Anyone else here been involved in IT tech support for a decade with no certs or qualifications and just pretending to...

Anyone else here been involved in IT tech support for a decade with no certs or qualifications and just pretending to know wtf is going on?

Attached: 30.jpg (720x540, 39K)

My only involvement in IT support is fixing their problems for them

I just started getting certified this year and got my A+, CCENT, and will be getting my MCSA later.

What I have learned from Certs is that most of the shit you get tested on is this obscure shit that could easily be google or useless facts about a specific topic.

But real talk tho. 90% of the shit I do is so specialized because every company does things differently which means the certifications do not really help me with the work I currently do or will do in the future. Most of the shit I handle I learnt on the spot or by googling an answer.

I work for a major ISP and people treat me like tech support
had a customer at a large business call in yesterday because they aren't getting their speeds (100 instead of 300). IT is very insistent it's our issue. Check that static is routing, check the upstream and downstream carriers, no time outs, no flux/icfr, no fec errors, correct bootfile, uptime of 60 days.
Get onsite, dude is yelling at me about how we are scamming him, tells me how he is the sys admin etc.
My eyes glaze over when I look and see our modem plugged directly in a 10/100 switch.
You can't be the only one OP

>90% of the shit I do is so specialized because every company does things differently which means the certifications do not really help me with the work I currently do or will do in the future. Most of the shit I handle I learnt on the spot or by googling an answer.
So true.

You don't need any certs or qualifications for tech support.

Certs and other pieces of paper are often just to filter out people that are simply too incompetent for the job

Tech support is supposed to be a stepping stone to system administration, analyst, network admin, etc. If you're tech support for a decade you've horribly fucked up.

Attached: 1531103505631.jpg (640x645, 62K)

>i'm an it guy
>i'm pretty tech savvy
>i've been doing networking for x years

you just know it's gonna be a long call

>hello it have you tried turning it off and on again

Yeah dude working at the glorious botnet what about you

I have the certs and qualifications and I know exactly what's going on. I just don't care. No, Stacy, I don't care that you keep having to jiggle the USB cord. You aren't getting another keyboard to spill Starbucks in. Your ticket is binned, cunt.

Attached: 1440372232024.jpg (480x480, 58K)

8 years
but yes.
2 yr degree no certs
i know what's up though.

Sigh, I'm not even involved with IT at my "company" but I swear I think some of the IT employee's are brain dead stupid. Today for example: We get some equipment from other division that got the ax. This equipment sits around for like 3 months before someone from our IT staff comes down to look at it. All software,etc is there with the thing itself. All the IT dude does is setup the controlling workstation, doesn't even try to connect the "thing" or test to see if the "thing" works. Doesn't connect workstation to our network at all. Just after setting up the workstation he leaves. Will prob take another 3 months before someone else comes down to finish the job.

>My eyes glaze over when I look and see our modem plugged directly in a 10/100 switch.
so how bad did you BTFO him, and what did you recommend he buy?

What's the one where you get to play with power tools and run cables through the walls and shit?

No it's not. It's an industry that leeches of successful products and advertises certifications. So you pump even more money into a piece of shit garbage like Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, Cisco, VMware, just to name a few.

All i have is an expired LPIC1 i did out of desperation because i couldn't find a job because i didn't have anything to prove my experience with. I landed with that a shitty NOC job and from that point on all that mattered was experience. A fucking paper doesn't prove shit, especially since most tests are way to generic and just leads to people memorizing answers to specific scenarios, that's why all the Indians have certificates. They memorize it, don't understand what it's actually about and management is so far away from technical literacy that they have to rely on utter dog shit certificates to sort out the folks that are not familiar with a certain product.

Certificates are a scam. If you did an apprenticeship or went to tech college that should be enough

>If you're tech support for a decade you've horribly fucked up.
Some people are literally so unmotivated they'll happily relegate themselves to a life of tech support and pass up any opportunity to learn. We've advertised junior sysadmin positions internally in the past - my requirements were phenomenally low because we'd rather hire internally, and there's less risk of flight when the person we hire has been with the company for a few years already. None of them could explain how NAT works, let alone why we provide a STUN server.

But nothing pisses me off more than a support guy giving me incredibly vague one-sentence statements like 'the internet is down' or 'the office network is having problems'. What do you want me to do with a statement like that? Call Google? Just apply the most basic fucking principles of your job and investigate the problem instead of playing eye-spy you dipshit.

.....that guy should probably kill himself

>so how bad did you BTFO him, and what did you recommend he buy?
he didn't because none of that actually happened

Where the fuck does one even find a 10/100 switch in this day and age?

>We've advertised junior sysadmin positions
I'd rather have individuals that are specialized in 1 thing than a mediocre all-rounder. Sysadmins are just a economical excuse to have an it-whore who does everything for money.

>None of them could explain how NAT work
I don't remember how that was ever relevant for the work that i did, but then again i'm specialized on linux and never have to touch networking devices, with exception to adding maybe bonding, multupathing or an alias interface.

>tfw didn't graduate from high school
>im in charge of tech support for 100+ police stations

Attached: b6e3d6e3692cd36ec81078bc65c7c7d0.jpg (500x636, 45K)

Not nearly as badly I wanted to, because it isn't professional, I literally tested wifi off the modem on my phone, I didn't even need to hook up my test laptop. I can't recommend equipment because it's a conflict of interest, but he claimed that the switch was accidentally hooked up without his knowledge, which is possible but damn dude you didn't troubleshoot before calling us?
This happens all the time, ITs and Sys admins that are remote support or have 5 to 10 businesses that they manage at once, they get lazy and don't troubleshoot on their own, or worst case they are the IT that was just the owner of site managers friend that knows the difference between a switch and a modem and that's it.
Mpoe room dude, in shared ones, especially in businesses it's like an evolution of IT museum. usually there is at least 1 or more abandoned PBX systems, pots wiring, 25 pair serial port modems, I have even seen thinnet cables with markings that look like they had a vampire tap port in them.
I highly recommend everyone in this thread that does IT to make sure that they at least interact with a couple different PBX systems at some point, because that knowledge is invaluable.
He likely got paid for oncall for that issue too, so he actually made money from his fuckup.

Also, I'll do you one better, this one was hilarious
I was working at a site that was the leasing office for a series of condos/apartments. They called in because they had no dial tone off their fire alarm and they had gotten tired of hitting the silence button every morning and I guess having their alarm company blow up their phones constantly was probably a drag too. So I get led to the Mpoe room with the fire
alarm and the first I notice is that it has two lines (this is really common, usually one is the first provider, and the second is another provider often a cheap local phone company). The second thing I notice is that is absolutely no EMTA in the Mpoe room, and that there is very clearly a cut cat 5 and unscrewed cable jumper hooked up where our etma used to be. Long story short, they ripped out our service because they wanted phones in another room, and were running off the secondary provider which they weren't fucking paying for. So basically they forgot to pay their bill, and disconnected their own fire alarm.
EVEN DUMBER, because this leasing company had multiple accounts, we actually ended up coming back a month later because their elevator phones were out because they didn't pay their bill on that account either. I can't imagine that these guys have a good safety record with their renters.