Dumbster Diving

Did you ever find usefull, valuable or interesting tech in the garbage Jow Forums?
What is your best find?

Attached: DSC00671.jpg (1632x1224, 458K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BxYuDHGDrp0
youtu.be/abIo-_84d7E
youtube.com/watch?v=iSFaRtLpMyQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the fuck im not a hobo

I once dumpster dived for a printed serial key of Kaspersky AV I had accidentally thrown away. At least a day had passed but I couldn't find it.

You're just a homo.

cringe
based and redpilled

My best finds were a fully working DAB radio, fully working Windows 10 laptop (power cord was broken so they threw the whole thing out!!), model-m keyboards, and lots and lots of 500GB hard drives.

Remember, it's not illegal unless it's locked or within a restricted area.

Golden rule is if it's in the bin it's the bin owners property. If it's besides the bin (ie bin overflowing or person just lazy) it's fair game.

>power cord was broken so they threw the whole thing out!!
God bless dumbass boomers and normies.

Anybody know what that thing is? Looks like a giant VCR

Attached: DSC00673.jpg (1632x1224, 279K)

For dubbing tapes, I assume?

>Arrive at the electrical recycling center at 6am
>Everything already pulled out of the bin and all the good stuff gone

Some fucker keeps beating me to it every day, FUCK

Attached: 1459294927660.jpg (816x812, 132K)

I found lots of nice things in the trash.
Like this i5-2500+8GB DDR3 Ram former office PC

Attached: 20180529_194510.jpg (4128x2322, 2.66M)

Or these CPUs

Attached: 20180604_151328.jpg (4128x2322, 2.34M)

That's a broadcast-tier Panasonic AG-7750 S-VHS VTR.

youtube.com/watch?v=BxYuDHGDrp0

It's broadcast sVHS, so yeah. commercial vcr.

Oh wow thats pretty interesting will have a look into it, thanks.

Stay there overnight, dummy.

all the places i go to are locked or are actual garbage
where do i find computers and other small valuables?

craigslist

Pair of JBL control 1.
Ended up giving them to a thrift store.

Attached: rs_DSCF2602.jpg (2144x1608, 2.05M)

I get most of my food from the local supermarket bin. They throw out perfectly good stuff.

It's illegal in Germany. The police got me for "stealing" old posters from GameStop trash. They only throw away minor stuff and the workers keep the good things or sell it on ebay.

Really? Well fuck I didn't know that.

Attached: Dd05wIIVwAAkfPK.jpg (1393x1000, 92K)

German laws on that topic are so retarded. It's considered theft if you take something from the trash.
I worked in a big market and it's unbelievable how much good food gets thrown away every fucking day. Me and my co-workers took a lot of food, but it's nothing compared to the rest we left.
such a shame

I don't know about Germanistan but here in Burgerland a lot of places throw out food because if they were to give it away or sell it at a discount or something, then there's a chance someone would get sick and sue them and probably win.

>and sue them
someone wrote its the only way to get rich in america, kek

I don't mean to quote Current Year man John Oliver but the way he presented it, there are exemptions that those donating food out of good will and not intending (or know of) potential complications cannot be sued due to illness.
It's a stigma nobody talks about so they keep claiming what they think is true without being certain of it.

Recently got an Optiplex 3020 for free.
It comes with a 4th gen i3-4160, 8gb of ram and a Samsung 128gb SSD.
Even had a Win7 Pro sticker on the botton and works like a charm.

Attached: Optiplex 3020.jpg (2492x2004, 559K)

>woman goes to McDonalds drive-through
>orders a coffee
>spills the coffee on her lap
>burns herself
>sues McDonald's
>wins several million dollars
This literally happened here. You really do get rich filing stupid, frivolous lawsuits.

Attached: burger.jpg (301x200, 65K)

>Guy drives his RV
>decided to go brew some coffee in the middle of driving and leaves the steering wheel with cruise control on
>the RV goes into a corn field
>the guy sues the RV company because the manual says you can't leave the steering wheel while driving with cruise control on
>wins several million dollars
>now every manual says you are not allowed to leave the steering wheel just because cruise control in on

*doesn't say

How the fuck did he win? I refuse to believe he could hire bigger nosed lawyers than the RV company could.

>In November 2000, Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he could not actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago.

>being retarded is the norm in america

Cool find, take it home.

Jesus Christ how did they even find you? How were you charged?

>Did you ever find usefull, valuable or interesting tech in the garbage Jow Forums?

Yep.

>What is your best find?
A working IBM Model M keyboard.

This post, while factually correct, doesn't actually represent the truth.

What really happened :
>McDonalds has it's coffee way to hot
>Many people have been burned by coffee
>McDonalds gets off light and is told to reduce temp of coffee
>McDonalds doesn't
>Repeat for many years
>Finally courts have had enough and award millions of damages
>McDonalds finally reduces the temp of their coffee.

This is about corporate greed, not litigious greed.

OBSESSED
B E
S S
E S
S E
S S
E B
DESSESBO

golden rule is N/A in the US of A

More lazyness/unthoughtfulness. Keeping coffee constantly at boiling point is very energetically demanding, not to mention you are going to ruin the drink too.

>not litigious greed
pretty much this, she only sued to cover medical costs and it was the courts that decided to award millions in punitive damages
mcdicks did one hell of a pr campaign on that one to make the public think that they did nothing wrong

they did it so that the coffee would still be hot when people arrive at work 10-20 minutes later basically

If you actually read the documents and testimonies about that case, McD states over and over that the temp for their coffee is by design/to brew the best coffee and there's ample warnings all over for retards to know that something really hot will burn them.

That dumbass old lady was carrying the coffee between her legs when she squeezed the cup and it burned her.

every piece of tech I have came from a dumpster.

Apple Store?

is me.

no, but a former apple investor speaker I know gave me his collection of 20+computers(including a lenovo u110 and a strange mac with no logos and it has no hdd and no screen hinges, could be a beta macbook from the early 2ks)

It burned her severely. You should look at the photos. Liquids intended for human consumption should not be served at temperatures that can cause burns that severe.

>dumbass old lady
I hope when you get old and your body starts failing you, a 22 year old degenerate beats you within an inch of your life for walking too slowly on the sidewalk. The irony of it all would be perfect.

Sweet the best I got for free Apple wise was this 1.42Ghz iBook G4 (last version) and an iPod Nano Gen 2 lel

Attached: iBook G4.jpg (1214x1006, 267K)

nice, btw I'm sorry but I cant post pics of the beta macbook, I had to sign a nds just to get it from him. All I can say though was that they had a lot better i/o planned for the first macbook air

picked up a pioneer TX-608L in near perfect condition in exchange for a 5 dollar tip. Dumpster man is now my bro and lets me pick up any pc for a few bucks.

Attached: IMG_0041bweb.jpg (653x343, 83K)

I've been hoarding retro computers for decades without problems.
I live in Germany.

From dumpsters that is

I do the same at a junk yard and I only have to pay the parts weight in mixed scrap prices which is like 13cent/kg.
And when I pick a bunch of RAM sticks or a few CPUs he just waves me off and gives them to me for free because he doesn't want to bother weighing them

Attached: 20180504_204353.jpg (2322x4128, 1.84M)

What dumbsters? Just apartment block dumbsters or store dumbsters?
Teach me based Rolf

Scrap/metal recycling outfits.
They are rarer these days because their outputs, apart from metals, are toxic and polluting.

Man I always wanted to do that. Always though they only take tech junk not sell it

yeah, I mean some things are just common sense. You can feel it, shit is hot. It says on the container "contents are hot", third, for fucks sake cars/trucks do have a thing called "cup" holders you know.

Sometimes you can score stuff at places like Goodwill. Or by doing "tech support" on the side. Scored some pretty good things this way. Got a complete 12 yr old Dell dimension tower (The last model Dimension, 9 series I think) due to customer complaining that "it failed to boot". So I removed hdd and stuck it into a docking bay. Backed up all they're docs. Told customer that a ram stick was bad. (it was). They said "we'll just buy a new computer, for your trouble we'll give you the old one plus the agreed upon fee". So I got a old pc with only bad thing is a ram stick.

That woman initially just asked for the McDonald's to cover her medical bills. The court found that particular McDonald's was negligent enough that she was awarded punitive damages on top of that because they continuously ignored warnings that the coffee they were serving was too fucking hot and people were getting severely burned by it spilling on them similar to the woman in the case.

the case also showed that while mcdonalds claimed the temperature was high enough so that it would remain hot for a journey internal mcdonalds research found that most people intended to drink the coffee immediately while driving, and the case also demonstrated that the coffee would cause burns if consumed when served
the jury did find her 20% at fault but still awarded millions in damages before the judge reduced it to $640k, only for her and mcdonalds to settle out of court for less than $600k, all she wanted originally was $20k to cover $10.5k medical expenses and the rest for future expenses but mcdonalds offered $800 which probably went some way towards the jury awarding damages so high
>and there's ample warnings all over for retards to know that something really hot will burn them.
you say that but the jury found the warning at the time (in the early 90s) to be insufficient and one of the only things to come out of the case was far more warnings on cups and more rigid cups at that

Ever try digging around the hard drives? Find anything good on em?

Was this a jury trial?

Working W500 with 2 docks and 2 psu

Picture i forgot

Attached: 20180713_015423.jpg (4032x3024, 2.56M)

We do free electronic recycling.
Recently grabbed three T400, a T410 and a T420. Ive also gotten maybe 4-5 Sata SSDs, a few msata ones mostly from cracked surfaces, and like two m.2 SSDs. Every once in a while we'll find some older gpus, like a 7950 recently, 5770, and similar era nvidia cards.

We also get alot of macbooks due to a college nearby, mostly with bad hdds.
The worst was a liquid cooled i7 build that a guy claimed we fried. So he never picked it up...and we'll only hold it for 180 days, so we divided that up between us.

the list goes on.

Also got this 1.1 MacPro. We had this 1.1, and two 2.1's recycled in a week. Everybody got one. Haven't seen any more since.
It had a bad X1950. Grabbed a 4870 on ebay and now it runs game servers.

Attached: MacProServer.jpg (801x634, 111K)

what the fuck, Germany?

There's literally a reason that some pistols have "fires without the magazine" engraved into the slide.

Man, I wish people threw good stuff away like that in Brazil so I could get some freebies, but computer electronics are so goddamn expensive here that most of us use them until they break beyond repair.

Dumpster diving is a grey area in some countries (and US too I believe in some states). While most people don't care that you take stuff from their trash they can arrest you for stealing if they so wish as technically someone owns the trash. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet but I did almost got caught by the cops once after someone ratted on me.

Can only confirm this. Im working at at an big company, here in germany even trash is considered as company invertory. Counts as theft if you get caught. If i want to scavange something i have to sign some detailed papers what i picked up, get an ok from my superior and show everything at the security post at the exit.

In America I believe you can take anything if its left out by the curb for trash pick up. If its in a dumpster in a public area its also fair game but if the dumpster is locked or in a secure area on private property its considered trespassing and possibly stealing. You'll still want to check your local laws though.

>tfw my current computer is worse than what this guy finds in the trash
youtu.be/abIo-_84d7E

Attached: 299_where_i_live__a9658289813eff1e22219ccb88c1265c.jpg (271x325, 23K)

Can you still HaX0r teh Gi8s0n with telco secrets from the trash?
youtube.com/watch?v=iSFaRtLpMyQ

11 HP machines with i5-3570 1155 cpus. 4 worked perfect. 6 had bad power supplies. 2 bad ram after testing. HD missing on all. last 4 seemed to be gutted except for CPU. Had a blast, bought bulk ITX 1155 boards and cases with PS, added spare HDs I had and some DDR3 laying around and instant Christmas gifts.

pulled some old laptops from a college a long time ago, just recently found the hard drives that I didn't format over and did basic file recovery to look for nudes or any hot goss from the early 2000s, but I found nothing.

a silicon graphics irix indigo
100%

Some hard drives and cd drives ill never use, also computer speakers

I found this in the trash one night. 8 of the bays were populated. I use the one WD Yellow drives to keep stuff on now. Idk what to do with the rest of it. It has some network controller things in the back that sell for a shit ton on ebay.

Attached: 20180227_201942.jpg (2560x1440, 718K)

It amazes me how willing people are to believe that story, given it's pretty much pure propaganda.

fuckin nice

Attached: nice.png (376x253, 106K)

Oh also thats a netapp DS424(3/6) you can plug a raid card into that and get that to have all the drives present to the raid card.

>driving around on garbage day looking for loot to flip
>find a box with an NES, SNES, Genesis, all cables and controllers and about 40 games
>everything in perfect condition
>lol mine now bitch
>mfw some dumb kids parents probably tossed them because "they were old and he wasn't using them anymore"
I wish I could see that kid's face when he got home to find his mom cleaning out his room for him lmao

Attached: urnot.jpg (480x360, 9K)

Get a job and stop being poor

You should've left the shittier games there to piss the kid off even more.

Every time I see pro equipment at the dump I'm tempted to grab it but then I realize they're likely broken beyond repair but then I take it anyway only to bring it back once I realize it's totally dead.

Fuck no, I'm the one that throws away the shit that you dig out of the trash.

>being a wagecuck
no thanks

Attached: 74b9cfd36f8ea36ec6c3cf132bda50bbefe2f24b3c53cedfc71263b2e96b299e.png (600x579, 271K)

I took a pentium 4 from a junk yard once

did it heat your home for years?

My old P4 shitbox literally hit 102°C playing L4D2. 2 fucking degrees above boiling point. The shutoff temperature was something unreal like 109 or something so the housefire meme was as real as it gets.

That's to stop employees throwing out shit they want

oh, cool. Thanks for the info. I will check that out for sure.

Based basedposter

yeah my shrink was telling me about this law suit the guy actually fucking won, but in the version I heard it was a woman who stepped away from the wheel

Learn to research. It's true, the old lady got severe burns on her legs and required hospitalization. She was only looking for McDonald's to cover her medical costs.

I heard a friend once that one of his friends got awarded like a million dollars because he fell while walking and broke his nose

Intel SFF 6200 Pro, Dell Latitude D520, D530, PS2 with games, and a 32' CRT