Redpill on gentoo

redpill on gentoo
Is waiting 2 hours to compile something worth it instead of just installing a binary package?
t. 15 year old Arch ricer

Attached: 07f.jpg (960x1200, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

Jow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you have to be 18 to post here

it's a meme
t. 30yo boomer

>making and maintaining your own packages is much easier, think aur, but better
>no problems with library linking, pick each package version independently from any other
>no -devel packages, if you have a library you can use its headers and link to it
>no need to split up packages, just use USE flags
>great control over dependencies with USE flags
>making your own overlay is seriously a joy, and you can often find overlays for whatever package you need

Sounds neat but how often does it really make sense to do any of these things. Like how often do you actually benefit from that increase control over your packages and build flags etc

People use Gentoo because it's fun, not because it saves them time and energy

Does compiling stuff yourself somehow optimise it for your own hardware? Are compilers smart enough?

Any time some package has a bug you want to work around by patching it or up/downgrading. You can actually custom-patch packages by dropping patches in /etc/portage/patches.

holy shit HOW do you people find time to dick around with computers like this?

OSes break, and when they do, you want to fix them and get back to work. How many Windows woes have to be fixed by an 8 hour voodoo reinstall/reformat/reconfigure cycle?

Once every three months as a kid. Now I just have a backup drive I clone. That and windows 7 doesn't crash or glitch now that I don't install random videogame hacks from russian forums.
Good luck with your tinkering tho.

Is there a modern TempleOS with networking in the future?

>Trusting the binaries a distro give to you.
They can show you a source code and then give you binaries with malware. Do you want that user?
Its not about performance, its all about control.

Ugh SOMEBODY would find out eventually and they'd be shut down

i have never had to do that. A simple reboot has solved any problem i have had with my OS.

>compile malware and upload it to my distro
>malware logs sensitive stuff in a hidden file somewhere in your install
>then malware calls home sending sensitive data once per year when idle
>then malware download and fill your drives with cp and lolitas
>when download is done, it tips fbi and autocall the police.
>finally any evidence of malware is autodeled and overwriten with more cp and lolitas.
Where is your stallman now?

>just randomly gains write privileges
>just randomly sends cp over an open network
Yeah okay

Hey, you are asking if gentoo worth the pain, not how to write malware

this is why i just buy a mac

fuck you

Because you cant compute? Wow, what a boomer

cant ≠ dont want to

Global Rule #2

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Jow Forums.org/rules

>8 hour voodoo reinstall/reformat/reconfigure cycle?
Linuxfags are delusional. It takes 10-30 minutes to reinstall OS, 10-20 to reinstall all drivers if you saved installers before. Then about 20-60 to reinstall all apps.
An hour or two at most.

I can (and do) reinstall linux (CentOS) in about 20 minutes.

Linux is a kernel.

No, user, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'.

>waiting 2 hours
It's not really that bad. See picture. Most of my packages finish compiling after a few minutes or seconds, these are just the worst offenders.
>trusting the source code you get
Do you seriously feel the need to audit everything you install? Trusting source and trusting binaries are one and the same.

Attached: 2018-07-13-014347_670x351_scrot.png (670x351, 56K)