Linux distro 4 poorfag laptop

be user
laptop 7 years old
try to install some bluetooth drivers
resulted in numerous bsods
got fed of windows shit
looking 4 linux distro which won't my laptop fan prepare for the next Apollo mission
gut sum experience with linux, much like advanced noob

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5l39tz/linux_distros_ram_consumption_comparison_updated/
asus.com/Laptops/K53SM/specifications/
bunsenlabs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>laptop 7 years old
that's nothing, i got this 11yo laptop running win7 and it just works

got 8 years old dell latitude, the ubuntu mate works good. Even bluetooth driver and keyboard leds are fine

Go for one of the major distros, Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE

you mean gnu/linux right?

heard about this, dunno if it's just a meme or what's up

I also used win7 with some heavy tuning(like the windows 98 look, no bloat services, only the bare minimum)

mint with XFCE
the lightweight xfce environment and the official and community support of ubuntu and the bonus of program devs knowing your OS exists

Post laptop make, model, and specs please.
What distros, if any, have you used in the past?
What do you use the laptop for?

Attached: Question-Mark-768x465.jpg (768x465, 63K)

arch, follow the wiki. Install mate or i3

Slackware Puppy Linux
I've got it on a early-2000's laptop and it actually works real well.

I'd highly reccomend Lubuntu, a light version of ubuntu if you are planning on trying to bring something old back to life. I'm using it on an old dell laptop that has a Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu T7100 @1.8 GHz, with 1021 MB Ram

sadly, mate isnt the light de it was when it started. now it runs 700mib doing nothing on a fresh boot.

wouldnt openbox with tint2 be even lighter?

It looks like it could be with enough tweaking, possibly

How do you think Lubuntu will run with a 2010 Atom laptop?

You may find this useful: reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5l39tz/linux_distros_ram_consumption_comparison_updated/

Attached: 2019-Ram-1500-Rebel-rear-03.jpg (1360x903, 442K)

I don't know as well as openbox and tint2? That's basically all it is + basic utilities.

Xubuntu works great on my 10 year old ThinkPad

Attached: xubuntu.png (600x500, 35K)

>Post laptop make, model, and specs please.
asus.com/Laptops/K53SM/specifications/ What distros, if any, have you used in the past?
Windows 7/10, Ubuntu, Debian, Kali, CentOS

>What do you use the laptop for?
well, for daily use like browsing, some programming and some pentesting while running 1 maybe 2 vms

This. If you know about ricing I would advice Devuan, but otherwise Lubuntu is a good choice.

>i5 one with 8 gigs of RAM
>not enough for Linux
Put whatever distro you want nigger, I have seen much much worse running Kubuntu.

Too retarded to use wangblows
Thinks linux will be easier
What could go wrong?

>that's a poorfag laptop
I have a Thinkpad t510 with 4GB of RAM and it runs Linux just fine. Pick whatever distro you want

7 years old is nothing
> Running 10 year old librebooted x200, C2D, 6Gb ram.
> Void Linux + i3
> Everything runs fine, even with 10+ tabs open in qutebrowser

So many of these types at Uni
> Alienware gaymer laptop
> Windows 10
> Games all over the desktop
> Trying to learn CS
> "Because you need a powerful computer to write code right?"
> mfw none of these guys have any clue what they're doing
> mfw they can't prof. makes everyone use linux mint
> mfw they can't quit nano
> mfw they can barely use gedit

To be fair, at the base level, Linux is much easier to manage, and dare I say use, then wangblows.

bunsenlabs.org/ or just learn how to do a Debian install.

If it’s really that bad you can try puppy Linux but i doubt you need it, I’d go for a minimal Debian install

Got a Vostro 1000 running KDE Neon, runs just fine.

Void with windowmaker for comfy minimalism.

>can't quit nano
people are actually that retarded? holy shit

>i5-2450
>8 GB RAM
>calls it a poorfag laptop

Run whatever you want. You've tried multiple distros already, so you're no noob.

Use Debian or Kali again. Or try Arch. For light desktop environments, consider XFCE, MATE, LXDE.

Even better, go for a tiling window manager like i3, awesomeWM, or BSPWM.

Good day, sir.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1531424728157.jpg (655x480, 36K)