why did gnome become the official DE for Ubuntu
it fucking sucks
> it requires high end hardware just to run its shitty animations
> its completely counter-intuitive for new users
> its fucking resource expensive even winshit10 is a more reasonable choice

Why would anyone on earth go with it?

Attached: #29824192.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

Gnome was a solid DE before 3.0.
Nowadays both Gnome and KDE are pieces of shit.
You can still use Gnome 2.0 and KDE 3.0 fine though.

Because before they created Unity, Ubuntu used GNOME, and even Unity is/was a GNOME fork. Canonical probably chose it as the default desktop because they already had experience with it.

I remember using ubuntu 8.04 back in the day and loving it. I use to think "yea this could actually replace windows one day" then gnome 3 and kde 4 came out and i realized the devs where actually mentally handicapped. Wasnt long after that systemd came out and then that was the final straw for me. If im going to use a shitty bloated os that spies on me i might as well use windows and have actual software to use.

GNOME before 3 was actually good.
KDE before 4 was actually good.
Amarok before 2.0 was actually good.
etc.

I haven't used Amarok in a year.
Back then it seemed pretty fine, only problem i had was with the UI being a little hard to adapt to, if that's what you're referring to.

>> it requires high end hardware just to run its shitty animations
maybe back in 2012
>> its completely counter-intuitive for new users
not if they come from android/macOS
>> its fucking resource expensive even winshit10 is a more reasonable choice
what. How about no. Win10 64 idles at 2.5GB, obongo gnome idles at 1.2.

It's still shit tho. I prefer Xfce or Budgie. You need to stop caring about normalfags btw

KDE 5 is pretty good, not sure what you're talking about.

KDE uses about as much memory as Xfce, especially with the compositor disabled. It's a great DE.

>maybe back in 2012
Still does.

nigga a fucken intel hd4000 will run the animations just fine.

>then gnome 3 and kde 4 came out and i realized the devs where actually mentally handicapped.
Yup.

It's far from it's forever glory though.

I stuck with gnome since ages and been using mainly ubuntu for 10 years now. Gave a shot to unity a couple of times but its crap. Gnome is best and as user said. Stop care about normies. Gnome focuses on kb not mouse like shitty unity so you can be more productive.

Attached: 76C9720255CC48F9AFF031BCECCDB68F.jpg (1095x662, 126K)

>> it requires high end hardware just to run its shitty animations
Disable that shit.It's nicer without it.

Just use kubuntu you faggot.

>Gnome focuses on kb not mouse
So does my tiling WM while using a fraction of the memory.

People who hate KDE are people who tried kubuntu.

Install cinnamon mint.
It's what gnome2 should have been.

Attached: No.jpg (1200x630, 275K)

THIS desu

every DE is good. they just suck in different ways

wtf their feet are literally just hands
jesus christ

>KDE before 4 was actually good.
>KDE after 4 is pretty good

Basically avoid Plasma 4 like the plague.

Personally, I'm sold on KDE:
They are working with Sway on Wayland support
They support Server-Side-Decoration rather than Client-Side-Decoration (CSD)

Nope, Gnome3 is universally bad. Every other DE is okay though.

You have access to the internet and yet you have never seen a chimp?

uhh I hate it because even though it has nice recurses usage it fucking sucks when it comes to a DE, why the fuck would I want my keybinds spread over 3 fucking different menus, it just sucks even though is light and fast

>gnome
>good
>mature
>need a terminal to create a fucking file

>gnome focuses on kb
>a resource piece of shit DE
Why a need this shit if i have WM?

>kubuntu
(You)

Using Debian with GNOME on my X61 and it's smooth as hell. Your problem lies with Ubuntu and not GNOME although it is plain to see that GNOME is more taxing on memory than something like LXDE.

Because the jews want indians and women sjw programmers to make the linux desktop landscape unbearable, so windows as a service and macos can rule.

I hate it too. It really sucks that the most used GUI toolkit for Linux is owned by the Gnome project. They just do whatever the fuck they want without much thought for the rest of the linux desktop ecosystem. GTK3 is a huge heap of shit that's caused me no end of headaches and it looks like things will get worse with GTK4.

I really hope that some day, most people will be using Qt and GTK will be used by a minority of linux desktop software developers

>de fucking sucks
>distro fucking sucks

its only right and you know it

linux desktop is shit because linux does not come with a system library due to linus's severe autism.

system library? what do you mean exactly?

Who cares? It's linux. Install whatever you want.

Or are you one of those retards who just uses linux to be "cool" without really understanding how it works?

>be linux user
>get to choose between bloated laggy and crashy DEs
>the alternative is to use a wm that's so primitive and so simple that it literally cannot break
>mfw linux devs literally cannot make a good de

Attached: 5dff4b222dd4b7105030b5f8b45c9c1255a0d927_full.jpg (184x184, 15K)

>be average linux user
>juggling 6 distros weekly because i dont work and have no life and none of them consistently work without random breakage
>have to use the most simplistic primitive piece of shit wm i can find because anything more complex is too hard for linux devs to do right
tfw

>be linux user
>reinstalling my crappy distro for the 8th time this month because of random inexplicable breakage
>finally back at my desktop and can go back to posting my borderline pedo-esque weeb desktop on Jow Forums

what a life

eg win32.

Attached: 1531176227171.jpg (480x360, 21K)