Be me

>be me
>my "play" computer (as opposed to my "work" computer) is a shitty Lenovo 120S
>running elementary OS Loki
>want to listen to internet radio stream
>go to it in firefox
>every time i click something the audio momentarily blips out
> -_-
>why does this work on my macbook pro work computer...
>try installing Radio Tray
>doesn't work in elementary. wtf. i thought this was ubuntu with a fancy DE
>install VLC
>werks

why is VLC so good?
and why is their logo so fucking stupid?!?!?! a fucking traffic cone?

Attached: 4c3bee54f596cb644b71c44a230135238a86344a_large.jpg (600x600, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3sS8FEnhxls
wbgo.streamguys.net/wbgo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is dumb. I hate it.
But too late to change it now.
It's become synonymous with the brand.

thank you, vlc, for enabling me to listen to some sick shit i'd never heard before

youtu.be/3sS8FEnhxls

Attached: 125e.jpg (4032x3024, 1.94M)

Vlc comes with amazing codecs

link to internet radio stream that doesn't work in ff, otherwise you are a vlc shill.

wbgo.streamguys.net/wbgo

as i said, it works great in ff on my macbook pro, but on a shitty lenovo 120S running elementary OS (a fork of ubuntu) it momentarily freezes any time i click shit in the browser

>wbgo.streamguys.net/wbgo
this stream works in any player, your ff probably doesn't support aac.
Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras package?

no, i haven't installed some random package because "you just need to install extra 3rd party shit to get your OS to work right"

i'm happier just installing VLC and copypasting the url into VLC's nice graphical interface, since i trust VLC instead of random packages that get recommended on Jow Forums

So VLC shill confirmed. Keep your garbage player to yourself, we don't need it here.

honestly i don't even know what you're talking about

my impression was that VLC was an open source project started by some college students, pretty benign

OTOH most other media player alternatives, Quicktime or WMP, are COMPLETELY corporate. and you seem to be a proponent for viewing media in firefox -- which isn't even a fucking media player. on my macbook pro i downloaded adobe reader because firefox for mac SUCKS at rendering pdfs, same thing with a lot of media formats... at least in the specific case of linux/ubuntu streaming audio

i'm not trying to be a "VLC shill" by any means, and if i knew such a thing existed i might have phrased things differently, since i assumed VLC was a nice open-source project that people could trust.

but you're saying we shouldn't trust VLC? why not?

>and you seem to be a proponent for viewing media in firefox
What? I'm using mpv. There is a nice player based on mpv for Mac - IINA, check it out.
>but you're saying we shouldn't trust VLC? why not?
VLC devs are incompetent

LOL NO!

It pulls the shit from same FFMPEG/LIBAV pools like most of the others do.

Elementary is more like Ubuntu with a broken DE

Foobar2000 don't have this problem

Attached: 1522566994909.gif (320x240, 1.17M)

Streaming is actually one of VLC's better suites

It isn't about trusting vlc you mong it's about you thinking vlc is the tits because you don't understand how distros curate packages for non-free (see: liscensing) packages. The restricted extras are just non Foss codecs they're still maintained by Ubuntu dumbo

Yea don't really care about the foss crap

lmao Jesus Christ

>i thought this was ubuntu with a fancy DE
It's outdated, unsecure version of ubuntu run by a bunch of tech illiterate morons who hoped they will get into apple by making this crap.

Not caring doesn't make you any smarter.