A new type of site

How hard would it be to code a site like Meebo from years back?

Meebo was a "social media" hub that allowed you to connect to all major social media that had chats and other stuff. You could update everything, goto chatrooms, and more. However, they were bought by Google and nothing happened since. I don't know why.

I want to build a similar site but I don't know the first thing about coding. I own a server, I've got the space for it definitely. However, the key issue is that I don't know the first thing about coding. I would like too.

My plans are simple

I want it to be free, open source and partial dating. Or an aspect of dating. I want moderation on the site that ACTUALLY works to get shit fixed.

I want an aspect of a twitter like feed, boards like Jow Forums, a chat/messaging app like facebook/messenger and maybe a voice chat like discord but you host it. I know, I don't like that idea either but I would rather the people host it because of "privacy" And have an encrypted service embedded because I believe in privacy. I want to make it for the people by the people.

Is this logical?

Attached: file.png (1020x835, 240K)

It's possible and sounds like a good project. I would love to work with you on this but I have little experience in creating good code

im better with music

Helpful. Still, it's a good project

The loading screen has a homage to fuckin Wii shop channel

It needs a redesign haha

site should have background music and "skins"

>they were bought by Google and nothing happened since. I don't know why.

Google buys out its competition and stops it in its tracks, that’s why.

Meebo wasn't even a threat.

I want it to be free, open source and >partial dating. Or an aspect of dating. I want moderation on the site that ACTUALLY works to get shit fixed.
Don't worry about making it a dating platform as your users will do that for you.
Also, moderation even in moderation turns the neautral of services into George Soro's personal jack booted squad aided by an army of shills.

I've run a few decent groups in the past, and I make sure that my mods are fair and so forth.

When I say dating aspect, I want it to be like how a lot of dating sites are with settings your age, preference, sex, gender and so on. The biggest thing I want to set tho is ethnicity because a lot of sites are like "You want to only date 1 single race? Fuck you!" Literally got called a racist homophobic transphobic by OKC. Fuck that place.

Also, think of all the different platforms you'll need to fully support. You'd effectively be building separate clients for each one

That part I understood. I think the biggest basis I want to do behind this is making a friendly and welcoming environment where it's completely customizable like most unix OS. I want it to be as complex as you want, or as simple as you want. I want it to feel like a desktop enviroment. However, I want it to stay on that computer. Therefore, when you goto another device, is it the same? Only if you make the other a copy. There would be a place in the settings that would say "download custom layout" and it would download you a TxT file and whatever bacground you're using or if you're using an image directly from another site.

I'm starting to understand what you're aiming for. It's going to be a long stretch but it seems doable. You just need someone who is good at design or something to create the layout. Also, how would you create the desktop experience in a web browser? What programming languages do you plan on using? Is it going to be completely handled client side or is there going to be some sort of server side processing

>sign on
OH NO NO NO NO

> is making a friendly and welcoming environment
Ahh, you're one of those ideas guys. None of the technicalities, but all of the inconsequentialities.
How about you sketch out a few rough designs.

I actually have in paint. I've made a few different variations. I am an idea guy, however, I have space and the tools, If I could do coding I'd totes be on board with helping, but I suck. I'm better at marketing and music

I'll make the logo

that's my line!

Attached: Delet+dis+_58f2fafbb4a5bd68dc5fd787970f359e.jpg (326x326, 28K)

Signing on is British slang for welfare.

Gotta figure out what to call it first

I'll make the logo!

logo competion

here
I'll drop out. Jow Forums isn't the best place to start these sorts of things

We need a funny name a funny ass domain.

Senpainotice.me

Closeenough.gg

openbox.me or .yes

That's just it man, Jow Forums is the perfect place because no one expects it to be the perfect place. Jow Forums is the hub of free speech. Just because you have free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

From a technical standpoint look into existing FOSS plugins for chat programs (like Pidgin already has purple-facebook and purple-hangouts).

From a legal standpoint I don't think you can do this. Facebook and Google are actively against federation, use proprietary protocols (thanks for shutting down XMPP, fuckers) and want you to be locked to their platforms. AFAIK purple-hangouts works by hijacking the iOS client API key, I highly doubt that you can legally do something like this or acquire an API key for your site.

You can be the "ideas" guy. :)

I do apologize. /in my opinion/ Jow Forums isn't the best place to start these things. I may be wrong because this is opinion

so ebuddy?

> I am an idea guy, however

Go die.

There's no law/rule/TM against making another social platform. MINDS is a thing but no one uses it.

>having an opinion
Gosh user, how dare thee. Nah.

Geeze. Calm down sport.

ebuddy looks like a version of Discord. No, my idea isn't that at all. It would just have a chat in it for friends and other groups. I want to bring back the idea of chat rooms. Starting a chatroom and linking it out and it's all together. Listing how many people in it, topic, and so on. You get the point. Similar to aim/aol and so on

>Is this logical?
no, get real

you never developed anything professionally
you don't know anything about testing, unit / feature / integration or visual regression
you don't know anything about serverless / cloud computing
you don't know anything about networking / cdn / ipfs

get real, 99% of Jow Forums users are neets so you won't even get that bad 90s style design in pure html / css

also, they are all paranoid about their CP material, so forget signing in social media stuff.

you dont know who all is on Jow Forums. This place has milions of people on it. For all you know someone could be coding something right now and not telling us. Why do you have to be such a downer?

>connect all your social media
sounds like good botnet

This is not another social platform. It's a meta platform connecting to Facebook, Google, etc... . It needs access as middleman to these platforms, it can be controlled legally. What do you think, why there are so few FOSS chat clients to these platforms?

That was meebo. I didn't want to do that at all actually.

cause I live in the real world and I lurk Jow Forums a bit purely to get some news (as well as being a senior/lead developer with 10 years of experience and managing 2 other devs across multiple projects)

the average userbase here has no clue of what's going on in the web / development / analytics / dealing with big data or anything IT tech related

so imagine building anything remotely useful, they would probably attempt to write it in shaky C lel

Line 2, wouldn't by this logic you have no idea what you're doing too?

>a site like Meebo
>except it's not like Meebo at all

I mean the concept. The idea was that it was easy to use, customizable, add background, I mean it had a lot going for it. I wanted to take what they did with meebo and make it better.

not if you understand what average means or have any sense about statistics

at least start with an MVP to spin out in a couple weeks to test out the market of that (I can tell you that a decent web dev can code an mvp for this concept via angular/vue/react in about that time, with help of a good designer/ux developer), otherwise it'll be a lot more time lost, just throwing some tips out there

Then you can start with ab testing
Then you can begin thinking about the 1.0 version if you have people using it
Then you can find money from people interested, or do an ICO if you want to deal with blockchain / internal coins
Then you can start hiring people to work on the 1.0
etc..

All we actually need is to make an unofficial api for all the major services, then make frontends for it.
Using facebook messenger is absolute hell, we need a custom client

I'll be honest, I fail to see how this could be a success. If you want to integrate with Twitter, FB, etc., people will just use those sites instead.

If you want to replace/mimic them, people will still just use the real thing. The social media space is already pretty saturated. It's very difficult to acquire any sort of critical mass these days.

That being said, if integrating, it shouldn't be super difficult assuming the services you integrate with have public APIs

use GraphQL...

I don't want to reverse engineer their spaghetti obfuscated code

Graphql act as an interface for whatever, so you can use the same signature but 10 different apis in the backend

>Google buys out its competition and stops it in its tracks, that’s why

Tell me user what google will do if you don't sell. Programmers need bigger balls.

Seems interesting, but it's made by facebook

>ux developer
lel what

Dead Simple

They all have api to connect to nowadays. Just hook them up and use react to display them.

the state of Jow Forums

keep it neet
peace out

The average person is not a developer and the average website a Google or Amazon.
Some people are idealists, whereas you sound like the code monkey problem solver.

UX = user experience (how shit clicks)
UI = user interface (how shit look)
Standard applications go by simple 'look and feel' as the UX/UI is already taken care of by the operating system

>not a Google
phoneposting

I'll make the logo.