Why isn't the federal government doing more to regulate self-driving car tests on public roads?

Why isn't the federal government doing more to regulate self-driving car tests on public roads?

Attached: Capture.png (839x880, 877K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jwz.org/blog/2018/05/today-in-uber-autonomous-murderbot-news/
youtube.com/watch?v=-52xEXhjXmY
github.com/commaai/openpilot
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because transportation is by and large a state matter. Heavy federal involvement will probably only start when self-driving freight trailers begin participating in interstate commerce.

Letting machines do our jobs is a bad thing?

because they cause less accidents than normal drivers

while yes, there have been accidents from obvious things like that woman that was literally in front of the uber car, normal people also commit pretty stupid accidents on daily basis because they are distracted on the phone, sleepy, drunk or just daydreaming

>self driving memes
Lol, learn how to drive, you inbred fucks!

The technical term is "deathbot." You need to stop calling them self-driving cars.

>because they cause less accidents than normal drivers
In theory, maybe yes eventually. But only as long as the company doesn't deactivate all the safety features.

And why would they do that? To commit suicide by lawsuit?

If anything it'll eventually regulate human-driven cars - feds won't trust the filthy masses to drive on their own.

I am a "safety driver" for self driving cars with three years on the job

Attached: 1507155057174.jpg (500x375, 49K)

Jews using cars as assassination tools against anglo-goyem.

Probably less dangerous. I won't be able to drive 2X speed limit anymore.

Like there is no other way to kill people.

What do you think they are going to do besides create more expensive bureaucracy so more fat assholes can waddle around doing nothing until they can collect their pensions?
It's already regulated, but if you are going to put something on public roads there is going to be a risk. Uber wants to scale down and be even more careful so problem solved.. without some government placebo taking money out of your paycheck for the rest of your life.
These crashes boil down to the human back up driver failing just like all the other people failing everyday on the road causing 100 vehicle fatalities everyday and people walking out in front of the cars.

have you seen idiots texting or driving drunk? over 1mil accidents a year, even a beta version of most software would be better than humans....

>And why would they do that?

Because Uber doesn't give a single shit about safety.

>To commit suicide by lawsuit?
They litterally did that the other day. jwz.org/blog/2018/05/today-in-uber-autonomous-murderbot-news/

Honestly, and I'm not fucking around here, but cars without self-driving capabilities should just be outright banned from public roads within 10 years.

There are so many retarded drivers out there. I'd much prefer self-driving cars which even if still ungoing tests would drastically reduce accidents.

Self driving are the future. And that's will they will stay, in the future.

so if the car hits a pedestrian, is it your fault?

probably
the trick is to not hit pedestrians or work for a company that doesnt suck at detection/motion planning

Attached: 1512323267312.jpg (750x500, 66K)

As much as I love driving, I agree.
The future will be summoning a self-driving car via your smartphone, so you don't even have to own one that sits in the driveway 95% of the time.

Human driving will become a leisure activity, like riding horses.

>that doesnt suck at detection/motion planning
a little to late for that isnt it?
What about if the self driving system, runs a red light or a stop sign and the cop stops you. Is it your fault also? Jesus you're just taking the fault for their shitty bugs, is this how its expected to work when self driving cars are a thing? No one will be willing to take liability in exchange for a cheaper trip.

the point of your job is to not let it run a light or a stop sign and know the map
the only people I ever saw do this were not from the location where they were testing

Attached: 1522357323034.jpg (640x640, 48K)

>because they cause less accidents than normal drivers
This is currently false (at least for Uber).

Except they're already statistically much much safer than human drivers.

because somebody has to run over all the retards

youtube.com/watch?v=-52xEXhjXmY

Why haven't you made your new car into a self driving car?

github.com/commaai/openpilot