What Linux distro does Jow Forums use?

What Linux distro does Jow Forums use?

Attached: index.jpg (207x244, 6K)

Install Gentoo.

/thread

Crux, is cool

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Jow Forums, is in fact, boards.Jow Forums.org/g/, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, boards.Jow Forums.org plus Jow Forums. Jow Forums is not an anime website unto itself, but rather another and so on.

gentoo was too frustrating. so i installed Elementary

this one, its the best one

Attached: screenFetch-2018-07-11_17-05-10.png (1920x1080, 1.82M)

Jow Forums as in this board and the anons using it, if you don't get the reference you clearly don't spend any time on Jow Forums or /b/.

This wasn't a cry of "someone please pick what Linux to use", rather I was more interested in a tally of what the users on this board are using.

Liking the choice of hardware here, as well as the distribution. Very Nice.

How well is your hardware running on that kernel?
Are you running slackware-current or 14.2?
I have a Ryzen2400G and the damn thing doesn't work properly even with rc kernels.

Cloveros

Moved from Debian Testing to Tumbleweed a couple weeks ago. So far so good, even got printer drivers working.

I use Debian Sid.

dxvc

lubuntu

>you clearly don't spend any time on Jow Forums or /b/
>somehow a bad thing

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1507690282544.jpg (736x501, 96K)

Ubuntu

Attached: Ubuntu-logo.png (450x450, 10K)

Gentoo. DE varies.

Attached: 1530384285200.png (247x250, 59K)

Why though?

I use Arch btw

Attached: Screenshot_20180712_024105.png (759x473, 219K)

Are the memes true or is it a good distro? Just curious

Attached: 1531097858928.png (650x4377, 871K)

i currently just took a class on Linux (mostly Fedora and Kali) and I really do want to use it as my main driver, but, there aren't many uses (for me anyways) outside of work and school

(my main pc is mostly for gaming with friends anyways)

Raspbian and Android

Attached: 2018-04-14-160615_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.52M)

fuck you, i like it

Attached: logo.png (48x43, 3K)

Arch pretty unstable on the other side using linux gives you more options for server or os architecture and manipulating

just use antergos or manjaro and see if you like it fag. they're arch but with easier installation.

KDE Neon

Why don't you referring Bell Labs then you pleb? it's Bell/gnu/Linux

Even though Arch bundles packages to get the package count look smaller, I wouldn't ask advice from anyone that doesn't have at least over 1k packages in Arch and maybe double that in Debian-based systems. Any distro will work great if it's practically just a skeleton, there's not much that can break. The real test comes after installing a wide range of software and checking if the system can handle that of if something breaks. Different distros install different versions of packages that they assume are safe at that time.

It's okay user, you're not alone.

Void Linux is the best thing that ever happened to Linux

Slackware and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)

op of this post here

what else can i do on Linux (fedora or kali) that i may not have learned from class

pic related - it's what we learned over the summer

Attached: Clipboard02.png (958x730, 64K)

don't forget that linus studied minix

Bell^Unix/Minix/Gnu/Linux

oh wait also don't forget DARPA and Xerox

DARPA/Bell^Unix/Xerox/Minix/Gnu/Linux

Looks super duper basic to me.

Answer: anything.

Windows 10

well you can shell script on windoze or any of the BSDs or basically anything, too. it's not really like "you can do things on Linux you can't do on other OSes"...

however Linux is comparitively _good_ for certain things, like i would argue that coding is better to do in linux because the bleeding-edge development packages come out the quickest in the unix-family universe. and unlike macOS you don't need to fuck around with xcode

linux is also much better for running a web server than windoze imo

i run windows on my main pc at home and fedora/kali on my laptop that i bring with me to work and school. On my laptop i'm usually just coding in python/java or some kind of pentesting. i only really use the terminal and sublime text in my day to days with linux desu

Congratulations.

m-manjaro

Just use either arch or Gentoo.

One gets you meme points one gets you actual free time

Both are shit tho.

One's for pedophiles the others for dicklets.

Kubuntu 18.04, it just works and I like to get shit done

ITT: bloat

Attached: scrot.png (1024x768, 904K)

unironically gentoo
the initial install takes a long time yeah, but there's no other distro like it. I keep the base system stable, unmask any applications I want to have more updated. shit just DOES NOT break

Arch is the perfect distro for people who have literally nothing going on in their lives. They have to waste their time fixing their broken distro or else they would notice that something is wrong.

If you fit in this category, you'll love arch. If not, you'll hate it after is breaks and you either give up or waste days to fix something that just works on any other distro.

I have had good experiences with Gentoo. Got it up and it would never let me down. Then my HDD let me down and the snapshot I had backed up, was too old for Portage to use. Thing went haywire. I might install it again when I feel I have the time to burn.

Debian Sid

Minimal install

linux mint 19
>the community support of debian and ubuntu
>the application support from anybody who knows linux exists aka video game optimization and package availability
>V-Sync out of the box
>not retarded and slow like previous versions

Debian 9 stable minimal install on thinkpad x200
>meme

Mint has their own outdated packages and other cancerous extras

Attached: lel.png (1024x768, 81K)

mac Os, because im not a poorfag

Sucks to be stupid though, doesn't it

debian because debian is cute and i'm a cute boy! >.

Fedora 28 Workstation because I'm not autistic enough for rolling release and need packages from the last millennium.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-11 22.31.04.png (1366x768, 929K)

This

what would you recommended? that half distro debian that mis-lables a certain version as containing nonfree packages when it doesn't? or the Totally Secure I Swear Guys Arch with the reliance AUR?
the next closest distro that met the standards I had when picking a distro (stable, with as few comparability issues as possible, has an XFCE flavor, and good community support) was centOS. it only lost out due to optimization issues with games and the tedious necessity for creating an XORG.CONF file to fix vsync.

mac fags are cult fags

I also use fedora 28.

Go back to your containment boards.

>Uptime: 2min
Nice VM, fag

>>/lgbt/

I've been using Manjaro for over a month now. My first time using Linux too.

Pretty good, but I don't really feel a great need to switch. People complain about many distros having bloat but the system itself uses less than ~120MiB of ram before launching any programs. Most of my RAM is left to Firefox to eat. The package system seems to suit me just fine too.

From here I guess I'd switch to pure Arch, Void, or Gentoo. But again, I see no reason to switch. Not to mention those distros are harder/annyoing to install even though they could just as easily be as painless as Manjaro to install. There really is no reason not to copy it.

I was using Fedora 27 on my old dell latitute and now I've been using manjaro on my t420.
So far, no complaints. Thing just worked out of the box, I just riced i3 a little and it's fine.
Maybe i'll switch to void linux cuz a classmate of mine actually contributes to that project.

Attached: 1529980695831.jpg (1179x810, 138K)

Please ask your classmate if he can get sayonara-player in the void repo.

> tfw someone claims 8000$ multi-purpose PC setup poorfag setup because of distro
god, why the Earth even hold these retards.

For me it's Arch and Ubuntu.

yes

KDE Neon

Attached: Screenshot_20180710_214800.png (1440x900, 1.11M)

gentoo

Void Linux.

post wallpaper please

These memes are true. Arch users love to lick their own arses. Will be okay if they keep themselves in their contaiment place.

But usually these guys jump out and offer windows users their unstable and unneccesarly complex OS. So windows users never touch linux again.

Attached: 1530530992805.jpg (1024x1017, 83K)

What Linux?

Attached: purpsun.png (1920x1080, 189K)

MX Linux

Gentoo's the best framework for setting up your own custom Linux installation. As an added benefit, once you've got it up and running, it's smooth sailing - installing Gentoo may take some effort, but maintaining it is damn easy.

Attached: 1526799897351.jpg (540x393, 15K)

>I want to compile shit all day.

I rather use xubuntu or even Debian.

Leave fat fuck.

i use windows 10

Debian. Use it at home and in an enterprise soe and it's never let me down. Worst case is I need something and cheat taking a package from lolbuntu and have to feel unclean for the day.

use one as my NAS. I love linux.

Attached: server.jpg (1151x644, 81K)

It's just a meme. Arch user since 3 years, never ha a problem

linux for gnu/negroes

This, including the pic.

>IceWM
>79MB
All praise IceWM

I don't use any - my trashcan uses all of them.

Kubuntu

Attached: kde-plasma-multi-clipboard.png (583x497, 178K)

>KDE
THIS 100%

GNU/Linux.
Stop posting the kernel logo.

*tips*

Attached: stallman-interject.png (278x295, 84K)

MXlinux

Guix SD

I use Arch linux.

Don't really like the lack of packages, but I'm using Manjaro.

That's a real distribution, man.
That's current

Fedora