/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rin thinkpad.png (1920x1080, 821K)

Other urls found in this thread:

psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_A485?M=20MU000MUS
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-14-Laptop-i7-2-8Ghz-8GB-128GB-SSD-NVIDIA-W10-Pro-graming/222997442482?
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
youtube.com/watch?v=kG1tN0zFGWI
amazon.com/gp/product/B0085MPGDG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=n4ru08-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0085MPGDG&linkId=5e4dd8bda2aaf0eacc084a43112aa656
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mns_W25BB8
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_01.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting the A285 PSREF .png for anyone interested

Hyped for a 14" laptop for linux that can run 5k external screens, shame all the internal screens are shit. Just part of the real business experience.

Attached: A485.png (1584x1224, 437K)

any tablet X equivalent?

I've heard the Elitebook 8770w has a swappable GPU, but what about the 8760w? I just found one on Craigslist for $350.

>shame all the internal screens are shit. Just part of the real business experience.
Lenovo seems to be especially bad about this. I think some Elitebooks have a "Dreamcolor display" which is IPS with especially good colors, from what I've heard.

A285 should be August 20, it's the X2*0 sized one.

It should have similar IO but soldered RAM, pic related.

Attached: autism.png (458x542, 206K)

x230 or x230t?

X230T. It guarantees an IPS panel and the non-T 20/30 have a weak point in the palm rest that the Tablets don't have.

>A285
That's a laptop though, I'm looking for a tablet X equivalent.
Fucking hell 11 years and i still can't upgrade from this 1024x768 X61t.

Anyone use an egpu?
Do all cards work with Optimus? I have a 8800gt

Attached: PE4L-XXA_V2.1_4_Gen3.jpg (550x400, 75K)

Reposting since I caught the last thread at the tail end. Last night this guy was working perfectly fine. No issues I can think of. Not even some weird quirk that “I’ll look into later.”

Now this is as far as it’ll go. Caps & Num lock lights up briefly on startup, optical drive buzzes briefly. But the HD never comes on at all (or any of the other lights.) there’s an SSD so I can’t listen for spinning. Screen is blank, no “Thinkpad” screen, lamp doesn’t even come on. I tried holding a light up to the lcd and I don’t see any image. I’ve tried plugging in an external display and nothing comes up there. There’s no error beeps. And I only need a short press of the power button to shut it off, I don’t have to long press to force it. I’ve tried blindly entering my password to log in, but I don’t see any activity from the HD indicating further startup. Only thing I’ve done with it since last night was put it in my backpack and walk for 20 minutes this morning.

I’m stumped.

Attached: FB05A3A3-7572-4D6B-A3B6-5E86747245B0.jpg (1000x624, 117K)

>tfw FHD-modded my E6520
>went to use my 1024x768 P4 Dell Latitude
>mfw

Attached: 1295555756773.jpg (540x535, 79K)

How much do you guys think the A485 will cost, once it finally releases?

psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_A485?M=20MU000MUS

Why the fuck are all the decent spec ones priced +700 buckaroos.

Best business class laptop around 1300€?
I need at least an HDMI out and 15".

Really no idea where to even start looking, help

Anyone else get an X1C6 with the recent sale (Ebates 35% off + 7% cashback)?

I know I need a matte screen since I will probably be in places with lots of windows, but the glossy WQHD HDR screen is incredibly tempting. I'm wondering if I can just put a matte screen protector on it and still have a superior screen to the matte WQHD or if I should just go straight to the WQHD matte screen.

almost tempting to drop another ~US$200 just for the 16GB **onboard** RAM + an i7-8550u even if it is bottlenecked by the cooling

How much would you pay for an 8770w with 24GB of RAM, 1080p display (doesn't say if dreamcolor or not), k300m gpu, 500GB SSD, i7 3630?
I found one on craig and they look cheaper on ebay, but I'm not seeing any that come with this much RAM, and a lot of the cheaper ebay listings have some physical damage.

I would try unseating the battery, pressing the power button a few times, then putting it back in. I was also gonna suggest booting off a liveusb, but if you're not see any sort of POST stuff then it's probably unrelated to the HDD.
Another theory, maybe it suspended/hibernated and is trying and failing to resume? Taking out the battery will probably solve that.

Ok so I removed the keyboard and the metal tabs at the bottom were all bent downwards as if some asshole pried the keyboard out.
Flattened them out and all is good. First Thinkpad and this T430 is so easy to work on :)

Attached: keyboard.webm (640x360, 2.02M)

What about the X220T and X230T?

Rarity is part of it. Business laptops are cheap because they're bought in huge quantities and then offloaded in huge quantities, but often a company cheaps out and gets the worst configurations. This leads to a lot of low-res screens, i5 CPUs instead of i7s, etc.

That, or you're looking newer than necessary. Most of us buy older models.

But that's false advertisement, for she is actually using a Microsoft® Surface© 3™.

Attached: med.jpg (1457x1080, 610K)

In the lookout for a thinkpad i7, used, fhd, usb, ethernet and in good condition for under 550 usd. Is this unreasonable or is ebay just retarded?

Side note: in fine with earlier gens of i7 but what should my cutoff be since you can get some later gens of i5 for cheaper. I would like to keep hyperthreading that i7 offers

It's definitely 16:9 though

I just got this today after lurking in these threads for a couple months.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-14-Laptop-i7-2-8Ghz-8GB-128GB-SSD-NVIDIA-W10-Pro-graming/222997442482?

Attached: chrome_2018-07-12_15-25-00.png (1076x418, 113K)

Thats pretty good but i wouldnt mind spending a bit more for a 4 core system. I thought that i7s come with 4 cores by default

Recently bought a used T530, after letting the battery fully discharge once it won't recharge anymore. I've tried multiple batteries, it'll use charge off an already charged battery, and upower gives me a rate that it's supposedly charging at, but the charge on the battery never increases. Has anybody had similar problems? Running debian by the way.

I was given a lenovo idea pad (dumb design with a touch screen but not transformable to a tablet). The thing is a piece of shit unworthy to be even remotely associated with IBM. The flimsy hinges broke and thus the screen is unable to be closed without further damage. Everything about it is just shit apple quality durability.

What is the last IBM (can be just the badge) made ThinkPad? And what is the current best Thinkpad with a fingerprint reader and largest form factor?

>Thats pretty good but i wouldnt mind spending a bit more for a 4 core system
Then get a T420 and spend a bit more upgrading the cpu.
Or get a T440p and upgrade the cpu, the screen to fhd ips and the touchpad to something usable.

Akariiiin~

how hard is it to replace a screen in a think pad? are there aftermarket ips screens? im thinking of buying a cheaper tn panel think pad and upgrading it to ips when i have the money. is this possible?

G40
Everything after that is worthless lelnovo trash.

I built my 4-core i7 E6520 from a barebones i5 dual to a fully cracked-out i7 quad for under 300. If I wanted to really ball out I'd get the i7 Extreme for it

Could be a chink/old battery. T530 won't charge unauthenticate batteries but a T520 will.
You can fix it with some stuff from github but you prolly got jewed.
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

Just get a T440p and mod it. Buy the most base model one you can and get a FHD screen and quad core seperately. You can even get a chink magic iris pro CPU from china that fits if you don't wanna nvidia's cock in your ass.

Depends on the model but it's usually fairly straight forward. There's official documentation if you don't want to guess how to do it. (HMM) T440p is basically a couple snap clips

IBM thinkpads all had weird issues that crippled them. T61 fits the IBM badge off a T60. There's even a couple 64bit versions available.

W541 i7 4810MQ 16GB RAM /256GB SSD for $500

worth?

Just got my x230 in and added 2gb of ram to its 4gbs and tossed out the shitty 250gb hdd in favor of a 120gb ssd i had spare. Just order a 3 usb port 54mm smart card for it to see what they fuck those were like.

FEELIN COMFY

Attached: 20180712_214522.jpg (2448x3264, 1.7M)

Thanks for the reaponses and i dont wanna look like a chump but how do i go about upgrading shit like the processor or the screen? I thought those are nonreplacable

there are too many thinkpads i dont know what to get

Attached: 1506886407246.png (617x347, 55K)

>I thought those are nonreplacable
these are thinkpads not your standard glued & soldered cuckbook piece of shit
nu-thinkpads are going in that direction too anyway so everything is turning into shit

NICE HAM RADIO

gimme the 146.520

>X1C6
>youtube.com/watch?v=kG1tN0zFGWI
what

is this an X-series thinkpad or a consumer laptop? What is up with that packaging

lol thanks its a BAOFENG UV 5R

priorities
can handle web browsing and youtube>battery life>11-13 inches>1080p>ips or aftermarket ips available>nice keyboard
budget is $500, ideally lower
what should I get?

Thanks!

Attached: 1450581495901.jpg (816x645, 89K)

X220 or X230 with keyboard mod

literally the only option out of what you said

I know I have the same one

Bought an X220 for a family member who was a previous Mac user. I themed it in a way that they will be familiar with. Any ideas on how to trim the packages a little bit?

Also how could I save this OS, DE and other configs so I can load this onto another laptop in the future?

Attached: screenfetch-debian.jpg (1366x768, 102K)

Are Thinkpads BIOS update cumulative or i can just install the latest one?

I don’t recommend the W541. The GPU is right underneath the palmrest and it gets fucking hot. Intel 4th gen don’t run cool either.

You can just install the latest one.

>shame all the internal screens are shit
As long as they don't have bad backlight bleed or uniformity issues, I don't really care how bad the sRGB rating is or how shit the colors are.

Backlight bleed and uniformity issues bother me far more than anything else with displays.

Bought a X220i+Dock+84% 29++ for $60. What should I do with it?

Attached: IMG_20180711_150926.jpg (4000x2250, 2.73M)

Already tried pulling the battery. No success. Same for usb live boot.

What's with that Terminator head?

Should i be worried that my T430 runs at 90°C under heavy use?

It's not going to break, but that's not good either. Could be a sign of the thermal paste drying out or vents being plugged with dust or hair. Probably better to clean it now rather than waiting until it starts thermal throttling.

Repasted correctly and HSF clean, its the NVS5400 version, used for rendering and CAD.

I can feel a huge amount of air coming out it, still its hot enough to burn.

Huh, okay. You could probably underclock something to get better temps, or use an aftermarket heatsink or something, but it's probably fine.

>US$1200 for a T480s, 7% cashback later
>i5 8520u, 16GB RAM, WQHD screen
A485 took too long and now it still feels like I overpaid by a lot. Something in the back of my head keeps telling me i should have just bought a cheap-ass Acer aspire one or even a chromebook.

im going to be pissed at myself if the A485 ends up getting included in the back-to-school sales somehow (I really doubt it considering the P52 but still).

should i be safe buying this for my t430? i know its a genuine battery but idk if the reseller will gip me with it being used or something
amazon.com/gp/product/B0085MPGDG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=n4ru08-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0085MPGDG&linkId=5e4dd8bda2aaf0eacc084a43112aa656

which touhous approve of thinkpads?

Attached: TPG.png (710x612, 258K)

just bought my first thinkpad, a T450S for $450

Did I make a decent choice

no you didn't
shoulda gotten t420

How fast do batteries die in new laptops nowadays? I'm thinking of getting the X1 Carbon 6th gen, but I'm a little hesitant due to the battery not being removable.

Attached: x1c 6.jpg (775x500, 263K)

Wrong. T430

Wrong. T440p

>T450S
if you're going to buy a relatively new thinkpad anyways, why not just go all the way and get one of the current models?

US has a deal right now where it's 35% off with 17% casback from ebates. You could probably get a top-of-the-line T or X series for ~$1200, though realistically you could probably just get the base SSD/RAM and get a really specced out laptop around $800-$1000 if not less depending on what configuration you need.

>battery not being removable.
????

just unscrew it.
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mns_W25BB8

I'd be more about the temperatures. The only RAM slot is soldered on. Keyboard will also be a hassle to replace when you have to (mobo has to be removed) compared to just sliding it off in other models. X1C6 is basically Lenovo's halo device so I'd even say it's more consumer-oriented with focus on the glossy screen, fancier finishes (power button is metal compared to just plastic on T480s), .etc.

i was brainstorming between X1C6 and T480s myself for a couple days and ultimately I opted for the T480s, which i chose over the T480 because the T480s has a better cooling setup than the T480 without a dGPU because Lenovo.

Not that fast, but they die eventually, although replacing the battery on a X1 carbon should be easy, the bottom it's just a lid with 7 screws on it, after that you have access to all the hardware(which is not a lot, the battery take 2/3 of the space)

The NEET and the Hobo probably.

Is the x220/230 significantly more comfy than the t400 series?

900 usd for a full hd/ryzen 5/128gb ssd/8GB ram (single).

Around that seems fine according to my calculations. You could get the same configuration for around 700 bucks on the E480.

Install coreboot (and gentoo)

Any thoughts on a possible A485 release date? You think its possible to get my hands on one before August 5? Should I just go for the T480? Im on a tight schedule since a friend of mine is visiting the states and will be back to my shithole country by August 5.

T440p screen is a few snap clips and it pops right out.

T440p CPU is two screws to pop the bottom cover off, than 4 bolts holding the CPU heatsink on and it pops right out.

alternatively, RTFM download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_01.pdf

got it from a lootcrate, its overpriced crap but its a nice paper weight.

I was going to say that is a huge USB then i noticed that is a X230.

t400 had the better keyboard by far

Attached: Hustler_One_Emblem.jpg (200x200, 41K)

What's the best Thinkpad for a poorfag artist--in other words that shit needs a touch screen and can run Adobe well.

I'm looking at the Yoga 370 but I want to know if there are cheaper options since I'm a poorfag.

T440p with a USB Wacom tablet and a external screen later on.

Look at this nice and thick Japanese laptop. She's only 12.5" but she can take a quad core Haswell CPU AND a second modular battery in her drive bay. Plus, you can touch her with a stylus and insert your peripherals into her expresscard slot.

She might look rough on the outside but she has a lot to offer.

Attached: fujitsu.jpg (1600x1511, 133K)

I like the panasonic thoughbooks more.

>thermal throttled 4lyf with a 47w quad core and inadequate cooling for it
>no trackpoint
>16:9
Your slut belongs in the trash next to Rei

>You could get the same configuration for around 700 bucks on the E480.
You mean with the E485?

Also, I live in the US and I don't think they're releasing it in the US. Plus, the E485 won't have a backlit keyboard. :(

>asukafags

I wish I had a gf like that...

>Pro gaming
my sides
good buy though. I have a T430s with roughly the same specs (i5 but it's a generation newer, they're pretty close)

You really can't go wrong with T410/T420/T430 or the *s versions of any of the above. Keep in mind that most T410 models won't have SSDs pre-installed, but they're great little machines once they have one.

Attached: dak9CQz.gif (431x242, 232K)

X220 or X230 but it's not 1080p, for that resolution you will need to buy a MOD and be prepared to soldier it to the mobo.

Do you really make those? got a shop or something? i want to weeb up my thinkpad too.

Yeah I meant the E485 are you fucking with me they won't release it in the US? I thought they were delaying it that's all... Now I'm REALLY worried. What will I do if the A475 doesn't come out in time!

>are you fucking with me they won't release it in the US?
I have no idea if they are or not, but it's already released in Australia, Germany, and the UK.

Although, I guess we could get it when the A485 releases.

Was just poking around and stumbled on a vid saying that thinkpads made after t420 arent worth it. Im looking at t440p and upgrading it. Should i not get a t440p then if more value is in a t420?

having owned both the t440p btfos the t420 in everything but keyboard and comfy factor, they even use the same screens if you do the chink t420 fhd mod

Thats reassuring friendo

By any chance do you have an x220 to compare the t440p with? Im trying to decide between those two now.

Not really but i have an X61t as my main carry thinkpad and btfos all the other thinkpads i have including the t440p in the comfy factor, for some reason using that thing is incredibly enjoyable even if it's dated as fuck by today's standards.

Between those two I'd pick the t440p if you want raw performance or an x230 + ips fhd mod + *20 keyboard mod if you want an enjoyable but sort of expensive to mod all-rounder.

just got a T420 on ebay for $150

not computrace or locked bios luckily

popped in a i7 2670qm for $50 and this shit is fast as fuck

Something to warm year hearts before you start.

Attached: boot.jpg (1280x800, 85K)

dude if you have computrace you hit the chackpot. we had multiple threads about it it was simple to navigate to one of the foldere where it had a .ini file and you could force computrace to download arbitrary files to their server and better - they fucked up so you could run executable. i remember user was mining crypto on their servers at the time. seems like you got jewed desu.

Bought a X270 and shit gets hot while doing normal stuff like browsing.
CPU goes from 45° to 85° celcius at most.
Now I'm using cpufrequtils to underclock the CPU from 2.4GHz to 1.2GHz and so far seems good.

Any other thing I could do to get lower temps? Thanks

Try reducing the model # by 40 and it should cool things down.

X230 and the T430 should be the ones you're looking at.