Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 256MB – 384MB of RAM but 512MB is the recommended RAM

>Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 256MB – 384MB of RAM but 512MB is the recommended RAM.

Name a better distro for your moms computer.

itsfoss.com/lubuntu-review/

Attached: lubuntu-18-04-review-768x432.jpg (768x432, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

itsfoss.com/lubuntu-review/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who's mum has a Pentium II in 2018?

People in Africa. No joke.

I put it on an HP notebook with a shitty Atom processor. The thing barely ran under XP. With Lubuntu it's still useful 7 years later.

I run Lubuntu on everything including my i7 32GB ram desktop and laptop. It’s just that comfy. Lightning fast, great defaults. Literally nothing wrong with it.

If your mom has a P2 with 512MB RAM, you should be jailed for elder abuse.

Xubuntu needs only marginally more RAM while giving significantly better user experience

In what way is it a better experience? It’s been a while since I used XFeCEs but I don’t remember it being anything than poor man’s Gnome 2. If I wanted that, there’s Mate.

Attached: B6ACE0C4-F83D-4F67-BE86-6DF92356FE2A.jpg (1024x600, 210K)

512 meg is a shitload of ram for a pentium 2. Do most pentium 2 boards even support that much?

Not really, I was running 768MB on a cheap Super 7 board.

Gentoo with mcwm

Based.

Attached: 1526173601476.jpg (467x433, 40K)

I'd say a debian minimal install with openbox or windowmaker is probably lighter.

openbox is heavy as fuck.

LXDE literally uses openbox as the window manager retard.

No wonder it's so heavy.

Debian + lxde

It's slow as shit though.

Void Linux MUSL.

I love the new Lubuntu, it runs great on my Acer Swift 1 having a Celeron N4200, but I recommend to use i3 instead of openbox if you want a performance boost and if you mean to use it on a laptop.

This is interesting. I’ve never thought of openbox as heavy by any means. Is there any functionality differences with i3?

Debian.

Attached: makian.png (2000x2000, 356K)

>256MB – 384MB of RAM but 512MB is the recommended RAM
>"lightweight"

Attached: Image39.gif (512x559, 9K)

>for your moms computer
oh that explains it. we all know slackware will work perfectly and use even less ram than lubuntu. gentoo if you have a ton of time on your hands

i use openbox, it's not the lightest wm... or the heaviest, but for most computers the difference doesn't really matter, there's only a few megs ram difference between most wm's
at some point the look/feel/functionality is worth more than shaving a couple megs

Attached: memory-comp.png (400x300, 35K)

windows 10

I'd definitely choose something else, but I like that something preconfigured is actually that lean. I've been meaning to look into making my own liveusb that has stuff like i3 and my own configs when I boot into it, and potentially also have those programs installed with those configs if you choose to install from it.

Not really. Heavier than some things? Yeah, but not a lot of things.

>saying 'i7' instead of model number of even generation
Retarded consumer detected

Puppy Linux is lighter and just as usable, this thread is stupid.

>itsfoss.com/lubuntu-review/
>The Lubuntu team has been watching the LXQt project progress while sticking with LXDE. However, that has all changed. The Lubuntu lead dev, Simon Quigley, announced that the next release of Lubuntu (18.10) would have LXQt 0.13.0 as it’s default desktop.
Nice. I might give it a shot then.

>can be installed

Doesn't mean it's going to run well

Windows 10, because I don't choose to make my parents suffer because of some autist on Jow Forums

No way, they must have at least Pentium 4

What would you recommend for a Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1.5GB and a Sempron 2200+ 1GB? Last time I tried Ubuntu on them it ran like absolute ass.

Debian + openbox + lxpanel

ie Lubuntu

Is that right. Ive only tried a few different ones and just stick with plain ol debian

>Name a better distro for your moms computer.
High Sierra

>Africa
>enough electricity to run a p4
pick only one

what is with the latest ubuntu lts having a perpetual spinnin ball?

mint xfce is bretty gud

>Name a better distro for your moms computer.
Windows 7 Pro with Avira.

Attached: 372298271971.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

Gentoo. It can run on a 486.

>Is there any functionality differences with i3?
i3 is easier to configure, you can set keybinds to launch every program and most of all it's a tiling windows manager, so it's much more comfortable to use than a standard floating windows manager on a standard laptop, since you mostly want to use the keyboard and to avoid the touchpad.

>i3 is easier to configure
hahaha

>He fell for the spyware distro meme

Attached: 1531368522245.jpg (640x427, 129K)

>Pro
>not Ultimate
What if your mom wants to change the language to Vietnamese or use Bitlocker?

I guess she's just shit out of luck then.

AntiX, Lubuntu it's bloated featureless trash
Otherwise just install lightweight stuff on Devuan

Should have just installed Ubuntu or some shit like that then if you are that bad of a son.

Not even the best ubuntu for mom's computer.
>strives to be as energy-efficient as possible so that it can be used on low-specification and recycled computers.

Attached: CopyQ.wZ3271.png (1029x438, 306K)

>install loonix on mom's facebook machine
>mom doesn't know what command line is
>you don't know what command line is
>no one knows what command line is
>no tendies for a week

>when FOSS software trues to fingerprint your browser

welp

Windows XP

>mate lower than xfce
this is old, faggot

Mommy: 2500k, 16GB, SSD and HD5750.
Daddy: 3300, 16GB, SSD, Quadro something.
Get something decent for your mom, you ungrateful bastard.

>16GB
For what purpose

I think when you set up a machine for someone who doesn't know how to computer, it's a very good idea to pick an OS you're very familiar with. Because generally speaking, you'll be the one maintaining that machine. So I'd install Gentoo.

Attached: 1525009856323.jpg (1200x859, 237K)

hardened gentoo libre running i3 gaps

you need to teach them how to use the computer, not have them rely on you all the time
give a man a fish vs teach him to fish for himself etc.

I'd just buy my mom a newer computer if that's what I'm working with desu :)

Using tabs as bookmarks

But OP.
My mum runs Gentoo, completely independent of my influence. I'm the Ubuntu-dist scrub.