How has this thing not been perforated to shit by millions of micrometeorites yet?

How has this thing not been perforated to shit by millions of micrometeorites yet?

Attached: internationalspacestation.jpg (2400x1800, 773K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110012997.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_shield
youtube.com/watch?v=1TmBXciVr1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because it's a 3d model produced by a chinese render farm

I can see aliasing

Is the ISS a hoax?

because it's not there user
earth is flat, nasa lies and spends your money for renders and blue/green screens supported by argumented virtual reality

they just move it out of the way

obviously

magnets

OMG. How has this thing not been perforated to shit by millions of micrometeorites yet?

Attached: 638831main_globe_east_2048.jpg (2048x2048, 524K)

Big ones: NASA can track them and the ISS can then dodge them.
Small ones: Google "Ripple Shields", works good for small stuff (like dust grain and such stuff).
Everything in between, like pea grain size - didn't got hit yet.
Still, the ISS leaks a lot of oxygen every day, which has to be compensated somehow. But they can deal with it actually.
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110012997.pdf

For the main body they coat the entire thing with a sacrificial strong outer wall layer, usually kevlar or aluminium composites so if they do get hit it won't perforate the main body it'll just hit the outer shell.

As for the solar panels they're likely just made out of a strong enough material in the first place.

A few of the solar panels and radiators do have holes in them from meteorites.

Ripple shields don't give shit other than battleon forums. adding "space" doesn't help either

It's only like 150 miles up. Most of the small shit gets sucked towards Earth and burns up.

Yes, the aliens wouldn't let us put up a real one.

Attached: aliens.jpg (720x680, 63K)

the retard meant Whipple shields

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_shield

...it has.

Because its not there.

Auto regeneration feature of the maintenance nanomachines.

So what is that bright object that I see it in the night sky once per week? And why do dim soyuz and dragon-shaped objects meet up with it?

Could be just some other junk sattelite orbiting the earth.

because it's fucking tiny?

So if sattelites can be real, why can't the ISS?

ITT
People who still believe NASA sends people to space.

Seriously, bubbles and a scuba diver have been spotted during space walks.

Satellites are not real, that is why GPS and satellite phones work over land and water in the northern hemisphere and only over land in the southern hemisphere.

It's actually sputnik. It's the only thing humans have ever managed to put in orbit.

You realize that they intentionally surround ISS with a protective bubble of water, right? It absorbs the impact from microscopic space debris, and since it's space once you pump it up there it just stays as a perfect sphere around the station forever. Also makes doing walks easier because you can do them in a normal scuba suit instead of an expensive space suit and there's less chance of drifting off into space since you can just swim back.

Because it has an atmosphere

Attached: 1507198615821.jpg (572x303, 32K)

Prove it

That doesn't make sense.

Here Astronaut Hiroyuki Nishimura is seen on the edge of the water bubble at the ISS, sternly staring into the darkness of space, contemplating doing an intrastellar backflip.

Attached: Astronaut Hiroshima Nagasaki.jpg (4256x2832, 1.61M)

I like this one.

Space is huge and empty

The "space junk" problem is blown way out of proportion.

Space is huge, but there are only a few bands around the earth where geosynchronous orbit is possible and those bands are very crowded.

Thanks

Step one: buy a radio
Step two: download an ephemeris (database of satellite orbits)
Step three: filter for satellites that transmit and receive on amateur frequencies
Step four: use the radio to perform your own verifiable, repeatable experiment confirming or disproving the accuracy of the ephemeris and the equations of orbital mechanics.

You can even rule out foul play, like a van following you around with a transmitter designed to spoof a satellite, by having a friend in a different location perform the same experiment. You will not be able to contact any satellite (including the ISS) unless it is actually overhead in your local sky. Your friend 200 miles north (or wherever) won't hear the bird at the same time you do.
If you connect your radio to a computer and record the strength of the signal over time as the bird flies over, you can map with great accuracy its path across your sky (the signal will get weaker in a predictable fashion as it drops near and eventually below your horizon).

I have performed this experiment myself, many times, with equipment that costs about $30. I also used a raspberry pi so that I didn't have to leave my computer outside while waiting for interesting satellites to come overhead. Good luck convincing me not to believe my own eyes and ears.

Why has OPs mom been perforated my >9000 bbc yet not a single micrometeorite?

And the ISS is tens of thousands of miles away from geosynchronous orbit. It isn't even above the atmosphere.

This was a picture I took by aiming my bird camera at the sky a few years ago.

Attached: Discovery-ISS.jpg (1000x806, 10K)

FUND IT!

WE SHOULD TAKE MONEY FROM DEM PROGRAMS TO PUT THE ISS IN A GIANT BUBBLE OF WATER THAT INSTANTLY VAPORIZES SINCE THERES NO AIR PRESSURE IN SPACE

>Step three: filter for satellites that transmit and receive on amateur frequencies
Stopped reading right there.

>AIR PRESSURE

There's gravitational pressure from ISS itself.

You are doing an experiment to see if they are lying about being satellites or not. You don't have to trust anything except your own eyes and ears for this experiment.

>You are doing an experiment to see if they are lying about being satellites or not. You don't have to trust anything except your own eyes and ears for this experiment.

I don't need to do an 'experiment'
t. Satellite Communications Engineer who's travelled the world install and upgrading telecommunications infrastructure for DoD/OGA.

*installing

That's a big guy

for you.

Because millions of micrometeorites haven't hit it yet.

Nobody knows what you are trying to say and you sound like you have autism.

>you sound like you have autism.
Pretty rich coming from people that think the ISS isn't real, and don't think satellites exist.

So let me get this straight, you replied derisively to my post that completely shuts down any arguments that satellites don't exist, because you agree with me? What the fuck is wrong with you?

>So let me get this straight, you replied derisively to my post that completely shuts down any arguments that satellites don't exist, because you agree with me? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Satellites don't use 'amateur' Hz.

Lots of them do, including the ISS which regularly makes contact with HAMs.

It's always getting hit which is why there's no one on it.
The panels are a decoy/bullshit.
It has a battery array in there.
It's a big spy camera nothing more.

Then why do people climb out of the capsules after they land back on Earth? How did the fake "astronauts" get in there while everyone was watching it streak across the sky?

A good one if so. I've gone outside on the night and time that it was supposed to fly overhead, and sure enough a bigger-than-usual satellite with a noticeably non-circular shape streaked across the sky in the amount of time they said it would take. Pretty hard to fake that without putting something about as big as the ISS into the same orbit.

You can even make out the shape in a decent telescope. Hard to track it though.

youtube.com/watch?v=1TmBXciVr1k

The chad autiste:
Doesn't care what your point is.
Even if he agrees with you he will still make a hostile post.
Wants everyone to know he's better than them.
Travels the globe to autist rage on every continent.

The virgin normie:
Tries to make a meaningful contribution to the thread.
Posts are internally and externally consistent.
Listens to and understands others.

Based.

Not stronk enough

>these idiots believe in cosmos
Good

>bubbles and a scuba diver have been spotted during space walks

I see a lot of retards post this but they never once have brought proof. I had one guy tell me the moon was totally on a string on one of the appolo mission videos.

I legitimately just want to find the videos you fags are talking about to see for myself but I dont believe they even fucking exist.

Well done; would be mocked by you again.

Because it doesn't exist

not funny anymore.

>literally mercator projection
>b-but it's real
toplel globies are truly ape tier

>he still believes in the ISS

Attached: 1484545112508.jpg (205x223, 11K)

Attached: SO RETARDED.png (300x300, 10K)

It's in low earth orbit and most objects at that altitude rapidly re-enter the atmosphere due to atmospheric drag. The ISS itself has to be boosted into a higher orbit every 6 months or so or else it would slow down too much and crash/burn up.

The thinking was, it's safer to boost the ISS every half a year until we don't want to do that, vs the risk of a micrometeor perforating the station.

With that said, they could probably have put it all the way up into a 500km orbit with no real micrometeroid safety issue, but then the shuttle wouldn't have been able to reach it, either, and since the station exists for the shuttle to reach it, and the shuttle so that it can reach the space station, that's an automatic no-go for pork-barrel reasons.

I... would that actually work???

What the fuck

the water would evaporate and freeze

Why they don't put laser cannons on ISS to blast meteorites?

real life photos can have aliasing

What if you wrapped the water in aluminum foil?

Wouldn't most debris in the path of the ISS be traveling at approximately the same speed as the ISS?

Except we haven't had shuttles for years now.

Low Earth Orbit is pretty safe, everything falls into the atmosphere after a couple of years anyway if it's not periodically boosted back.

Shit exploding in geosynchronous orbit is bad. It'll stay up there practically forever.

>freeze
not going to happen. sun would be constantly heating the water and only way for it to lose heat energy is to radiate it out (negligible for something as cool as liquid water)

water cools by evaporation as well

The ISS was made during the shuttle period. Now of course the shuttle is dead and the only link remaining is the Soyuz.

i once forgot a glass of water on my night stand for a whole day and it froze solid

I have a feeling they have a shield generator.

Yes, this was the main problem with the movie Gravity. Orbital speed directly controls the height of the orbit. Anything moving fast relative to you would quickly travel to an orbit that is not near you.

In an environment with no pressure it would.

Once I opened an old bottle of carbonated water that was stored in a 40 F fridge (i.e., above the freezing point of water) and had it immediately freeze in my hand. It wasn't so much solid ice as snow, I guess because of the escaping gasses. The sudden release of pressure from the bottle that had been stored for so long was enough to immediately put it under the freezing point. It was really something, I'd never seen anything like it before but when I thought about it, it made sense.

Private capsules (e.g. SpaceX Dragon) have been visiting the ISS for several years now. I don't believe people have been carried in anything but Soyuz since the shuttle retired though.

Attached: 1int.png (303x311, 178K)