Need job experience in the industry to get a job in the industry

>need job experience in the industry to get a job in the industry
wtf do i do

Attached: IMG_1744.png (671x519, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17062782
nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unpaid internships, or get a mcjob and hope they don't require 5 years experience in whatever skill you don't have.

internship

or be a bottom of the barrel code monkey for a year or two, then move up

>follow employees home from their jobs
>figure out where they hang out
>go there and make friends with them
>get recs

I just applied with examples of my work instead of being a lazy fuck.

That doesn't work.

> (You)
>That doesn't work.
Says the jobless neet.

I did a 6 month internship and then the company offered me an associate programmer position.

>can't get an internship cause gpa is shit
what do?

Attached: 1490850828925.png (700x700, 270K)

oh dont worry do you have any projects?
>derp no
mmm.. do you know code or something?
>yeh derp learn js and html derp..
great! So what do you know about js or html
>know lot derp know to do tabels and >stuff with functions like pro derp
well so let me get that straight you cant find job cuz you dont have job before but what let you think you can manage a job without any exp?
>trust me derp im good bro im like hacker
>yo derp

Tell yourself "I AM THE INDUSTRY".

>says the jobless
Well obviously. Not a neet though. All the goddamn HR fucks insist on requiring work experience.

>life is shit
>grades drop
>cant get intership because grades dropped
>cant get job because no internships
>endup unemployed and depressed

>pajeet has all of those from Durkaloo University >Takes your white woman

> had a 2.5 GPA
> apply at position anyways
> get interview
> slam interview, get hired on so quickly I don't even walk for graduation

and that's how I make $90,000 two years out of college

Just lie. You know how people say "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"? That's what they mean. You can't get any experience without having any experience, so you need to "bootstrap" yourself by faking your initial experience. Then you learn on the job, acquire real experience, and become employable.

What do you say when they ask why your gpa is shit?

>90,000
Enjoy being a poorfag

this happened to me
I couldn't stay awake in a single class, homework was piling up, had to work full time, etc.

This. How do you think all these """microsoft certified""" brainless Pajeets made it in? If you can't beat em, join em.

No one cares about GPA. They are about real tangible results.

"I was young and care free back then"

I was working a retail job to afford textbooks and shit and I was honest about that. I had to work to help put myself through college and that was literally my answer. To be fair, I had also done a lot of work on the side..I understood Docker, C# (which is what I applied for but I am now a Node.js/React dev), etc.

You have to know what you're doing. No one will train you. I did really well in the interview, and the company took a risk on me. Now, granted I do really well at my job and I am soon going to have a team under me but the point is as long as you know your shit your GPA is irrelevant. It's literally a dick measuring contest on automated application forms.

>got FANG internship

Feels comfy lads

Depends on where you come from
Here in SA most jobs are based on shady recommendations, especially those on the public sector

how does someone on an unpaid internship do things like eat?

Ask your mom for money

what if your mom doesn't have money?

Get in a meme startup.

but then they expect you to make the company your entire fucking life

Quit being poor? idk

The awnser is simple.

CONNECTIONS

but not everyone can be rich

All I had to do was show I had 5 years in start-ups that weren't my fault if management decided to fuck everyone over and there we go...120k a year.

Sounds like a you problem

>HE DOES IT FOR FREE

YGSIU BRUH

Attached: 1480024428017.jpg (250x250, 11K)

Keep shitposting until you found the answer

I have never ever heard of those companies offering unpaid internships.

You... DID do college projects... didn't you, OP?

HR is made up of hispanic women who put on too much weight and realized they had to get a job because they could no longer rely on handouts from men. They don't know shit and are just looking for a resume that fills out the page. Put your shitty Drupal blog you edited the CSS for in college on there and talk it up a little bit. That'll get you in the room with an actual hiring manager who will see that you have enough knowledge to learn how to do the job they need you to do.

You... DO know what you're doing... don't you, OP?

Attached: tech_alsa.png (852x600, 63K)

Nepotism.exe
Thank me later

I purposely don't hire the secretary's aunt's bull's nephew.

Internships are easy to get if you're not a brainlet and the top ones pay great. I'll be graduating with 2 years work experience from 6 internships.

>HR is made up of hispanic women who put on too much weight and realized they had to get a job because they could no longer rely on handouts from men

fuuuuucking loooool this whole post is the truth

Ask the HR why their product sucks dick and then tell them to pull their head out of their ass and learn to hire smart humans and not faggots who know how to play the resume game.

save up to sustain yourself, do an unpaid internship, get experience you tard. don't be one of those people who spends precious time complaining on twitter about how unpaid internships are stupid, spend precious time here instead.

I got a job by building an ~8000 line toy optimizing compiler and writing about it on my resume. The interviewer said they were impressed by my ability to put together a large project (even though I'd say 8000 lines is not very large...) and I landed a job.

>save up to sustain yourself
>2018

unironically this.

I'm a network engineer and I got my first IT job by completely lying about having 2 years of experience in a computer repair shop.

So unrelated question somewhat but since we're talking about jobs, I've been thinking of switching after close to over 2 years and I got contacted by an Amazon recruiter

Are they still a bodyshop with small benefits compared to the other big tech shops for programmers or can someone vouch otherwise? The only reason I asked is because our current Automation lead hired around half a year ago came from there and I doubt he would move on from Amazon if things were rosy there.

chase pay unless you're a fag in which case go for an interview and grill them on what the culture is like

Depends on what you're doing there. Warehouse is total shit from what I've seen. Tech jobs there are mainly fixing the mistakes the dirty Indians made, but you get paid more than they do, so fuck em anyway.

Demand a wage you would find ideal, and leave the rest to fate.

Attached: tech_mouse.gif (630x480, 174K)

We're not talking about the warehouse, you blue-collar buffoon.

I will switch for pay but not for a significant downgrade on perks which I have heard Amazon has because of "muh frugality for profitability" mentality. Like I can understand having perks in exchange for enticing for working more than 40 hours/week at times which all tech shops have these days but to have no perks and still expect that is just a big no no in my books.

The only other thing is possible I would just do it for the interviewing experience but I don't know if I'll have the time to spare.

The main thing is I've not seen Amazon fix their white collar issues i.e. tech side of things since the New York Times article 2 years ago in a giant PR way or from Glassdoor so I think they only let the storm pass before continuing with their practices. All things considered, it can be pretty much "tech hell" and when I can choose not to go there, I mean, why would I do that when I am not masochistic?

Maybe we should be; your reading skills wouldn't cut it in the office.

It's only a real tech hell if you don't feel you're being paid enough, or if you care too much. Otherwise, when Pajeet's name turns up in the git commits, it's not your fault and you do your best to make things better.

Sorry, I do care about how I am treated by other people at a company, especially when it's the people who are managing you or in a position to make the big decisions so yeah, it's unfortunately a criteria for me. I learned that quite distinctly from my first internship.

But just so others can see this, I found an HN discussion on this barely more than 2 months old and skimming the comments, it does seem like my fears were correct. So yeah, it's a no go.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17062782

But I should probably get to trying out for Google again. Could probably get into the onsite portion this time hopefully if I do enough preparations this time.

alright well enjoy the next ten years of unemployment, and then being unable to explain the ten year gap in your next interview, except to say, "I have a problem with authority."

Attached: trust.jpg (720x320, 22K)

I am one of the youngest people at my current company and at the near bottom of the hierarchy so I get plenty of shit jobs and very few reasons to say no to things but it is tolerable at least if the pay and perks are only merely acceptable now.

I will not, however, accept anything mentioned in nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html where's it's grueling workshop tier work in a implicit stack ranking corporate structuring for your line of work.

Fuck off, we are full.

yeah cool man you know whats up haha yeah boy good luck my man

Attached: me_kitchen.jpg (2048x1536, 566K)

Lying shows you care. Fake it till you make it, user-kun

Attached: 1520057916_IMG_20180303_091728.png (1080x1271, 1.55M)

heeheehee what are those screencaps from

Know someone in the industry

Go to another industry

Any computer engineers in here? What do you do? We spent 4 years learning the ins and outs of a mips processor, along with all the fundamental EE classes electrical engineering majors, but all the "'"'"'"'CE"'"'"'"' jobs i see on indeed, linkedin and school job board are for programming (databases and stacks). I've only seen a few jobs with hdl programming, but no one ever responds back.

Attached: 1497894992709.png (680x359, 29K)

call ICE on some chink and pajeet scum

Nepotism, not even kidding.

CS 1.6

>RADIO EXERCISES

Suggestion 1: Apply to companies anyway. Part of the reason they ask for 3 years is that so many prospective employees add 3 years anyway and just lie. I'm not saying you should lie, just saying that you should not let the "3 years" thing bother you so much.

Suggestion 2: If you can't get a job that says programmer, get one that says QA, tester or similar. That gets you a foot into the door, and you at least make money.

Suggestion 3: Don't just reply to job posters, show initiative, and start mailing your CV, Resume or whatever is standard for your local culture to your local businesses that does any development. Banks for instance are massive development shops these days. And many of them have really good programmers working on really complex critical shit. You can learn a lot there.

It's worth pointing out that if you later join a smaller company that have problems with scaling, bank experience lets you pretty much ask why the scaling is a problem at all, because banks have half a century of institutional experience building stable, secure and scalable solutions. You can learn a lot from these types of institutions, even if they don't sound too cool. They also let you work 9-5 and have a life.

Suggestion 4: Even if you don't get a job in the industry, get SOME job with SOME relevance and work on shit in your spare time and keep applying. It could take you years to land that great job. Now, imagine you are a prospective employer and you have two dudes. One has lived with his parents for two years, applying to jobs, the other has lived in a small apartment, working odd jobs. One seems better already. If you also have worked on some stuff here and there to keep your skills up to date, you're even more golden.

I spoke to the CFO of a large merchant bank and he pretty much said that his main criterion for hiring graduates was that they held down a job while studying. Because that proved that you could take on responsibility.

Cont.

That means that the reference from the manager from the local gas station means more to him than your GPA ever could.

Also, realize that it can take years to get that good job and start your career. I'm not saying that's fair. I'm saying that's reality. So don't ever give up.

Finally, boomers telling you how to find a job in 1965, which was the last time they applied to a job, can go fuck themselves with a rake.

Thanks for the tip. I once got asked that question, she compared the GPA with my IQ (there was a psychological test when applying job in my country) and I couldn't answer it because my GPA is just slightly above average.

Attached: 1531359505563.jpg (1171x936, 87K)

Idk man look in a different field to get experience. I got skills from working at a beer factory in terms of maintenance and running LIMs and shit. Im just a lowly IT guy but not bad for no formal education.

Entry level positions in the same department where the specific job you want is located. Want to be a Network Admin? Be a computer technician and get that "experience in this field" type stuff.

Work history =/= experience in your field. HR want work history, department head wants field specific field experience.

>no ones cares about GPA
>i have a proven history of putting low effort into my work
>i have previously and continue to procrastinate and fuck off
When you say you have a $100k job after nearly failing community college and openly admitted to prospective employers this fact, you are definitely either lying or delusional.

Just apply anywhere. I applied for a required 5+ years of experience with only 2 and got it anyway.

How do you make friends, though?

By sharing religion, political views and actually being a pleasant person to be with

Apprenticeships and Internships, boomers won't trust young people with a job and love it when you work for free, working unpaid proves your work ethic which is sometimes more important than your qualifications.

I graduated with a third in a BA Graphic Design degree, applied for a web testing apprenticeship, worked for 8 weeks unpaid, got an internship at the end (minimum wage for 12 weeks) then got a full time web design/dev role, worked for 2 years then switched to an IT Engineer role in the same company. Now I get access to any IT training I want without having any IT qualifications at all.

3 years of unpayed internship

job requirements are always exaggerated

just apply nigga.... whats the worst thing that can happen? an interview?

Attached: 1530858123957.jpg (804x1024, 214K)

>CONNECTIONS
aka nepotism

Yeah dont search up for CE. Intead look for Firmware engineer, embedded systems engineer, software engineer, and embedded software engineer

its just a excuse they use for people from bad families. or with bad educations. they don't want you.

its true tho, every single one of my job opportunities has come from who i knew and who those people knew

This is generally what I assume.

Show me code that isn't shit and I'll get you a job.

nepotism or have friends who work or formerly worked for a company.

If you have neither of these, and the job market isn't even considering you, then go start your own business and become your own boss.

>boomers telling you how to find a job in 1965, which was the last time they applied to a job
isn't that what you're doing

>work history /= specific experience in the field
YES IT FUCKING DOES YOU FUCK. Have you even tried applying for allegedly "entry level" shit these days?

>he thinks they will give him an interview

oh yeah, work for free, cause people don't need money to live...

all unpaid internships need to go extinct, it's not the 1900s where people had loads of time, everything was cheap and you could just show up at a factory and work for a while

>(Entry-Level)
>requires 1 year experience

Attached: 1398520436231.png (699x699, 1.03M)

Two (2) years here. It's like they only want industry veterans to do all of their main monkey business on all of their windows 2003 systems at $12/hr.

i'm so tired at this point offing myself seems easier

Do not work for free.

I just accepted one of three offers after applying with examples of my work and no professional experience and no connections.