What programming language do you need to learn to make games?

What programming language do you need to learn to make games?

Attached: 61_2.jpg (640x480, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lispgames/lispgames.github.io/wiki/Lisp-Games
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lisp

I made that

Fortran. It works better if you install gentoo.

C++
C#
lua sometimes

Idris

PHP + SDL bindings

I recommend you start here:
Good luck.

>PHP
>for gamedev
a horrible decision, really

yoo is that loli rape sim? if yes that's come a long way lol

You can actually make a game in basically any programming language. Some engines already exist in certain languages that you could work off of, but I think if I were to make my own game, I'd likely just choose my favorite lang and start from scratch. I'd hate to end up with a shitty lagfest of a game because I fell for a meme like Unity.

Attached: 1500310550152.gif (500x373, 1019K)

Very bad
Truth.
Lua. Go check out Love2d to get started out. Lua's got some stupid baked into it, but it's fast and Love makes it easy to get started.

>develpping an engine for a single game
>not falling for a meme like unity
You do not have a high IQ, do you?

I don't care if you're serious or not, fyi. I imagine this as a start-of-career thing as a game dev. This engine you create that you understand on a deep level and can tweak to your liking, I imagine getting a lot of use out of it with other games. I'd also, in my case, make it free software, so then a lot of other people could benefit it. Picture something like Valve's Source Engine. They used that for tons of games for several years. They continued to improve it. I think this is a sort of ideal situation. On the other hand there are games like Rust that settle for someone else's engine, and even though the game does a lot of cool shit and is pretty fun, it runs REALLY poorly, and they're often working around limitations of their engine. Creating your own engine may be more work upfront, but I think it's arguably the most important part of the game, so that's fine. Think of games like Nethack or Dwarf Fortress. By default they don't even have tilesets, and they're complex as shit. That's a good game right there.

Are you saying Source is any good? It's garbage.

That doesn't really matter. It's just an example of an engine that was used for several games over a long span of time. Assuming that me making an engine from scratch for my new game means I'm making it _just_ for that game just seems short-sighted.

For 3D, C. Or C++ for better maintainability.

Other faggot languages are basically slow for any serious work. C/C++ can also be slow if you are an incompetent faggot.

Please hit the enter key every once in a while.

Yeah, sorry. I've started wrapping at 72 characters when writing notes in vim, but I don't have a counter for Jow Forums posts.

>that part where the loli gets the fugs while being punched so hard she loses an eye
yeee

Based. Continue as you were.

ribit spacing xD

If i hit enter Jow Forumsays here accuse me of being from plebbit.

>programming question thread
>301 to a gaming board.
The state of Jow Forums

>301
wat

Jow Forums is an 18+ site

I-I was testing my enter key, fampai!

Please believe me ^_^

All of them

Jesus christ how horrifying

No you didn't I did

Back in the day when processors were weak/limited, ASM, C and C++ were a must.

C++ is still essential if you're building an engine in which you make your game in, BUT THIS IS NOT GAME DEV. THIS IS --ENGINE-DEV--. All engines, even ones made by AAA companies(UE4,Unity,etc), use a scripting language to actually program the game. They either create their own(IE, godot script, blue prints,etc) or using an existing one like C#.

Using C++ as a 'scripting language' is not recommended.

C++

shoutout to Godot

dude python lmao

Assembly

Attached: mrbones.jpg (800x450, 108K)

C# if you want to use Unity.
C++ if you want to use Unreal or take the DIY 3D route where you build your own infrastructure starting from OpenGL/Vulkan.
Anything you want if you want to build 2D games like in the picture, I would recommend C#, it's a nice mix of type safety, ease of use and runtime speed (don't know if it has any good libraries though, you might need to build up from just the painter widget).
JavaScript/TypeScript might also be worth looking at, if you build your game as a web app it's instantly available on pretty much every platform ever.

this desu
its how rct2 managed to do so much with such limited hardware

just don't use any pre-existing engine if you want to make professional-grade, 3d games. you'll have a hard time doing any specific optimizations.

A big boy language like C++

>Fortran
TPBP

C# can be compiled to web with the help of ASM.js and WebGL, no need to dig in js as it may become messy if the game is complex

Freebasic.

C, C++, C#, Lua

gentoo

html

C++, I recently interviewed with Disbelief (some gaming company in Boston) and they handed my ass over to me. I am from a hardware background. If you are decent at OOPs programming style, you'll be able to crack it. They're looking for junior and senior C++ developers. They kept mentioning unreal engine. I am not even a gamer or a software guy. Mostly done verilog, perl and tcl.

its not a programming language.

yet there were many more technically impressive games not written primarily in assembly then...

Linux, C + SDL + Vulkan. MacOS, Swift + Cocoa libraries. Windows, C# + whatever shitter engine you want.
If you want all 3 it's best to go for C/SDL/OGL (or Vulkan + wrapper for MacOS). If your project is larger than, say, an Unreal-tier shooter, with more complex elements or single player scripted levels, then you should probably build up a wrapper for LISP so you have a higher level language to express scripting concepts in.
Alternatively, FORTH through GFORTH would be pretty cool as a language; it's about as fast as C (faster than C++ most of the time) and as expressive as LISP. And you can embed it in C for accessing Vulkan etc for rendering.

i loved the idea of an all girl software company lead by a busty dominatrix.

just the idea though, IRL it wouldnt work.

because women.

I accept I don't know much about lisp. But learnt to do some basic extremely simple stuff in lisp and even that took lot of effort. How can anyone use those languages. Unless you're a Chris Sawyer tier autist who wrote in asm, I don't think games can be written in lisp.

>just don't use any pre-existing engine if you want to make professional-grade, 3d games.
Enjoy never finishing anything. Possibly the most dumb post in this entire thread, probably made by someone that hasn't done shit.

How dare you.

LISP programs can be manipulated at runtime. This drastically reduces the amount of time spent debugging by itself, which is the longest time investment in any game logic programming. All the most famous exploits in the industry are game logic exploits brought about by insufficient testing, like air strafing, bunny hopping, etc.
That makes it IDEAL for game programming, not subpar. Python, C#, Lua, all those are subpar compared to LISP. It's also crazy fast (SBCL) compared to everything except the fastest languages, like C++.

You spelled "a glorious decision" wrong.

I bet it is one of the best options if you're making an arcade game.
You can build it to any architecture, can configure the fuck out of it, can probably make your own kernel drivers with ease..

>the realization that SDL bindings for PHP exist

same deal here, I thought the migrant crisis was bad but then there are php+sdl bindings

English, so you can talk other people into making the game for you.

SDL bindings for most things exist. I bet you could compile bash with SDL support.

I don't think it is as terrible as lead free solder.
But both are proof gaia can't reunite 5 kids willing to actually fight for nature.

Nobody is going to use fucking lisp for game making. Why do people like this always come into these threads and shit things up?

github.com/lispgames/lispgames.github.io/wiki/Lisp-Games
did and do

Why not? It's a great language for gamedev, it's just not common because Windows is so prominent, and LISP on Windows is a shitshow (like any language except C++, Java, and C#, which are just shitshows in any environment).

Well, obviously you’re not going to make the UI with PHP, but I did use PHP to crap out a back end for a game that a friend’s company made for phones in just a few weeks. The funny part is that the PHP api that I wrote was actually faster than the Java api that they eventually got working.

Here's a short tutorial, please upvote, subscribe and hit the bell button!

Not reddit:
Reddit:

Jow Forumsscript

Attached: 1501492127878.jpg (1152x1559, 1.44M)

from scratch
some lowlevel language like c or c++
maybe a snappy higer lever scripting language like Lua, Python or Squirrel.

If you use a premade game-engine learn it's programming language. for unity that would be C#

>13 games
Friendly reminder that last year Steam had 29 new games per day on average.
13 games is nothing.

>The funny part is that the PHP api that I wrote was actually faster than the Java api that they eventually got working.
The trick to this is that PHP is merely a thin layer with a built-in server.

It's difficult to separate meme responses for a lisp and gamedev newfag like me. Even professional lisp programmers posted about how python/perl/matlab could do seemingly complicated tasks quickly compared to lisp. is trolling
a collection of card games, sudoku, command line games. What is the bar of gaming here? Even a decent 80's arcade game would be a nightmare for lisp. Self modifying code wouldn't be easier to debug, it would be a nightmare.

also do check out those games. Realy shitty ones.

>some lowlevel language like c or c++
Calling C++ a "low level language" is beyond ridiculous. Writing your first game in C++ or even C would drive you insane.

The amazing thing about RCT was that Chris Sawyer did that in 1997-2003, a good decade or so after writing games in such an enormously low-level language was relatively mainstream.

The last time I touched a macro assembler for game development on a computer was in the early '90s; the PC wasn't really a good platform for it, because x86 is horrendously ugly compared to, say, the Amiga and ST's 68k. Did some MIPS R3000 on the PlayStation, however, which is fine as long as you don't forget about the delay slots and how awful PSY-Q was.

has a modern, sane take on it, and C was far from rare even in the 80s (I can personally testify that Civ 1 was written in C, for example, but so was game logic of a lot of action games with bits of assembly language sprinkled in for a few tight inner loops).

that must have been an awkward experience for everyone in that room

Java, and barely at that.

Attached: 2097119709001_4124967038001_marcusmansionimagestill[1].jpg (1024x578, 108K)

Why again was he called notch?

He's not Czech.

ssssssssssssso?

Swiss? He worked on the iPhone X I think.

Yeah, I don't know why but I cleared 2 rounds of C++ based phone interviews before they flew me in lol. I am going to stick with hardware companies.

Perfect, but only for the logic and world building parts. Low-level routines still need low-level languages.

The thread I linked to will provide him the information you twat.

I'll never understand people who go from living in a 100~200k home to fucking thinking they need a $70mil house to provide the same comfort.

He doesn't even have children. Hell, he doesn't even have a wife. I mean it doesn't even feel like a place where someone lives. More like a showcase room inside a mall or photoshoot.

Money turns some people into idiots.

Attached: Notch_Mansion_4_embed.jpg (648x432, 83K)

redirect, newfag

it's not a proper tutorial until you tell me all about how dollar shave club cured your gonorrhea, Intel saved your dying parrot and remind me of your patreon 26 times

trying to keep the depression away I guess

C#

>unity

None, just use the engine script.

He even have friends to host

*doesn't have

Fucking migraine

If I had that kind of money, I'd build a clone of Jay Lenos garage, install a kitchen and bathroom and live in it. Couple million, plus a bunch more for cars to fill it up, but that's what I'd want.

Also he made a game about building houses and fighting zombies, so I'm betting he's got one hell of a panic room.

Attached: racksA[1].jpg (640x640, 159K)

>filthy rich
>don't need to ever work for anyone again
>can literally travel the entire world for the rest of life
>never have to worry about being homeless, going hungry or really anything aside from being randomly shot
>somehow fucking depressed
that shit pisses me off.

Those people seem more like Lisp evangelists than trolls

I'd rather just buy like 10 $150k homes than a mansion and just live where ever I want

Why clone Jay Leno's garage (I think he actually has 10) and not have your own?

10 homes is worse than 1x $70 mil house. why do you need 10 houses. 90% of them are just going to be collecting dust and wont be comfortable to live in because you barely use it.

I would buy one good $500k~1mil home, then spend 100k+ on computer gear.

>90% of them are just going to be collecting dust and wont be comfortable to live in because you barely use it.
I'd just let my family members use them rent free when I'm not there desu :)

Social acceptance.
Notice that he's only in three pictures of his own party

Attached: file.png (1356x613, 2.02M)