/wt/ Watch Thread

Orient Star edition
This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a functioning watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
[YouTube] How a watch works (1949) | Hamilton Watch (embed)

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2 (embed)

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV (embed)

Old thread: (deleted)

Attached: orient star standard date.jpg (1100x859, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UMSg0AK3kks&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=FEg4LOy4QnA
thingiverse.com/thing:2657571
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In.

Attached: 654sda6fg54sd65f4.jpg (1398x1124, 420K)

bruuh

Attached: seikosumozimbe.jpg (1080x1080, 189K)

Neat.

Attached: 65we4teg65.jpg (1560x1368, 442K)

I got this orient from my grandfather (it's used) I want to change the strap. I really like perlon and nato straps but I'm not sure whether they'll look good on it or not. Any recs or advices are appreciated.

Attached: IMG-20180703-WA0025.jpg (720x1280, 59K)

Hard to say, looks like a unique-ish bracelet setup on that one with the tucked-away lugs. What is the diameter between the lugs? Leather might even look pretty neat.

Attached: 65e4rfg65s4dg65sd4g6s54g.jpg (1231x1512, 568K)

What are some good moonphase watches under 40 mm and not too expensive?

obligatory

Attached: 20180714_154551.jpg (4032x2268, 2.26M)

Beating around the bush didn't seem to work in the /fa/ggot thread, so I'll be direct. What are the nigger brands of the luxury market I should avoid?

Patek, VC and AP.

Yea, I agree the bracelet setup is what I don't like about it, it limits my options. The width is 18 mm

18mm and extends out to what, 20mm or 22mm once it clears the case? NATOs might look a little goofy/thin. You could potentially trim a 20mm/22mm leather or a two piece ballistic nylon to 18mm at the lugs and have it extend out once it clears the case, but honestly that bracelet looks decent enough and might be your best bet. Same problem with this old SNE124 from Seiko. I though about trimming a leather to fit between the lugs and extend out, but decided to just stick with the stock albeit pretty shit bracelet.

Attached: s5d4gf35sd4g3s54gds3g.jpg (1544x1290, 390K)

I just received pic related from a relative (it's Wikipedia's picture but exact same watch). Would this be a decent accurate watch for daily use? I'll admit I'm not huge into watches but I need one for work and I like the submariner aesthetic, from what I've read online the Eco-Drive seems like a pretty decent system but I haven't lurked enough to know.

Attached: Citizen_Promaster_Eco-Drive_AP0440-14F_Diver's_200_m_on_a_4-ring_NATO_style_strap.jpg (2004x2671, 1.2M)

Perfectly adequate daily wear watch, eco-drive is indeed a very reliable movement. Assuming you like how it looks and feels, wear it in confidence.

This.
Looks pretty good too

Awesome, now I just need to decide on leather or nato strap.. hell might just do both.

Never hurts to have both on hand and change at will. I keep stainless bracelets and natos around for my divers. Not a big fan of rubber personally.

Attached: 654adsg65s4adg65as4dg.jpg (2016x1512, 986K)

>Not a big fan of rubber personally.
Neither is your fucking mam mate.

what watch is this

Attached: 6C8403152-130726-sopranos-11a.jpg (1024x768, 715K)

What IS it with Seikos?

High bang-for-buck reliability and one of the widest selection of styles of any watch maker.

Attached: 65465de54f58f4e425d5.jpg (1412x1266, 365K)

i think it'd look best on the stock bracelet but otherwise i'd probably try it on milanese

rolex day-date in yellow gold. typical nouveau-riche 80s watch (I still love it though).

not sure which one but the 1803 is my favourite (its not that one though)

Stay away from Frederique Constant, Hublot and other ETA abominations.

hublot, Royal Oak Offshore, iced out rolexes and pateks are the actual nigger watches.

if you're talking jew brands peddling shit then FC, almost anything under the swatch umbrella (except for maybe breguet), christopher ward, modern Squale (nothing to do with the original), same case with Panerai.

Attached: 20180714_100105.jpg (4032x3024, 3.15M)

Will I look like a muppet if I wear my watch on the underside of the arm? I'm getting terrible rashes from my current watch because it's too big and there's no point in having a watch if I can't wear it

You're going to scratch the fuck out of it.

Who do you think you are, John McClane?

Attached: dh 2.jpg (1920x810, 65K)

Beats scratching the fuck out of my arm

Don't be a pussy.

Rolex's targeted customers

youtube.com/watch?v=UMSg0AK3kks&t=

Attached: 1479059278233.gif (500x281, 412K)

How do you say when you find something disturbing, disappointing, sad and funny in the same time?

Beadfag was right.

Productive trip, one watch traded, two serviced

Attached: 20180714_162256-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.25M)

>seiko SNE393P1
>thought I found my next purchase
>fixed bezel

It would have been a great watch for the price tag

New stopwatch with faux retrograde 1/10 hand.

Attached: 20180710_221059.webm (1080x1920, 2.14M)

Neat. Have any pics of that triple hand?

Did your mum drive you around?

Does anyone know anything about this stop watch? Got it from my Grandma. So far as I can tell it works perfectly

Attached: 20180714_165628-3024x1701.jpg (3024x1701, 1.27M)

I don't. I've had a really hard time finding information on this particular aristo. The much more common 36k stopwatches from them don't have triple-register layouts. Movement looks like this (picture from ebay, not from me).

Attached: Screenshot_20180708-131415_eBay.jpg (1440x2560, 1.61M)

Attached: 20180714_165654-3024x1701.jpg (3024x1701, 742K)

Assuming the markings aren't just for show, it's a 5hz stopwatch (ticks 10 times per second) with a subdial minute totalizer. These were extremely common. Lots and lots of manufacturers in the 30s through the 70s cased up common stopwatch movements, but their brand name on the dial, and sold them. A picture of the movement might lead to more information.

Awesome, thanks for the info. When I get home Ill pop the caseback off.

Since it's swiss made, there's a decent chance it could be a recognizable manufacturer like landedon, lemania, or Venus. But it could also be some no-name, 1 jewel movement, which is unfortunately probably more likely.

Attached: 1495161060967 (1).webm (644x794, 2.86M)

Thanks for that. Are there any other brands that are teetering on the edge of being played out?

Not exactly the same thing or the same price bracket, but Omega releasing 900 special editions of the same watch is pretty pathetic and dilutes the brand.

Rolex has it right, make a couple of versions of the same watch and stick to it. Want a blue Submariner? Fuck you, pay $30,000 for one in white gold or go fuck yourself.

Nice, I really like the way the minute totalizer color segments tell you which seconds hand numbers to look at.

Your former 45KS is in pretty remarkable cosmetic condition.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180714_142633.jpg (2476x2475, 2.49M)

I don't miss it, hope you like it.

The observatory still runs like crap and makes a bad clicking noise when I wind it, although the HF seems to run pretty good.

how can I dress this down a bit but keep it looking sharp? it came with a glossy strap that looks like patent leather which is a no go for daily wear, but I feel that this nato strap is childish looking

should I just get a black nato strap or is there some good alternative?

Attached: IMG_4547.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

Jow Forums is such shit, when is chinkmoot going to fix this bullshit

Attached: IMG_4547.jpg (3024x4032, 2.14M)

maybe this

is that black perlon?

why does the date on submariners change +/- 5s from midnight? even ETA 2824-2 changes on the dot

Because instant change is harder than slow change.

I'm not sure if you read my question correctly? the ETA has instant change at 24:00 on the dot

Maybe like user said, perlon is slightly dressier than a NATO enough to the point that it doesn't look stupid on a dress watch, maybe a single color NATO would work.

>I don't miss it, hope you like it.
I'm really enjoying it so far.

>The observatory still runs like crap and makes a bad clicking noise when I wind it, although the HF seems to run pretty good.
Well that sucks about the Observatory one. Glad to hear the other HF is running better. I guess there may have been some wear on the Observatory? I'll ask him about it when he gets back.

What are the best quartz watches under $100? I've had my fill of automatics.

It's because whatever watchmaker put the hands on didn't put the hands on quite in line with the date change mechanism. It has nothing to do with the quality of the watch movement or date change mechanism.

>single color NATO would work
Single color perlon***

Eulit perlon straps. The one in
is a brown Krystal model, but the Palma model is also nice. They come in a variety of colors.

in that case, why did my Hamilton have more accurately placed hands than a Rolex?

$100 is not much. You might be able to pick up a nice Lord Quartz on yahoo JP. Luch 3055 is cool but I wouldn't call it "nice", and can be had for under $100. Other than that, go to the mall and buy whatever fashion watch you like the look of, you're not getting a meaningfully good movement at that price.

Unfortunately user, I don't know.

are those casios as huge as they look?

Post a vid of an ETA doing this.

Really though, it isn't that impressive. It's like attacking a Submariner for it only having a 48 hour power reserve.

I would if I had my hammy still but I don't sorry. It was the same on ones in store though.
>youtube.com/watch?v=FEg4LOy4QnA
he's a bit fast but you can see it here at 8:50.

I think its pretty shocking that its a more accurate action than a watch that costs 10x its price from a high end brand. You can tell a real $10k rolex from a modern $500 by small details and mostly internal actions (the feel of the crown and so on). I wouldn't buy a luxury watch that couldn't even get a date change in line

It has nothing to do with a "more accurate action", it has only to do with the QC of mounting the hands. If I removed the hands from my watch and replaced them at random without touching the movement in any way, I could get the date changing at 7:30.

Isn't proof of anything, even a Vostok date will click over in a snap.

What anons are talking about is the take up of slack, if for example, the date wheel shows any sign of movement before it actually flicks over.

This.

Align the hands properly and the movement will flip over at 00:00 every time, it has nothing to do with the movement.

yes I understood that before, but what I'm saying is Hamilton objectively have better placement of the hands/QC than Rolex in this instance, which should be completely unacceptable

This is an example of an actual instant date change; there is no movement before the change starts.

This video at 1/8 speed, obviously.

Attached: 20170523_235809_001.webm (720x1280, 293K)

To be clear, I completely agree. But hopefully that's a simple matter of "excuse me AD, the hands on this rolex aren't set properly, plz fix."

the date change on the Hamilton (eta) is instant? there is no movement before the change starts either
that's what I thought, but its what I've seen in the shop myself and on youtube videos of the submariner. It seems like a common, expected tolerance which is what surprises me

>the date change on the Hamilton (eta) is instant? there is no movement before the change starts either
From watching the video, I'd agree, yes

>Hamilton objectively have better placement of the hands/QC than Rolex in this instance, which should be completely unacceptable
You're quite right, should this be entirely the case. I don't know enough about movements to say if it's as other poster says.

This said, would I wear a Rolex Sub that clicked over to the next day three minutes before midnight, over a Hamilton that clicked over exactly at midnight? You bet your gaping shitter I would. Rolex isn't the be all and end all of finishing and QC, you can even find examples quite commonly of the rehaut being quite obviously misaligned, but they are massively advantageous in other areas.

To be honest I think flaws of this magnitude are what gives watches their "soul". It's the kind of feeling that makes you happy when you own a classic car and it starts after ten seconds of cranking in -5C weather. Humans have that retarded fault that makes them assign emotion to imperfection, perhaps it's why I can look at a $100,000 Patek and not desire it what so ever.

who gives a shit about these minute differences? honestly
what level of autism is this?

the level of autism that should be in the QC of a $10000 watch? I don't think I'm being pedantic, I just expect better of a supposedly luxury brand. Why should I not just get a fake if they don't justify the other $9500 with attention to detail?

What is the best watch to spend $10k on which no normie would recognize? I'm going for understated. small (

>no normie would recognize
anything that isn't omega or rolex

> not a recognizable brand to the masses
> small
> understated
You should be able to pick up a dress vacheron at that price. Possibly even a Lange 1815 used, though that might be a stretch.

>Lange 1815
darn, it looks nice but those numerals aren't dressy enough

Is a $12k watch really 12x as good as a $1k watch?

Pretty much agree, the quality of watches is in the details. A fake and a real watch will look near 1:1 in pictures but extremely different in person.

no but the fucking hands should be aligned.

just wondering if there's some fundamental difference here
like how does one justify a $25k watch?

I understand that it's a status symbol etc.
but in objective terms
is a 25k watch worth it?

there are definitely diminishing returns. Generally its to do with the quality of the movement itself, the level of finishing and the amount of labour involved (actual watchmaker doing things by hand with truly autistic detail). Omega and Rolex both have large markups for marketing/status, as shown by the massive price difference in grey market.

It's pointless to try to decide whether a price of a luxury good is worth it. The only meaningful thing to do, and the thing that is right to do, is to say whether a watch is good compared to other watches of comparable prices.

>It's pointless to try to decide whether a price of a luxury good is worth it

so what you're saying is no, it's retarded
thanks for the info

It's the same reason buying a Rolls Royce is expensive. You are basically paying for the attention to detail and the amount of manual work involved in producing the product.

Does anyone aside from Casio make cheap digital watches that are worth checking out? I want something more sleek and understated than the whole G-shock aesthetic

>I want something more sleek and understated than the whole G-shock aesthetic

F91W

What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: defvrgbtnhytbgrfve.jpg (900x900, 146K)

And round, I should add, but I've been thinking about getting one of those as well

unironically jews

Explain.

i printed and assembled this model of a dual ulysse escapement: thingiverse.com/thing:2657571

it's pretty neat - doesn't jam, and runs for about 30 seconds from a full wind, but i broke off a piece of the winding mechanism with too much torque so i have to power it by hand until i get a chance to reprint.

Attached: output.webm (886x720, 1.6M)

Neat. Doesn't necessarily need any non printed parts then?

>thingiverse.com/thing:2657571
That's really cool user, very nicely done.