Honestly if you can't solve this you shouldn't be allowed to get on the internet

Honestly if you can't solve this you shouldn't be allowed to get on the internet.

Attached: 1531362942785.jpg (1531x1144, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2015/apr/13/how-to-solve-albert-bernard-and-cheryls-birthday-maths-problem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl's_Birthday
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

too easy

Can someone explain the black magic required to understand this?
>lol neither of us know
>i magically know now
>lol i do too

process of elimination user
you can turn in your internet card now

is it may 19th?

so either 18 or 19 because they're not dupes?
you didn't explain it

If Cheryl had told Bernard 19 or 18, Bernard would know. If Cheryl had told Albert June, Albert would know.

I cannot see the next step beyond that.

Albert knows the month and Bernard knows the day.
It is possible to deduct the birthday date from their statements.

"Cheryl tells Albert the month and bernard the day."
Albert: I know the month, but not the full date, and I know Bernard doesn't know the full date either"
Bernard: At first i didn't know the full birthday but I know now.

July 16. Fun puzzle

Attached: 084.png (600x512, 298K)

why must women always speak in riddles and are never straightforward?

you guys are really bad at this

i saw this post on biz. July 16.

Step 1: Eliminate May 19 and June 18.
Step 2: Eliminate June (one date remaining in June)
Step 3: Eliminate August 17 (only 17 remaining)

I am stuck. HELP! What is step 4?

closed it when I saw the grammer error

Albert has deduced that the possible dates are July 16, Aug 15 and Aug 17. For him to now know, he must have been told July. Since if he had been told August, he would not know which date for certain is the birthday.

it doesn't have a solution brainlets

How did we eliminate May 15 and May 16?

Are you that low iq? Double negation.

A - from what i know, B cannot know the bd
B - if you can deduce that idk, then i know what info you can have, and from what i know i can deduce the bd
A: does that bitch swallow if we punch her?

>Are you that low iq?
I did not copy/paste from
theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2015/apr/13/how-to-solve-albert-bernard-and-cheryls-birthday-maths-problem

Can't be may, can't be June (months with unique days).
Since B now knows, it means that removing the two months was informative, therefore can't be 14.
Since A now knows, it can only be May 16

neither knows immediately, so it can't be june 18 or may 19, since those numbers are unique (knowing say '19' means it must be may 19)
albert being sure bernard can't know immediately means it can't be june or may, since they're part of the above

what's the difference? you were asking for an explanation anyway

July 16*

kek

Albert knows the month, and the birthdate, so obviously it's one of the months with only two possible dates. The months with 3 possible days he still would be able to know.
So knowing if the day is 14 16 17 or 18 will tell you what month it is.
It's not 14 16 or 17 because then he still wouldn't know which month it is because dupes. One left.
Happy birthday, Cher.

Albert knows the month and he is sure that Bernard doesn't know the full date.
If the month were May he could not be sure that Bernard dosen't know it because the day could be 19 and then he would know. So May is eliminated.

you're calling someone low iq for not knowing how to solve a part of the question where you copied a line from that article verbatim
it's just ironic and you seem like a cunt

Attached: 1511725133057.png (600x800, 657K)

ITT: newfags solving OP'S homework

All Albert knows is July or August
He can eliminate the 14th, but not the others
The answer is Albert doesn't know

easy
may 15 16 19
june 17 18
july 14 16
august 14 15 17

Albert knows the month and Bernard knows the day

Albert knows Bernard can't know, thus Albert has a month which contains only day numbers that occur in another month
Bernard now knows it's not may and june because of the unique days 18 and 19
Bernard knows the day because he holds a unique (in July+August context) number (not 14)
Albert now knows because he holds July, which is the only month of those 2 with single possibility
Thus July 16.

correction:
The months with 3 days he still would NOT be able to know.

/Thread
Now fuck off OP

are they retarded? can't they just tell each other what they heard? i hate capitalism

>separately the month and the day of her birthday respectively
I am too low IQ to get this

3 of the possible days in June and July can be eliminated because they're duplicated in the other 2 months.
The fact that he does know the date is the key.

That stupid thing again?
The days 18 and 19 are exclusive to one month each, and if Bernard heard any of the two he'd know the birthday. Since Albert knows the month and it is neither May nor June, he knows for certain Bernard didn't hear either 18 or 19. That means the month is either July or August.
Now, Bernard reveals to us that by eliminating May and June, he now knows the date. By eliminating them, you only have single 15, 16 and 17 per month. If he heard one of them, he could now match the month.
During this statement, Albert learns that the day is not 14 because it's unaffected by cancelling May and June. Now that he eliminated 14, he has only one day remaining in his month: July 16.

but if reversed: Albert knows the day and Bernard knows the month
Albert doesn't know thus he doesn't have 18 and 19, the fact the Alb knows Ber doesn't know is not surprising here
Bernard didn't initially know but when he knows it's not 18 and 19, he knows now because he had June as the only month with single possibility left
Albert can easily deduce it's June 17.

this scenario has much simpler reasoning

Except for the typo, {would vs wouldn't} this is the answer.
It's not a month with 3 possible days, because knowing the day would not give him all the info he needs.
3 of 4 days in the remaining 2 months (each with 2 possible days) can be eliminated because they are also duplicated in May + August.
He does know, so it must be June 18. Otherwise, he could not be certain.

OP is right. If you can't use a search engine to find the solution then you shouldn't be on the Internet.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl's_Birthday

How is it not June 17th

>Albert knows the date is 17th, but since there are duplicate 17ths he is unsure which month
>Bernard knows its in June but unsure of the date. However the only options are 17th and 18th. By Albert saying he doesnt know the date (thus removing the 18th, since its the only 18th on the list so he would know if it was that one) Bernard easily deduces its the 17th, the only date in that month that wouldve made Albert unsure.

How the fuck is everyone getting answers in July when that month has 2 dates with duplicates? Am I missing something?

Attached: IMG_20180708_160430.jpg (640x960, 146K)

Not 18 or 19 as Bernard would know, hence not may or june or Albert wouldn't know that Bernard doesn't know. Bernard know knows the month is July or August and also knows the birthday. Only possible July/aug date that would allow Albert to know is 16. July 16.

can someone answer what this means please? I don't like to read latter part of a problem if I get stuck somewhere.

step 1: albert knows that bernard doesn't know, so eliminate all months with have any unique days, becase if it was a month with a unique day it could have been possible for bernard to know if it had been that unique day.
step 2: now that may and june are eliminated, it can't be either 14th because then bernard still wouldn't know which month.
step 3: because albert knows the date for sure, it can only be July 16th because had it been august he still couldn't tell between the 15th and the 17th.

problem with this puzzle is that albert still couldn't have known, so the only way to deduce the date is to not take alberts perspective but just to accept that albert now knows and the only way for him to know is that all but 1 possibilities of a month are elimiated.

>Month and day respectively

Ignore my retard post completely missed this crucial detail

The real solution is to smack her across the face and tell her to stop being an obtuse cunt and spit the damn date out of her cock sucker.

true.

July 16th.
If albert knows that bernard doesn't know, then you can eliminate all months where the date is unique. May 19th and June 18th were the ones with unique days. Thus, Bernard would know immediately the birthday if he were told one of these days. Since Albert knows it cannot be one of these dates amd all he is given is the month, we can eliminate May and June.
The date options at this point are { 14, 15, 16, 17 }. Since at this point Bernard knows everything from the date, it can't be July 14th or August 14th, since if he were given 14, he wouldn't know which one to choose. Thus, the options left are July 16th, August 15th, and August 17th.
The only way for Alfred to know at this point her exact birthday at this point is if it were in July. If he were given August, he would still not know between August 15th, and August 17th.
This, her birthday is on July 16th.
C-can I stay here with you guys?

read
at first i also thought the same as you, but this user helped me understand. Bernard can't know the birthday based on the day alone, which means it's not May or June. Then 16 is the only unique day in the two remaining months.

Albert is given the month. He knows that Bernard doesn't know, so it cannot be MAY or JUNE. If Bernard was given 19 or 18, he would know whether the date right away, which goes against what Albert said. So the month given to Albert was either JULY or AUGUST.

Bernard realizes that fact as well after hearing out Albert, so he can make a decision on picking the only acceptable value at 16, JUNE.

Oops, meant JULY 16th but fucked it up with the typo.

>He knows that Bernard doesn't know, so it cannot be MAY or JUNE. If Bernard was given 19 or 18, he would know whether the date right away
Why would it eliminate whole May and June?
We only know it can't be May 19 or June 18, there are still three other possible days in these months.

Why the fuck would I waste precious calories and brain power to even attempt to solve such an asinine puzzle? These puzzles are always gay as fuck, written by some cunt who thinks he's witty. Get fucked in the ass with a broken bottle and die, niggerfaggot.

t. cannot and will not solve your gay puzzle

Attached: considersuicidecaptchafail.jpg (735x280, 42K)

quite simply, the statement "I know Bernard doesn't know" means he can't know based on the day alone. the only two months that can be chosen based on day alone are May and June.

How could Albert *know* that Bernard doesn't know?

If Albert thinks it's June or May, then he wouldn't be able to confirm if Bernard doesn't know. Because if the day were 18 or 19, Bernard would automatically know.

Albert knows that Bernard doesn't know the exact date ==> Albert has a month with no unique date numbers. The fact that we can eliminate May 19 and June 18 is a corollary of that implication.

Trying again.

Albert eliminates 18 and 19. He also eliminates June 17th, because he would otherwise know as its the only remaining June value.

We are now left with only one value of 17, August 17th. So Bernard knows, and then Albert knows.

>grammer
closed when I saw the spelling error

Attached: 1531415575701.png (720x781, 111K)

Oh, right. I forgot Albert came to that conclusion knowing only a month.

I wonder what level of autism I have to actually do these.

Attached: process.png (636x467, 23K)

albert knows bernard does not know as a fact, which means the month SOLELY contains dates that are repeated from other months.
bernard takes this and states that he knows the full date, this is because bernard knows that albert has narrowed it down to august & july, since bernard knows what the full date is, it's not the 14th of either month, because that would leave the month ambiguous to him. then, since albert states he knows, that means he has no remaining ambiguity in his month, which means it has to be the 16th of july.

i think this is the "no knowledge" exchange that autists are really excited about, but if the observer can solve it it's not very fucking useful now is it.

you're forgetting that Albert knows the month. Had Albert been told May or June, then there's a chance Bernard was told 19 or 18, and he wouldn't be able to 100% say "I know Bernard doesn't know".

It's kinda funny you know
I discovered Jow Forums when I was 13.
I remember that I would browse /sci/ and Jow Forums and I would actually think "wow, they are smart"
Can you believe it?

underrated post

I dont get it either, and I don't know if these faggots actually know the answer or if they're larping.

We don't know what Albert and Bernard were told separately, other than 10 different dates which we already have, and we have nothing to separate these out with or go through the process of elimination with.

I can't understand this at all.

Maybe if Cheryl wasn't such a bitch and told her birthday like a normal person, I would care
No birthday presents for you, Cheryl

Attached: 1443722956058.jpg (1024x1024, 164K)

>Bernard given 19
Bernard knows its May 19.
>Bernard given 18
Bernard knows its June 18.

So Bernard had to be given a value of 14, 15, 16, 17.

Albert understands this, so he eliminates those values. June now has only one listing, so if he was given June he'd know its the 17th. But he doesn't, so he cross it out.

Then there is only one value in the entire field which would make Bernard know, and subsequently Albert.

The OP used dumb meme text with it but nice puzzle. You seem angry.

Attached: they're talking about you.png (331x175, 57K)

This is actually unsolvable just like that autism test where you have to draw 1 line

okay, i thought i understood the answer to be July 16 but i'm back for more because i don't think i get it anymore.

1. Bernard can't know the birthday based on the day alone, therefore it's not May nor June. So we're left with July and August.

*BERNARD NOW KNOWS*

2. 14 is not an option, because Bernard wouldn't know if it's July or August at this stage yet. Therefore we're left with July 16, August 15, August 17.

3. ????

4. PROFIT!

Final version with better description.

Attached: Untitled picture.png (697x397, 31K)

this

right. so the only way Albert would know the answer after step 2, is if it was a unique month. so it is July and therefore July 16. panic averted.

>So Bernard had to be given a value of 14, 15, 16, 17.
>Albert understands this, so he eliminates those values.

You're jumping to conclusions, m8.

After C tells A and B the month and day respectively, A is the first one to say something. He has no idea whether B has been given 18 or 19 (which would mean that B knows the full date).

If the first thing that A and B said was "I don't know the full date, given that I know the month/day", *then* you can conclude that B must've been given 14-17.

Albert knows the month and says Bernard can't know the answer just from the number, so we can eliminate all months with unique days i.e. May and June.

With only July and August remaining, Bernard claims he knows the birthday, meaning he sees a unique number, so we can eliminate 14.

Now Albert says he knows, meaning he sees a month with only one date, so we can eliminate August.

Her birthday is on July 16.

See

mistake at step 1 leads you to the wrong conclusion

no, see

What's the mistake at step 1?

have you read ?
>Albert knows the month and says Bernard can't know the answer just from the number, so we can eliminate all months with unique days i.e. May and June.

You're not using the information that Albert knows the month.

The dialog is actually important to the problem, you autists.

Why would we eliminate the entire month of May if it can't be the 19th? It could have, easily been May 15 or 16 and satisfied both Albert not knowing, and Bernard not knowing.
Right, but there is no way for him to determine the day using any information. All he can do is eliminate as much as possible and let Bernard solve it with missing info

May has 3 days, why the fuck can you eliminate it

that was enjoyable, thanks

1) for P to not know X and Y means X and Y are both non-primes
that means S sees X + Y _can't_ be expressed as a sum of two prime numbers
that leave us with 24 options for X+Y

2) for P to now know the solution, he has to get it from rules, ^ and knowledge of factorization of X*Y
that could be done if X*Y is product of some non-prime X and Y being big prime that's bigger than 50
that leaves us with 10 primes for Y and 13 options for X+Y

3) for S to now know, X+Y can't be expressed with multiple options for the big prime as Y
this means 4+53=57 and 6+53=59 are the only two possible solutions

because I didn't get unique definitive solution I have a suspicion that I'm wrong somewhere

Not sure about your assertion that X and Y are *both* non-prime

Makes no sense, why can we eliminate may? May 16th exists .

It's not humanely possible for Albert to know Bernard doesn't know by the way.

The only thing it would eliminate is a unique month with a single unique number date entry.

Dumb puzzle

if X and Y were primes, P would know the solution from the beginning
if S would see that X+Y can be expressed as sum of 2 primes, he could not be sure that P doesn't know the solution

had Albert been told "May", then the birthday could have been on the 19th. then Albert would not not be able to say, without a doubt, "Bernard doesn't know".

had Albert been told "June", then the birthday could have been on the 18th. then Albert would not not be able to say, without a doubt, "Bernard doesn't know".

Explain better please.

albert can infer from his information that bernhard cant know. there is a difference between that and albert and bernhard sequentially stating that they dont know after which alfred can infer from the information, which is what the other dude did.

albert knows its not august or july because they dont have the unique dates that would allow bernard to know.

Proof in action. Parenthetical remarks are internal dialogue.

A: (I have July.)
B: (I have the 16th.)
A: (Because I have July -- which has two dates -- I don't know what the birthday is. However, I can say this:) I know that B doesn't know. (Why can I say this? If the date is July 14 and B has 14, then he might guess either July 14 or August 14; same for July 16 and May 16).
B: At first I didn't know C's birthday (because I had 16, which could've been May 16 or July 16). But I know now. (Why? Because A could only have said what he said if he had a month with no unique dates. If A had May, I might've had the 19th, which would mean I'd know the birthday. Since A has a month with no unique dates, that leaves July and August, eliminating May 16 and leaving July 16).
A: Then I also know when Cheryl's birthday is. (Because if it were July 14, B couldn't possibly arrive to that as the birthday, as August 14 is still a possibility, considering that I've all but said that I have a month with no unique days. That leaves July 16, which works as May 16 has been eliminated).

You're not making sense

Now format it in a way that isn't awful. Why can't any of you explain it

Yes but if only one of them was prime then it might be ambiguous right?

albert is not beeing told that bernhard does not know but he knows by the merit of the month he was told. therefore it cant be july or august.

bad explanation , assumes the answer is already known and just ruins the puzzle

July 16th

>Albert doesn't know, obviously because each month has at least two dates
>Albert knows that Bernard doesn't know, because only May and June have a unique date (18th and 19th), and because he knows that it's neither of these months, he knows that Bernard doesn't know the exact date
>From this, Bernard knows that it has to be either July or August.
>He tells us that he now knows the exact date.
>It can't be the 14th because he does only know that it's either July or August.
>It could be the 15th, 16th or 17th, we don't know that yet.
>But from Albert's last statement, we can deduce that it's the 16th.
>It can't be August, because then Bernard would know, but Albert wouldn't (he still could not be sure if it's August 15 or 17)
>But because both Albert and Bernard can tell the date for sure, we know that it's July 16.