So lets hear it: why aren't you using GuixSD, user?

So lets hear it: why aren't you using GuixSD, user?

>Having more then 1k packages
>Using 300M ram on idle

Attached: 2018-07-12-073619_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

0x0.st/sf0k.scm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>freetard distro
>steep learning curve
>not using popular package format(.deb, .rpm)
>shit logo

Because Windows 7 just werks.

>>freetard distro
I bet you duel boot win 7 huh
>>steep learning curve
Curious why you say this?
>>not using popular package format(.deb, .rpm)
apt install = guix package -i
apt remove = guix package -r
apt update = guix pull
>>shit logo
I love it.

Attached: Guix_logo.svg.png (1200x1090, 66K)

While being full of security holes.

wow, GNU sure is trying to stay relevant.
Is this garbage heap using HURD at least? (or have they still not finished that ahaha)

Attached: Wolfgang_priklopil.jpg (203x200, 13K)

is there anyway to use a non libre kernel?
the laptop I use requires proprietary drivers for wifi
I think it's using the init system from hurd

>more then 1k packages
thats not really too impressive actually, but other than that ive heard a bit about Guix and Nixos (which its based off of im pretty sure) and im intrigued

>wow, GNU sure is trying to stay relevant.
You won't believe it. They even call it "software distribution" so they can avoid using "Linux" in the name. Guess they really want to feel special.

Yeah, it's really not. A net install of Ubuntu will net you around the high 300 mark on number of packages with nothing ticked.

Guix is a fork of NixOS I believe. Using Guile over Nix's custom api is much more pleasant. Plus, no SystemD with GuixSD.

You would probably have to compile the kernal to allow non free binary blobs

>is there anyway to use a non libre kernel?
Yes, but the irc + mailing lists are pretty tough on taking about this. Have a fun time digging for this info. I've mostly seen developer recommend the usb wifi adapter from ThinkPenguin.
>I think it's using the init system from hurd
It is.

>developer re
Guix/GuixSD developers*

300M on idle? that's pretty inefficient.

>having more than 1k packages on clean install
>good

The distro on my laptop uses ~200MB of RAM at idle and I ran another distro that used 90MB. 300MB on idle isn't impressive... like at all.

what distro?

Not him but arch uses like 180M idle on my laptop

Because im using CloverOS® and it uses 73mb on idle.
Why i want to bloat my system with that bloaty bloater bloat?

Attached: IMG_20180703_141803_149.jpg (1280x720, 52K)

I'll get 10k packages if I need to so long as my system is functional and fashionable. I've resources to spare.
Spergs, when will they learn?

Better to use windows cautiously than linux carelessly.

What's with this merciless shilling of this distro on Jow Forums lately? I agree to it, but still, all of a sudden...

Attached: Blank+_d7169d48dee2346fa39821def3d2be78.png (600x474, 6K)

why would I use the autism distro with shit kernel, horribly complicated package manager, no non-free repo and high memory usage.

t. void user

Attached: 2018-07-12-143311_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 76K)

Wish I could recommend Void like you, but I’ve had so many bad experiences with it (in a fresh install, no more!) that I simply don’t want to see it again.

I'm gonna switch to it once it hits 1.0

>default i3 config
How many reinstalls this week?

Because I use NixOS :)

works just fine, I use i3 because it makes sense on such a small screen. I mostly use a desktop for each application
what kind of issues did you run into?

Agreed.

Attached: 2018-07-12-10:05:11-screenshot.png (1272x713, 81K)

>Having less than 1000 packages
>Using less than 300M ram on idle

>Having a productive OS

Make your choice, ive made mine

looks promising, but I can't run it because I have non-free hardware (NVidia graphics card for doing work with CUDA on my desktop, and Intel WiFi on my laptop). For now I'll stick with NixOS which has more packages available.

>couldn't connect to WiFi after following all the steps in the wiki (it did say ‘Connected’ though, but it actually wasn't) — I had to put my retardation in jeopardy by figuring out something that the wiki didn’t say
>after installing GNOME (don’t criticize) it started to display the cursor on the terminal, freeze and never do anything again even after numerous reboots
>getting lightdm to work — the exact same example in the wiki! — was a pain and after that tty1 was unusable for me
>herbstluftwm started with a red border, probably due to some dependency issue (that xbepis didn’t automatically take care of) and I could not do anything inside the WM
That being said, I can’t not appreciate the speed and ease of use of the TUI installer and how all the hardware seemed to werk out of the box perfectly. But I still can’t bring myself to reinstall it the seventh time.

>couldn't connect to WiFi after following all the steps in the wiki
Did you enable wpa_supplicant? Because dhcpcd does that for you.
>GNOME
>Lightdm
Can't comment, sorry. I am the only user, so I use Autologin without the DM.
>herbstluftwm started with a red border
Works on my machine. Tried it as an alternative to the bspwm and it worked out of the box.

use networkmanager and nmtui or nm-applet for wifi. for gnome you should use gdm. also I feel like the best is to do a rootfs install and build up from a minimal system.

Why this over NixOS?
Given that it's a GNU project - how easy is it to introduce proprietary shit to it (linux non-libre kernel and drivers)?
Also
>Having more then 1k packages
1879 packages on manjaro - I need shit to
do real work, nigger, fite me

>I think it's using the init system from hurd
Which is still better than systemd

>t. void user

fukken this, except that I don't use my nvidia GPU for actually useful stuff
[spoiler]muh gaymes[/spoiler]
enjoy your dead distro

>t. void user
Of course. I won't shill a distro that I don't find to be the best (albeit with some problems). And I won't shill it if I don't use it.

fuck, messed up the formatting
I meant to say
>enjoy your dead distro
I still kinda like runit tho

>enjoy your dead distro
Fresh packages every day tell me that it's far from dead.
In fact, I'd even give a try to NixOS if it had the latest TexLive like Void does.

>Why this over NixOS?
guixs is configured in guile(scheme), which is attractive to people that know lisp
>Given that it's a GNU project - how easy is it to introduce proprietary shit to it (linux non-libre kernel and drivers)?
there won't be any officially supported non-free software. it would still possible to install it.

>which is attractive to people that know lisp
In other words, EmacsOS is finally happening.

>Did you enable wpa_supplicant?
Yes, that fixed it
>for gnome you should use gdm.
That’s what I did before settling with lightdm.

>attractive to people that know lisp
which is why I'd love guixSD over nixOS, given that I do know it
>there won't be any officially supported non-free software
but this is kind of keeping me away from it. Maybe, if Thinkpad A485 will ship with all FOSS components - which is kinda unlikely, knowing lenovo chinkjews - I'd give it a shot.
On the other hand, NixOS without systemd is kind of hacky as well

> not knowing about the LISP machines
I want the underage to leave this site

0x0.st/sf0k.scm is the one you want (I also run intel firmware)

I get around 200MiB as have mpd and such running

mainline 4.17.3 is shit? Update your kernel

I just couldn't with the nix language. It's a mess

I use Ubuntu and it's around 300M on idle.

bookmarked, will try some day later, when my autism kicks in.
Also, isn't the nix language loosely based on haskell? If yes, than maybe the real problem is that the latter one is what you don't understand well enough?

declarative OS management, motherfucker. Atomic rollbacks, and such. Sysadmins' dream; don't trash it before you try it.

>shit kernel
>literally using an EOL kernel
Okay, retard.

>using more than 80mb of ram idle

Because Crux is better.

That font is horrible. Delete this now.

Attached: FIESTA_DURO.gif (240x256, 189K)

Again, this package manager is complicated? How?

apt install = guix package -i
apt remove = guix package -r
apt update = guix pull

My wireless adapter needs proprietary drivers. :(

See

Its the best logo of all GNU distributions

Better to die a free man than live forever as a slave

I believe this has been cleared up in many threads before, but to reiterate:

Generally, the more packages you have, the more minimal, or space-efficient, your system is. and it also becomes more capable.
It is a sign that you don't have that many packages trying to do the same thing, and that different tasks are delegated to different specialized programs.
Having many packages is also a sign that you have a machine that is used for actual work.

Package count is NOT a measure of minimalism, unless you're proud of your 300 package machine that can barely get anything useful done other than host a terminal, neofetch, and some anime / landscape wallpaper.

Attached: desktop_threads.jpg (900x2200, 768K)

Unused ram is wasted ram.
Is the packages are bloat meme the most assinine meme on Jow Forums?
Am I missing a more obvious one?

or just guix package -m as you should be doing

no ez gui or semi gui install means no buy

I had a rough go on UEFI but after disabling it went very smooth. Ssh into the box and do a little copy/pasting from their install guide. Not bad, user.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.