Generic Operating System Thread

Give me an OS to use as a daily driver, Jow Forums. I'm tired of Windows 10's update bullshit, but I'm also opposed to Linux. I'd like to have an OS that retains the feel of the older Windows OSs, that has good emulation capabilities for Windows software, and isn't dead in terms of updates. I've checked out Haiku, but couldn't figure out how to get Windows software working in QEMU.

Attached: 1530511220706.jpg (1280x960, 299K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Gentoo.

Install TempleOS

Attached: 1529520051350.jpg (2184x1692, 992K)

Fuckyou

ReactOS.

Use Windows. It's the only acceptable OS for (you).

t. Ubuntu user since 12 years

windows 10. no, you don't have a choice. yes, linux is absolutely, completely useless and retarded. you can't afford to be apple retarded. go the fuck back to windows you little shit.

Windows 7 my dude.
None of the Windows 10 update bullshit, much better and consistent design, just werks.

What's wrong with that cat girl? what is written on the bottle?

+1. it's a good OS, you will never find anything else quite like it

Install macOS.

What your issue with loonix

this. We need to know. Anyone speak moon runes?

>I'm also opposed to Linux

Linux users are opposed to Elementary OS, is that close enough?

Seriously though, use TrueOS if you have some sort of issue with the Linux kernel

or OpenIndiana if you really want to be a Hipster about it. (see what I did there?)

Maybe Nepeta?

Can we get confirmation. This is important.

Attached: 1530892283358.jpg (308x326, 21K)

It's catnip.

My grandpa has a laptop that he uses to check email and whatnot

It was really slow, so he wants it to be faster, so I am upgrading it with an SSD and RAM

My dad wants to install Windows 10 on it as well, from Windows 7

I think some simple linux distro could be nicer -

Any good recommendations for a linux distro for old people?

Very simple to use, NO configuration, big buttons and whatnot. EASY.

Debian stable with xfce.

Windows 10.

Windows 10 locked down with S mode.

this

Why Microsoft keep updating my PC???? I want big security bug me no want patches

According to my N-chaika-level knowledge of moonrunes, it says matatabi(tsu?) (マタタビツ).
Here's the Wikipedia dump:
>Silver vine (also called matatabi) has long been known to elicit euphoric response in cats.It is the most popular cat treat in Asia, thus sometimes cited in manga as matatabi.The reaction to silver vine is similar to the catnipresponse, but appears to be more intense.Silver vine is a great alternative to catnip, and many cats who are immune to catnip will respond positively to silver vine powder made from dried fruit galls.Typical behaviors include rolling, chin and cheek rubbing, drooling, and licking. The effect usually lasts between five and 30 minutes, and cats will usually visit silver vine again after about 20–30 minutes.
So basically he's drugging his cat girl, supposedly for depraved purposes.

The thing I dislike the most about Linux is how most components come from different sources, and are not meant to work together. There's little coherence.

Patches are fine, just don't force them on me like Windows 10 does. I'd much rather have a product than a service for an OS.

Use Manjaro gnome with a side dock arch themed, or use react os.

I wish that were my gf.

I wanted to get my grandpa into Linux though

He needs to use free software

Then use the set of components that are meant to work together and work together well without tinkering (probably helps if they are the defaults), assuming that linux with that would be viable to you. For instance Linux Mint, ElementaryOS, and Zorin all have a default set that work together very well.
>inb4 Mint and Zorin are for brainlets
Sure but its a very good and very calm for beginners.

What software do you need from Windows to be happy?

Also probably should elaborate. The default DE you would want to choose in those said systems is Cinnamon, KDE, or GNOME (MATE if your computwr is lower power) for Mint then the defaults for ElementaryOS (pantheon?) And Zorin (I dont know the name of the DE)

A-user, that's really sweet of you to say.....

Attached: __hoshizora_rin_and_sonoda_umi_love_live_and_love_live_school_idol_project_drawn_by_hana_ichi_hanaic (850x984, 130K)

Windows 7
linux fags take a hike and go down the block.

android can be used on a desktop you fucking gimp

>My grandpa has a laptop that he uses to check email and whatnot
>It was really slow, so he wants it to be faster, so I am upgrading it with an SSD and RAM
>My dad wants to install Windows 10 on it as well, from Windows 7
>I think some simple linux distro could be nicer -
>Any good recommendations for a linux distro for old people?
>Very simple to use, NO configuration, big buttons and whatnot. EASY.
Linux Mint is good

Linux Mint or Ubuntu, maybe Fedora will give you fewest issues. Gentoo if you want to go through the gauntlet

ANIME IS A FUCKING CANCER
KILL
YOU'RE
SELF

>mfw I can't fug my cat after drugging it with magic powder
fund catgirls now

Attached: me.jpg (500x429, 23K)

you have to go back

Install MacOS and piss off!

Windows 7.

You should probably try another site. You're not going to enjoy your time here, and how you ever expected to on a site that uses little anime girls as its mascots is real mystery.

Manjaro is literally the most stable and most hassle-free Linux flavour out there!

But, since OP specifically excludes Linux when consiering alternatives for whatever reason, I guess you're stuck with React OS.

>ReactOS is a Free Community Opensource Collaborative Compatible Free operating system.
>Imagine running your favorite Windows applications and drivers in an open-source environment you can trust. That's ReactOS. Not just an Open but also a Free operating system.

Attached: firefox.png (1204x800, 584K)

You'll embrace the penguin sooner or later, OP.

Attached: 900_755922jfjv_linux-tux-penguin-cake.jpg (900x675, 169K)

Isn't ReactOS the javascript based OS though? And does it have a package manager like linux distros? Or a package browser like Mac? Or is it up to the user like Slackware or Windows?

Your only option is Windows then.

You have Unix-like and you have Windows. They're different breeds.

Doots for Manjaro. I really loved it when I ran that

Manjaro is garbage. All distros are garbage. Despite all of w10's issues it's STILL more usable than fucking linux, Linux is a joke.

>Isn't ReactOS the javascript based OS though?
Their repo seems to be 88% C, some C++ and traces of build scripts.

>And does it have a package manager like linux distros? Or a package browser like Mac? Or is it up to the user like Slackware or Windows?
I don't really know if they have a package manager, but whoever wants the authentic Windows experience, must commit to download random EXE installers from shady websites. Updates are done manually, or every program ships with its own update watcher (Remember the Java Update notifier popping up twice a day). You can also try to run the Chocolatey package manager for Windows.

>Doots for Manjaro. I really loved it when I ran that
Nice that you had a good experience! Why aren't you running it any more?

>Manjaro is garbage. All distros are garbage. Despite all of w10's issues it's STILL more usable than fucking linux, Linux is a joke.
Nice exhaustive arguments, bro! The Moon is flat. All moons are flat! Despite of the Earth's issues, it's STILL more round than fucking moon, Moon is a joke.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-7-12 reactos reactos.png (1024x702, 89K)

Linux sucks, trueos sucks and macos sucks. The only way to work with linux is to build it yourself (like arch/gentoo) so it is easier to pick up the pieces when it inevitibly breaks for random reasons because thats what linux does because its garbage

What are you going to do when it breaks for no reason randomly? this isn't stack overflow, you can't just call him an idiot and pretend the issue doesn't exist, as linux users are like to do.

Wait, what's wrong with Win7?

If he wants a PC, just do both of you a favor and get him a Mac since nothing else is going to be easier. If he wants any computer, an iPad is probably even easier to not screw up.

>studio i works at tries to install ubuntu on a bunch of its computers
>most of them broken in under a day, more complaining than when we switched from w7 to w10

nice os

win7 is CUTE

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 2.3M)

win10 ltab it doesn't force the updates. you could try win 7 or 8.1 I think 7 is trash after going back to it a couple months ago to test out so go with 10 ltsb it's just win 10 without the bloat

Nothing, but it's going to be outdated in a while.

No, it's not.
kys dumb attention whoring anime pedo faggot

Attached: 1472651649155.jpg (380x254, 22K)

How do I force the Debian netinst to only use free drivers?

Don't click non-free or contrib repos.
By default it's foss drivers.

You can have a dick in your ass and your soul in heaven
Life is a game of compromises, use whatever suits your needs, temporary or permanently.

Can't*

but I'm also opposed to Linux
Then continue to use fucking windows, you have clearly no intention of putting in effort to learn something different, so literally the only option you have is continue using Windows or spend a few thousand bucks on a Mac.

>The thing I dislike the most about Linux is how most components come from different sources, and are not meant to work together. There's little coherence.
Yes, that will be the case for all non commercial operating systems, because that is the point.

So either you suck a companies cock, or you don't, I don't blame you for either, but you have to make a choice.

It's the default, at least when I was installing it the non free repos weren't enabled, check that.

I'm using the netinst and it seems to automatically grab them without giving me a say.
The non-free ones were giving me these same issues on manjaro if I had them selected.

Attached: 10682624.png (1024x946, 179K)

I know how to use Linux, but I'm still not a fan of it as a desktop operating system.

>I'm using the netinst and it seems to automatically grab them without giving me a say.
I reinstalled Debian 9 a week or so ago using the netinst installer and am pretty sure that I had only the free repos enabled in my sources.list.

What is in your sources.list?
And what package is being installed?

Okay, my second point still stands, you want something that doesn't exist.

Either you get you unified OS from a company or you get your hacked together mess from the open source community.

Where specifically can I find the list for the installer?

Which means that non-free isn't enabled and only software compliant with debian.org/social_contract#guidelines is available.

wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

What would be causing the issues then.
As I said with manjaro I got the same issues, for instance, refresh rate setting in the display settings only showing the options 0 and auto, only when I set the installer to use non-free drivers.

>What would be causing the issues then.
Which issues?

>with manjaro
No clue, I don't know what they do with their drivers.

Things like not handling the display properly.
It's a 144Hz display.
If Manjaro does such a good job with drivers there's no good reason not to take after them

Attached: df5.jpg (600x600, 32K)

>If Manjaro does such a good job with drivers there's no good reason not to take after them
Debian has a strict distinction between free and non free packages, you shouldn't be using Debian if you aren't prepared to figure out these things yourself, which is the point of the distro.
Use Ubuntu if you don't want to deal with such things.

>Things like not handling the display properly.
Maybe an issue with the driver itself? Or X being X.