Java is a great language

I'm pretty open minded and I try to listen to people but in this case all haters can go fuck themselves.
It's a great language and unless you really need some low level bullshit there's nothing wrong with using it.
I've wondered for a very long time why it got so much hate but I couldn't find a valid reason. All my experiences with it have been rather pleasant.
In the cases where it doesn't fit you can of course use a different language. It's only a tool after all.
But just cause the hammer might not be the right tool every time doesn't mean it's a shit tool.
Get off the normie bandwagon and admit that it's a decent language.

Attached: 1c1uej.jpg (720x709, 50K)

I refuse to even give you the (You).

Just like java, your post is too verbose.

The guy who knows only java

I don't want your (you), shitbag.
It's a bit verbose but that's not that big of a deal.
Also I find that Java's standard libaries are very extensive which in turn means you don't waste time and code reinventing the wheel every goddamn time.

I've started with Delphi which is a relict and I've used C++, too, but I never got comfortable with it.
Why waste time on basic shit when it can be done twice as fast in Java?

t. student who just finished their first programming course and is now mimicking the words of his professor

Very good argument. Except I'm mechanical engineer and only do this shit for fun.

yeah Java is good. performance is good, scalability is the best, industry standard so the libraries are all well designed and well maintained. log4j is great, tomcat and jetty are great, all the xml tools are great, all the database access stuff is great

drawbacks:
too verbose
pretty much NEED an IDE to be productive
writing a small java program is annoying; it's not straightforward to just run your shit
jsp is annoying
java is too "rigid" in many respects; javac makes you do everything correctly and yells at you for slight fudges
a bit too complicated, like wtf is a Bean and how do i do "synchronized" correctly and how do i make sure my threads terminate correctly, what's the correct way to do interfaces

that's why most of the time i prefer to write python for any lightweight task. and honestly a lot of the time for a small program to do a one-off task like looping through some data, C++ or C is quicker to write, and performs better. the niche for java is for "production grade" programs

scala looks real nice though. i'm gonna learn it one of these days. see if i can harness the power of the JVM without all the verbosity

Too much baggage. A 20kb exe or a full java dl

Attached: 1366058320958.png (320x272, 160K)

>i'm mechanical engineer
>i started a thread where i convince myself that i did a right choice

What choice? It's not like you can only know one language. I'm still waiting for a reason to hate Java.

Every problem has a particular tool which solves it so if you need to create your own OS based on java my blessings to you.

I write software that talks to hardware over a network. Java's ridiculous hardline stance against unsigned types makes this code about five times more verbose and brittle than it would be in the first place.
The JVM has great tooling, sure. The garbage collector is fast. It's nice that I don't have to worry about array-to-pointer decay. These are some of the good things I have to say about Java, and none of them are specific to Java. It doesn't have anything going for it that isn't done better by some other language.
If I wanted to write Java, I'd write Dart.

Scala dev here. Java really is okay.. people forget it's quite old and Java 8+ brings some fresh air into Java. People on this board make stupid comparisons to C.. it's not like anyone would write a driver in Java. Java has its use cases and it's doing well there. It's most certainly better than all the JS idiody we have been experiencing over the last few years.

Yeah sure, it might not be the best language. My only gripe is with people who have an unrational hatred for Java and act all smug about it.

>java is a great c++ application

Attached: bjarne2.png (291x383, 244K)

Here's my thing with Java. I've been working with .NET/C# for about 4 years now professionally. C# is a better overall language in my opinion. It's more the .NET FCL that makes it so much better than the language itself though, although Java appears to be playing catch-up to C# in a number of syntax related areas.

I've tried Java for a professional project involving a web server, CRM integrations, and machine learning which eventually failed, more due to a lack of vision than the language itself, but I do have a few big problems with it.

In Java, you got these things called EJBs, Enterprise Java Beans. I think this is part of Java EE and it's probably used in Spring, pretty much the biggest mainstream Java all-in-one web application framework, as well. What the fuck they do, like how their logic is implemented, is a complete and total fucking mystery. I seriously never understood how they worked conceptually.

Spring itself is another issue. The documentation is huge and organized in such a way that it's very difficult to find what you need. Then it too has a bunch of weird annotations and shit that makes no fucking sense conceptually. Then to make things even more difficult you now have Spring Boot and a bunch of other offshoots which never really explain the difference between Spring Boot and Spring in terms of performance, overhead, etc. Just garbage documentation again.

Another thing is that you will get really fucking annoying classpath exceptions from time to time for seemingly no reason whatsoever that prevent you from building it debugging your program.

The language itself is pretty nice if you ignore all the whacky shit in Spring and EE and other shit you typically find in enterprise applications. Great selection of libraries, as a matter of fact I'm using one in a .NET program with this neat tool called IKVM because there is no C# port of it.

>Java EE
>Spring
You should look into Vert.x

Good comment

I think you've misunderstood me. You're saying Java is "not the best language" as if to imply, yeah, there are one or two languages that are slightly better than Java. And I'm saying, Java is broken in such embarrassing ways that you can't piss in the dark without getting it all over a better language, including many languages that I am really not a fan of. Go is better. Python is better. Perl might be better, maybe. I haven't touched it in a good few years now but it's probably better than Java for what a lot of people do. That's point #1 that you absolutely need to understand: "Better than Java" is not a high bar to clear.

Now, if nobody used Java, nobody would care about the ways it sucks. Big deal, people can use what they want, right? Except when they have to use what the platform (or the boss) provides. Java is a major culprit here. Part of why it's widespread is all the promotional deals Sun was striking back in the 90s and early 2000s. Take, for example, the name of JavaScript. Just the name. It's named after Java. They did that for money. It worked. Java ran around laying its eggs in everything and now it's everywhere. Fucking bedbugs are easier to exterminate. And because it's so common, people are forced to use it at work, even when they work for themselves, and that means they have to confront its shortcomings. It means Java is making their work more difficult, on a day-to-day basis, than it would otherwise need to be.

If someone comes by your desk and slaps you in the face with his dick every 20 minutes, you'll get sick of your work. And the problem here is not the fact that he has a dick. I'm sure it's a fine dick, obviously long enough to slap people in the face with. It's well within your right to not want to get slapped in the face with it. That doesn't make you an irrational dick-hater. It just means you want to do your work without getting slapped with a dick. Anyway, that's point #2.