So much hatred gets thrown around at the things people like here. Let's have a gentle thread instead

So much hatred gets thrown around at the things people like here. Let's have a gentle thread instead.

What's a feature you like in your favourite language? Don't make a case for it, just say why you like it.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1452x1128, 217K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Asday/stupid-cms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

English, Nigger.

OP is a faggot.

Good thread so far.

I like that scalar variables start with a $ because it makes me feel rich.

Attached: tak.gif (320x240, 226K)

nice blog post, go make a tumblr

I like that very occasionally in C++ I get to type delete this; and it's valid.

Surprisingly gentle answers!

lol

I like list comprehensions and generator expressions. I think I'd like LINQ if I learnt C#.

C
0)pointers because i want to have control
1)the abilty to write rour own compiler fairly easily
2)it compiles for absolutely everything

same goes for
find --help

bash
history expansion/substitution

Golang.
iota

Syntax.

Lua
Lightweight, portable, ansi c, simple to program, simple to make c libraries.
Although, I hate some of the keywords like "end"

LINQ is my favorite C# feature. It's so hard to not go over the top with it.

>0)pointers because i want to have control
Which is the only bit of control you'll ever have in your pathetic life, Cnile.

I really like slicing lists in python. It feels smooth and straight forward to work with.

Java.

The fucking set of tools for that language is amazing. JUnit, Maven, Jenkins, Lombok, Eclipse, IntelliJ, FindBugs, VisualVM, Checkstyle, Gradle, and more, with servers like Tomcat, Glassfish, Jetty, Wildfly and even one for masochists, called WebSphere that nobody should ever use for anything, you have loads of ways to talk to the world. Then there are frameworks. Massive heavy things like Spring, somewhat better these days like JEE, and lightweight ones that don't bother you so much like SparkJava and Dropwizard.

There's just so much stuff out there that does shit for you, and so many mature well functioning libraries that using anything else feels like using some half-baked beta shit.

I like OOP programming using extensible clean design patterns integrated into a RESTful platform powered by ecologically sound and efficient technology stacks designed only by the brightest in Apple Labs.

Please be nice to your fellow programmer friends, this is a gentle thread.

stop sucking his dick

I feel the same about list comprehensions. Got me into trouble the first week of programming professionally.

>Jenkins
I thought Jenkins was deployment orchestration for any language?

template parameter packs are cute!

It is now, but it started out as a Java tool.
You can also script it using groovy, which makes it multibranch pipelines pretty sweet.

If you're willing to learn a very easy to learn scripting language (Groovy), I can honestly recommend learning how it works. It's really useful.

I've been meaning to get into either Spinnaker or Jenkins, but now I'm without a job, I'm without both production servers and a reason, so it's on the back burner.

let three = 2

It's naughty but the computer plays along.

You can learn the basics really fast when you have to. When the time comes, you'll do just fine.

pervert

I fucking love django, it works, it's more secure than most frameworks out of the box and it's comfy.

I wonder... I have a home server (FreeNAS). I wonder if I could get a couple CentOS VMs running on it and make it pretend to be AWS or something...

Oh man same. Check out this stupid shit I made: github.com/Asday/stupid-cms

Jenkins is just a war-file. You an run it using java -jar if you want to. You can have it on your dev-machine if you just want to learn and experiment with it.

Sure, I'd run jenkins itself on my development machine, but wouldn't I need servers to deploy to to play with it...?

Is there something very obvious I'm not understanding?

I think you're misunderstanding how simple Jenkins actually is.

It's a way to integrate the build, test, and deploy stages with source control.

The pipeline I last built was kinda jerry-rigged but it worked really well:

> Poll source control every minute
> When any branch had been pushed to, check out that revision and branch,
> spin off a maven build
> gather up test results

The deploy mechanism was just:
> Run the normal build procedure
> turn off wildfly
> remove old files
> copy over new files
> start back up

You can ssh into your own machine, so you don't actually need to have Jenkins on a separate machine. It's usually a neat idea to do so in a real environment, but it's not needed.

You're basically writing groovy scripts, and you can have 90% of your lines be sh("shell command here") if that's what you're comfortable with.

No nigger :^)

Just saw your post will look into it hold on

Dude
Here

You have no docs, no comment, no readme, who could even "check out" this kind of project?
I'm not even saying it's a bad repo, I'm saying tl;dr because i'm not going to read your whole code to figure out what it's about
If you're going to share some repo at least try to document it, if you're going to work like a savage keep it to yourself.

>who could even "check out" this kind of project?
Just click on any source file. You don't need to understand the whole project to look at a random file.

I get where you're comin' from though.

/thread