/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Read → → → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Programming questions?
>Smartphone purchasing advice?
>Windows questions?
Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
pastebin.com/1PcnaQS5

Old thread

Attached: 5.jpg (1280x1807, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160977 100898493 600559797&IsNodeId=1&Description=gsync&bop=And&PageSize=96&order=PRICE
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/wireless-mobile-mouse-1850/u7z-00001?part=U7Z-00021
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I need a good music player for Linux
I have a very large amount of music so I want to be able to see as much of my archive as I can.

Attached: 1390232149.gif (500x362, 878K)

You don't like Rhythmbox?

I need a good affordable 1080p monitor with Gsync, high refresh rate and low latency. Or whatever you guys can recommend to pair with a GTX1070

What should I look at? Also curved monitors look interesting are they worth it?

Attached: 1493161755166.gif (500x271, 271K)

Check newegg, and read the reviews. What's your definition of 'cheap'?

Never really tried it, is it good?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1531399417027.png (709x980, 436K)

Is Xubuntu still the best/justwerks OS for that early 00s Windows GUI style?

Looking for a simple LTS for a touchpad laptop.

It's not bad.
Sure.

300 or less

I wish she were my gf...

Is there a limit to how many characters you can have in your page file before you add an include?

I have an include for a config file on all my pages with the db data and a session destroy after certain inactivity.
I noticed that the automatic session destroy did not work on one of the pages so I removed some lines that I thought might be the cause but eventually I noticed removing some comments did the trick aswell.

Now I'm at the point where if I add 1 more random char in between the top of the file and the include; it won't work anymore.

I find this to be quite odd.

Not going to happen.
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160977 100898493 600559797&IsNodeId=1&Description=gsync&bop=And&PageSize=96&order=PRICE

Is A+ cert hard for someone without a degree in CompSci/Eng? I looked at some practice questions and they didn't seem too difficult, I mainly didn't know the mobo POST codes but thta's just memorization.

Attached: 1401644709505.jpg (459x650, 52K)

I guess it's not too bad.
Thanks user.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-12 14-53-29.png (1920x1080, 156K)

what DE are you using? I like how minimal and colourful it looks. Does it work well with a touchpad instead of mouse or keyboard?

>Is A+ cert hard
No, it's literally a way to make money off of High School students. It's a shit cert, skip it. You should already know everything on it if you've been interested in tech for the last 10 years.
If you're new to tech, then study it, it's like a history lesson on hardware. But, hardware gets replaced, so don't expect to see much of what you learned from the A+ in the real world. If you do see it, you're working for a company that may not last much longer.

No worries. I prefer MusicBee, but I've always used Rhythmbox on Linux. Never had any issues with it.

It's just a fresh install of Manjaro with Gnome.

Any reason this would be a bad idea? Kts a insect net and some magnets covering the side of my pc to act as a dust/pet hair filter.

Attached: IMG_20180712_150229.jpg (4160x2340, 3.43M)

What's the best/least worst public tracker?

Linux Mint is the best/most popular/biggest community right now, but soon elementary OS will over take it.

Mint is the safest bet until Elementary is dominant though.

Check thermals before/after. Other than that, go for it.
Best would be the one with the most peers.
Worst would be the (((studio))) owned.

So PirateBay is still fair game?

Sure. Public trackers are just that, public. What matters is who's peering.

is there any "manual" disk defrag software out there?
defraggler has the option to move files to the end of the drive, i wanted the option move them to any cluster i pick

Thanks,

For NTFS and Windows?

fat32 and windows

Why doesn't this wget script work for me anymore?

wget \
--recursive \
--no-directories \
--directory-prefix="${1}" \
--accept 'gif,webm' \
--reject '*s.jpg' \
--span-hosts \
--domains=i.4cdn.org \
--execute robots=off \
--wait=2 \
--random-wait \
"${2}"

It used to would download all gif/webm in a thread.

There are multiple image domains now.

It should work, just be scared of humidity and water.

How do I archive a whole Youtube channel at once? Can I get all metadata from youtube-dl? I'd also like to know how to do it without losing audio or video quality but consuming the least hard drive space.

what do? Can it be fixed? I don't know much about wget

Youtube-dl, just paste the channel link.
>I'd also like to know how to do it without losing audio or video quality but consuming the least hard drive space.
Some channels are just big so expect to use a lot of space, get a dedicated HDD for archival.

Hello Jow Forums, stupid question about ethernet drivers

I have an old PC that i just got back up and running with a clean Win10 installation. Unfortunately it wasn't able to automatically install any network drivers.

My motherboard is ASUS P7P55D-E and on the ASUS website there are no win10 drivers (only win8 and older). I was able to install chipset drivers using compatibility but unfortunately the compatibility settings don't work for the network drivers.

According to the motherboard manual the LAN hardware is "Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN Controller featuring AI NET2"

I tried downloading directly from the RealTek website but also no luck.

I know the LAN port definitely works, the orange link light is on when I connect a network cable. Any ideas on how to get this LAN controller working? I don't want to have to connect a usb wifi adapter...

Anyone who helps me will get a free copy of my game (pic related)!

Attached: gameScreenShot.png (1764x1032, 963K)

bls resbond. I'll take a hint

Brainlet here. What is the best way to start messing around with linux if I want to run it off a usb in my win10 botnet pc? I mostly use it for games and photoshop and dont feel like reinstalling a new OS, but I want something a bit more secure for when I shitpost on Jow Forums. Already disabled most of what I could on win10 to stop its spying on me.

Attached: 1522187537163.jpg (600x656, 51K)

NVM. I figured it out.

>There are multiple image domains now.
was a good enough hint

--domains='i.4cdn.org,is3.Jow Forums.org' \

i'm experimenting with wildcards now

tyvm sir

is2 and is4 are a thing too.

>download a live iso, like mint
>place on usb drive with rufus
>reboot
>hold the key to select the bootable drive, usually Esc, F2, F12, or something
>enjoy

For Instagram stories, I just tried to upload 20 10-second long clips and received a message that the limit was 10 videos.

Can I upload another 10 clips after that to add to the story or is the limit? Because I swear I've seen stories with a bunch of posts.

>Already disabled most of what I could on win10 to stop its spying on me.
You installed Windows 10 2016 LTSB and disabled telemetry?

I listed out is1-is7 because the * wildcard refuses to work. Any thoughts on that?

* works for --reject '*s.jpg' \

people who use computers

Will I be able to overclock my two monitors if I'm daisy chaining them? The monitors are 1080p/60hz by default, and I was thinking of overclocking them to around 75hz.

is there a way to tansport playlists \ subscriptions from one youtube account to another? (separate google accounts)

I've been applying to internships and just realized I've been doing so with a full voicemail inbox. I have missed a lot more calls than usual since I started applying. How badly did I fuck myself over? Would an employer typically email you or send a text if they got a full voicemail?

You don't have caller ID/missed calls list?

I do. I googled the numbers and nothing came up. I called some of them back with *67 and they all had no answer or voicemail. I don't want to wind up calling someone back who wasn't from one of the places I applied to

Just call them back. It's either them, or a telemarketer.

Is VM that much different performance wise from dual booting an OS? I wanna do some dev and explore loonix without having to spend too much time setting up dual boot with 2 separate hard drives (don't argue against that, I just don't)

you don't need two separate hard drives

I want to make a program that runs in the background, registers my activity daily and makes some statistics every day. I've noticed that I am not productive at all and I have no idea where I'm wasting my time.
Ideally, I would want it to register the websites that I visit and the amount of time that I spend in them, as well as any applications that I may open.
Do you guys have any idea how to start such a project? Languages that might be suited for the task or stuff that I need to know in order to do it? I am not very good at programming, so I would appreciate if you told me what kind of stuff I need to learn before I program something like this.

>Is VM that much different performance wise from dual booting an OS?
It's generally slower, but not unusably so.

>setting up dual boot with 2 separate hard drives
Dual booting is normally done from a single drive.

Just record yourself with a camera.

I'm moving into my first apartment next week and they say most people there use Comcast, my question is do I need a modem for that? It has the lines in the wall already

My work wifi blocks Jow Forums from the web but I can still access and post using mimi (android Jow Forums app)

How is this possible?

Attached: Screenshot_20180712-115112.png (1080x1920, 90K)

They'll provide it if needed. You'll pay a rental fee.

Don't rent a modem. They're like 10 bucks a month and you can buy a good enough modem for like 50 bucks.

Maybe Mimi is acting like a man in the middle to harvest your data. Work network doesn't see you going to Jow Forums, they see Mimi. It's like a VPN

Are there any 128GB 2.5'' SSDs that are not ancient or thrash? I'm using ~60GBs out of the 500GB drive I have atm, so an SSD larger than 128GB would be wasted on me, also I'm a poorfag.

Yeah. Plug one into the motherboard, the other into the card.

That's a very crappy way to do it and I don't even have a camera.

Is there anything I can add to a conf file for mpv to make the text when taking a screenshot on the player smaller or not appear at all?

Attached: mpvvvv.jpg (1296x759, 192K)

maybe they blocked http/80 but not https/443

You're a brainlet, so I gave you a brainlet solution.
Install some spyware on your system, it's essentially what you are asking for.

>I'm not productive at all so I want to waste time and resources making a program to tell me how non-productive I am

Why are PC hardware prices so disproportionate right now?

Can anyone genuinely explain? I have been a laptop user for years and finally am deciding to come back to a PC, and even in the used market RAM and GPUs are overpriced. What gives?

Change the OSD level, works for me on smplayer.

osd-font-size=asmallersize

RAM is artificial shortage and GPUs are real shortage an price hiking caused by buttcoin miners buying en masse

>RAM
manufacturers literally fucking us over with the pricing, also smartphones have like 8GBs of ram now
>GPUs
monopoly coins mining, it's getting back to normal though

This worked, thank you very much!

I'm trying to find this animated short film about some guy waking up in some infinite white space with a TV in front of him welcoming him to Heaven. He walks for a long time only to return to the TV. Shocked, he shoots himself.

Again he wakes up in seemingly the same place with a TV now saying welcome to Purgatory. And in the end there's Hell and I think that repeats.

It's like this video has been wiped from the Internet. Or I just suck at finding things.

What is the best CPU for AM2? Phenom x4 9950?

Attached: akarin 054.jpg (709x869, 96K)

Get this pedophile shit off my board

What pedophile shit?

There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile.

Looks like your Jimmies got Rustled.

Attached: carlos.jpg (600x600, 34K)

Sixty (60) tabs open

Attached: IMG_0509.jpg (745x740, 97K)

Computer chair with completely straight back for tall people? No curves, no bends. Cannot find anything like that online, am I retarded?

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

>Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
>Intel Core i3-7100
>Windows 8.1 64 bit
>8 GB RAM

I checked btw and it turns out that it takes me 57 secs to fully load some random board's catalog. I am not paying for Kenya tier internet it used to be fine, I don't know if it's just Zenimax but for example I can't get an activation email sent to me after like 20 tries.

>I don't know if it's just Zenimax but for example I can't get an activation email sent to me after like 20 tries.
wut?

I need to get a code for The Elder Scrolls Online and I don't get sent one even after according to their site the email has been sent prompting me to question if this has something to do with my internet troubles.

Try using a different device.

Oh well turns out they are theo nes being absolute fucking cunts after all. I tried thru my phone and no effect. Still that doesn't make my other problems clearer. I might just reinstall and put Windows 10 since I've been lambasted by annoying messages how my CPU is supposed to be used with Windows 10 or some shit like that since months. Naturally I thought this was just another way of Microsoft being little cunts and promoting their product but maybe the messages have some truth in them.

What does each field mean exactly and how am I parse those values?

Attached: canned-Tuna.jpg (706x727, 218K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

Books that are very helpful for self study?

Attached: index.png (225x225, 4K)

How do I get my android phone to stop asking me to update facebook? I turned off auto-updates already, I want it to ignore updates for it completely.

disable google play

what was that meme domain that hosted a redirect to fsf.org?
the name had something to do with autism or spaghetti I don't remember

what is a cute, preferably pink mouse that Jow Forums would approve? I know it will be a of questionable Chinese quality, but curious to see what y'all would approve. Pic may or may not be related.

Attached: 71fNuc1bYIL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 156K)

microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/wireless-mobile-mouse-1850/u7z-00001?part=U7Z-00021

Is the RX 560 4GB good enough to run all modern games on lowered settings at a stable framerate?

bumping

What is a good backup software that isn't bugged by the government?

I am willing to pay up to 60 dollars.

thanks famalam.