Do electronic recyclimg centers let you buy their stuff

Attached: 220px-Ewaste-pile.jpg (220x293, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sometimes you can buy
Sometimes they want you to pay
Sometimes they don't want you touching any of the shit

Just depends, go and try

This. Just be sure to avoid mentioning you want hard drives. They usually have a policy that ensures they keep the data safe from third parties to prevent identity theft and the like. Otherwise they may call the police on you.

I used to work at one. We checked ebay prices for things that came in and resold anything of worth on our ebay shop. Cool vintage stuff, much to my dismay, often couldn't be saved from recycling because the shipping + labor costs of shipping didn't give us a large enough margin after sale.

>Otherwise they may call the police on you.
Just asking is a punishable offense?
Seems unlikely, but you never really know with boomer mentalities.

Only worth it if you know it's working. Otherwise they're literal trash and only good for decorative purposes or parts.

>decorative purposes
I think we've arrived at some sort of conclusion here

>often couldn't be saved from recycling because the shipping + labor costs of shipping didn't give us a large enough margin after sale.
Don't you fucking get it for free? What kind of vintage stuff was it?

Shipping heavy shit costs a lot. The average analog oscilloscope costs like $20-50 to ship somewhere in the US.

Most of the times no, they usually have some guy sitting around to make sure you don't take anything

I work at a scrap place and always take the hardrives home and plug them in haven't found anything cool

There's one near me that just had a place outside a storage center to dump shit.
I've thrown a few things back in my car when I've dropped stuff off. Ended up "returning" most of it.

Kek customers always ask if they can take some garbage home and i say go for it man we will be sure to charge you again when you bring it back

A mate of mine works at one - they aren't allowed to sell their shit, but he's found a bunch of neat stuff over the years including a perfectly fine NES with like 50 games and a perfectly fine 22" 75Hz CRT Monitor.

Do people really pay to get their shit recycled?
I always just store up what I have and wait for one of the two days a year my city has a free ewaste event.

>Sometimes you can buy
>Sometimes they want you to pay
that's the same thing, you idiot

i'll be sure to wire my trash drives so they fuck up PSUs for people like you
thing is, i've never had a drive die on me

Doing god’s work user

Attached: 0944917A-3720-4676-B273-41602B65EC21.jpg (2560x1440, 131K)

the same thing with different implications

Wait how does that work? We don't have that in my country.

I bought used ddr4 off ebay from an electronic recycling center. I have in in my workstation right now it it works great.

Attached: neo.png (961x588, 85K)

>asking vague, generalized questions
God I hate summerfags. What a recycler does and does not do is entirely up to each shop. My local recycler is owned and staffed entirely by veterans. They offer to sell anything they have to costumers, just pay what the chinese company that buys all the electronics does. It my case I get computer parts from them for 45cents per pound.

ty user, I love that pic.

All the UK recycling centres with ebay shops over price everything by a long way. If you're UK...fuck you. Stop monitoring the ebay prices people are asking for and start looking at the prices they sell for in auction.

Twice a year my city sets up a few places you can drop off your electronic trash, stuff that can't go in the standard recycling bin for your house, free of charge. You just drive up and they take it from you.
I guess technically it's not completely free, I assume some tax is spent at least setting up the signs around town to tell everyone when and where. That all could be provided by the companies taking the electronics though.

Is it not allowed to just throw it in the trash?

Depends on what it is. Anything with any mercury in it is not allowed, there's something else that I don't remember too. Like keyboards and mice are probably fine but monitors aren't allowed. Generally it's just not advised.
I'll admit though. I've gotten lazy and dumped a few things away in the trash. No one's going to go after you, or really even know, unless you dump a large office's worth of shit.

I threw a whole bag full of electronics that 99% had mercury in them (cadmium batteries as well) and nobody even found who did it. It must at least have been 50-60kgs of old bullshit. (not XT or anything else, mostly P4 era)

>threadripper on a 4.9 LTS kernel
I thought Zen cores weren't happy until a few versions after that. What's going on here anyway, I literally just upgraded and rebooted and I have 9.4 on 4.9.0-6

Where are you supposed to throw PCBs, are they fine in the regular trash?

I want to recycle some of the old useless crap i have around like faxes/keyboards by first gathering most of the useful components of the PCB - switches, ICs, caps, resistors etc. But im not sure about the boards themselves - the substrate is mostly fiberglass and some sort of resin from what i can tell, is that fine to throw away?

i use the stretch-backports repo as well as stretch-updates. that way i keep stable while keepin with those hot new compiler versions.
i've also had no problems with multi-thread parallelism. i write quite a bit of parallel C++ for work (thats why I bought the threadripper. I wanted to be able to work from home when i feel like it.) and all the thread scaling works perfectly.

The EPA dug out a local landfill and found hundreds of barrels of toxic chemicals buried deep down. Somebody made a lot of money providing that service.
The barrels were rusting and leaking into the groundwater (which is how they were found), which fed a tributary of the local river system.

Back around 2004 I use to visit my local one and everything was £2-£5, the staff would just quote you a price on the spot. Found a Sega CD there which just needed a diode replaced which is now worth £70. Bought a lot of old monitors, desktops, printers and consoles + games from there until my parents god mad at all the crap I was buying. I've also been fortunate to be able to go into a scrap yard (they only let you in under special circumstances). All tech was salvaged in a building and there were piles of old desktops and consoles, it was a literal goldmine. A guy I worked with said he saw a boxed Atari there once in one of the piles.

But yeah, ebay has ruined everything now. They know people are looking for a bargin and are pricing everything with the overinflated online prices. I just dumpster dive now and try to get it before it heads off to the recycling centres. It's risky but can pay off, I've found stuff worth hundreds like RAM and motherboards.

>But yeah, ebay has ruined everything now. They know people are looking for a bargin and are pricing everything with the overinflated online prices. I just dumpster dive now and try to get it before it heads off to the recycling centres. It's risky but can pay off, I've found stuff worth hundreds like RAM and motherboards.
Did they ever catch you dumpster diving and charge for the thing you've found?

What the fuck is wrong with the compression of the pic.

Attached: 1531384539796.jpg (2560x1440, 1.11M)

Just looked up my local recycling center. They actually sell theirs online. Pic related.

Attached: 559_2065491674.jpg (605x454, 56K)

I usually take a bottle of vodka or a box of candies with me when I go, depending on who it is, I gift them it and ask to load on some of their things in return.

That's okay, I've got boxes full of chinese USB to SATA/PATA bridges

Check en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

Two things:

a) I don't live near any water source (meaning river, lake or anything like that) so it's unlikely to happen.

b) I don't live in Japan.

>ebay has ruined everything now
Yeh, Youtube hasn't made anything better. All the retro tech channels out there have done nothing but help to drive up the prices. I swear core 2 duo era machines have started going up in price these days. It's all a piss take.

What kind of drives do you get? SATA, SAS, IDE?

This is the kind of shit my local recycling place does. A god damn molex adapter for £18/$20. I avoid all those places like the plague these days.

Attached: 2018-07-12 14 37 37.jpg (1019x434, 185K)

We have one back home that is really good. They have accounts with all the local tech firms and get all kinds of good shit in. I built my E6520 from that place, bought the upgraded parts and have been rocking it since. Some of the stuff for my Threadripper build came from that store, the 90's beige ATX server case it's in, some of the wiring inside, many of the server grade fans and their tech let me come in and set it all up and build it in their tech area, since I worked there years ago.

They sell anything of value in house, scrap what they can't sell and eBay anything of high value. I found both of my Thinkpads there too.

A lot of shit that get "recycled" is really just resold on ebay, etc. Unless it's not worth it then it gets scrapped. There are a few people that do scraping in my town and they mostly want electronics and computers so they can resell them. These people most likely don't have real jobs that they have to pay taxes.

>3.5" SATA+IDE:
>160GB 6 EUR
>200GB 10 EUR
>250GB 11 EUR
>300GB 12 EUR
>500GB 15 EUR
>1000GB 22 EUR
>comes cheaper in bulk

ya run any recovery software?

Those wouldn't sound too bad for throwing into a raid storage for home use. I always liked the idea of having a limited LAN media center and a HDD archive for my parents, just so they can store their music and photos on.

Nobody would charge me for anything as it's essentially trash to them. The problem is security and Police thinking you're about to rob a place.

Hehe, here where I live there are car boot sales every Sunday.

Imagine how I feel when someone offers me a whole box of boards (untested) for cheap. It was fun when I could still find Socket 7, Slot 1/A and Socket 370 boards that way, now it's just late 462, 478 and LGA775. Dang it.

Lucky bastard. There's a weekend flea market thing like that near me. I went once, out of over a hundred people with tables set up not one of them had any computer equipment at all. The closest there was was some chucklefuck with some tiny LCD TVs, a chink-shit DVD player, and some crappy stereo stuff.

Just yesterday I was given a van-load of E-waste from a tech repair store in my area for free. He even drove it to my house. Right now I tested to see if the Dell OptiPlex GX1 and Dell monitor he gave me works... and indeed it does! But no mouse and keyboard. I'll have to get them.

It's running Windows 2000 Professional. I haven't used Windows 2000 in an eon. Can someone tell me what I can do on it? What classic games can I play? And should I keep it or resell online? They are both in great cosmetic condition.

Attached: 3348284535_00cb26990d_b.jpg (1024x768, 560K)

>Optiplex GX1
You lucky son of a gun. I had one of these for a lot of years. Was sluggish with XP but not a single crash, heh.

Seeing as you run 2000 (I hope it's SP4), keep it. You have a ATI Rage Pro (4MB) on an AGP bus. You can run most DOS games and some 3D games that don't require a lot of VRAM. (NFS5 will work too. I tested that myself.)

Just imagine all the old IBM/DELL keyboards etc with buckling springs, Alps etc that was crushed to pieces by a low brainpower workforce that was oblivious to the value. .

Attached: 1531321840245.png (500x500, 121K)

google the place and see if they have an ebay site or a website that you can buy or sell or just call them and see if they got anything worth selling.

Now imagine how many are left and rotting somewhere for someone to find and break as a science experiment or all the places crushing then down, and you won't have any of them

And it's this that drives the price of remaining units up further and further. As more are destroyed the ones that remain become increasingly rare.