When will VR be ready?

When will VR be ready?

I think it's when standalone headsets get gud. Nobody wants the cables and plugging in to a pig disgusting PC etc.

When Oculus SANTA CRUZ comes (standalone), VR will see wide adoption. Thoughts?

Attached: htc-vive-focus-vr-angle-1519914901-xy7k-full-width-inline-1522195996-VJAu-column-width-inline.jpg (865x486, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pimaxvr.com/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hate that Head Mounted Displays are being called VR... we won't get actual VR for decades, maybe centuries.

HMDs will get popular once they stop being as big as a brick and like you said, the standalone ones will drive mass adoption.

Once there is decent content.
Which is never.

When it becomes easily affordable.
This too.

When the resolution is good enough for 12pt text to be comfortably readable.

Honestly though, VR is most likely not going to be a thing for very, very long time. Normies won't have enough use for it.

AR will be mainstream decades before VR is.

>I hate that Head Mounted Displays are being called VR... we won't get actual VR for decades, maybe centuries.
Someone actually gets it

>When will VR be ready?
Once gen 2 releases with 4k per eye at 120hz.

Once it is wireless by default and cheap and the tracking is as accurate as the current Vive

When it becomes contact lenses + wireless headpones. Or, holograms. Everything else is shit nobody wants especially with 0 content. There's nothing you can do on it that you can't do better using a screen with a keyboard or controller.

how is htc vive pro regarding reading 12pt text? the l33tgaymer-reviewers refused to talk about this except for that it has been improved.

it's barely an improvement, and they jacked the price by like $1,000

here's some fag's comparison (Vive Pro on left, Vive on right) the note in the top is his supersampling res

Attached: dcEc8U3.jpg (1548x942, 330K)

They have wireless already, m8.

VR is already more than "ready". They won't go massively mainstream until 1) the costs and PC requirements go way down and 2) the headsets are made even lighter and more breathable to the point where it barely feels like you're wearing something strapped to your head.

take a look at the post right above yours. that isn't zoomed in, that's what it looks like in the headset. I ain't strapping shit to my face that looks like that.

? I own a Samsung Odyssey, uses literally the exact same screen in the Vive Pro. That's not how it looks when you're wearing it unless you're intentionally focusing your eyes on the pixels instead of the image. Resolution is already at a sufficient level for anything that doesn't involve extremely fine details, like reading instrument panels on a realistic flight simulator or something.

Improved but not good enough for a monitor replacement desktop setup. Not unless you use large fonts, set the desktop resolution low, and use programs that scale well.

Do people here really hate the cables? I love that shit it makes me feel like I'm hooked to the matrix

So you recommend the VIVE? I really want to get into VR and not sure if I wait for next gen or buy now :(

maybe if you have shit eyes. it's worse than a regular 1080p monitor. it's awful.

Wait till the next gen, it's probably coming 2019-2020 and will at the very least drive down the prices of the old headsets.

I'm waiting for gen2, I don't care how long it takes. Oculus has already shown the tech and it's going to shitstomp gen1 so hard

What is gen2? is Oculus Santa Cruz gen2?

you do not need standalone headsets to get rid of the cable, wireless headsets will accomplish it, and are much closer to being on the market

>VR

Oh yeah, i remember VR in 1998 was a fad, now is fad, again

Attached: Virtual-Boy.jpg (2660x3380, 984K)

For Oculus gen 2 is Half Dome for desktop VR and Santa Cruz for standalone VR.
Valve's working on their knuckles controller for their gen2 but we have no idea what the fuck they're doing with headsets.

It's much better now though mate.

The real sin is that this was attempted on smartphones of all platforms.

Any of you tried Pimax?

pimaxvr.com/en/

200 degrees fov and 4K resolution. Sounds too good to be true..

When can I get a decent standalone headset?
I want to feel a little bit of immersion, I don't even care about quality content, even demos are fine... but I tried smartphone vr and it sucked... is Oculus Go gonna give me that or better wait for Santa Cruz ...?

I also want to play this: youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw

So for starters I hear the tracking is kinda shite on those, and the refresh rate and response time aren't great either so I hope you're good at dealing with motion sickness.
Next the more you increase the fov the worse the pixels/degree get, so even with the resolution bump the clarity probably won't be much better than other headsets.
Also by increasing the fov you get more and more distortion and chromatic aberration in your peripheral vision.
Lastly very few games actually support VR with that high fov so you won't get that much use out of it's one standout feature anyway.

I really hate VR and 3D. They're gimmicks. Memes.

>Virtual Boy is VR because it has Virtual in the name
nice meme
Virtual Boy was always just a Gameboy in 3D

Pimax are retards, current software does not handle super-high FoV well, it stretches and warps at the edges. Not to mention that most of the GPU power goes into pixels at the edges where you won't be looking, instead of in the center.

Also it is worse than the Vive Pro in pixel density because the pixels are stretched across a much higher FoV.

you can turn in one of your eyeballs, then. you won't be needing it for that gimmicky depth perception.

VR Is Ready For The World, The World Just Isn't Ready For VR

I've tried the Playstation VR headset. Seemed fine to me.

All I'm waiting for is the 1170.

Deep.

It's true but also it's much bigger than 1080p monitor, you can use size to compensate.

Jaden is that you?

The game doesn't need to specifically support high fov, steamvr takes care of that automatically.

How Can Virtual Be Reality If Our Reality Isn't Real

htc vive pro can be/is wireless?

Attached: IMG_0138_0.jpg (1366x768, 144K)

yes

I didn't care at first but after about a half year of owning my vive the cables naturally start coiling and twisting around themselves all the time. There's probably a name for this because it happens with all kinds of wired appliances.

Oculus Go uses a single controller that only has three degrees of freedom, so you're not going to be playing beat saber on it.

Honestly I'd much rather have a headset that leverages my existing computer rather than a standalone thing that either is not as powerful or makes the device super expensive.

Tried a previous prototype. It was terrible. But who knows, maybe they've improved. As always, wait for reviews when it's finally out.