Are higher level programming languages harder or more important that lower level languages since the level is more...

Are higher level programming languages harder or more important that lower level languages since the level is more? What is the highest level language I can learn? Will learning high level languages maximize my celery?

Attached: 648e1c6ef538052ef352654afb165b5293d65373.jpg (540x356, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3b24Q8Bz7b4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hebrew, it's the highest you can get, both technically and spiritually

Why are those cocks black colored?

Performance/watt is now the most important thing in "real" programming to keep costs down. Low level programming is in more demand than ever.

Legit answer here. In terms of usefulness, high level languages generally exist to abstract the hardware specifics on the platforms its programs can run on. For example, if you were to write an Android app to just display the camera feed it would be able to run on virtually any device running any Android version equal to or higher than the API you used.

Same with Java/JVM programs - one build of one source can run on any system running the right version of JRE/JDK.

Lower level languages, like C for example, do not abstract nearly as much of the underlying system or hardware. Best example of this is the heap and memory management - the programmer has to manually allocate memory for certain things such as data buffers, use pointers to reference them, and eventually free the allocated memory. That's not to say C doesn't abstract anything - the C standard library exists to provide methods to manage memory, access the filesystem, provide data types and methods to work with them, etc.

Then you get to assembly where you are literally just passing the CPU instructions.

Anyway, a lot of people see low level languages like C more efficient than high level languages because the abstraction creates unecessary bloat. That's only half true - lower level languages generally require the programmer to write more complex code, whether to support more platforms/systems or just because they have to handle certain things manually, so something simple like reading a text file and printing its contents would be more complex in C than in, say, Python. As the program being written gets more and more complex, the more likely it is that bugs and instability get introduced, and the less of the hardware that is abstracted the easier it is for that instability to cause issues with other parts of the system.

Honestly regardless of what language you're using you should still at least somewhat understand how the libraries work and what your code is doing.

lower lever doesn't mean harder, assembly is shitty easy as fuck but only a bunch of people understands haskell which is very high level.

> the programmer has to manually allocate memory
>Then you get to assembly where you are literally just passing the CPU instructions.
> low level languages like C more efficient than high level languages because the abstraction creates unecessary bloat.

You have no fucking idea about what you are talking about since there is high level assembly and not all assemblers targets a CPU.

>on any system running the right version of JRE/JDK.
GOTCHA

disagree.

higher level languages allow you to do harder computing tasks with fewer lines of code (pretty much that's what they're for). so that makes them "easier"

take C as an example of a lower-level language, instead of asm. you can tell the machine exactly what to do, in a sort of "easy" way, but try to do something like solve a symbolic equation (like y=x^2 -1 ), and you're fucked. mathematica or python+sympy make it super easy.

>try to do something like solve a symbolic equation (like y=x^2 -1 ), and you're fucked
are we going to pretend that programming the basic rules of algebra are that difficult?

>low level languages like C more efficient than high level languages because the abstraction creates unecessary bloat
keked

please point me to the source code for a symbolic math library written in C or Fortran or asm...

there's a reason Mathematica is proprietary and why sympy is written in python

is this part of a conspiracy to waste my time proving random shit to strangers on the internet?

Attached: ngr.png (612x1005, 52K)

i said something that solves it _symbolically_.
>DOUBLE PRECISION
your pic related is obviously numerical and only gives approximate solutions.

>gnu bison (c)
>used for matheval(also c)
at one point that was supposed to have functional parity to mathematica. There's also the matter of fact that you don't have to go very far down in the application stack of any of these other commercial math programs to find c++

High level langs are actually harder. There are more things you can do with them. I'm not sure why not just learn both.

is that a Jew nose factory?

gnu bison is not a symbolic math library, it's a parser for strings

matheval:
>Last Update: 2013-01-09
C is just the wrong language for symbolic math. maybe you could do it in C++ (apparently that's how Wolfram/Mathematica does it) but the leading OSS solution is sympy. clearly high-level languages win in this department.

I didn't say people should write their own interpreter in C, you just wanted an example of one and matheval certainly fits. I mention it using gnu bison because it's also in C.

Not the guy you're replying to but
>reddit spacing
>autistic tantrum over a minor, unimportant detail being described somewhat inaccurately
>hurrrrr everything you said is wrong, ur just too stupid to understand low level languages and compilers like me because I took 1 year of CS in college B)
Shut the fuck up Poindexter, you don't know shit.

Diversity

youtu.be/3b24Q8Bz7b4

((()))

>Are higher level programming languages harder or more important that lower level languages since the level is more?
Sure, why not, Pajeet.
>What is the highest level language I can learn?
COBOL
>Will learning high level languages maximize my celery?
Probably some bank will pay you mucho dorrah to keep their legacy mainframe running.

אני מאשר