Doing Ads Right

Is there an acceptable way to serve relevant ads to people based upon analysis of their data?

I was thinking it would at least:
>have to be opt-in
>your data would have to be stored encrypted locally on your machine and anonymized when sent to whatever server to be analyzed
>you should have full control over what data can be stored about you
>open source

I don't think I've ever acted on an ad, but ads could still be useful, right? Perhaps you could even request ads based upon what you're looking for?

Attached: no-ads-e1434093218188.jpg (640x640, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/reports/177/
reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/reports/408/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brave does this

Yeah, but isn't it based on Chromium and therefore a botnet?

No it doesn't.
>What does it mean that a user can opt into receiving ads?
>Brave blocks ads and trackers by default. We will soon release the ability for users to opt into receiving some ads. We will offer this option as another way — beyond Brave Payments — that users can support publishers. When they do appear, there will be fewer but higher quality ads. Rest assured, that even if you opt into receiving these ads, trackers will still be blocked and your privacy will still be protected. We will provide more detail around this feature when it is ready.
Nothing about your data being stored locally or having control over what data can be stored about you.

>nothing about
You didn't reach the part where they explain that ad preferences are offline. Keep reading.

Firefox is also a botnet, despite being a much better engine. Brave will actually be more anonymous by default than Firefox, once brave hits 1.0

Seems they left it out of the FAQ, which I was reading.

Go away if you're going to post wojaks.

>Firefox is also a botnet
wat

I've thought about this. If I ran a site that was funded by ads, I would do it in a very web 1.0 way.

- No sounds
- No irritating animations
- No interactivity outside of being a hyperlink
- First sign of being used to distribute malware, and you're blacklisted
- Ad may be minimized
- Report feature that users can use to tattle on advertisers
- Ads are proxied through my server

The problem would likely be finding companies who would agree to such terms.

Attached: bird pepe.png (1083x1024, 190K)

>Is there an acceptable way to serve relevant ads
No.
>but ads could still be useful, right?
Also no.

I'm going to block them no matter what.

If they're opt-in, what are you blocking?

How about keeping things the way they are now and let the brainlets view the ads while us intellectuals block them?

The opt-in button.

Kys

They have too many opt-out tracking options, not to mention their silent tracking experiments a few months ago.
reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/reports/177/
reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/reports/408/
>android Firefox has 5 trackers while brave has 1
>Firefox embraces google services while brave removes them

Nah fuck ads. I'm always going to block them because I simply don't want to see them. Not even that Brave shit where you get money for not blocking ads is good enough for me.

Attached: 1525958259590.jpg (1536x864, 169K)

If you opt for actually sending data, then it's fully anonymized and encrypted before being sent out, which is what OP wanted.
You don't have control over what data is stored other than being able to delete all of it, but the project is open source and this can be modified in future.

If I could stop getting annoying ads that I don't want to see maybe I wouldn't be using adblocker all the time

>then it's fully anonymized and encrypted before being sent out
That's what they always say before finding out it wasn't encrypted or some weak MD5 shit.

More to the point I don't think its possible to credibly promise advertising that is privacy respecting and/or not annoying.

Think back a moment about the history of advertising on the internet. First we had e-mail spam. Then we had flashing, animated banner ads. Then we had pop-ups. Then we had pop-ups that spawned more pop-ups when you tried to close them, or otherwise tried to interfere with you dismissing the ad. Then we had flash ads that played sound and video. Then we had "native advertising", which is really just saying "Geez, 'paid shill' is such a negative-sounding term, can't we call it something else...?" The whole goal of advertising is to distract you. Everyone involved in advertising wants you to stop paying attention to what you're doing and look at their ad. There is no way to make this acceptable or not irritating.

Okay now think about the history of advertising from a privacy standpoint instead of a being obnoxious standpoint. First we had email spam where the unsubscribe link didn't work, but marked your address as live. Then we had tracking cookies. Then we had supercookies and Flash cookies and LSOs, meant to do the same thing but to be harder to remove. We've had web bugs. We've had ISPs logging DNS queries and inserting tracking headers into unencrypted traffic so they could sell the results. We've had years and years of browser fingerprinting, including ingenious and devious shit like canvas fingerprinting. We've had ad companies literally get shit into Web standards that's only for advertising that browsers have to support, like the intersection observer API. Again, all privacy-invasive, and all exactly what everyone in the ad industry has every incentive to do. The ad space is worth more the more they know about you.

Advertisers have poisoned this well a dozen times. Internet ads are and will always be obnoxious and privacy-invading. The only solution is to not have them, and to destroy advertising's viability as a business model.

The only data you need to analyse is the fact that I am visiting your site. Stick a box at the bottom of the page with related goods or services and stop pretending that you're 'targeting' me when you're really just tracking clickthroughs.

Very well said.
>The only solution is to not have them, and to destroy advertising's viability as a business model.
I'm happy to say this is already happening. It feels like the whole ad business has been on the edge of a crisis for years now. Look at the retarded arms race they're in with people who use ad blockers. It makes the whole sitation look volatile as fuck, even at the point we're at where not that many people block ads compared to the amount of people that would if they knew they could.

No. If someone wants something, they would look for it. Ads are a waste of everyone's time.

>stop pretending that you're 'targeting' me when you're really just tracking clickthroughs
But they are targeting you. They buy a small amount of ad spots on a high traffic website to drop a tracking cookie on you, then they get a huge amount of cheap spots on numerous other shit sites and show their ads to you when you turn up.

Ads should be text only and you as a user should be allowed to select what portion of screen real-estate those ads take-up. 5%, 10% and so on.

I would suggest lowering the price per ad, then allow anyone interested to submit their own advertisement to your throw away email. Make sure you verify it using a throw away craptop with JS disabled, then decide if the ad would suit your webpage's audience.

inb4 NO AIDS

Micropayments >>>>>> ads.

>- First sign of being used to distribute malware, and you're blacklisted
That would not even be a possibility if you limited the ads to strictly image files or predefined HTML templates.

If ads were text only, or limited to small static images, I wouldn't mind them so much.

>There is no way to make this acceptable or not irritating.
I don't think that's completely true. If I am outside looking to buy a coffee, I want the coffee shop signs to be there. Similarly, if I am searching the web for "cheap vps with ipv6", I won't mind paid results for VPS providers that support IPv6. I might even click on them. What I don't want is Dragon Dildo ads when I search for "used thinkpad buying guide" despite them being topically related.

>Doing Wrong Right
end yourself

no, there isn't.

>>have to be opt-in
nigger who is voluntarily going to opt into being ad-raped?

If an ad was relevant, that is, it shows a product I want but haven't been able to find yet or didn't know about, then I wouldn't mind it.
That's never happened.
But if you can make it happen, then such ads would be okay.

>I want the coffee shop signs to be there
They are already there in your favorite search engine.

There isn't. You're not gonna use my bandwidth with ads. I don't wanna see them in any occasion whatsoever. If I want to buy something, I'll look for it.

/thread

>Is there an acceptable way to serve relevant ads
if your website is a tech site, offer them tech related stuff. the most specialized the topic, the more obvious the ads should be IMO.
if your website is a news site, then offer ads relative to the news articles you publish.

>based upon analysis of their data?
how about you do some effort and think about the kind of advertisement you want to publish, instead of having an automated system do for you, a system that can even be gamed to install malware on the systems used by your target audience?

I just realized... why don't we have an HTML tag that will disable plugins (flash/java/etc.), JS and audio (and perhaps video) in all its child nodes (even iframes)? that way, we could have mostly secure, non invasive ads.