABEgId5fD_BwE
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_transcoding_software
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A or B??

Attached: the portal paradox.jpg (2048x1536, 162K)

A because the cube has no momentum of its own.

but it comes out of the portal, it has momentum, it is moving relative to the exit portal.
your saying it just suddenly comes to a screeching halt as soon as it exits the portal? why?

It doesn't come to a halt, the cube is never moving. After the piston hits the pedestal the cube is basically just sitting on an incline so it would slide down to the ground because gravity.

>the cube is never moving
it is moving.
the exit portal is stationary with respects to the observer, and the cube is moving (out of the portal) with respect to both the observer and the exit portal.
the cube objectively has a momentum that is different from that of the observer

Ok, the cube moves out of the portal, but not with that much momentum. All that momentum from the portal doesn't translate to the cube. The only movement from the cube is it appearing out of the blue portal and falling to the ground.

I know how to register a domain name and I know that there are several places which will allow you to buy them off of the people who currently own them, but can you put a "hold" on one any where?

Like for example, if a domain name is set to come up for renewal soon, can you put in a request somewhere that if the current owner fails to renew it, you would like to buy it? I realize no place is going to yank domain names away from their current owners to make a sale, but I'm wondering if there are sites that will allow to to sit on a waiting list of some sort to buy them?

Attached: Patrick.jpg (219x324, 15K)

dunno

>but not with that much momentum
well, the quicker the piston moves down, the quicker the qube exits the portal which directly translates to the cube having more momentum upon exit

>All that momentum from the portal doesn't translate to the cube
it must. momentum is only relative to an observer. the cube is moving thru the exit portal, it has momentum relative to the observer. momentum is conserved, it cant just suddenly stop and drop unless it transfers its momentum to something else

>but can you put a "hold" on one any where?
no
>Like for example, if a domain name is set to come up for renewal soon, can you put in a request somewhere that if the current owner fails to renew it, you would like to buy it?
no, once its up for renewal its first come first serve
>but I'm wondering if there are sites that will allow to to sit on a waiting list of some sort to buy them?
this is not how domain registration works

I'm using keepass on my windows machine and it's going great, now I want to be able to use the same database on my mac by storing a master database to dropbox or whatever and syncing the local databases to it

it's easy if I use 2 windows machines, but no mac port of keepass offers proper synchronisation. the solution the devs give is to use the master file directly. does anyone know of a decent mac password manager that works with kdbx and can do this? or else has any other suggestion for the master/slave thing?

I don't think we have the same understanding of how portals would work.
Its like a door frame. Imagine you had a wall with a door frame that you could move arbitrarily through a room. If you had a cube sitting in the middle of the room and moved the doorframe around it really fast then the cube isn't going to shoot off, the movement doesn't get translated from the doorframe to the cube.
Same with the portals, there isn't anything that would cause the cube to move that fast. Sure the cube would appear very fast and it would be a bit jarring to look at, but it would just fall to the floor.

your argument then says that the observer has the same momentum as the portal.
with your door argument frame, if the observer stands still, it is the frame that moves, not the cuber. if the observer moves with the frame, then the cube appears to be moving to the observer. either way there will be a change in momentum when the frame stops moving (on the frames part, and the observers as well if the observer moves with the frame)
so using your argument, the cube is stationary and the portal and the observer MUST be moving

>momentum is only relative to an observer
Jesus fuck. Take a dynamics class please.

it one hundred percent is. momentum is only from a frame of reference because it involves velocity.
learn about relativity, dumbshit

No, neither the observer or the cube has momentum. Either take a high school physics class or go play portal for a bit.

>van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=14446
>Momentum is relative to the frame of reference. A good example showing this is considering people throwing balls on a moving train. Let's say the people on the train think that they are throwing the ball at a velocity of 20 meters per second. Let's also assign some mass of one kilogram to the ball. Therefore, according to the people on the train, the momentum of the ball is 20 kilogram*meters per second. If the train is traveling by some people on the ground at, say, 10 meters per second, then the velocities would add and change the momentum. I.e. to people on the ground, the ball would have a momentum of 30 kilogram*meters per second.
shut up and let the adults talk

>neither the observer or the cube has momentum
i am watching this happen.
i see the cube at rest, and the piston moving. I share the same momemtum as the cube, and the piston has a different momentum because it is moving relative to me and the cube.
i watch the piston press down on the cube
at the same time, the cube emerges from the portal, now with a different momentum than mine, as it is now moving relative to me.
a moving portal must transfer a portion of its energy to the cube. there is no way around it.

Actually I thought it was A but when you break it down like this it really does seem like B.

>now with a different momentum than mine
no no no it doesn't have momentum. it just appears to have momentum but it doesn't.
Portals are like doorways, if the cube fell into the orange portal then yeah it would conserve its momentum when it passed through it. But the portal is the one that is moving. If you moved the doorway over the cube then it wouldn't just get momentum from nowhere, but to observers on the other side of the doorway it would appear to have momentum.

A.

There is no problem if an object is dropped through a portal, it would conserve its momentum as going through
But this actually makes sense because when you look at the picture you actually have to push the cube upwards Against Gravity for it to exit, so you actually do need to impart some sort of force against it to get it moving

this, the portal would just let the object come through, not give it any speed.

The box has no velocity. The only thing changing to the box from left to right is the direction of gravity due to its new orientation. The speed of the portal is only affecting how fast this change happens.

And it has no bearing on this problem. You can be the box, you could be some faggot on the internet, you could be pushing that portal piston out of your butt blasted rectum, doesn't fucking matter because it's clear the observer is stationary and it's not a problem of perception.

>it just appears to have momentum but it doesn't
>but to observers on the other side of the doorway it would appear to have momentum
explain please. im not trying to argue, help me understand.
how could something be moving with respects to an observer but not *actually* have momentum?
If I were to push my hand against the cube while it were moving thru the portal what would happen? would it stop instantly? or would I be pressing against the force of the piston moving down?

a

>it's clear the observer is stationary
stationary is only relative, faggot.
the cube is stationary from the cubes perspective, even when pushed thru the portal.
the piston is stationary the entire time it is moving.
when two things do not appear stationary to each other, then one has a velocity different from the other, ergo there exists a momenta.
this has everything to do with the problem

>the piston is stationary the entire time it is moving.
*from its own frame of reference

You would be pressing against the piston moving down.
This whole scenario is a bit difficult to conceptualize because the two sides of the "doorway" can be in different locations, and have different properties (in this case one side has momentum where the other does not)

No actually I kind of agree with user.
The Piston must impart some sort of velocity on the cube to force it upwards Against Gravity, giving it a velocity relative to The Observer

>If I were to push my hand against the cube while it were moving thru the portal what would happen
This.
If the cube does indeed have any sort of momentum it would push against you, Which it obviously would

>You would be pressing against the piston moving down.
would you not be pressing against the platform the cube is resting on, assuming you press the cube in a direction opposite its movement?

wait no I fucked up you would be pressing against the solid floor, not the force of the piston.

i agree with you, assuming the cube has no momentum
so we are at a little bit of a paradox now, arent we?
no matter how hard i press the against the cube, im pressing against the pedastal, but it is the piston moving...
what if I were to suggest that the piston imparts a velocity to the cube proportional to how fast the piston were moving? and if you were to try and push against the cube and stop it from exiting, you really are pushing against the piston?

>so we are at a little bit of a paradox now, arent we?
just to clarify this, the paradox is that no matter how hard you try to resist the cube exiting the portal, your force is transfered to the pedestal it sits on and the cube is still moved thru effortlessly by the piston

Thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi or a micro computer just for fun, but I don't know a lot about them. Is there a good guide with some FAQs and purchasing guide?

>Thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi or a micro computer just for fun, but I don't know a lot about them. Is there a good guide with some FAQs and purchasing guide?
what are you going to use it for? as far as purchasing a pi, just go for the newest model.
keep in mind these are only like $30 and not very high spec wise.
check into the Odriod Xu4 as well

And portals only change the space of the object occupies.
You're using a physics concept to explain why movement appears different between different observers instead of the dynamics of what's happening.

But the piston itself does not interact with the box. The portal moves the box away from the piston.

If you put your face at the blue portal, your face would be destroyed based on the velocity of the piston's speed and the box would fall on top of you. It would be like if you were diving face first into the box.

Portals only move matter. Objects maintain their own dynamics.

I'm going to be honest I don't know if it can run it, but I want to do word processing on it and run media off a USB

do odriod XU4 for sure. rasp pi has very low memory and are very slow

>velocity of the piston's speed
so the piston does infact impart a velocity to the cube?
becuase it is not the piston my face would be interacting with, it is the cube

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it

Attached: 1529764921540.jpg (751x503, 43K)

You're posting in a troll thread...

The portal is effectively a doorway, the cube isn't affecting or being affected by the doorway at all, just passing through it.
Imagine a doorway and on the other side of it is a wall (the pedestal in this case). No matter how hard you push on that wall you aren't going to get the doorway to move because they are two completely separate things.
The cube is coming through that portal whether you like it or not, the only time this whole theory gets fuzzy is when there is an immovable object blocking the other side of the portal. The cube still has to travel through the portal but there is nowhere to go.

Imagine a the Piston has no arm, and is just a paper thin (but solid) platform. It has the orange portal on the bottom, and the blue portal on the top. Essentially it is the same as a regular whole. But it does in fact use portals. Regardless of how fast you smash it down, the cube won't jump into the air, that would be ridiculous.

>The cube is coming through that portal whether you like it or not, the only time this whole theory gets fuzzy is when there is an immovable object blocking the other side of the portal.
not quite.
if the exit portal were on the nose of a rocket moving 1000mph relative to the cube, and this same experiment happened, would the cube exit the portal at 0mph (meaning you would have to accelerate the cube to 1000mph to even get it to go thru the portal) or would the cube exit the portal traveling the same speed as the rocket to which it is attached? This means that somewhere 1000mph of energy was transferred to the cube, otherwise its a perpetual energy machine

1000mph relative to a single observer?

If the exit portal is moving then the cube will have the same velocity as the exit portal.

yes, the paradox in this case is that if what we see above is case A, then in the rocket example you could drop a cube thru a portal, impart 1000mph of velocity to it efforlessly, slow down the cube, (but not the rocket), capture the excess energy, rinse and repeat.
perpetual energy machine.

>If the exit portal is moving then the cube will have the same velocity as the exit portal.
then you have a perpetual energy machine.

>Creating energy from nothing
Maybe portals just fundamentally violate physics and there is no correct answer because they are an impossibility

Yeah exactly. This is all stupid theoretical video game science. The fact that portals can create a perpetual energy machine isn't important until we invent portals.
Have you ever played Portal by the way? I have a feeling a quick playthrough of that would straighten this confusion out pretty easily.

>Have you ever played Portal by the way
I had asked a question about portal physics, not a video game, and i dont quite care how the game mechanics work.
but I guess we wound up at the correct answer here:
>This is all stupid theoretical video game science.
and here:
>Maybe portals just fundamentally violate physics and there is no correct answer because they are an impossibility

just to point out tho, the perpetual energy machine and violations of physical laws are all avoided if case B is the correct answer

No, not on the cube. Your head is what's moving now if you stuck it through the blue end. Now that your head has a velocity, it's what would be what's interacting with the cube.

If you hold the box through the portal and looked at the rocket, the box would stay wherever the exit portal on the rocket. If you let go and closed the portals, then the box would indeed be chilling on the outside of the rocket, both going the same speed.

Portals are literally windows.

Portals merely existing creates perpetual energy issues. You could instantly move huge amounts of mass great distances, stick a portal at the bottom of a dam and one at the top and boom, infinite water flow that you can capture.

Is itunes really that bad on terms of botnet?

Attached: dragonball.gif (220x123, 28K)

Who gives a fuck, pick A or B

>Portals merely existing creates perpetual energy issues. You could instantly move huge amounts of mass great distances, stick a portal at the bottom of a dam and one at the top and boom, infinite water flow that you can capture.
unless if there is an energy cost moving an object to a different energy potential.
using your example if water were just dribbling over the edge of a cliff and down into a portal which took it to the top of the cliff, if case B were the true answer, then the water would slow down by hitting the portal and exit the other end with no velocity.
basically my argument is that for portals to physically work, they cannot simply bridge space, they have to bridge energy potential as well, and then all the physics works flawlessly.

i have a family member who has an iphone and cant stand itunes, basically because he had one device with all these songs on it, got a new device, and it wouldnt let him transfer the songs over

>go play portal for a bit.
i don't recall portal supporting portals on moving surfaces
it also only had pistons going towards a portal surface, not the other way around, and they were all very low speed, so you wouldn't be able to tell either way

This....
Actually makes a lot of sense

That does make sense. But I don't think there has ever been an example of portals bridging energy potential as well, the lack of that feature is what makes them fun to think about.

>But I don't think there has ever been an example of portals bridging energy potential as well,
lol i dont think anybody thought it was necessary until some autist came along and made this diagram.
i saw people talking about it and was one of the only people who thought case b had to be the only physically acceptable answer.
also, have never played portal but hear good things.
why does everyone mention it? is this scenario right out of the game or something?

What's some good software to tag images with
Should I just rename the files with the tags?

probably because it is a good game that deals with portals. While this exact scenario is impossible in the game (portals unfortunately can't be placed on moving surfaces) it does give a bit of perspective on how objects interact with portals.

personally i just name the files when i download them with the tags i want... i probably have 10-15 files that are permutations of the word fag because of this

Attached: faggot01.gif (390x373, 2.54M)

>why does everyone mention it? is this scenario right out of the game or something?
no, it's not
portal doesn't support moving portals, and it's physics is pretty basic as well, it preserves momentum between portals, but only at the instance when you become mostly through it
i doubt this example would be accurately simulated in portal

Is there a recursive ls I can use to view all subdirectories in Linux?
Something like
ls -r

-- that is, once you or an object is >50% through a portal, the object is teleported to the other portal, with the object's momentum at that time maintained (rotated to suit the orientation of the portals)

github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus

Can you get some sort of graphics card or something that plugs in via USB? I don't care about about rendering Graphics I'd use it for hashing passwords but I have a laptop

Thanks!

Try
tree

ls -R

frys.com/product/9451601?source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqvjviZOW3AIVxI2zCh3HSwjcEAQYASABEgId5fD_BwE
I have no idea how well they work though for your purposes. Also it is powered by a sata cable so I don't know how you do that with the laptop

Thanks

>Can you get some sort of graphics card or something that plugs in via USB?
yes, though they're mainly for basic terminal use, they won't do any 3D, i'm not sure if any even do 2D acceleration
>I'd use it for hashing passwords
they absolutely won't do that, you want a regular pci-e card for that (which can be external)

What's a decent Linux video transcoder? I've tried piviti but it has a bad habit of freezing while CPU spinning at 100%

You can do an eGPU setup. There are Expresscard docks, Thunderbolt docks, and mPCIe docks. I used an Expresscard dock and they can take some work to get set up but work well.
No USB GPUs, they need a PCIe endpoint and USB doesn't have that.

ffmpeg

I'm not sure but here's a list
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_transcoding_software

>eGPU setup
Can you explain this to me?

when will the next line of nvidia graphics cards come out? ive heard so many contradictory things and i just want clarity.

Does that support conversion into webm though

Yes.

C.

Attached: c.png (573x383, 14K)

Thanks

Lol top answer

why does "nm" matter so much in processors?

the closer the gap between the logic gates, the more of them you can cram into a processor.
so imagine an instruction needs to pass thru 100 logic gates to complete, and your cpu has a 1 hz frequency.
if on a given chip you have 50 logic gates, and on another chip of the same size you have 100 gates, then the instruction will take 2 cycles to complete on the first chip, and 1 cycle to complete on the second chip

What's the overall best mobile browser? (Android phone)

Attached: 1460575848217.jpg (885x727, 121K)

>Speed
Lightning.
>No ads
Firefox Mobile with uBlock Origin

How do I set my flag on Jow Forums in Clover?

Thanks, user. I'll check them out.

Attached: cassie-crisano.jpg (675x960, 60K)

On Linux, supposing there is a need to test a program, can you coinstall another version in a separate directory?

Attached: 1523577517691.jpg (573x560, 68K)