What does Jow Forums honestly think of Microsoft and crew?

What does Jow Forums honestly think of Microsoft and crew?

Attached: quote-unix-is-a-junk-os-designed-by-a-committee-of-phds-dave-cutler.jpg (850x400, 48K)

based

he's not wrong but he still let them fuck up NT for muh performance and backwardness

Best devs.
Shit management.

For all of MS history and for the near future.

Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
-Linus Torvalds

Windows is bad enough with all of the spyware and being totally closed source, but from what I've seen I can honestly say that Windows itself is poorly designed. NT shouldn't have carried over a single bit of DOS design language. It should have been its own thing entirely. NTFS is garbage as well.

Dave Cutler is wrong. Unix has some flaws but it's the best system we have. Nearly every OS that isn't DOS or Windows or a clone of them have carried over the design of Unix. Even Microsoft made Windows POSIX compliant at one point. Unix is the best fucking thing since sliced bread. I say this as a Linux user who appreciates all of the Unix-like bits of my system.

>Unix is the best fucking thing since sliced bread
lol how?

toy operating systems
microshit were amateurs from the start
their 'OS' is nothing, a trivial mess

"Microsoft's problem is that they have no class"
Steve Jobs

"Maybe, but we have all the money"
Bill Gates

I tried Windows 10 until it raped my PC with updates and closed all my shit overnight. Not going back.

Cutler is a true engineering badass (and apparently a supreme asshole), but he was scalped by Gates from DEC.

Anybody on Jow Forums who honestly gives a shit about OS design and development history should read Showstopper!.

Who's Dave Cutler?

microsoft manages to envelop the best and worst things in computing.

unix was not made by a committe of PhDs, it was started by Ken Thompson who only has a masters as a personal project with no official backing by AT&T management and Dennis Ritchie later helped Ken grow it into a fully working OS.

Someone who is shackled with ball&chain to work for idiots who turn his brilliant GOAT OS kernal into a fisher-price toy with tablet UI

Awful. Just awful. NTFS is a shit show and NT isn't much better.

He made it so he could play a game.

unironically this, every real engineer at the time mocked their shitty OS compared to the knowledge known at that time

a retard like Dave cutler thinks he's a genius just because his shitty OS sells, pathetic retard, Windows is nothing but mediocrity at best

youre both unironic idiots, you cant even be bothered to look up wikipedia and see that VMS was the best OS of its time before MS even existed

Dave was forced to turn his precious OS into a kiddie show of graphical wizards, violence broke out when he was told he had to do this

Don't bother, they're just shitposters. They don't care about Cutler, anything that happened in tech. They just want attention and replies. They treat Jow Forums like Instagram, nothing more.

how does one judge Windows technically when x86 OS business has almost been a monopoly (excluding servers which are mostly dominated by linux)?

By the fact that Microsoft is fazing out x86 support as they dont care about "older" tech like how the Snapchat devs think that android is a poor persons phone

Windows 10 locked itself inside my SDD when I was a poorfag. None of the retard "computer repair" shops in town (this is in a coastal city BTW, not the boonies) had the equipment to wipe it. Once I got a new one and installed Debian I realized how pointlessly difficult it was to customize anything on a computer that was crippled by Windows and I never looked back.
Buy two computers if you really need to be a faggot who wastes their time on video games, I remember how thirsty I used to be for that shit. If you want to devote 4+ hours a day to some shitty software made in a sweatshop you're wasting way more than a couple hundred dollars' of your limpdick life in a week. But hey it's like life support for asocial people so whatever.
MacOS is a complete joke at this point, so don't even consider their disgustingly overpriced hardware. They put so little effort into maintaining it that they are going to massively ramp up putting iOS code into it. If grandma will accept nothing else, get her an iPad to paw at until she reaches complete senility.
As for the Microsoft crew... My uncle literally works at Microsoft. I don't mean like in the memes where he's a cool guy who tells you what's up, he just shills Skype all the time. He met his wife at Microsoft so it must be fun to work there as a salaried employee, but apparently everybody is fucking terrified of messing with the underpinnings of Windows: software that is literally from the NINETIES! Just because they slap new label on it and force updates doesn't mean a goddamn thing. Fuck your shitty meme thread.

forgot to post mfw

Attached: compeutrs.jpg (645x484, 14K)

Poo

Eh. Not awful, but could be better.

>Windows may be kind of shit, but it just happens that it's the less shit than the competition.

>competition
nigger

Not a surprise. BIG enterprise customers have factories and shit that run ancient software, but these factories or financial computers, or whatever, are making hundreds of millions of dollars a year. You fuck with the old windows legacy garbage to fix the big mess and those factories go down.

Large multinational computer networks on fairly old companies are not in a good state.

>are you quoting yourself?
are you quoting yourself?

Attached: daddy.png (466x525, 324K)

It's a marketable product, so yes; competition.

Quality response, user. Well done.

>that 30 year old boomer who spills his spaghett in a bait thread

The purchase of github was a new low.

Fuck Microsoft.

Once you kids see what Microsoft is building with Azure + Windows as a service your little boipuccis will quiver.

Over the next 5 years Microsoft will cement their hold on Business/ Enterprise and consumers get the run off as God intended.

Attached: buss.jpg (564x500, 43K)

>TempleOS is what Linux should have been - Linus Tech Tips

god that's ironic

Who is designing and producing new x86 processors?

AMD64 is here to stay for the long term. 32-bit Windows should have been phased out with Windows 8. The very fact that Windows 10 has 32-bit builds is only further proof that Microsoft needed to squeeze every last drop of money out of the consumer market.

Does anyone have statistics on server adoption, from my experience with small/mid size companies Windows Server dominates. Linux/ Unix is great for backbone infrastructure but Its almost always supporting a Windows environment.

they shoulda left NT as he made it

once he left, vista started to drift

his last good work was XP x64

seriously what's wrong with the NT architecture?

I meant that Windows is going to be off that platform soon enough and a lot of people use 32 bit processors (industry) so it may be a time for linux to swoos in

Look who is talking

the steal of the century.
or the self-shot-in-the-foot of the century. RIP DEC

I think that is correct. no OS does server-client integration as well as windows server (when I say "client" I mean your average business workstation, not networking terminology). not apple, not linux. and given the ubiquity of windows as a business client OS, it makes sense windows server overtook that segment.

I've been making the argument for years that the only reason why linux took over the infrastructure server market was because it's free as in no pay. servers at that level cost a lot of money. support for a commercial OS costs money. no one wants to shell out more for the OS, so linux won. it built on that success by getting more development for server products (apache), the same way Microsoft built on its success from the development of windows-only software (ms-office, games, windows-only programs)

The CLR is fucking awesome. C# is a great language and they have generally contributed a lot of good things to both their own ecosystem as well as open source technologies as of late.

Only 2 unix guys actually have PhDs tho

please, what is the best thing they have invented

shitty 90s they can't get rid of cos they lost track incl. such 90s regressive gems that have disappeared everywhere else.
defragging .. the registry

gates stated his biggest regret in interview was the abandonment (just one of the serial failed projects) of WINFS ~ early 2000s

what he was actually saying in saying that, was an admission of his biggest failure

"some structure" , design

re: gates
real programmers never give up
he failed. it's a mess. his whole world is a decayed, inconsistant mess. They do not use it theirselves - it is only for the plebs. Sure they got the push button VCR programming to work, just about, for the plebs (when other co.s had had that working for years on betamax). It's nothing.

Sliced bread is kinda overratedtbh

uhhh... non modal gui? child windowing?

Ive been a Linux guy for about 10 years until I started my current job, who wanted me to implement Azure based cloud solutions to replace on prem hardware.

I understand how shitty windows 10 looks from the consumer perspective but from a business prospective it's absolutely amazing. Our clients with 10 - 15 seats have seen huge benefit from Azure active directory, files migrated into SharePoint, their LOB apps running in an Azure VM RDS environment presented via azure application proxy.

Their computers AzureAD joined, managed with Azure intune policies for highly secure/ controlled environment for confidential data - all of this SSO = low administrative overhead, increased productivity and much lower IT spend.

Microsoft is dominating

And let's not forget how Linux is getting uglier and bloated too, even the base kernel.

"Let me find you a file so you don't have to need up with the real conf file, then a command to build a file from the other file… "

based

Attached: windows.jpg (718x479, 65K)

t. the maker of a standalone kernel

Attached: btc.png (1027x731, 43K)

they invented nothing that wasn't made possible by xerox parc, they didn't implement the object system it's garbage, it always was. A pale imitation

Microsoft is going nowhere fast. Like really fast. The sort of fast that is happens the closer you get to a black hole. However, this black hole sucks harder than most because it's recursively powered by how much Microsoft increasingly sucks. The more Microsoft sucks the faster the black hole sucks. You get the idea... it's THAT fast!

maybe if you're referring to the type of 'suck' the shareholders enjoy. Microsoft has done just about as well as the other big meme companies despite being nearly 50 years old. Not to mention that most of their contemporaries are gone now

kek, at best this makes them just another dish in the buffet of cloud/SaaS offerings

wat?
>changes topic from technology to investing
>everyone knows marketing garbage can be profitable

>marketing garbage to users, or analyzing garbage from users for marketing
pottery.

Attached: glaugh.jpg (500x370, 59K)

/ourboomer/

People wouldn’t hate change is change wasn’t always for the worse. Also outlook webmail sucks ass

RIGHT in the feels, fuck this outlook.office.com garbage, it makes me physically uneasy

make piece with the fact that everything in design is about the LCD

>piece

everything is a file you fucking nigger, it's the REST of OS interfaces you bald fraud

>everything is a file + a program to modify that file
loonuxtards continue to be an excellent source of comedy.

it's unix not linux, everything is a file is REST over filesystems, take cgroups as an example, you can open endless possibilites inside the kernel and just interface it in userspace using simple file operations

what you look like right now, chuckles

Attached: prisoner laughing in his cage.png (621x431, 354K)

cringeworthy response only a freetard is capable of

Visual Studio remains 32-bit on purpose because of the tinier footprint.

Linux has no idea what's about to attack it on the desktop in the next year. Windows fans will be drooling.

UNIX was a university research project.
Linux is a student re-implementation of a university research project.

If you had used VMS or Multics you'd understand that both Unicies are just toys. Don't even get me on to Microsoft OS.

If you wonder how the hell such toy OS could end up being used everywhere, don't forget also that the CPU used in almost all servers these days is based on a similarly retarded parent.

You know in the 70s we had systems with separate memory for instructions vs data, so there could be no execution of data or reading of instructions by program code? 90% of all buffer overflow problems wouldnt exist today if we had 70s era memory setups.

how old are you? and why technically VMS is superior to Linux or unix based OSes?

Based as fuck, holy fucking shit.

dead man walking

what I found interesting in reading "dealers in lightning" which = the full, journalist written story of xerox parc

the GUI system which = the apple system, jobs having seen it first, jobs having a deal with m$, jobs having implemented the underlying OO system.

That OO was smalltalk .. before the GUI, they had to invent the language, smalltalk made the gui, made the presentation possible made it possible to implement such a sophisticated GUI. if you try to program such a thing without objects, things get complex fast, things get out of control, fast. microshit never used any of that they cobbled together some crap way of implmenting, copying the xerox parc office suite (a whole suite, years before windows v1, years before apple even). They hard coded it without the underlying object structure. They had no understanding, appreciation of anything. They moved too fast, when they didn't have to. In fact, they moved slower, it has taken m$ years to address, implement subsequent improvements, to try to re-market their interpretation, flawed of the perfect xerox implementation, framework (from smalltalk) .. It remains, to this day, a trackless, unformed morass.

horrible shit. But they tout their "massive improvements" within their sealed, non-communicating office environment.

fuck off

jobs saw it first
jobs made the first deal with xerox parc
i believe m$ did have some deal with xerox parc

the xerox engineers were very reluctant to show the smalltalk basis to jobs

jobs saw the right click mouse menuing .. he was prior to that, indifferent. jobs was worth $50m when he arrived at m$

then he saw that small, on the fly changes in smalltalk implemented immediately in the desktop. Smalltalks largest problem initially, was getting it to run fast enough.

dealers in lightning shows that there were huge conceptual leaps in understanding of the initial designers of 32 bit systems. The keyboard/screen were peripherals. It is assumed now that there is memory mapping, interupts it is assumed that screen memory / processor memory is the same map. All was seperate prior. Having screen memory available to the processor enabled the lazer printer enabled graphics enabled the gui. It took a LONG TIME to develop the gui that m$ subsequently fucked up.

ppl on here saying win 95 win 98 .. vista
the truth is that m$ made an inferior copy of merely the xerox gui (nothing from the suite) .. none of the OO. & subsequently, over 2 decades. THEY FAILED TO RENEW EVEN THEIR OWN PRODUCTS. they are failure , within their sealed crap -- as with the first drill bit. a basic thing works, & the same thing is used by the masses for years. The compatibility etc. Nobody thinks macro. M$ held the whole world back. They're still trying to. It's the lock-in, the lock down, the regression. What they have as GUI could be shipped as part of a bios now. it's nothing, they supplied nothing, they innovated nothing. Shown that, subsequently, in the break-off they are dead in mobile. Where they have to compete, it's found that they can't compete. They are incapable of competing. Why they rely on ignorance, such low level propaganda, even in such places as this.

>What does Jow Forums honestly think of Microsoft and crew?
their a shit show that is outsources all of their programming to shitty indian programmers and the only in-house programming they do is the creation of back doors and security hols paid for the the NSA at the expense of the US taxpayer

they failed to improve their own products

vista, win 10 .. win 7 was just "let's stabilise it" .. we screwed up totally with vista, massively.

so. win 10 metro some "design language" .. they tried to implement off their f*cked NT base of nothing, no language of worth no object system. No pedigree. They try to launch right off massive innovation of gui that takes years, that takes pressure off (xerox engineers given any money, given free rein, given time). Winshit is failure, a failed platform.

their constant re-marketing of a basic gui system that maybe just worked marginally. like 16 bit shit.
It's a company of nothing. As someone stated here. imploding fast, irrelevant. "legacy" .. convoluted base of shit. It's not even 'IBM' its junk.

its AOL.
i laugh, hysterically. I despise the company, despise the brat who wasn't even interested all was about cash, short term - fuck the "users"

the lowest standards in the business. shipping betas, constantly -- they still do.

Why are you talking to yourself?

you mean ppl hold conversations here?

they failed to get a kernel with the failure (2015), the shelving of "midori" which caused intel to break with them. gates inc. never got an independent software base. 'midori' is maybe a larger cash failure than vista. There have been many huge project failures within m$ inc. the kin sold like 10k units. win 6 regressed the telephone etc etc etc. they have the top 5 largest product failures in corporate history. All of them. And now, here we are today. Their platform is a joke. defragging, rebooting, slow, massively bloated. keep marketing it as "the best"

they also destroyed nokia.

destroyed themselves and are now, like every other smartphone maker that isn't apple, just a Chinese brand
this may come as a shock to you but some people actually use an imageboard as it was intended to be used and not just a place to spam inbred rants about god knows what

Attached: perfectsystem.png (500x690, 231K)